Metal Storm logo
Languages You Speak/Would Like To Speak/Are Learning

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 18.08.2007 - 17:35
The idea is simple... Talk about the languages you speak, and the ones you would like to learn. What are they? Why do you like them? What is that you don't like about them? How and where did you learn them? What is your mother language?

Personally...

- (As you *might* have noticed) I speak English. Not really well, but I think I can say I know the basis. But it is not my first language: French is. I don't want to sound pretentious or anything, but I speak French really well. Yet, it is the third language I learnt.
- My mother language is Arabic, it was the first one I learnt as I am Moroccan and was born in Morocco. But my parents speak French more than Arabic, and I started going to a French school when I was 5, thus, I started forgetting Arabic. I was still as able to understand it as before, but I couldn't speak it anymore, past my 8th birthday. (Some other important factors were involded, but it is not necessary to mention them.)
- The second language I learnt was Spanish, because of/thanks to Spanish TV channels and my grandmother, who only spoke Spanish and Arabic. But when we left the city where we were living (Tanger, just in front of Spain), I stopped watching Spanish channels, and left my grandmother as well, and then, forgot Spanish too .
- That's when French comes. It became my first language around 8. As the French school system wants it, I started learning English at 11. And I unexpectedly didn't have any difficulty with it. I have always had the best mark in that subject, without making any effort for that. Unfortunately it is still not enough. I realised my level was not as good as I thought it was.
- The next year, (I was 12) I chose Latin, but I had to stop after a few months, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to start Spanish the following year. I started re-learning Spanish at 13.
- But since I took Spanish at 13, I couldn't take German at 15. I had too many subjects and the teachers wouldn't let me add German. Yet it is the language I really want to learn. I like the sonority of it, and I watch German TV channels just to hear it, even if I don't get a word of it .
- As a consequence, the two languages I can speak the best are French, and English.

As you see the topic is vast, there is a lot to say...
19.10.2007 - 19:44
Deus Ex Machina
Yes, so true. When i was a kid, you had to start learning English in the 4th grade, I've known the language for a log time by then, but now i think kids have to take on English in the 1st grade here. Preschools even teach it.
About borrowed words... well i guess... though i can't see that helping anyone since it's just slight similarities.
I see what you're saying. We're surrounded by English , i know that. Still i can't escape the feeling it's easier than most somehow.
It flows so nicely and if you don't know it at all, and start studying hard. You can be able to talk about almost anything in a short period of time. Which is not true in the case of a lot of European and Asian languages. I love the fact it's one of those tonal languages, where it all depends on how you pronounce the word, and then it turns into something else completely. In sentences like, for example "We produce produce in this farm" It's so interesting. May confuse some people, but so amazing.
19.10.2007 - 19:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 19.10.2007 at 04:32

I agree with that entirely.

By the way, do you all think that English is easy to learn? I'm interested in this because i was told no. A lot of times.
But when you think about it. 90% of us here, who are not from English speaking countries can speak and write it very well.
Also a lot of us, including me just picked it up when they were kids, from TV etc.
I've never actually spent a day in my life studying English. This is all from television.
So, what do you think? Is it easier than most languages? As i said, it seems it is, yet people keep saying no.

Yes it is

Since we learn english from werry early days and it helps a lot of, same whit all Indo Euriopeian langauges if you start whit kid
Thats why I can get point of othe rlanguages and also from slavic

but probobly you didnt understand what I say
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.10.2007 - 19:56
Deus Ex Machina
See Kariasakis, your English isn't what annoys me. In no way.I accept the fact that people are not the same. What does is the fact that you sometimes butt in places and talk about things you know nothing about, and you do it in a way that nobody understands and you make people ..literally just..smile and nod. BUT since this is not the point here. We'll put that aside.

No, i don't try to understand your posts. Because your gibberish isn't getting better. But that's ok. You rarely say anything worth reading anyway.
I look forward to the day you get better.
19.10.2007 - 20:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 19.10.2007 at 19:56

See Kariasakis, your English isn't what annoys me. In no way.I accept the fact that people are not the same. What does is the fact that you sometimes butt in places and talk about things you know nothing about, and you do it in a way that nobody understands and you make people ..literally just..smile and nod. BUT since this is not the point here. We'll put that aside.

No, i don't try to understand your posts. Because your gibberish isn't getting better. But that's ok. You rarely say anything worth reading anyway.
I look forward to the day you get better.

