The usual

I like
I don't like
Unaware before the thread, now like
Unaware before the thread, now dislike

Total votes: 30
12.02.2008 - 11:36
Vunts
I thought if I should put this thread in the melodic forum, because the band is quite very melodic, but it's still a bit blackish also, and they are widely recognized as black metal, so I ended up making the topic in the extreme subforum. Feel free to move it, if you deem necessary.
Now with that out of the way, I'll go more into why I thought to make this post.

I recently obtained their 2008 release "Steadfast" ("illegally" of course!) and from the first few riffs of the opener - Brunanburh - I was drawn in to this band. I suppose their music could be characterized under "epic folky black/heavy metal". They use a drum machine as I found out when I was reading up on their releases, so they did a great job here, because I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. The riffs are more up tempo than your average black metal guitars, but the sound of them is very much similar (nope, can't describe, but I think you know!). They use both growls and clean vocals (the clean vocals remind me of Summoning) and both vocals styles are quite varied in the songs (meaning a the voice doesn't feel monotonous at all).

Okay, now I'll get back to the album itself. There are 11 songs which clock up a grand total of 55 minutes. Most of the songs are fast paced, but there are a few mid paced ones. As I found out, they have a compulsory instrumental track on every album, and this one is a bit different from the previous ones in the sense that it's more metal, less keyboardy (yup, I had a few other CDs by them on a DVD a friend gave me a long time ago). As a matter of fact, the whole music itself is less keyboardy than their previous concoctions, so the folky element is more like pagan and comes through the song structures and ways the guitars are played, not by flat out including folk instruments and gaining the "folk" title like that.

Bleh, I keep going away from the album...well...I dunno, it's not that easy to write when the songs are playing and most of my concentration goes to headbanging and tapping my foot. Anyways, a few highlights that are recommended listening from the new album (will be out in March I think): Cween of the Mark, Steadfast. Those two songs are competing hard for the "my favourite song this month" top position and the whole album might be my "best folk metal album 2008" if it is nominated in that category next year. Highly recommended by me!

So discuss. New album, old albums, everything.
12.02.2008 - 11:42
ylside
Staff
Ahhh, didn't know they released a new album already!
I do also think they're more meant to the melodic forum but who cares now. It was among the first bands I discovered thanks to MS, heard The Fighting Man and Ours Is The Kingdom. It's nice, but nothing really special about them.
I hope this Steadfast will top Ours Is The Kingdom like it did for The Fighting man for me heh.
12.02.2008 - 17:44
Damnated
Churchburner
why are they labeled as "English Heathen" Folk metal here? they play folk black metal..
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.02.2008 - 17:58
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I enjoy them just fine. I don't own any of their releases, and am not extremely familiar with their work, but I like the different approach they take to their style of music, namely their image, lyrical themes, vocal melodies, and song structures. It's a very refreshing take on "Black" Metal, while not getting drowned in the numerous overly Satanic, Anti-Christian, Pagan, Viking, bands out there. Good stuff.
----
The force will be with you, always.
12.02.2008 - 20:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 12.02.2008 at 17:44

why are they labeled as "English Heathen" Folk metal here? they play folk black metal..

because band dont wann athat thay has been called BM band so thay think about that genre
i like this band i adore it i vote for I like it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.02.2008 - 21:24
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 12.02.2008 at 20:58

because band dont wann athat thay has been called BM band so thay think about that genre

so? bands usually don't know their own genres for sure, and invent stupid tags like these, just so they can differentiate them from others. this however is a subjective thing. MS should label bands according to their genres. the labeling should be objective.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.02.2008 - 21:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 12.02.2008 at 21:24

Written by Bad English on 12.02.2008 at 20:58

so? bands usually don't know their own genres for sure, and invent stupid tags like these, just so they can differentiate them from others. this however is a subjective thing. MS should label bands according to their genres. the labeling should be objective.

I agree whit you but i doubt this band dont know thay that thay play BM, but genre dont change that thay play good music
----

apos;'
[image]
12.02.2008 - 22:14
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 12.02.2008 at 21:31

I agree whit you but i doubt this band dont know thay that thay play BM, but genre dont change that thay play good music

these guys do know that they play bm, but according to MA: "They call their music "Anglo-Saxon Metal", and dislike being referred to as Black Metal." lol. what a gay thing to do.
----

12.02.2008 - 22:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 12.02.2008 at 22:14

Written by Bad English on 12.02.2008 at 21:31

these guys do know that they play bm, but according to MA: "They call their music "Anglo-Saxon Metal", and dislike being referred to as Black Metal." lol. what a gay thing to do.

