Metal Storm logo
Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

Original post

Posted by Valmont, 30.06.2006 - 03:13
Have anyone seen this documentry about metal music? I saw it on TV it was really good. An anthrpologist guy named Sam Dunn travels all around the world to interview metal music artists from USA to Norway and some other places i guess and makes a deep analysis about metal music. Basicly he simply breaks down the subject real easily that it even catches a non-metal person or a metal hater stereotype. You should check it out. I also need info about how and where to download it urgently. Anyone?
11.01.2008 - 22:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
yeah, i think sammy missed the boat entirely on that last point...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.01.2008 - 12:50
Samuel550
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 10.01.2008 at 02:07
Most of the intelligent Metalheads I know are more inclined to go see Killswitch than Mayhem any day.

Agreed, although I don't believe that every Mayhem fan or Black Metal fan takes that music as seriously as the Metalheads in Norway do.

And on the language thing, I only curse a lot because their just words to me. Some human beings just don't feel right unless they say 'fuck' at least once a day. But sure, I'll do my best to refraim from swearing. Won't guarantee it though
20.01.2008 - 00:05
FeskarN
a really great documentry. Someone who knows anymore documentrys about metal?
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
04.03.2008 - 04:21
Vitokogvy
we are doing great without you!! Sammy's last words... it is a great documentary and well i want to know if there are more documentarie about metal or any books you can recommend!
----
Victor!! i will live until u die!
http://bloodyashes.blogspot.com
http://www.heavymetal.com.pe
04.03.2008 - 04:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Vitokogvy on 04.03.2008 at 04:21

we are doing great without you!! Sammy's last words... it is a great documentary and well i want to know if there are more documentarie about metal or any books you can recommend!

Unfortunately its easier to recommend against certain books & documentaries than it is to find good ones. For instance, avoid the book 'Bang Your Head-The Rise And Fall Of Heavy Metal' its such a load of crap, they spend about 3/4 of the book focused around Aerosmith and Kiss. It barely mentions anything from any extreme heavy metal sub genre, in fact, the only time they do is for about 3 lines mentioning Venom, then followed by a wad of really dry pages about Kiss. I tend to find the most boastful documentaries/books claiming to be the final say on metal to be the worst of the lot, thats what I think made this one very good, it was just one guys outlook, he never claimed his views to be the Be all-end all.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.03.2008 - 23:22
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I still remember it. It was very exciting to watch. It made me really think about some things and it portrait the reality of metal, I think that is important. There is something real behind all that passion.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.03.2008 - 13:23
Black Winter
I heard some months ago that Samual Dunn is working on a new documentary that talks about different cultures of metal, from europe to china to iran..
Has anyone got an info about that?
----
Once the people decides to live, destiny will definetly obey..

T u n i s i a F r e e !
10.03.2008 - 00:16
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Written by Black Winter on 09.03.2008 at 13:23

I heard some months ago that Samual Dunn is working on a new documentary that talks about different cultures of metal, from europe to china to iran..
Has anyone got an info about that?

Yeah, Dunn is working on a follow up, there isn't much info on it yet but it says so on wikipedia "A follow-up to the film currently titled Global Metal is in production." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal:_A_Headbanger%27s_Journey
10.03.2008 - 00:17
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
This was a very good documentary, very well done and very intertaining.
10.03.2008 - 08:03
inccubuss
My wife bought me that, i have to say that i've never heard of this documentary before but i was blown away with the quality and straightforwardness of it. Instantly became on of my favorites DVDs. In one way, it made admire Dio even more than i already did when he invites Dunn to his house to give him a better interview because he didnt have much time when they met at one festival(which i cant remember). That showed that he really cares of making a good image of metallers

Cant wait for the Global Metal documentary, i hope he goes to my little Brazil, we have plenty of good unknown bands there and metal scene is growing by the minute. Even tough i don't live there anymore (now i live in Finland ) i still follow everything that happens over there. Cavalera Conspiracy is a good example !!
09.06.2008 - 13:32
6hell6fire6
I heard about this documentary, and than I try to find it. Finally after 1 mounth I found it and I admired it. Samual Dunn has made a good job!!!
09.06.2008 - 14:07
Dagorwen
It was realy great, but only shown in one cinema in Paris, the french title was awsome (I translate it in English) "Metal: travel to the depth of the Beast". It confirmed my own theories when he made references to Wagner, for I love his music as much as metal.
Besides, he brilliant to find such an excuse to have great fun and meet his favourite bands! Sociology is really great for being paid for having fun! I even heard about a teacher in the Vienna University who is "dctor es vampirology" being paid for studying vampires!!! Isn't it great ?!
18.06.2008 - 11:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 6hell6fire6 on 09.06.2008 at 13:32

I heard about this documentary, and than I try to find it. Finally after 1 mounth I found it and I admired it. Samual Dunn has made a good job!!!

but he totaly forgot about DOOM metal
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.06.2008 - 11:19
Black Winter
Written by Bad English on 18.06.2008 at 11:10

Ya totally,the word was not mentionned,not even once !
----
Once the people decides to live, destiny will definetly obey..

T u n i s i a F r e e !
18.06.2008 - 11:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Black Winter on 18.06.2008 at 11:19

Written by Bad English on 18.06.2008 at 11:10

Ya totally,the word was not mentionned,not even once !

