Metal Storm logo
Dimmu Borgir

Original post

Posted by Warman, 02.10.2006 - 14:19
I can't believe that there is not an official thread about Dimmu Borgir. I just recently started listening to this wonderful band. Their first album "For all tid" is perfect and extremely beautiful.

So post your opinions and stuff that has anything to do with this band!
14.03.2007 - 11:19
SETHULHU
yogi_lb@hotmail.com
Elite
Written by [user id=5080] on 13.03.2007 at 02:03

you must be gay

Written by [user id=5080] on 14.03.2007 at 01:05

shut up you fag, just got my first warning in 2 years for your fault!

one warning did not help, so i banned you from posting for 2 weeks to understand the meaning of warnings. we do not allow such behavior, especially intentional and not to mention persistant.
----
This site is great. FOR ME TO POOP ON.

reBubblefuckered !!!BAAAALEEETEEED!!!
14.03.2007 - 18:24
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
I'm going to see Dimmu Borgir I think next month. Maybe not the best band, but I love them none the less. Haha.
15.03.2007 - 04:37
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
So does anyone want to say why they think Dimmu has allegidly sold out? Aside from them gaining popularity, and having more marketing than other black metal band's?

Perhap's people are anylizing In Sorte Diaboli the wrong way. Since it is a concept album and tell's a story (I presume that lyrically each song tell's bit of piece's of a story as the album progresses,) so each track kind of add's on to the other, which would make the entire album one big song. If this is the case, then I don't imagine Dimmu sat down and just wrote a bunch of song's as individual track's, each having their own attribute's and "personalitie's," but rather they took a concept or idea and broke it down into 9 segment's and built one thing to the other. Beside's, I thought BM was about atmosphere, this album as a whole has it's own atmosphere and feel to it, and as you progress through the album it stay's pretty consistant in it's feel thus keeping the story more fluid, and every now and then an event occur's which should reflect in differant part's of a song.

Not overly related but people did that with the Matrix film's, they looked at "Reloaded" and "Revolutions" as seperate film's, one is almost all action and the other is a bit more plot with only a handful of action sequence's, but if you stick the two film's together it balances out.
15.03.2007 - 09:50
Skalden
Account deleted
I havnt said that Dimmu sold out, i was just expecting something a bit more from them (a little more varied songs, some in norwegian etc). I fully support that bands start to get a larger fanbae and what not. what i dont support is like what metallica is doing... fishing for more cash
15.03.2007 - 11:27
SETHULHU
yogi_lb@hotmail.com
Elite
i might not be the 100% right person to ever talk about Black Metal. but for me Dimmu Borgir has a few AWSOME Songs, (not the true black style, but songs such as Progeneis of the great apocalypse, puritina??, burn in hell cover, and others).

i never was afan of the Whole Black genere except for some songs of some bands, Dimmu being the best for me. thus, when i heard the new album i was amazed at what they have become, if anything (for me) this is great music with amazing vocals for Dimmu, i heard the album once (today morning lol) but i was headbabning while i was wearing my suite and tie, and you be sure i will give it more attention when i get back home after a long day of work and iam sure i will get to appreciate it more.

for Fans of Black Metal and old Dimmu, iam sure and can see actually, that they hate this new album. and i understand their frustration on what they became. and iam sure they will never reach the point of where MEtallica reached, even though they are still my favorite band (pre-black album)
----

15.03.2007 - 12:06
Skalden
Account deleted
Hmmm... well, I think im gona have to change my oppinion on some of the clean vocals on ISD. Part way through "The Invaluable Darkness" there is a clean section which is actually quite well done. I dont really have anything against bits of clean vocals in BM, however i though that the opening cleans in (for example) "The Serpentine Offering" didnt fit att all...
15.03.2007 - 17:20
Sunioj
Reading the posts, Im going to check out the new album....Seems like some people like it, I might fall in that category, who knows?
15.03.2007 - 17:33
Skalden
Account deleted
well,.. its worth giving it a try atleast. Dont reject it just based on what other people have writen, take a listen and then see what you think
15.03.2007 - 21:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I still haven't heard it, but I was very disappointed when I read that their new album wouldn't be as symphonic as DCA. Right after I first heard DCA, I hoped that they would have acrued enough money to be able to record a full album with an orchestra, but I guess that didn't happen.
16.03.2007 - 09:13
SETHULHU
yogi_lb@hotmail.com
Elite
Written by Sunioj on 15.03.2007 at 17:20

Reading the posts, Im going to check out the new album....Seems like some people like it, I might fall in that category, who knows?

