Metal Storm logo
Forgotten Woods

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 09.01.2008 - 14:11
I'm sure when you're familiar with the black metal scene, it might have gotten your attention that there is this new blend of black metal going around. Bands like Alcest, Amesoeur and Lifelover who mix black metal with rock music. But what most people don't know, that there was a band in the early/mid' 90s doing this already, named Forgotten Woods. Forgotten Woods are overall considered a black metal band, but imo their music has more Post-Rock elements in it then black metal, infact, the only black metal thing about this band are the lyrics and the high-pitched shrieks. "The Curse of Mankind" is a classic release in the black metal scene and if you didn't hear of this band already, I recommend you to give them a try. All of their stuff is getting re-released since 2005, so it's the best chance to try this band out. The band split up in the late 90s but had a come-back last year, with an album that suprised the entire black metal scene. Fans argue about the new album, because it's actually a very raw black metal album, which differs it a lot from their previous albums.

You might check their Metal-Archives Page out, but trust me, screw the description on MA, this band has nothing in common with doom metal at all, it's just not your typical black "metal" band.

MySpace : The first two songs are from the new album, which I didn't like at all, the third song is from their EP which had the most black metal influence in it, and the last song "The Velvet Room" is from their masterpiece "The Curse of Mankind".
12.01.2008 - 21:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Let's stick to Forgotten Woods, shall we?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.02.2008 - 23:29
Kurzag
Account deleted
This is truly a forgotten band. Think I read something about that Forgotten Woods was never accepted in the BM scene in the early 90's for some reason. IMO Forgotten Woods is one of the best bands coming out of the Norwegian BM scene. But I was dissapointed by Race of Cain, in fact it has some good songs. For me RoC never managed to beat As The Wolves Gather or The Curse of Mankind, which is both kick ass albums. I'm very exited about the new album coming up, with Neige on vocals. The vocals Thomas Torkelsen during his time is stunning.
12.02.2008 - 23:57
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Now that I'm more familiar with it I can say that the Curse of Mankind is a masterpiece, especially for an album that's over 70 minutes long, somehow they managed to pullt it off without a single boring moment. I think they are brilliant. As The Wolves Gather however sounded a little amateurish, there are some really great pasages on there, but it's somewhat inconsistent and doesn't flow as well as The Curse of Mankind.
13.02.2008 - 12:41
Severed Survival
Account deleted
Written by [user id=23267] on 12.02.2008 at 23:57

Now that I'm more familiar with it I can say that the Curse of Mankind is a masterpiece, especially for an album that's over 70 minutes long, somehow they managed to pullt it off without a single boring moment. I think they are brilliant. As The Wolves Gather however sounded a little amateurish, there are some really great pasages on there, but it's somewhat inconsistent and doesn't flow as well as The Curse of Mankind.

As The Wolves Gather is an brilliant album in it's own way, I mean for the year of it's release, it was ahead of it's time, a new blend of black metal; but The Curse Of Mankind is a freakin' masterpiece, I think that's the reason why the debut album sounds less original. Anyway, all the FW stuff is being re-released, on cd and vinyl, with some limited pieces in red and green vinyl.

can buy all the stuff here: *click me hard*, just type forgotten woods in the search function..
13.02.2008 - 15:17
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I think I should get their As The Wolves Gather t-shirt, these wolves look killer. I've read from an interview with Rune that the band doesn't support anything released by No Color Records anymore, and the stuff that No Color has released after Baklengs Mot Stupet should be considered bootlegs as you can read here:
http://www.taakefrost.de/int_forgottenwoodseng.htm
13.02.2008 - 18:18
totaliteraliter
Written by [user id=5080] on 11.01.2008 at 18:05
....being considered as the "true godfathers of black metal"

Actually I said "black metal/rock"... an allusion to the topic title being a lie as Venom were combining the genres a decade earlier (not to mention we still haven't located those rock elements...).

It's a good thing I checked out the band earlier, when Venom haters flock to a black metal band it's usually a sign you're in for some hipster garbage with no balls. This seems to be an exception, although I'm not one to throw around "brilliant" and "masterpiece" quite so haphazardly.

Also Severed Survival should ax that link in his post as it sounds like it doesn't support the band.
13.02.2008 - 23:05
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by totaliteraliter on 13.02.2008 at 18:18

This seems to be an exception, although I'm not one to throw around "brilliant" and "masterpiece" quite so haphazardly.

I'm not throwing these words around haphazardly, the fact that The Curse of Mankind leaves me wanting for more even though it lasts for more than 70 minutes, and normally I'm surprised if I can retain my enthusiasm for ~60 minutes, makes it rather brilliant in my eyes
15.02.2008 - 16:51
TLZ
Account deleted
Never heard of them, but I like the description and not least they come from my homeplace. Although I've heard rumors of black metal bands being here I'm a little suprised that something gaining that much regognintion is coming from here. (Where you almost can't find metalheads, more or less.)

I'm gonne check out their MySpace when I get home from work. Seems very interesting.
27.05.2008 - 06:30
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
i'm listening to forgotten woods right now and just wanted to re-animate this thread again, because i really hope and wish that more people try their older stuff, especially "the curse of mankind", you people have no idea what you're missing..
27.05.2008 - 06:40
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by [user id=26778] on 27.05.2008 at 06:30

i'm listening to forgotten woods right now and just wanted to re-animate this thread again, because i really hope and wish that more people try their older stuff, especially "the curse of mankind", you people have no idea what you're missing..

