Metal Storm logo
Languages You Speak/Would Like To Speak/Are Learning

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 18.08.2007 - 17:35
The idea is simple... Talk about the languages you speak, and the ones you would like to learn. What are they? Why do you like them? What is that you don't like about them? How and where did you learn them? What is your mother language?

Personally...

- (As you *might* have noticed) I speak English. Not really well, but I think I can say I know the basis. But it is not my first language: French is. I don't want to sound pretentious or anything, but I speak French really well. Yet, it is the third language I learnt.
- My mother language is Arabic, it was the first one I learnt as I am Moroccan and was born in Morocco. But my parents speak French more than Arabic, and I started going to a French school when I was 5, thus, I started forgetting Arabic. I was still as able to understand it as before, but I couldn't speak it anymore, past my 8th birthday. (Some other important factors were involded, but it is not necessary to mention them.)
- The second language I learnt was Spanish, because of/thanks to Spanish TV channels and my grandmother, who only spoke Spanish and Arabic. But when we left the city where we were living (Tanger, just in front of Spain), I stopped watching Spanish channels, and left my grandmother as well, and then, forgot Spanish too .
- That's when French comes. It became my first language around 8. As the French school system wants it, I started learning English at 11. And I unexpectedly didn't have any difficulty with it. I have always had the best mark in that subject, without making any effort for that. Unfortunately it is still not enough. I realised my level was not as good as I thought it was.
- The next year, (I was 12) I chose Latin, but I had to stop after a few months, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to start Spanish the following year. I started re-learning Spanish at 13.
- But since I took Spanish at 13, I couldn't take German at 15. I had too many subjects and the teachers wouldn't let me add German. Yet it is the language I really want to learn. I like the sonority of it, and I watch German TV channels just to hear it, even if I don't get a word of it .
- As a consequence, the two languages I can speak the best are French, and English.

As you see the topic is vast, there is a lot to say...
19.09.2007 - 18:01
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
@Frodo of steel
Sorry about that but it is kinda hard to differentiate between sarcasm and ignorance over the internet.
As for English speakers ruining every language they speak I don't think it's so bad, my German accent is decent but most people who were in my class couldn't form it worth a damn. And My friend Arian Totalis does pretty good when speaking Spanish.
19.09.2007 - 19:09
Ernis
狼獾
@Torelli....for me both British and American English speakers are both awful at the pronunciation of other languages......
@Judas....I think I may get the idea of saying the wallyapallyam word....it would be best if I heard it said out in real life.....I don't think it's more complicated than Llannfairpwllgwyngyllgogerichwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch......btw, I didn't copy-paste it...I typed it by roughly remembering the pronunciation.....I know Welsh spelling rules...a bit...I still checked for a source to avoid spelling mistakes....
20.09.2007 - 00:07
Torelli
@Frodo: I see. I suppose it have something to do with your dislike the english language in general.

@Judas: as you come from australia, I have a question to you. How does the swedish accent(of english) sounds in the ears of a person with english as native language? Is it soft or rough? Is it clearly pronounced or do we mumble? can it be compared with accents from other countries? The reason why I ask this is beacuse we swedes tend to think that we are perfect in english, but I'm sure we also have our "moments", so I'm curious what kind of faults we do in the pronunacation.
20.09.2007 - 00:32
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 20.09.2007 at 00:07

I'm sure we also have our "moments", so I'm curious what kind of faults we do in the pronunacation.

Dunno about the pronunciation since you're writing here but one "moment" is that you tend to add the -s to a verb while using an auxiliary verb....you can't do that, it's wrong...

Never say: "He does speaks/Does it makes?/How does she likes...etc

DOES SPEAK/DOES MAKE/DOES LIKE etc.....never use an S after the auxiliary verb DO....

Except that your English is perfect....at least it seems to me...
20.09.2007 - 03:33
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Ernis on 19.09.2007 at 19:09

@Torelli....for me both British and American English speakers are both awful at the pronunciation of other languages......
@Judas....I think I may get the idea of saying the wallyapallyam word....it would be best if I heard it said out in real life.....I don't think it's more complicated than Llannfairpwllgwyngyllgogerichwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch......btw, I didn't copy-paste it...I typed it by roughly remembering the pronunciation.....I know Welsh spelling rules...a bit...I still checked for a source to avoid spelling mistakes....