Talking about thinks we all talk about thinks and out of topic stuff and I dont care about it I say what i wanna to sauy and I will say what i want say
gibberish what is that?

And if I dont say nothing fun tl read OI dont care I wont shut up and drinking

about languages doe sit easy larn jap langauge and writeing ?
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2007 - 20:33
Torelli
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 19.10.2007 at 19:44

Yes, so true. When i was a kid, you had to start learning English in the 4th grade, I've known the language for a log time by then, but now i think kids have to take on English in the 1st grade here. Preschools even teach it.
About borrowed words... well i guess... though i can't see that helping anyone since it's just slight similarities.
I see what you're saying. We're surrounded by English , i know that. Still i can't escape the feeling it's easier than most somehow.
It flows so nicely and if you don't know it at all, and start studying hard. You can be able to talk about almost anything in a short period of time. Which is not true in the case of a lot of European and Asian languages. I love the fact it's one of those tonal languages, where it all depends on how you pronounce the word, and then it turns into something else completely. In sentences like, for example "We produce produce in this farm" It's so interesting. May confuse some people, but so amazing.

Well, swedish(my native language) is closely related to english, so naturally we also have alot of words incommon. We are also one of these tonal languages, the prime example is the question "Får får får?"(Does sheep get sheep), this sentence is usually very confusing for non-swedish speakers.
But back to the english. When I studied french I noticed that th english language also contains many french words, so I asumed that alot of other european languages also had words incommon with english, but perhaps croatian is to loosly related to english to notice any simularities.
You speculated that english is easy to learn, and I'm started thinking that maybe you are right. English have very basic grammatic rules, with few exeptions that contradicts the rules. In swedish for example, you have alot more grammatic rules and alot more exeptions to take incount. Some parts of our language doesn't even have rules, and you can only rely on how it feels when you pronounce it to decide if it's correct or not.
19.10.2007 - 20:34
Deus Ex Machina
Written by Bad English on 19.10.2007 at 20:14
gibberish what is that?

Gibberish is a term used for words that look like some sort of language but bear no actual meaning. I used that word to describe how your posts look like sometimes. And no, I'm not saying you should shut up. By all means, post away. But be aware that other people need to understand you too. It is also impossible not to read because you're literally everywhere. So, that's pretty much all of my thoughts on this subject. We have no need to discuss it more.

About Japanese. You'd be surprised how easy the grammar is. Much easier compared to Croatian or Latvian. It is not very complicated, but it's different. You just need time to organize yourself to think backwards. If you are very used to English, Japanese will sound to you like it's back to front. Katakana and Hiragana are no problem. I learned them fast. But to interact normally in every day life, you need at least 1945 Kanji. That is a big obstacle, and I'd say.. the most difficult part. I'm currently getting ready to take the test which will decide if i can attend the next level of Japanese. I hope i pass.
19.10.2007 - 20:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 19.10.2007 at 20:34

gibberish what is that?

Gibberish is a term used for words that look like some sort of language but bear no actual meaning. I used that word to describe how your posts look like sometimes. And no, I'm not saying you should shut up. By all means, post away. But be aware that other people need to understand you too. It is also impossible not to read because you're literally everywhere. So, that's pretty much all of my thoughts on this subject. We have no need to discuss it more.

About Japanese. You'd be surprised how easy the grammar is. Much easier compared to Croatian or Latvian. It is not very complicated, but it's different. You just need time to organize yourself to think backwards. If you are very used to English, Japanese will sound to you like it's back to front. Katakana and Hiragana are no problem. I learned them fast. But to interact normally in every day life, you need at least 1945 Kanji. That is a big obstacle, and I'd say.. the most difficult part. I'm currently getting ready to take the test which will decide if i can attend the next level of Japanese. I hope i pass.

Give me example about gibberisch
About my english and writing I wont discuss specaly here but Japanish I m not so interest into it maybe lil intrerests i had but more about samuray life and death, specely abput death

Latvian grammar and stuff are hard werry hard, Croatian iMO are easyer but i can not say it because latvain are my mother tong, so i can not say how hard and easy it is
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2007 - 20:45
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 19.10.2007 at 20:33

Written by Deus Ex Machina on 19.10.2007 at 19:44

We are also one of these tonal languages, the prime example is the question "Får får får?"(Does sheep get sheep), this sentence is usually very confusing for non-swedish speakers.

