Metal Storm logo
Languages You Speak/Would Like To Speak/Are Learning

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 18.08.2007 - 17:35
The idea is simple... Talk about the languages you speak, and the ones you would like to learn. What are they? Why do you like them? What is that you don't like about them? How and where did you learn them? What is your mother language?

Personally...

- (As you *might* have noticed) I speak English. Not really well, but I think I can say I know the basis. But it is not my first language: French is. I don't want to sound pretentious or anything, but I speak French really well. Yet, it is the third language I learnt.
- My mother language is Arabic, it was the first one I learnt as I am Moroccan and was born in Morocco. But my parents speak French more than Arabic, and I started going to a French school when I was 5, thus, I started forgetting Arabic. I was still as able to understand it as before, but I couldn't speak it anymore, past my 8th birthday. (Some other important factors were involded, but it is not necessary to mention them.)
- The second language I learnt was Spanish, because of/thanks to Spanish TV channels and my grandmother, who only spoke Spanish and Arabic. But when we left the city where we were living (Tanger, just in front of Spain), I stopped watching Spanish channels, and left my grandmother as well, and then, forgot Spanish too .
- That's when French comes. It became my first language around 8. As the French school system wants it, I started learning English at 11. And I unexpectedly didn't have any difficulty with it. I have always had the best mark in that subject, without making any effort for that. Unfortunately it is still not enough. I realised my level was not as good as I thought it was.
- The next year, (I was 12) I chose Latin, but I had to stop after a few months, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to start Spanish the following year. I started re-learning Spanish at 13.
- But since I took Spanish at 13, I couldn't take German at 15. I had too many subjects and the teachers wouldn't let me add German. Yet it is the language I really want to learn. I like the sonority of it, and I watch German TV channels just to hear it, even if I don't get a word of it .
- As a consequence, the two languages I can speak the best are French, and English.

As you see the topic is vast, there is a lot to say...
23.10.2007 - 10:14
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Abattoir on 22.10.2007 at 17:57

Hm, that's amazing!! A polyglot...fucking great...if you realy understand so many languages ...I admire that kind of people...

Thanks, mate. Well, all of the ex-YU languages, they are more or less similar to Serbian, for Slovenian and Macedonian you need to talk slowly so I can understand you, I'm only fluent in English and French, steadily learning Norwegian, and Swedish and Danish have a lot in common with Norwegian, I don't know Russian, Spanish and German grammar, but in certain situations, I can get round.
----
24.10.2007 - 00:55
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I speak Portuguese, English and some Spanish. I would like to learn some language from the North (swedish, norwegian, finnish). I think that they're curious languages and many lyrics are wrote in some of these languages.
27.10.2007 - 17:56
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by Øyvind on 22.10.2007 at 09:43

Speaking Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian (not much difference from Serbian, though), English, French, Norwegian some German, little Russian and Spanish, and when I say little, I mean little, can understand Macedonian, Slovenian, Danish, Swedish, I know a few words in Italian, Finnish, Japanese, Greek and many other languages. And @Kariasakis' I like your gibberish, always fun to figure out what you wanted to say

WOW, man you are really a GOD, Rock on Dude
I'm still trying to find someone or something to teach me Hebrew and french for that matter ("The Queen Of Hippies" is no good as a teacher)
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
28.10.2007 - 05:41
Fuath
i can speak english, if that counts for anything, i can speak few words in japanese, dutch, and french, and am wanting to speak german and dutch, as i have dutch heritage
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

01.11.2007 - 15:12
Judas
The Amputator
I've found myself an awesome book in the university library which will help me learn to read and write in Farsi (Persian) over my summer holidays! Persian pronunciation and Urdu pronunciation is essentially the same, since Urdu has a very large number of loanwords from Persian, so the spoken aspect shouldn't be too much of a problem, and in any case the Perso-Arabic script is phonetically-based, so it's rather straightforward. I've already polished up on my literacy in Hindi and Marathi before I go back to India for the summer holidays, and my Urdu is getting better and better, so I figure that once I start learning some Farsi I'll have access to a lot of Urdu literature, since archaic Urdu is very heavily Persianised.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
01.11.2007 - 17:57
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 27.10.2007 at 17:56

I'm still trying to find someone or something to teach me Hebrew and french for that matter ("The Queen Of Hippies" is no good as a teacher)

I'm the best French teacher ever! You can ask people around you. Opium, Hyvaarin, don't you agree?
You'd better say you do!
02.11.2007 - 06:29
Hyvaarin
I'd agree with that .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
04.11.2007 - 21:30
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by Hyvaarin on 02.11.2007 at 06:29

I'd agree with that .