i suggest you start off listning to Death Cult Armagedon, the first 3 songs are timeless and three of them have a good deal of genere riffs.

this album made me appreciate Dimmu Borgir, but you still wont find me listning to their older stuff or any other pure black metal bands.
----

17.03.2007 - 12:27
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
In Sorte Diaboli didn't really hit me at all. I have to say the first song is a kickass, but the rest sound to me watery as the bigger part of DCA did. DCA at least had a couple of kickass songs, whilst In Sorte Diaboli has merely one. I'm not really disappointed, but I guess I expected something new from DB. Ah well, still hooked on EDT
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
18.03.2007 - 17:28
Sunioj
Written by SETHULHU on 16.03.2007 at 09:13

Written by Sunioj on 15.03.2007 at 17:20

i suggest you start off listning to Death Cult Armagedon, the first 3 songs are timeless and three of them have a good deal of genere riffs.

this album made me appreciate Dimmu Borgir, but you still wont find me listning to their older stuff or any other pure black metal bands.

I have DCA already, I was talking about In Sorte... but there are those songs that do stand out on DCA, other than that I probably said this a thousand times, the orchestral phases are addicting but when the DB actually plays I get bored. With the exception of Progenies, Allegiance, and Vesbyrd of course.
19.03.2007 - 00:55
AntaeusM
Elite
I got some mixed emotions about In Sorte Diaboli. It is better than Death Cult Armageddon, but I am not sure yet if I enjoy it or not(does that make sense?). Dimmu Borgir gave me a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth after the decisions they made the last few years. For now it sounds like an enjoyable album, but I don't know for how long. Death Cult Armaggedon was enjoyable for 3 spins or so. I hope In Sorte Diaboli stays fun for a lot more spins. And otherwise..too bad. There are plenty of other good new releases from other bands anyway.
19.03.2007 - 01:03
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
After listening to the album quite a few time's I think I have some favourite's, perhap's those of you who just want to download a couple of track's to check the album out may appreciate these.

The Fundamental Alienation
The Sacriligeous Scorn
The Foreshadowing Furnace

I particularily like The Fundamental Alienation. After flipping through the track's I've got to say again that I actually think it's a fairly solid album, it's not breathing taking or extravagant but it's good and easy to get into and just enjoy.
19.03.2007 - 22:46
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
I dont like it very much as nothing stands out and grabs me.....so what if its a "themed" album, sometimes you dont want to listen to a whole album to get a feel for it or whatever bullshit it means, sometimes you just wanna listen to some really good songs and unfortunately I couldnt find any on the new album. The symphonic elements are just about gone (compared to earlier albums anyway) this brings more focus on the guitars, which turns out to be a bad thing since there are hardly any memorable riffs on the album.
23.03.2007 - 05:17
Tromatic
Account deleted
When it comes to Dimmu Borgir I love their older stuff, but their more produced/symphonic type black metal just doesn't interest me. Not that i'm against that kind of black metal I can listen to Bal-Sagoth without getting bored but I dont know, dimmu never "did it for me" The earlier albums (like for all tid/stormblast) I think had a very raw edge to it and their basic (compared to now) keyboard melodies were far more atmospheric/darker then the newer stuff. Just my opinion though.
23.03.2007 - 10:41
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Clearly, the prince of darkness is a huge lover of keyboards. First impressions are good and strong, but with each repeated listen there are nuances and parts that come to life and make the songs even more memorable and sometimes the opposite. A friend of mine sent me a copy of their so-called forthcoming album "In Sorte Diaboli", it's interesting, even if I've never been attracted by this Norwegian symphonic black metal band, In Sorte Diaboli has many catchy songs except the overloaded and unbearable keyboards. There is no doubt in my opinion that they still compose songs that are as I said before very sinister, misty and even brutal, It seems weird to compare Moonspell to Dimmu Borgir, but In Sorte Diaboli are pretty much the same, Of course not a hell of similarity but quiet close to it. And that's why I liked this release the music is a perfect example of modern symphonic black metal and while they probably don't please some of their old fans , this is the direction the band has taken and they make no apologies about that. At least they have gained another fan from Metal Storm .

So all in all, In Sorte Diaboli is still very much Dimmu Borgir, so I can say if you enjoyed their last 2 albums you will like this one as well.
24.03.2007 - 14:44
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5342] on 23.03.2007 at 05:17

When it comes to Dimmu Borgir I love their older stuff, but their more produced/symphonic type black metal just doesn't interest me. Not that i'm against that kind of black metal I can listen to Bal-Sagoth without getting bored but I dont know, dimmu never "did it for me" The earlier albums (like for all tid/stormblast) I think had a very raw edge to it and their basic (compared to now) keyboard melodies were far more atmospheric/darker then the newer stuff. Just my opinion though.