Guys, are you speaking of tones or stress?

These are two different things...for instance in "We produce produce in this farm." it's a matter of stress....it's either PRODÚCE or PRÓDUCE....the tone's the same....

Bout Swedish I dunno...are you speaking of tones or stress?

Tones means that you change the pitch of your voice when you speak....Chinese is tonal language...and the tone determines the meaning of the word....
SHI2ndTone(voice rises) means "ten" but SHI4thTone(voice falls) means "to be"
NIAO3rdTone(voice falls to rise again) means "bird" but NIAO4thTone(voice falls) means "urine".....
19.10.2007 - 20:58
Deus Ex Machina
You're right. I wasn't completely sure how to express myself and used the inappropriate term.
19.10.2007 - 21:05
Torelli
@Frodo: Thank you for the correction. Well, we do have examples of both tones and stress in the swedish language. "får får får" is an example of stress(if you are correct that is). The word "man" is an example of tone in that case, it can either means man,mane, husband or a pronoun that describes an unknown person.
To complicate the language even more, we can add sentences that changes dramatically if we decide to divide the word, for example "En brunhårig sjuksköterska"(A brown-haired nurse) can means something completly diffrent if we write it like this: En brun hårig sjuk sköterska (A brown, hairy, sick nurse).
19.10.2007 - 21:47
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 19.10.2007 at 21:05

@Frodo: Thank you for the correction. Well, we do have examples of both tones and stress in the swedish language. "får får får" is an example of stress(if you are correct that is). The word "man" is an example of tone in that case, it can either means man,mane, husband or a pronoun that describes an unknown person.
To complicate the language even more, we can add sentences that changes dramatically if we decide to divide the word, for example "En brunhårig sjuksköterska"(A brown-haired nurse) can means something completly diffrent if we write it like this: En brun hårig sjuk sköterska (A brown, hairy, sick nurse).

Please tell me how to write "white hair" correctly in Swedish....
Is it "vitt hår"? Well....in Estonian this means "cunt whore"
And "lycka till" is roughly like "push the dick" in Estonian...
And how's "Please, have a seat."? I've heard it's pronunced as "viska sitta" and this means "Throw the shite" in Estonian.....

Sorry....tell me if I become too obscene....
20.10.2007 - 15:00
Torelli
"Vitt hår" is correct, yes. " Please, have a seat" is "varsegod och sätt dig". The thing you wrote (viska sitta) means "whisper sit". However, if we divide the word "viska" we get the phrase "Vi ska sitta" which mean "we will sit". Funny how languages works, beautiful phrases in one language can become swear words or "dirty" words in another one....
20.10.2007 - 20:43
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 20.10.2007 at 15:00

"Vitt hår" is correct, yes. " Please, have a seat" is "varsegod och sätt dig". The thing you wrote (viska sitta) means "whisper sit". However, if we divide the word "viska" we get the phrase "Vi ska sitta" which mean "we will sit". Funny how languages works, beautiful phrases in one language can become swear words or "dirty" words in another one....

Yeh, I guess these are legends of its own kind....here many people who don't know French think that the sentence "Ime mu türa" is French and they believe this means "You're so beautiful"....in fact "Ime mu türa" means "Suck my cock" in Estonian....but well....people hear and believe all kinds of things.....so they believe that if the R in "türa" is pronunced the French way, it automatically means "You're so beautiful".....

I think people here speak bout the "Vi ska sitta" sentence....this was surely connected with sitting......

And well...the connection of Finnish and Italian languages is that "Katso merta" is "Look at the sea" in Finnish and "Cazzo merda"(pronunciation is roughly the same) means "dickshit" or sth in Italian....
20.10.2007 - 21:00
Remus
Written by Bulletdodger on 18.10.2007 at 20:50

Doubt it , by the way is your language based on the same( or a similar ) rule?

Romanian is definately based on this priciple.

But as mr Frodo said: english people will probably not understand what that means!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
20.10.2007 - 21:08
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Remus on 20.10.2007 at 21:00

Written by Bulletdodger on 18.10.2007 at 20:50

Doubt it , by the way is your language based on the same( or a similar ) rule?

Romanian is definately based on this priciple.

But as mr Frodo said: english people will probably not understand what that means!

