Metal Storm logo
Funeral doom

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 19.05.2006 - 08:49
One of the most underground style's of metal, with very talented bands. I have been listening to a lot of funeral doom lately, and I really like it. The slowness and the atmosphere is just amazing. My fav bands from this genre would be Shape Of Despair, Nortt, Worship, Remembrence, Pantheist, Tyranny, Skepticism, just to mention the daily bands. What about you guys?
31.07.2009 - 07:16
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Ag Fox on 30.07.2009 at 20:55

Written by [user id=5080] on 29.07.2009 at 18:10

I hadn't been able to get the official version without those annoying voice-overs in some songs...
i suggest you send me a private message then
thought i disagree with all the other things mentioned in your post. definitely not my type of thing

Haha don't worry, I already got my original version...

This is being a great year for funeral doom... that finally released Stabat Mater full-length is also amazing.
12.08.2009 - 10:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Ahab's newest sounded great upon first listen, although that was two weeks ago and I can't listen to it now. I definitely need to pick up that Stabat Mater disc as well.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.08.2009 - 13:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

The Divinity Of Oceans by Ahab is probably one of the very best funeral doom metal albums ever released.... I'm obsesed with it, even although I hadn't been able to get the official version without those annoying voice-overs in some songs... to this date, the doom metal album of the year.

I'm very curois about it. I loved the debut and I don't know if I'm going to buy it now [I'm want to buy a bunch of cds this days] So... How is the album compared to the debut? Is there any changes that are interesting to hear?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.08.2009 - 19:36
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.08.2009 at 13:41

The Divinity Of Oceans by Ahab is probably one of the very best funeral doom metal albums ever released.... I'm obsesed with it, even although I hadn't been able to get the official version without those annoying voice-overs in some songs... to this date, the doom metal album of the year.

I'm very curois about it. I loved the debut and I don't know if I'm going to buy it now [I'm want to buy a bunch of cds this days] So... How is the album compared to the debut? Is there any changes that are interesting to hear?

I loved The Call Of The Wretched Sea, it was definately one of the best doom metal albums of 2006, but The Divinity Of Oceans is immensely superior. It is less heavy, even with some kind of darkwave vibe and lots of clean vocals, but it creates an atmosphere of space and solemnity that makes it superior!
13.08.2009 - 21:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=5080] on 13.08.2009 at 19:36

I loved The Call Of The Wretched Sea, it was definately one of the best doom metal albums of 2006, but The Divinity Of Oceans is immensely superior. It is less heavy, even with some kind of darkwave vibe and lots of clean vocals, but it creates an atmosphere of space and solemnity that makes it superior!

Mmmm that seems really interesting. The debut was heavy as hell so a less heavy album and with that darkwave vibe you said seems like a good change since I don't want them to make a copy of the debut. As long as the atmosphere of the mighty ocean is still there, crushing my ears then I don't fear musical changes.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.08.2009 - 09:37
Thanntos
I like Ahab's newest. The atmosphere the the previous makes, is very heavy and very dense.

Check out 'Le mirage de l'idéal' by Arcana Coelestia, my favorite Funeral Doom release of the year.
The only downside to it, is the shitty production.
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
23.10.2009 - 22:13
dgyimesi
Hi all,

hungarian gothic metal band Dreamgrave released its first demo in july, please give a listen at www.myspace.com/dreamgrave or download from www.dreamgrave.com , especially for the track called 'Dearth Deep Within'. It's close to funeral doom.
13.12.2009 - 02:15
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite
Well, of course there are the classic ones: Funeral, Skepticism, Pantheist, Thergothon, Mournful Congregation, Shape of Despair, Worship etc. and all those bands to start with

But some other bands I didnt see many people mention (or I missed them) that are really good are (in no order just from top of my head):

The Ethereal, Solicide, Torture Wheel, Tyranny, Wraith of the Ropes, Nortt, Until Death Overtakes Me, Despond, Monolithe, Doomsquirell, Reclusiam, Fungoid Stream etc.
----
13.12.2009 - 03:50
the stranger
What does "etc." stand up for? Most of the bands you mention I know, but maybe on that etc. there's stuff that is not even slightly known and it's great. So it would be excellent if you could give a few more names.
13.12.2009 - 03:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by the stranger on 13.12.2009 at 03:50

What does "etc." stand up for? Most of the bands you mention I know, but maybe on that etc. there's stuff that is not even slightly known and it's great. So it would be excellent if you could give a few more names.