How are your french lectures and homework going by the way? You haven't asked for help for much time, is that because you got so good that you don't need me anymore?
05.11.2007 - 11:14
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by [user id=18405] on 01.11.2007 at 17:57

Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 27.10.2007 at 17:56

I'm the best French teacher ever! You can ask people around you. Opium, Hyvaarin, don't you agree?
You'd better say you do!

Screw you, you never helped me out when we used to chat (well, maybe coz I never asked you coz you were too busy treating me like your bitch!!)
----

05.11.2007 - 11:21
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 05.11.2007 at 11:14

Screw you, you never helped me out when we used to chat (well, maybe coz I never asked you coz you were too busy treating me like your bitch!!)

Right, you never asked me. I'd be glad to help though!
05.11.2007 - 13:07
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by [user id=18405] on 05.11.2007 at 11:21

Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 05.11.2007 at 11:14

Right, you never asked me. I'd be glad to help though!

We'll see about that when I catch you on-line...
----

06.11.2007 - 03:18
Hyvaarin
Written by [user id=18405] on 04.11.2007 at 21:30

Written by Hyvaarin on 02.11.2007 at 06:29

I'd agree with that .

How are your french lectures and homework going by the way? You haven't asked for help for much time, is that because you got so good that you don't need me anymore?

Haha, the reason I haven't been asking for help lately is because I've been doing everything at the very last minute . Got a hard essay due on Friday, though, so I might be asking for help soon hehe.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
06.11.2007 - 11:23
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by Hyvaarin on 06.11.2007 at 03:18

Haha, the reason I haven't been asking for help lately is because I've been doing everything at the very last minute . Got a hard essay due on Friday, though, so I might be asking for help soon hehe.

Haha, yes, as usual . Ok then, catch me on MSN, or send me PM if I'm offline. I'm ready to help anyone that needs it .
13.11.2007 - 12:59
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i'm currently learning spoken japanese, it's actually not hard at all, since it has a similar pronounciation to the romanian language and no numerals or weird tenses like in the english language. can't wait to start writing though!
13.11.2007 - 13:20
Ernis
狼獾
Had Chinese class t'day and got to know the bloody numeral system of Mandarin....One billion is therefore 十亿...which means literally ten one hundred millions...I suck at calculating by heart....poor me....
13.11.2007 - 13:48
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Ernis on 13.11.2007 at 13:20

Had Chinese class t'day and got to know the bloody numeral system of Mandarin....One billion is therefore 十亿...which means literally ten one hundred millions...I suck at calculating by heart....poor me....

For some reason, East Asian languages just do not interest me whatsoever. I know it'd be extremely useful to have a knowledge of Mandarin and Cantonese, what with the way the world is going these days, but ever since I gave up Japanese in Year 10 I've just had zero inclination to learn those sorts of languages.
----
13.11.2007 - 14:01
Ernis
狼獾
Well Japanese is a whole another story....Japanese isn't even distantly related to Chinese....it's supposed to be more similar to Finno-Ugric languages...I amn't sure, haven't learned it in depth....but Chinese grammar is sort of easy...they don't have neither cases nor verb conjugation.....as if I were speaking...Me buy fish everyday and he listen good music. Nightwish be good Finland band....lol....Olympiakos win yesterday win today win tomorrow....Mes(meaning we) drink beer tomorrow....
13.11.2007 - 14:40
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Ernis on 13.11.2007 at 14:01

Well Japanese is a whole another story....Japanese isn't even distantly related to Chinese....it's supposed to be more similar to Finno-Ugric languages...I amn't sure, haven't learned it in depth....but Chinese grammar is sort of easy...they don't have neither cases nor verb conjugation.....as if I were speaking...Me buy fish everyday and he listen good music. Nightwish be good Finland band....lol....Olympiakos win yesterday win today win tomorrow....Mes(meaning we) drink beer tomorrow....

No wonder they all speak English like that...

Wait! K7 must actually be Chinese!
----
13.11.2007 - 15:03
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Judas on 13.11.2007 at 14:40

No wonder they all speak English like that...

Wait! K7 must actually be Chinese!

Yu be right. He be prolly Chinaman last life or he from China come.

可七是我们的中国人. K7 be our Chinaman....

Well I managed to be a retard t'day in front of like few hundred people at school.....don't ask....teacher asked if there were any Irish speakers at class and then I said that yeh....speaking that I suck at Irish and then I caught the attention of the students and teacher...I hate attention and avoid it...fuck....
13.11.2007 - 19:57
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by Torelli on 20.10.2007 at 23:05

Written by Remus on 20.10.2007 at 21:14

The national currency of Namibia (a southern African country) is the "pula".

"Pula" of course means "male reproductive organs" in Romanian or dick.

If you ad an extra "l" you get the word "pulla", which is a slang term for sex in sweden.

Written by Remus on 20.10.2007 at 23:19

^ Yes, SIDA is the Romanian acronym for AIDS as well!

