Metal Storm logo
Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

Original post

Posted by Valmont, 30.06.2006 - 03:13
Have anyone seen this documentry about metal music? I saw it on TV it was really good. An anthrpologist guy named Sam Dunn travels all around the world to interview metal music artists from USA to Norway and some other places i guess and makes a deep analysis about metal music. Basicly he simply breaks down the subject real easily that it even catches a non-metal person or a metal hater stereotype. You should check it out. I also need info about how and where to download it urgently. Anyone?
27.06.2008 - 16:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Black Mass on 27.06.2008 at 05:55

Written by Doc G. on 26.06.2008 at 21:16

Written by Black Mass on 26.06.2008 at 02:31

I thought his flow charts of the genres and bands that fit into them was pretty cool too.

For me the flow charts were the only part of the film that pissed me off. They seem a little...off?

I bet that would've have been 1 part of the whole doco that he spent hours going over trying to make sure he didn't piss people off!

The flow charts weren't made by him, they were made by Martin Popoff, and like Dr. Rock that was the only part that pissed me off as well since they were way off.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.06.2008 - 16:56
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Did anyone else notice the mistake about the Filthy 15? Dunn said there were 8 Metal bands on that list. But when you look at the list it has 9. He forgot Mercyful Fate.
----
(space for rent)
27.06.2008 - 18:14
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
i didn see somthin about Doom Metal at the movie. did he forget about Black Sabbath's most influenced genre?!!
27.06.2008 - 19:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.06.2008 at 16:18

The flow charts weren't made by him, they were made by Martin Popoff, and like Dr. Rock that was the only part that pissed me off as well since they were way off.

Like Accept being in power metal and CoF being in Norweigan black metal. Martin Popoff...why does that name ring a pretty big bell?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.06.2008 - 20:16
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
COF might have been flagged as as Norwegian BM because they originated around the same time and had some ties to that scene... wasn't Emperor touring with them at the time that one of Mayhem's musician's died? (forget which offhand - dead or euro)

while their style has shifted drastically since, perhaps the categorization was based upon origin.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.06.2008 - 20:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@BitterCOld

Yeah I guess. I think Gorgoroth toured with them as well. But I found it kind of ironic considering theyre not actually Norweigan, then again, I guess the same could be said for a lot of Gothenburg bands out there.
----
- George Carlin
27.06.2008 - 20:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 27.06.2008 at 19:23

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.06.2008 at 16:18

Like Accept being in power metal and CoF being in Norweigan black metal. Martin Popoff...why does that name ring a pretty big bell?

Well, Accetp power metal isn't too much a stretch of the imagination snce the are one of the originators of the euro power scene more or less.

Martin Popoff writes (or used to write, I dunno) for Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.06.2008 - 22:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.06.2008 at 20:49

Martin Popoff writes (or used to write, I dunno) for Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles.

Thats where I know that name from! Yes he still writes for them. But thats bizzarre, Id expect a flow chart like that to come from someone at Metal Hammer, but BW & BK is usually very reliable.
----
- George Carlin
27.06.2008 - 22:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 27.06.2008 at 22:12

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.06.2008 at 20:49

Thats where I know that name from! Yes he still writes for them. But thats bizzarre, Id expect a flow chart like that to come from someone at Metal Hammer, but BW & BK is usually very reliable.

Whilst Popoff is a GOOD writer (i own several of his books on albums of the 70s 80s 90s, and Top 500 Heavy Metal songs of all time) he is quite off when it comes to genres and rgoundbreaking albums and bands and all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.06.2008 - 14:28
Freak
I watcht that movie and it was good... I can not wait the second part .... but the funnyest part of movie is the interview with Mayhem
30.06.2008 - 01:32
slayer_pwns
Account deleted
Written by Freak on 29.06.2008 at 14:28

I watcht that movie and it was good... I can not wait the second part .... but the funnyest part of movie is the interview with Mayhem

"whos saying that? fuck them!
yea ive got a comment. FUCK YOU!"

haha that part was classic
05.07.2008 - 22:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Anyone seen Global Metal yet? By the same guy, its a sequel but about Metal all over the world. Im probably seeing it on monday.
----
- George Carlin
05.07.2008 - 22:50
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 05.07.2008 at 22:44

Anyone seen Global Metal yet? By the same guy, its a sequel but about Metal all over the world. Im probably seeing it on monday.