Ahh, good old Welsh. The language which seems to avoid vowel sounds as much as possible, to replace them with 'W' and 'LL'. The point I was making about Tamil though was that even simple, common words (like 'banana') are bloody weird to pronounce. I'm sure there are languages that are just as complex, like Welsh, Finnish, Hungarian, and probably Basque too (grammatically, at least).
Written by Torelli on 20.09.2007 at 00:07

@Frodo: I see. I suppose it have something to do with your dislike the english language in general.

@Judas: as you come from australia, I have a question to you. How does the swedish accent(of english) sounds in the ears of a person with english as native language? Is it soft or rough? Is it clearly pronounced or do we mumble? can it be compared with accents from other countries? The reason why I ask this is beacuse we swedes tend to think that we are perfect in english, but I'm sure we also have our "moments", so I'm curious what kind of faults we do in the pronunacation.

Ahh, the Swedish accent. Well, we definitely can differentiate between Swedes and Germans. While you guys don't generally speak as hilariously as a stereotypical Swede, like 'Skwisgaar Skwigelf' from Metalocalypse, you do have the whole "make words plural when they're not supposed to be" and "change the form of a verb" thing going on. Despite that, you guys are usually very good, because we can always understand everything you say on the first rendition. In terms of accents, I think you stress vowels a lot more than we do (especially long ones), but all in all it makes for a charming accent. So, I'd say it's a 'soft' accent, rather than a 'hard' one.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
20.09.2007 - 21:23
Torelli
Ah, now that you guys mention it, I did notice some unecacery "s" in my post. I guess misstakes allways happen, no matter how many years you have studied the language. It's intresting though to see how diffrent accents is, I think accents can be just as intresting as the language itself. Sometimes it can be even more intresting than the actual language. For example I'm not so kin of arabic, but I do love the accent.
20.09.2007 - 22:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 20.09.2007 at 21:52

I hate Arabic....it's such an ugly-sounding language that even German(Germanic languages don't have the prettiest sounds) sounds beautiful beside it.....and Arabic accent also makes me feel uncomfortable....sorry...that's my taste....

Man I love it and i wanna learn it etleats basic but letters and wrighting from right to left well sice I shood write whit left hand , but damn fucking teacher damige my handwriting
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.09.2007 - 22:27
Ernis
狼獾
@K7.....nah, I'll better study on Chinese..... 你们好.....我是佛多....我学汉语......yeh...hello people, I'm Frodo....ok...bye....I'll study on this language....

And K7....I fear you'll be most prolly illiterate in Arabic...no offence...

I personally don't see anything enjoyable in a language which has, for instance, a sound which can be described as someone vomiting....
I didn't make that up....it was written in the textbook of a schoolmate who studies this language...for correct pronunciation, stick yer fingers in yer throat...aye....
21.09.2007 - 04:10
Judas
The Amputator
I think the Arabic script is the most artistic that we have in the world today. It is absolutely beautiful to look at, really flowing and attractive. The actual language, on the other hand, is quite harsh to the untrained ear, but all the same it is very poetic if you can understand it. I can't understand a lot, but many of the delectable words and expressions in Hindi and Urdu are adapted from Arabic, though to a lesser extent than from Persian, which IMO is even better a language.
----
21.09.2007 - 23:33
Torelli
Written by Ernis on 20.09.2007 at 22:27

I personally don't see anything enjoyable in a language which has, for instance, a sound which can be described as someone vomiting....

I think that is close to how swedes would describe danish. But you can't deny that arabic has character atleast! Not exactly a language that goes by unnoticed. I agree with Judas here, the Perso-Arabic scripts are one of the most beautiful scripts in the world. I think only the Devanāgarī script surpass it actually. I've also heard that arabic and persian poetry are supposed to be one of the best poetry in the world.
21.09.2007 - 23:45
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 21.09.2007 at 23:33

I think that is close to how swedes would describe danish. But you can't deny that arabic has character atleast! Not exactly a language that goes by unnoticed. I agree with Judas here, the Perso-Arabic scripts are one of the most beautiful scripts in the world. I think only the Devanāgarī script surpass it actually. I've also heard that arabic and persian poetry are supposed to be one of the best poetry in the world.