Well to be quite honest the nwe album isnt really symphonic at all and more guitar-driven if you ask me. Compared to DCA, the symphonic elements are just about non-existent.
24.03.2007 - 15:56
Silvanus
Account deleted
It is still hard for me to say whether this album is better than DCA simply because on one hand, it lacks of the symphonic elements of it's predecessor and of it's few but kickass memorable riffs (Vredesbyrd), but on the other hand, it is generally less boring than DCA and the riffs, tho not amazing, are by far nastier than everything I heard before from Dimmu. Still there is no doubt, the atmosphere of the first albums got flushed once again down the toilet.
24.03.2007 - 23:07
Tromatic
Account deleted
Written by [user id=1909] on 24.03.2007 at 14:44

Written by [user id=5342] on 23.03.2007 at 05:17

Well to be quite honest the nwe album isnt really symphonic at all and more guitar-driven if you ask me. Compared to DCA, the symphonic elements are just about non-existent.

Haven't listened to the new album at all actually, maybe I should give it a listen then.
03.04.2007 - 16:15
Hyvaarin
So I notice that they're touring with Underoath. Now that is one SERIOUSLY bizarre pairing...
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
04.04.2007 - 04:43
Rexmortis
Account deleted
Not sure what has happened to just enjoying music for music's sake. The new Dimmu is an excellent piece of music. Whether the "clean" vocals or typical style turns you off the intricacies of arrangements are well done. All and all a great effort. Personally "Black Metal" is kinda silly with their supposed bad ass diabolic personas but I enjoy the music. I enjoy bands which break off from the norm and try to tread new water. Getting away from the typical cookie cutter black metal growl was/is a good idea. Any time you blanket a genre into one style it will surely die. So for all those who hate because Dimmu is not as "evil" as they use to be or did not produce something as good as their last. That happens. Let me remind you they are human and can not always create musical masterpieces again and again. Perfect examples lie in every great band that has existed. Creativity will evolve/change/digress...deal with it....where's Ozman/Sethulu it's been a long time.....
04.04.2007 - 19:13
Sunioj
Written by Hyvaarin on 03.04.2007 at 16:15

So I notice that they're touring with Underoath. Now that is one SERIOUSLY bizarre pairing...

dude, that is weird...its like Zao touring with Old Mans child...
05.04.2007 - 16:58
Olli
I only bought Death Cult Armmagedon, it wasnt a bad album but it wasnt good enough to make me want to buy any more. I enjoyed Blood Hunger Doctrine, Allegiance and Vredesbybrd though.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
07.04.2007 - 02:01
Robstar
Dimmu Borgir can really kick some motherfucking butts...
I got a Dimmu Borgir / Old Mans Child demo album ... Devils' path is impressive.
----
Nothing is unreacheable
07.04.2007 - 04:13
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I find In Sorte Diaboli to e a pretty enjoyable album. They've lowered their level a bit, but I still think thy're a cool band. I'm not the one to talk about Blakc Metal of course, but I've heard Dimmu's albums and for me the bests are Enthrone Darknes Triumphant and Death Cult Armaggedon. ISD is enjoyable, but not outstanding, IMO.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
09.04.2007 - 01:38
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I happen to quite enjoy the new single, and the passage with Vortex on vocals is actually quite orgasmic. We'll see how the rest of the album goes from there.
----
The force will be with you, always.
30.04.2007 - 14:44
baldur
Yesterday i saw an commercial on mtv it was about the new dimmu album i just thought man whats wrong with these guys did metal ever need comercials to sell albums??? NO so why this commercial? maybe because the new album sucks and they need some promotion to earn some money^^
30.04.2007 - 15:34
Basso
Account deleted
Written by baldur on 30.04.2007 at 14:44

Yesterday i saw an commercial on mtv it was about the new dimmu album i just thought man whats wrong with these guys did metal ever need comercials to sell albums??? NO so why this commercial? maybe because the new album sucks and they need some promotion to earn some money^^

Or maybe they ARE COMMERCIAL. I wonder which it is ^^. Anyway Satyricon also had lots of commercials going in sweden when they released Now Diabolical.
30.04.2007 - 16:06
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by baldur on 30.04.2007 at 14:44

This is pure bullshit.

As i said earlier , they should seriously stop making music now