one of the bands that I would state under etc. would be Profetus. Another one could be Night Of Suicide
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2009 - 03:59
the stranger
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.12.2009 at 03:55

one of the bands that I would state under etc. would be Profetus. Another one could be Night Of Suicide

I'll try and check them out. Does any of them have a myspace site?
13.12.2009 - 04:04
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite

Another one would be Beyond Black Void (really good stuff), or another one would be Oktor. Night Must Fall and Funerary Dirge are also really good.
----
13.12.2009 - 04:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@the stranger...

or

Abske Fide, Ahab, Arcana Coelestia, Asunder (although load of lsudge in there), Ataraxie, Beyond Black Void (a lot of drone in there), Blood Of The Black Owl, Bosque, Catacombs, Celestiial, Colosseum, Comatose Vigil, Consummatum Est, Depressed Mode, Despond, DoomThrone (although loads of black there as well), Doom:VS, Ea, Esoteric, Evoken (although some call it death/doom), Faal (although loads of black and post rock in there), Funeral Moth, Funeralium, Hierophant, Longing For Dawn, Mordor (from Switzerland, although they are actually all over the place), Mournful Congregation, My Shameful (though mostly death doom tbh), Night Must Fall, Nortt, Paganus (although loads of sludge in there as well), Persistence In Mourning (but that depends on the release, casue the guy is actuallly all over the place), Remembrance. Rigor Sardonicus, Senthil, Somnium Mortuum, Stabat Mater, The Funeral Orchestra, Until Death Overtakes Me, Wijlen Wij, Wormphlegm, Wreck Of The Hesperus (although loads of sludge in there as well)

Just looking at my own collection (only originals of course )
Those are the bands that could be in Azhidahak's etc. and additonal to my post just before. But some will certainly have been mentioned in this thread earlier.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2009 - 04:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Azhidahak on 13.12.2009 at 04:04

Another one would be Beyond Black Void (really good stuff), or another one would be Oktor. Night Must Fall and Funerary Dirge are also really good.

I just posted a more extensive list and see two of those aren't in there.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2009 - 04:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Another one would be Beyond Black Void (really good stuff)

Totally agreed. But that means you shouldn't read the review Lucas wrote on it
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2009 - 04:19
the stranger
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.12.2009 at 04:11

@the stranger...

or

Abske Fide, Ahab, Arcana Coelestia, Asunder (although load of lsudge in there), Ataraxie, Beyond Black Void (a lot of drone in there), Blood Of The Black Owl, Bosque, Catacombs, Celestiial, Colosseum, Comatose Vigil, Consummatum Est, Depressed Mode, Despond, DoomThrone (although loads of black there as well), Doom:VS, Ea, Esoteric, Evoken (although some call it death/doom), Faal (although loads of black and post rock in there), Funeral Moth, Funeralium, Hierophant, Longing For Dawn, Mordor (from Switzerland, although they are actually all over the place), Mournful Congregation, My Shameful (though mostly death doom tbh), Night Must Fall, Nortt, Paganus (although loads of sludge in there as well), Persistence In Mourning (but that depends on the release, casue the guy is actuallly all over the place), Remembrance. Rigor Sardonicus, Senthil, Somnium Mortuum, Stabat Mater, The Funeral Orchestra, Until Death Overtakes Me, Wijlen Wij, Wormphlegm, Wreck Of The Hesperus (although loads of sludge in there as well)

Just looking at my own collection (only originals of course )
Those are the bands that could be in Azhidahak's etc. and additonal to my post just before. But some will certainly have been mentioned in this thread earlier.

Yeah, many have been mentioned and I know some of them, which are Somnium Mortuum, Catacombs, Hierophant, Ahab, Ataraxie, Esoteric, Evoken & Mournful Congregation. Most of them are big names. The one I enjoy the most is Somnium Mortuum. I love Mournful Congregation music but I was never able to digest the vocals. Esoteric is one of the most unique stuff I have ever heard, specially early albums. Evoken is ok, but their cover of "Strange World" is the best one ever, I always had in my mind a doom version of that song and they did it perfectly. The rest of these bands I never quite liked them.
I have just found that Profetus have a myspace site and they sound really good.