Perhaps.....well, I still have to point out that Arabic and Persian aren't even distantly connected since Arabic is Semitic and Persian is Indo-Germanic language.....did you know? And were you aware of the peoples of Pakistan and India who have retained their original blond hair colour and fair eyes....prolly because they were living in such landscape which enabled them to be isolated enough and keep their original phsyique which most of their kinsmen have lost during centuries......

About Danish....when I was in Kobenhavn this summer and had a beef salad then I was delighted how this was written in Danish....a Germanic language after all....you know that bull is ox in English....so in Danish the "beef salad" was approximately like this "salat okse"....okse being ox then....

Thing is that "okse" means "vomit" in Estonia....not as a verb but as a noun describing the product of throwing up.....
22.09.2007 - 00:12
Torelli
I'm well aware of that persian and arabic is very distant from each other, however the scripts lies very close to each other. I think that the persian script actually is based on the arabic alphabet. But i did not know about the later part, about the people in pakistan and India, intresting to know actually.

I most have been quite a suprise for you to read that kind of message at a resturant, did the salad taste any good? But jokes aside, language diffrences can lead to some amusement from time to time.
22.09.2007 - 01:26
Ernis
狼獾
As much as I'm aware of, Persian language does use Arabic writing....they're muslim, that's why they use it....in the past this language used cuneiform writing.....
22.09.2007 - 15:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

I didn't make that up....it was written in the textbook of a schoolmate who studies this language...for correct pronunciation, stick yer fingers in yer throat...aye....

Then you will probably also hate Scottish (when they use the
  • sound as in Loch and Dutch (all of it)
  • ----
    Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
    Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.09.2007 - 16:46
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.09.2007 at 15:54

• I like scotisch I can speek whit taht dialect heheh but doo you understand german whit out learning or dutch ppl learn it in school?
    Dunno how but I can sometime sunderstand dutch hehe
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    22.09.2007 - 17:07
    Ernis
    狼獾
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.09.2007 at 15:54

• I can read Scottish Gaelic and I use Scottish/Irish English daily......"ch" is different.....this hasn't anything to do with the Arabic "aeyn" for instance.....
    22.09.2007 - 18:05
    Judas
    The Amputator
    Written by Ernis on 21.09.2007 at 23:45

Written by Torelli on 21.09.2007 at 23:33

Perhaps.....well, I still have to point out that Arabic and Persian aren't even distantly connected since Arabic is Semitic and Persian is Indo-Germanic language.....did you know? And were you aware of the peoples of Pakistan and India who have retained their original blond hair colour and fair eyes....prolly because they were living in such landscape which enabled them to be isolated enough and keep their original phsyique which most of their kinsmen have lost during centuries......

There are literally like 10 people in the whole of India with truly blonde hair, and that's usually due to admixture with either the English or with Central Asians (e.g. in Kashmir, some people have light brown hair because they have lots of Central Asian blood). In Pakistan there are a few more, because the Pathans (Pashtuns) of the North-West Frontier Province and Federally Administered Tribal Areas, as well as the Kalash and Nuristani peoples have significant admixture with Central Asians and Iranians, with some anthropologists suggesting that they are the descendants of Alexander the Great's army that tried to invade India. Fair eyes are present in larger numbers, with even my mother having light brown eyes and my grandfather's being blue-grey. The further north and west you go in India, and the higher the castes you meet, usually the people are fairer in skin and hair (comparatively speaking, of course - no-one would look at my family and say that we're European). In fact, Kashmiri Pandits (Brahmins from Kashmir, such as my mother's family) are seen today as being the people closest in genetic makeup to the original 'Aryans', rather than the Nordics as thought in years past.