Written by Deus Ex Machina on 21.10.2007 at 00:41

A city in Croatia is named Pula... a great city XD
Sounds sick now.

Btw , we call it SIDA too. Sindrom stečene imunodeficijencije.

By Heimdall, the Spanish acronym is SIDA as well (Síndrome de Inmunodeficiencia Adquirida), and the Spanish slang for "penis" is "polla", almost the same as these Swedish and Romanian terms! Conspiracy theories anyone?
13.11.2007 - 20:20
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'd love to learn K7'ish!
----
13.11.2007 - 22:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 13.11.2007 at 20:20

I'd love to learn K7'ish!

Nu porebeleme mait
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.11.2007 - 19:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 19.10.2007 at 04:32

By the way, do you all think that English is easy to learn? I'm interested in this because i was told no. A lot of times.

i learned english from watching lots and lots of cartoon network and some courses i used to take years ago. english is definetely not that easy to learn, since it took me about 3 years or so of watching cartoons and beginner english lessons before i could speak fluently, not the case with german language(that was if you were wondering if i'm slow to learn languages), whereas i never took a spanish lesson in my life, but i can speak at a basic level, just from watching south american soap operas. so the answer is no, english isn't very easy to learn.

but the hardest language i've encountered is, paradoxically, romanian. it's got waay too many tenses(9 tenses), cases(5), verb moods(8), syntax functions(more than 40, i can guarantee), and most importantly, exceptions to these! so that's one of the reasons why there are about 32-35 million romanian speakers in the world, and the number ain't growing, also due to the fact that there are so few similar languages in the vicinity, only hungarian or slavic(slavic countries have lots to gain from this aspect, as they are at least vaguely similar). the only vaguely similar language to romanian is italian, but after recent events i don't see any italian wanting to speak romanian.

on the other hand a very easy language i consider to be spoken japanese(or Romaji Japanese).
14.11.2007 - 20:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Olympiakos win yesterday win today win tomorrow....Mes(meaning we) drink beer tomorrow....

What conetion in this post was whit OSFP?

In case we always win we neversurender, Djole, Patsaoglu best red solders ever, we stand united in molotow rain, we're brave Ohra 7+Delije(hope it makes deus angry )=Pravoslavje rulles
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.11.2007 - 15:58
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Valentin B on 14.11.2007 at 19:58

only hungarian or slavic(slavic countries have lots to gain from this aspect, as they are at least vaguely similar).

Mind you...Hungarian isn't Slavic....it's Finno-effing-Ugric....Estonian and Finnish are as well....and you said your language has 5 cases....and you call that difficult?!

Estonian has 14!!! Hungarian has effing over 20 cases....try to learn these....plus 'stonian has lots of exceptions to rules so no wonder this was one of my anger subjects at school and my Estonian exam result was also the lowest....period

Bout K7...seems we triggered some sort of reaction since K7 has started to write even worse and the logical meaning is now completely disappearing and connections between phrases are becoming more and more irrelevant plus he's enjoying it....it's like mutating or metastasis......
15.11.2007 - 17:57
Deus Ex Machina
I haven't noticed K7'ish being worse. I'm used to it now.It's ok if you close your eyes and think happy thoughts.

I never knew romanian had only 5 cases. Somehow I did not know that. I had a different number in my mind. I'm not sure now where i got it.

I have also read all that Frodo has said concerning Chinese, and Japanese grammar does work in sort of a similar way. Even the counters work annoyingly the same with the ten one hundred billions and all.
None of the words even are even remotely similar though so yeah... As for K7. He be azn.
15.11.2007 - 18:11
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 15.11.2007 at 17:57

I never knew romanian had only 5 cases. Somehow I did not know that. I had a different number in my mind. I'm not sure now where i got it.

you know romanian? well it has all the german cases(nominativ, akkusativ, dativ and genitiv + vocativ, a case only used when addressing someone, like if you would call someone ex. "john!"- that's vocativ)
15.11.2007 - 18:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernis on 15.11.2007 at 15:58

Mind you...Hungarian isn't Slavic....it's Finno-effing-Ugric....Estonian and Finnish are as well....and you said your language has 5 cases....and you call that difficult?!

yes i knew that, seems the hungarians have the same problem like us
15.11.2007 - 18:17
Deus Ex Machina
@ cursed - I do not know romanian, but I did discuss the language with someone, and that is why i said i remember it being different. I clearly remember wrong. Well yes, I know what a vocativ is XD
We also use nominativ,genitiv,dativ,akuzativ and vokativ but we also use instrumental and and lokativ.
06.12.2007 - 01:40
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
ATTENTION SPANISH SPEAKING METALSTOMERS, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IN ENGLISH?:

Oye como va mi ritmo
Bueno pa gosar mulata