Well, I've only ever heard single songs by this band, and nothing from their debut as I haven't even been able to find any streaming songs or free mp3s. However, what I have heard is quite good. They have a nice blend going on, but I have to disagree with you on saying that "this band has nothing in common with doom metal at all." I agree MA is often shit-for-brains when it comes to genre names (most likely because it's run by elitist pricks, or seems to be) but I'd have to agree and personally say I hear elements and sounds of Doom Metal. I'm not really sure where you're going with the term "Rock" as it's a very vague word when used in the context of your first post, but regardless of what they're called, they're pretty good.
----
The force will be with you, always.
27.05.2008 - 06:50
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 27.05.2008 at 06:40

Written by [user id=26778] on 27.05.2008 at 06:30

Well, I've only ever heard single songs by this band, and nothing from their debut as I haven't even been able to find any streaming songs or free mp3s. However, what I have heard is quite good. They have a nice blend going on, but I have to disagree with you on saying that "this band has nothing in common with doom metal at all." I agree MA is often shit-for-brains when it comes to genre names (most likely because it's run by elitist pricks, or seems to be) but I'd have to agree and personally say I hear elements and sounds of Doom Metal. I'm not really sure where you're going with the term "Rock" as it's a very vague word when used in the context of your first post, but regardless of what they're called, they're pretty damn good.

imo, sluggish riffs and atmosphere can be created in any sub-genre of metal (death, black etc.) without being labled as death/doom or black/doom, and forgotten woods is one of these bands. i absolutely agree that FW have a cold and haunting background atmosphere on all of their releases, but they aren't heavy enough, not sluggish enough and (most important) not slow enough, for me, to consider them a mixture of black/doom metal. and as for the "rock" thingy, their drum- & basslines are just no way metal imo, except for the fast and ripping songs, and the few solos they have also fit far better in a rock band than in a metal band. i have no idea how i should explain what i'm trying to say, FW is just not hard/heavy/whatever enough in my eyes to be a pure out metal band. and well you can download their stuff at dc++, soulseek or any other good and serious (no, not limewire lol) file-sharing program. and if you're about to download their stuff, you must get "the curse of mankind", it is a fucking masterpiece in every way and i'm sorry for everyone who hasn't heard it yet, it's just fucking fantastic!
27.05.2008 - 07:23
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by [user id=26778] on 27.05.2008 at 06:50

Well, that's just what it came off to me as. Show me a modern Rock bands with "slow, sluggish" riffs and I'll agree. However, I agree they aren't in any way a Black/Doom band, but that's what I heard. My opinion could obviously be flawed as I haven't heard but a few songs, and perhaps I'll get a better sense of the "Rock" vibe you're talking about if I hear more. However, I don't really download anymore, at all, so perhaps I'll look elsewhere or buy it. We'll see.
----
The force will be with you, always.
27.05.2008 - 14:55
rageing atheist
Account deleted
If I remember correctly, they have cited The Velvet Underground and The Doors as their primary influences from rock music.
28.05.2008 - 09:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=23267] on 27.05.2008 at 14:55

If I remember correctly, they have cited The Velvet Underground and The Doors as their primary influences from rock music.

wher eyou read it, 2 bands what was overated in that time velvet Undergrouan and Sonic Youth
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.05.2008 - 10:22
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 28.05.2008 at 09:40

wher eyou read it, 2 bands what was overated in that time velvet Undergrouan and Sonic Youth

wtf? first of all sonic youth formed in 1981, and the velvet underground formed in 1965 so they are not from the same time and both of these bands, no matter if you like them or not, were one of the most influential rock bands in history. and i personally like velvet underground a lot, don't know what you think is overrated about them.
28.05.2008 - 10:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=26778] on 28.05.2008 at 10:22

wtf? first of all sonic youth formed in 1981, and the velvet underground formed in 1965 so they are not from the same time and both of these bands, no matter if you like them or not, were one of the most influential rock bands in history. and i personally like velvet underground a lot, don't know what you think is overrated about them.

I meant time when bandsd was popular
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.05.2008 - 20:56
rageing atheist
Account deleted

From an interview given to Mortem webzine, I'll paste the question and answer about the main influences:

"Novelty astonished me with it´s raw and almost rock sound, was that an intention? I would say that guitarwriting wear quite resemblance to joyless. What are the main influences for Forgotten woods?"

"The sound is intentional and the rock aspect simply turned out that way on some of the songs. The sound itself was always to be very ugly and uninviting however. The main influences for Forgotten Woods was (to cut it short) Bathory, Celtic Frost, a bunch of european Thrash, The Doors and The Velvet Underground. Main influences then and probably our main influences now and more in a attitude sense rather than a direct musical influence. I listen to just about any genre of music though as long as it reeks quality I simply don't give a shit if it's Black Metal, acoustic stuff ala Death In June or the latest hit-single for that matter. It usually tends to be quite dark music however, regardless of genre."

The whole interview can be found at http://www.mortemzine.net/show.php?id=828
08.02.2009 - 06:45
FOOCK Nam
Can anyone recommend me which stuff of them having post-rock element? I check Race Of Cains, good one, more rock but not really post-rockish.. thats why I need a directive recommendation.