As for Persian, Arabic and the Indian languages, well, Persian is an Indo-European language while Arabic is not, and it is specifically an Iranian language of the Indo-Iranian subfamily. Arabic is Semitic, yes, but since the Muslim conquest of Persia (7th and 8th centuries CE) many Arabic words have been loaned into Persian, and the script has been adapted to fit the Persian language (interesting point: the Persian language is called Farsi, but it really should be Parsi; the reason for the change is because Arabic does not have the 'p' sound, so before adapting the script they couldn't write the real name, and wrote it with the 'f' sound, and this name stuck). Old Persian and Vedic Sanskrit are only removed by a few centuries and thus are very similar - I can understand the language of the Zoroastrian Avesta (i.e. Old Persian) because I have a decent knowledge of Vedic Sanskrit, which is the progenitor of all Indo-Aryan languages (e.g. Hindi, Marathi, Punjabi, Urdu, Bengali, Kashmiri etc). Many Indo-Aryan languages also have loanwords from Persian and Arabic: the standardised Urdu lexicon is almost 60% Persian, while retaining its Indo-Aryan grammar, many words in Hindi and even Marathi are loaned from Persian and Arabic e.g. the words for chair ('khursi' in Hindi and 'khurchii' in Marathi from Arabic 'kursi') and ground ('zamin' in Hindi, 'zamni' in Marathi, from Persian 'zameen'). Most Indo-Aryan languages are written in variants of Brahmi script, such as Devanagari, Gurmukhi and Bengali; the only exceptions are Urdu, Punjabi and Kashmiri, which are written with Perso-Arabic script (the latter two are like this only in Pakistani areas; in India they are written in Brahmi-based scripts).

I'd say the most beautiful-sounding languages that I've heard (and I haven't heard many Slavic ones, only Polish, Czech, Slovak, and Russian, nor many Turkic, African, Native American or Arctic languages) would be Bengali (very sweet), Italian (very passionate), Urdu (has all the best elements of Hindi), Persian (so poetic), Russian (just sounds smooth), and Sanskrit (the 'mother of all languages'). Sure, I'm a little biased towards South Asian ones, but they're the ones I've heard most and that I understand best. The languages I like least (sorry to those who speak them, I'm sure they're great but to my ears they're not so desirable) would be the various dialects of Chinese (they sound like honking to me) and the Bantu languages of Southern Africa (they sound like grunts and blabber mixed). I hope I haven't offended anyone too much. I'd have said Norwegian as well, and probably Finnish too, because the former is pretty harsh and has wheezing and gargling sounds and the latter is so staccato, but there are too many awesome songs in those tongues!
    ----
    22.09.2007 - 18:14
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by Judas on 22.09.2007 at 18:05

I'd say the most beautiful-sounding languages that I've heard (and I haven't heard many Slavic ones, only Polish, Czech, Slovak, and Russian, nor many Turkic, African, Native American or Arctic languages) would be Bengali (very sweet), Italian (very passionate), Urdu (has all the best elements of Hindi), Persian (so poetic), Russian (just sounds smooth), and Sanskrit (the 'mother of all languages'). Sure, I'm a little biased towards South Asian ones, but they're the ones I've heard most and that I understand best. The languages I like least (sorry to those who speak them, I'm sure they're great but to my ears they're not so desirable) would be the various dialects of Chinese (they sound like honking to me) and the Bantu languages of Southern Africa (they sound like grunts and blabber mixed). I hope I haven't offended anyone too much. I'd have said Norwegian as well, and probably Finnish too, because the former is pretty harsh and has wheezing and gargling sounds and the latter is so staccato, but there are too many awesome songs in those tongues!

About Slavic Russian and Ukraian also bulgarian sounds simmilar I sugest you learn ukraian because its key labguage to other slavic, about czceh, slovak its almoust like one langauge and polish sounds simmlar, for you maybe same, but its totaly diference, and about ex-yugo well its like one langauge
    Can not describe slavic because I know em, but since you mentioned italian i can agree its awsome romans shood be proud
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    22.09.2007 - 23:02
    Torelli
    Written by Judas on 22.09.2007 at 18:05

I'd have said Norwegian as well, and probably Finnish too, because the former is pretty harsh and has wheezing and gargling sounds and the latter is so staccato, but there are too many awesome songs in those tongues!