Nor any people who speak English as first language......
20.10.2007 - 21:14
Remus
Written by Ernis on 19.10.2007 at 21:47

Is it "vitt hår"? Well....in Estonian this means "cunt whore"

The national currency of Namibia (a southern African country) is the "pula".

"Pula" of course means "male reproductive organs" in Romanian or dick.

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I'm gonna call my swedish friend a "vitt hår" from now on!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
20.10.2007 - 21:43
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Remus on 20.10.2007 at 21:14

I'm gonna call my swedish friend a "vitt hår" from now on!

You must really really love your friend then....anyhow....it'll only have the effect when Estonians hear you call him "cunt whore"....
20.10.2007 - 22:05
Remus
^I honestly don't know any estonians but i'll know in my heart...

@Deus: Yeah, i think English is rather easy to learn. I too learnd by watching CartoonNetwork and Mtv. It's not like these eastern-european languages with sooo many gramar rules and, perhaps more important, exceptions to these rules.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
20.10.2007 - 23:05
Torelli
Written by Remus on 20.10.2007 at 21:14

The national currency of Namibia (a southern African country) is the "pula".

"Pula" of course means "male reproductive organs" in Romanian or dick.

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I'm gonna call my swedish friend a "vitt hår" from now on!

If you ad an extra "l" you get the word "pulla", which is a slang term for sex in sweden. For other useless word knowledge we have a govermental agency was acronyme is "sida" that deals with international developent co-operation, inexidently it's also an acronyme for aids in french. While we are at the french language, the french word for dandelion is "pissenlit", which can be interpreted as "Piss on Lee" in english, nevertheless is the pronounaction a bit chakey though.
20.10.2007 - 23:19
Remus
^ Yes, SIDA is the Romanian acronym for AIDS as well!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
21.10.2007 - 00:01
Ernis
狼獾
In Estonia we call it AIDS.....if we called it according to as the definition is in Estonian, 'twould be OIPS.....
21.10.2007 - 00:41
Deus Ex Machina
A city in Croatia is named Pula... a great city XD
Sounds sick now.

Btw , we call it SIDA too. Sindrom stečene imunodeficijencije.
21.10.2007 - 00:57
Remus
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 21.10.2007 at 00:41

A city in Croatia is named Pula... a great city XD
Sounds sick now.

Oh man, now i can totally rip on the Croatian kids, that's hella-awesome!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
21.10.2007 - 14:06
Ernis
狼獾
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mianus,_Connecticut
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranus

But in Latin we are forced to pronunce all C letters as Ks regardless their position in the word.....so we need to say Kikero instead of Cicero and fakit(fuck it) instead of facit.....I dislike Latin and understand all my Romance languages speaking acquaintances who say that they loath it.....
22.10.2007 - 02:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Bad English on 19.10.2007 at 20:37

gibberish what is that?

You're last post is a perfect example.
22.10.2007 - 03:37
Stigmatized
Written by Dangerboner on 22.10.2007 at 02:41

Written by Bad English on 19.10.2007 at 20:37

gibberish what is that?

You're last post is a perfect example.

HAHAHA

22.10.2007 - 09:43
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Speaking Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian (not much difference from Serbian, though), English, French, Norwegian some German, little Russian and Spanish, and when I say little, I mean little, can understand Macedonian, Slovenian, Danish, Swedish, I know a few words in Italian, Finnish, Japanese, Greek and many other languages. And @Kariasakis' I like your gibberish, always fun to figure out what you wanted to say
----
22.10.2007 - 09:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Øyvind on 22.10.2007 at 09:43

Speaking Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian (not much difference from Serbian, though), English, French, Norwegian some German, little Russian and Spanish, and when I say little, I mean little, can understand Macedonian, Slovenian, Danish, Swedish, I know a few words in Italian, Finnish, Japanese, Greek and many other languages. And @Kariasakis' I like your gibberish, always fun to figure out what you wanted to say

Damn man you speek more languages how Frodo of Čelik l:
----

apos;'
[image]
22.10.2007 - 17:57
Abattoir
Staff
Written by Øyvind on 22.10.2007 at 09:43

Hm, that's amazing!! A polyglot...fucking great...if you realy understand so many languages ...I admire that kind of people...
22.10.2007 - 18:02
Abattoir
Staff
And...for other informations, I speak Slovenian (I understand Croatian, too...), English - quite well, German (not so quick )...
I would like to learn some other languages (Spanish and Latin), but till now, there was no time for it...