I didn't think Global Metal was out yet. Is it?
----
(space for rent)
05.07.2008 - 22:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 05.07.2008 at 22:50

Written by Doc G. on 05.07.2008 at 22:44

I didn't think Global Metal was out yet. Is it?

I have a few friends who have already seen it. And there was a review in the paper. Maybe its just out in Canada (seeing as the dude is Canadian) and independent films tend to have delayed releases in some countries, so maybe just Canada so far?
----
- George Carlin
05.07.2008 - 23:07
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Yeah, it doesn't look like it is out in the USA yet. I might just have to drive over the border and get it.
----
(space for rent)
05.07.2008 - 23:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 05.07.2008 at 23:07

Yeah, it doesn't look like it is out in the USA yet. I might just have to drive over the border and get it.

I dont think its out on DVD, Im going to this theater in my downtown that generally plays independent films.
----
- George Carlin
05.07.2008 - 23:22
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Ah, well if it is hitting small theaters, we have a small art theater here in Asheville that is nothing but indipendent films (or limited release). It might show here.
----
(space for rent)
09.07.2008 - 21:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 05.07.2008 at 23:22

Ah, well if it is hitting small theaters, we have a small art theater here in Asheville that is nothing but indipendent films (or limited release). It might show here.

So I just saw Global Metal last night
At least 10X better than Headbangers Journey. Far more educational! With 'Headbangers Journey' I enjoyed it but through most of it I was going "I knew That already...", whereas with this one it completely opened my eyes, at least 2/3 of the bands in it Ive never even heard of, and most of the info I never knew beforehand. The subject is a lot clearer as well, with the first one it seemed that the question at hand or the point of it was just a side note or to give an excuse for making a metal documentary. With this one the subject is globalization of metal, and Sam Dunn does that by exploring countries that arent widely known for metal, those countries were:
Brazil
Japan
India
China
Indonesia
Israel
Iran (well, there passports got denied while trying to get into Iran so they arranged interviews in Dubai with Iranian metal heads/Iranian bands)

One of the best interviews happened to be with Lars Ulrich. Sam was interviewing some Iranians and they said if it wasn't for downloading they wouldnt have even heard metal at all. Then they cut to the interview with Lars, it went something like this:
Sam: "So some metalheads from other countries say that without the internet they wouldnt have even heard metal, what do you think of downloading?"
Lars: "......"
Sam: "...."
Lars: "Uhhh, I think its great. It really.....brings everyone together! I guess we were just a little bewildered by this technology when it came out in the 90's Blah Blah Blah"

Bullshit.

The interviews with the Iranians were really good, they spoke of how they got beat up by the cops and had there heads shaved for having long hair and wearing metal tshirts...made me feel like a spoiled little shit. And while in Japan they interviewed the lead singer of Sigh, and they were discussing how theres a big division between visual kei and actual metal, and how the two almost hate eachother

Sam: "What makes visual kei not metal?"
Mirai: "because metal is supposed to be something thats....cool"
-end of interview-
One of the most powerful scenes in the movie is when they show a clip from a metallica concert in the early 90's in Indonesia, and a riot broke out outside the arena walls and police/army were beating up people trying to get in, even people who had tickets, and the clip was taken from the stage, in front of a sold out stadium, and outside the stadium walls you can see big riot fires billowing up.
It was almost shocking how much I actually learned from this movie, it sounds like a really cheesey thing to say, but I feel like a whole new metalhead after seeing that movie. But I wont ruin it any further, even though I could talk about it for hours....
----
- George Carlin
10.07.2008 - 00:41
Muhannad Saleh
www.jorzine.com
its really great one .. i luved it . although theres alot of interviews with alot of bands i laughed so much on them .
13.07.2008 - 16:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i liked it, but by far the funniest parts were the black metal interviews. they're almost like unintentional black metal satire moments... i mean gimme a break:
presenter: What is the most prominent influence in your music?
Gaahl from Gorgoroth or whoever the fuck that was: (sips wine)...Satan...
presenter: And what does Satan mean to you?
Gorgoroth dude: (thinks)...Freedom.

and the drunk interview...
13.07.2008 - 22:25
Remus
Written by Valentin B on 13.07.2008 at 16:51

presenter: What is the most prominent influence in your music?
Gaahl from Gorgoroth or whoever the fuck that was: (sips wine)...Satan...
presenter: And what does Satan mean to you?
Gorgoroth dude: (thinks)...Freedom.

and the drunk interview...