Norweigian harsh? I've allways thought of it as one of the most melodic languages out there, it's allmost like they sing when thet speak, and when they actually sing in it, it's magical. Truly an extremly beautiful language. The same applies to Icelandic, as they also "sing" when they talk. But I guess I'm a bit partial here, as the languages are closly related to my own language, escpacially Norweigian as it also recembles the dialect I speak. But I agree with you about the Russian language, it just feel like it flows on naturally whenever someone speak it. Slavic languages in general are beautiful, as I've stated earlier. Recently I've found out, to my suprise , that I'm starting to like the Turkish language. It just look so beautiful in written form and it's very emotional in slow aucustic songs. As for languages I dislike, there are none. Just languages I couldn't care less about such as Japanese, Hindi, Italian, Spanish, Greek and so on.

@Frodo: How does the cuneiform script look like?
    23.09.2007 - 02:24
    Ernis
    狼獾
    @Torelli.....cuneiform means the marks that one cuts into soft clay with a wooden stick......you know...these old clay and stone tablets....
    23.09.2007 - 11:37
    Torelli
    Written by Ernis on 23.09.2007 at 02:24

@Torelli.....cuneiform means the marks that one cuts into soft clay with a wooden stick......you know...these old clay and stone tablets....

You mean the proto-writing system developed in Mesopotamia? In Sweden we call it "kilskrift".I don't think I've heard it in english before, so I couldn't link it with anything.
    23.09.2007 - 15:15
    Lupas
    Maximus
    If someone wants to learn Maltese lang , pm

Slavic is most dificult lang . to learn
    ----
    "For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
    23.09.2007 - 15:32
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by Lupas on 23.09.2007 at 15:15

Why you say so man slavic is not dificlut and never was IMO Finish are moust dificult to learn

Wanna see what Frodo says if i write estonian like in english
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    23.09.2007 - 15:45
    Lupas
    Maximus
    Written by Bad English on 23.09.2007 at 15:32

Why you say so man slavic is not dificlut and never was IMO Finish are moust dificult to learn

Well when i was in poland i hardly know any words , like thank you and number 3 but i can only say that not write them
    ----
    "For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
    23.09.2007 - 15:46
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by Lupas on 23.09.2007 at 15:45

Written by Bad English on 23.09.2007 at 15:32

Well when i was in poland i hardly know any words , like thank you and number 3 but i can only say that not write them

Polish Czceh and Slovak are moust hardes slavic lang. but I can underdstan dall of them lests ay when I be there I wont lsot because dont knowing them
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    23.09.2007 - 16:13
    duyhung
    Account deleted
    Really want to learn Italian, maybe because of some Italian-lyric songs of Rhapsody Of Fire
    23.09.2007 - 19:20
    Deus Ex Machina
    Kariasakis, really. What are you talking about? I know it may seem like i keep giving you shit about everything you say and I don't want it to seem that way but most of the time you really do not know what you're talking about. And you really aren't the person to determine what is difficult and what is not. Most of what you say really doesn't have much to do with reality and the only way you'd actually be able to tell what is difficult and what is not would be if you knew all the languages yourself.
    Which you don't. And you can defend yourself by saying that you actually do know because you understand most of the slavic languages. But let me tell you now, you don't.
    Everything you've ever tried to write to show your knowledge was wrong, very wrong. You don't speak the languages, you don't know the grammar.
    So please... don't. It makes no sense.
    23.09.2007 - 19:34
    Ernis
    狼獾
    Deus Ex Machina....don't be very harsh on K7....see...some people think they can speak a language if they understand a word or two....K7 is prolly one of them.....
    23.09.2007 - 19:37
    Deus Ex Machina
    Oh i see. I know how to introduce myself and say "I love you" and "Good morning" , in Korean. I must know the language then.
    23.09.2007 - 19:42
    Ernis
    狼獾
    I've watched films in Finnish language....I know the language....(actually I don't...)