It was commercalised story becaus eto much attention to main streem bands, ok BM thay didnt say nothing about German, and Finsih metal so ...
----

18.06.2008 - 14:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Damn, why not also whine about the fact that epic metal, gothic metal, symphonic metal, grindcore etc weren't mentioned.
Jesus Christ, this was 90 minute documentary.
And btw doom metal is probably the most marginal subgenre of metal alongside epic metal. Only a couple of doom bands are well-known the rest are doomed (yes pun intended)to live their lives as marginal unknown bands. How else can one explain the fact that a brilliant band such as Warning only draws around 60 people to their one gig in the Netherlands? Or that a line-up consisting of Funeral, Saturnus, Mar De Grises, and In Age And Sadness draws just around 130. Or that last year's Dutch Doom Days wasn't sold out in a venue that can hold only around 500 people?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.06.2008 - 14:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.06.2008 at 14:24

Damn, why not also whine about the fact that epic metal, gothic metal, symphonic metal, grindcore etc weren't mentioned.
And btw doom metal is probably the most marginal subgenre of metal alongside epic metal. Only a couple of doom bands are well-known the rest are doomed (yes pun intended)to live their lives as marginal unknown bands. How else can one explain the fact that a brilliant band such as Warning only draws around 60 people to their one gig in the Netherlands? Or that a line-up consisting of Funeral, Saturnus, Mar De Grises, and In Age And Sadness draws just around 130. Or that last year's Dutch Doom Days wasn't sold out in a venue that can hold only around 500 people?

also about US power metal, there wasnt it, that movie was like VH1 documentaries about metal, mainstreem bands but not undergrond

about doom, Im so into it that I dont know anymore how think simle metalhead who isnt doomster and dont know how much bands he/she knows

Only Candlemass are know more how others doom bands, imo one of comercial sucsesses into doom
----

18.06.2008 - 14:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 18.06.2008 at 14:45

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.06.2008 at 14:24

also about US power metal, there wasnt it, that movie was like VH1 documentaries about metal, mainstreem bands but not undergrond

about doom, Im so into it that I dont know anymore how think simle metalhead who isnt doomster and dont know how much bands he/she knows

Only Candlemass are know more how others doom bands, imo one of comercial sucsesses into doom

Actually the best known doom band is My DYing Bride and NOT Candlemass, somehow even Candlemass has problems selling out 1200 seater venues whereas MDB does that easily.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.06.2008 - 21:00
Candlemass
Defaeco
I think it touches some interesting issues but stays pretty superficial.
The general idea was great, I hope the next time something of this kind will come up it will be more serious and investigating.
20.06.2008 - 22:24
Dagorwen
well the general idea is to go to awsome gigs and have backstage passes paid by the university... (that's why it's so good to do long studies ^^)
21.06.2008 - 02:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Candlemass on 20.06.2008 at 21:00

I think it touches some interesting issues but stays pretty superficial.
The general idea was great, I hope the next time something of this kind will come up it will be more serious and investigating.

it's a 90 minute documentary covering a huge swath of territory. what were you expecting?

it's not like he had the resources to do a 16 part, 16 hour documentary breaking down metal into deep investigation the history of subgenres. nor would there by a market for that.

ultimately he might have only scratched the surface, but what he did worked well.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.06.2008 - 19:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I was just curious as to why CoF were in norweigan black metal?
----
- George Carlin
26.06.2008 - 02:31
Black Mass
I agree with Marcel H. It was a 90min doco and I think Sam covered a fair bit of material for the time he had. He explained the 'origins' of metal (remember that bit about Cream?), went through some of the bigger bands we all know and love (Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judsa Priest, Motorhead, etc) and didn't leave out the 'newbies' of the genre (as in been around for 10 years of less). I thought his flow charts of the genres and bands that fit into them was pretty cool too. Especially like the parts when he was at Wacken, just totally bewildered by the magnitude of it. Looking fwd to his next installment.
26.06.2008 - 19:12
Tórnach
Account deleted
Was a very cool documentary, watched it just a few days ago. Nice to get a feel of the roots of metal, and it's also pretty interesting to see that most of the metal artists are pretty damn intelligent in interviews and shit. Not only that, it made me really wanna go to Wacken...

Some day...some day...
26.06.2008 - 19:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=33438] on 26.06.2008 at 19:12

and it's also pretty interesting to see that most of the metal artists are pretty damn intelligent in interviews and shit.

Especially Mayhem.
----
- George Carlin
26.06.2008 - 19:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 26.06.2008 at 19:49

and it's also pretty interesting to see that most of the metal artists are pretty damn intelligent in interviews and shit.

Especially Mayhem.

You mean Necrobutcher? Attila is an intelligent dude, for sure.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.06.2008 - 20:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lucas on 26.06.2008 at 19:59

Written by Doc G. on 26.06.2008 at 19:49

Especially Mayhem.

You mean Necrobutcher? Attila is an intelligent dude, for sure.

Oh I dont doubt it. I think he just caught them at the wrong time, because Ive seen/read other interviews with Necrobutcher and hes not dumb either, but in that particular interview he was being a slobbering idiot.
----
- George Carlin
26.06.2008 - 20:45
Tórnach
Account deleted
The guy he interviewed from Gorgoroth freaks me the fuck out -- that guy is awesomely scary, seriously. "What inspires your music?" (pause) "Satan."
26.06.2008 - 21:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Black Mass on 26.06.2008 at 02:31

I thought his flow charts of the genres and bands that fit into them was pretty cool too.

For me the flow charts were the only part of the film that pissed me off. They seem a little...off?
----
- George Carlin
27.06.2008 - 05:55
Black Mass
Written by Doc G. on 26.06.2008 at 21:16

Written by Black Mass on 26.06.2008 at 02:31

I thought his flow charts of the genres and bands that fit into them was pretty cool too.

For me the flow charts were the only part of the film that pissed me off. They seem a little...off?

I bet that would've have been 1 part of the whole doco that he spent hours going over trying to make sure he didn't piss people off!