Dude! That part was SO AWESOME! It was so and very
En also the Mayhem interview mentioned a couple of posts above: "Fuck them! Fuck you!"

Actually that was the only really-cool part about this movie!
It mostly focused on the history of metal. That's all good but i would've prefered it if they concentraded more on the last 15 years as opposed to the first.
I guess it's aimed at a more mainstream audience that perhaps isn't clued up on the whole metal deal.

But... A decent effort all things considered!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
09.08.2008 - 18:08
Judas
The Amputator
Saw 'Global Metal' just now, and it's pretty damn cool! Just the right mix of serious Metal talk and randomly hilarious fans to work. The whole theater laughed right at the beginning when Gaahl's "Satan" moment is revisited! I hadn't heard of some of those East Asian bands before (Tang Dynasty and Sex Machineguns), and this has made me want to check them out. Also, it's amazing what we take for granted in the Western world!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
23.08.2008 - 21:23
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
i think it came out in the US my friend said he saw it somewhere downtown in the independent film theatre
02.10.2008 - 19:58
Black Winter
It must be out on DVD now because I downloaded it yesterday in dvdrip quality
----
Once the people decides to live, destiny will definetly obey..

T u n i s i a F r e e !
03.10.2008 - 01:40
Hamird
Lieutenant
I recently got it, and watched it.. What I enjoyed most was Necrobutcher's interview, Alcohol effected in his speech, but like him I think that Mayhem is the best metal band.
03.10.2008 - 04:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Judas on 09.08.2008 at 18:08

Saw 'Global Metal' just now, and it's pretty damn cool! Just the right mix of serious Metal talk and randomly hilarious fans to work. The whole theater laughed right at the beginning when Gaahl's "Satan" moment is revisited! I hadn't heard of some of those East Asian bands before (Tang Dynasty and Sex Machineguns), and this has made me want to check them out. Also, it's amazing what we take for granted in the Western world!

Its fantastic, the whole theater laughed when Sam Dunn asked Lars Ulrich what he thought of the internet/downloading. The last movie was kind of like "oh, cool movie, but I already knew all that", but with this one I have to admit I was completely oblivious to like 75% of the bands, I learned something.
----
- George Carlin
04.10.2008 - 12:48
Holosade
Account deleted
I personally thought it was complete rubbish - it seemed very much the interview went out on occasion to patronize the people involved. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what he was trying to do, and I would love to see someone do it in the future. But having Mayhem mouth off at you and having Gaahl just generally not take you seriously does not make a good documentary. I feel from what he said he was a big fan of older rock like Dio and Iron Maiden and he just didn't know how to approach the underground band members.

It's a shame because I know he did put a lot of his own money into it, just the end product just wasn't what it should have been.
12.10.2008 - 22:12
ylside
Staff
Written by Judas on 09.08.2008 at 18:08

Also, it's amazing what we take for granted in the Western world!

Amen !

(About Global Metal) This documentary was pretty neat I just saw it... Although I don't know what to think about the part with the Indonesian guy having a swastika... Such documentary is supposed to make people less prejudiced about the rest of the world but I think giving such guy a voice only reverses the process...
12.10.2008 - 22:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=35264] on 04.10.2008 at 12:48

...and he just didn't know how to approach the underground band members.

What underground bandmembers? Gorgoroth, Mayhem, Enslaved sure as hell aren't underground.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2008 - 05:37
iaberis
Advice Troll
Yeah, my girl had that video in her laptop and we saw it together. Nice thing to watch.
I loled when the Gorgoroth dude was asked about what influences their music and he thought, and thought and thought about it and since he couldn't find an answer, he just drinks his wine and says "Satan!"
----
Bitch! Please