Edit: other bands that you mention I know by name but I have never been able to listen to them.
13.12.2009 - 04:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by the stranger on 13.12.2009 at 03:59

Proefetus one can be accessed through the review I wrote on their demo http://www.myspace.com/profetus

and Night Of Suicide is http://www.myspace.com/nightofsuicide
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2009 - 04:28
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite
Man, am I the only one who doesnt see Esoteric as funeral doom? I mean, I do understand why most people do but to me they just arent my typical funeral doom. Whenever someone asks me I just say they are "extreme doom", cant think of anything better to put them on.
----
13.12.2009 - 04:33
the stranger
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.12.2009 at 04:20

Written by the stranger on 13.12.2009 at 03:59

Proefetus one can be accessed through the review I wrote on their demo http://www.myspace.com/profetus

and Night Of Suicide is http://www.myspace.com/nightofsuicide

Profetus is one hell of a discovery. Excellent band. I'll listen to Night of Suicide tomorrow, gotta leave now.
13.12.2009 - 05:22
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.12.2009 at 04:14

Another one would be Beyond Black Void (really good stuff)

Totally agreed. But that means you shouldn't read the review Lucas wrote on it

WoW!!! is this for real??
----
13.12.2009 - 05:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Azhidahak on 13.12.2009 at 05:22

WoW!!! is this for real??

UNfortunately I am sure it is.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2009 - 17:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Ok, this shows once again who extremely subjective are some subgenres of doom metal, in this case: Funeral Doom.

I will not be harsh at all with this album... It's just... ok.

It amazes me that this is "very good" according to you guys, I find it average/ok, good at best. If I'm in the mood I will probably give it 7,3 out of generosity... But something around 6,5-7,0 would be my guess... And I really like Doom, drone and some noise so I don't believe that this has anything to do with "It's because you're not into this genre", that's quite a lame excuse tbh.

Then again, this is probably the best stuff I've heard from this guy, UTOM is quite overrated imo.
This stuff is not bad, but they are way too many bands I will listen to over this album.

This album is still in my computer... I will not delete it since I want to see if my opinion can change but I really really doubt it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.12.2009 - 18:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.12.2009 at 17:56

UTOM ...

UTOM? What is that? Until Teath Overtakes Me?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2009 - 18:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.12.2009 at 18:12

UTOM? What is that? Until Teath Overtakes Me?

Yeah, They are as average as UDOM... UTOM is a project by Stijn van Cauter's lost brother.

So yeah, You know what? I deleted the album, I've heard the whole thing and it was ok, but I'm very stingy with the stuff I have in my computer nowdays. I don't see the hype over BBV
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.12.2009 - 18:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Beyond Black Void's Desolate is one of my most viewed reviews simply because it keeps getting negative comments. Keep 'em coming guys, someday it'll be the most viewed review on the site.

Sixteen bands Stijn? Really? Releasing splits between two of your own bands, Stijn, really? (UDOM & I Dream No More)
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.12.2009 - 19:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
LMAO... I just checked out if that split was real and it is... That's kinda pathetic, isn't it?
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.12.2009 - 07:17
the stranger
In the morning I heard Profetus(again & again & again all their songs on myspace), Night Of Suicide & Oktor. It's been quite a long time since I hadn't heard funeral doom for many hours and enyojed it that much. Great discoveries and great recommendations.
13.01.2010 - 03:47
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I've been listening to Wormphlegm a bit lately and on searching around for them I noticed they were a tag (ebay) on some of the material released by Australia's Wither. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from this band and if it's any good?
----
The force will be with you, always.
15.01.2010 - 06:13
Throne Dweller
Www.myspace.com/anguineal

I've been dabbling in funeral doom myself, only my result has been a very warped version. I was wondering what you all thought of 'Echo in the Conscious Hollow', first song.
16.01.2010 - 00:34
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Throne Dweller on 15.01.2010 at 06:13

Www.myspace.com/anguineal

I've been dabbling in funeral doom myself, only my result has been a very warped version. I was wondering what you all thought of 'Echo in the Conscious Hollow', first song.

Your song definitely has the attitude and atmosphere of Funeral Doom. I think it would definitely benefit from guitars and I see you have posted that you need some. Both the drumming and the vocals fit well, but it was the synth that really stuck out for me. It sounded really great at times. Very melancholic and I think crushing guitars throughout sections of it would make it a very good Funeral Doom song. However at 20 minutes is seemed a little bulky and I didn't feel like it was heading in any real direction with a powerful climax (I'm thinking Esoteric's "Circle" here). Sounds good. Update us when you can.
----
The force will be with you, always.