I dunno but maybe thay are possessed whit anglo=saxony
----

apos;'
[image]
13.02.2008 - 00:02
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I think their singer wishes he would be Eric Adams.
13.02.2008 - 13:41
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 13.02.2008 at 00:02

doesn't everyone? =P
----

09.02.2009 - 22:20
Galar
Wicked Mung
I don't like this band, I LOVE them. Forefather is one of the most underrated bands in the metal scene and i was also wondering something...
Has forefather ever played a live show and if not do you think they ever will?
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
09.02.2009 - 23:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 13.02.2008 at 13:41

doesn't everyone? =P

Nope
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2009 - 22:16
Dest
A friend of mine lent me Ours is the Kingdom a while back. Great album, they are indeed a bit different then most bands I've heard. Great stuff.

I should get The Fighting Man and Deep Into Time soon! Can't wait
17.02.2009 - 08:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.02.2009 at 23:59

Written by Damnated on 13.02.2008 at 13:41

doesn't everyone? =P

Nope

What? Don't like the idea of giving Joey DeMaio a purely heterosexual soap-down in the showers after a gig?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.02.2009 - 12:44
ylside
Staff
Written by Blood Red Moon on 17.02.2009 at 09:55

I think the new album is excellent, all the greatness of Ours is the Kingdom PLUS more!

Good think I'll check it then!
(yes didn't check it since my last answer in that thread hehe)
17.02.2009 - 18:56
Richard
Elite
I only have one of their albums, 'The Fighting Man' which is jolly good stuff. Their approach reminds me a bit of Falkenbach, with the mixture of raspy vocals and heroic melodic singing. And something called 'Anglo-Saxon Metal' makes a change from all those 'Viking Metal' bands! (Although many of the original Vikings of Scandinavia invaded England and raised families here, so some English people are probably descended from the Vikings anyway).
----
17.02.2009 - 23:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 17.02.2009 at 18:56

I only have one of their albums, 'The Fighting Man' which is jolly good stuff. Their approach reminds me a bit of Falkenbach, with the mixture of raspy vocals and heroic melodic singing. And something called 'Anglo-Saxon Metal' makes a change from all those 'Viking Metal' bands! (Although many of the original Vikings of Scandinavia invaded England and raised families here, so some English people are probably descended from the Vikings anyway).

Its even better how Falkenbach, much better I think its one of best UK's band who start leither at 90's ok Primordial dont counts even some simmilarities are there
I dunno how are writeing lyrics in english if yo're englsih, but this band do it acelent
My fav song still are ''The Shield Wall'' it sounds awsome and many viking bands write some lyrics insiprated from Amon Amarth, Bathory but those guys do it from Engand , even like you sad there was viking invaders.
They are also simple band, even it looks so complicated, but generaly music are simply made and alnums to, 2 guys got inspiration and criate music.
Damn I want own all (legaly bought) albums from this band ... The Shield Wall perfect song for re play 20 times in PC
, dunno I just like how sounds instruments and vocal and singing into this song, raaly its amazing
----

apos;'
[image]
18.05.2010 - 22:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Revisiting 'Steadfast' and I have no idea why I didn't appreciate it first time around, I must have been in a foul mood or something but at any rate, what a fantastically uplifting album. It's kinda strange how despite the fact they're fairly well known I almost never hear them mentioned, I suppose they are a bit divergent from the black metal norm. I also have no problem with drum machine of this band either, one of the best examples I've heard.
19.05.2010 - 06:00
Derwood
Written by Guest on 18.05.2010 at 22:01

Revisiting 'Steadfast' and I have no idea why I didn't appreciate it first time around, I must have been in a foul mood or something but at any rate, what a fantastically uplifting album. It's kinda strange how despite the fact they're fairly well known I almost never hear them mentioned, I suppose they are a bit divergent from the black metal norm. I also have no problem with drum machine of this band either, one of the best examples I've heard.

One of the best folk metal albums I've heard. To my ears, this album marked a real transition for this band. Their previous albums were decent enough and you can hear their evolution from a primarily black style to a primarily folk style, but none of them come close to the outstanding quality of Steadfast.

It's funny you should mention the drum machine, as this album was their first to feature a real drummer in The Wolfhead. The difference in the drumming is one of the biggest improvements from their earlier works. I'm really looking forward to something new from these guys and hoping to continue to improve.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
25.05.2010 - 16:32
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
What a stupid poll... Like people who hate this band will even take a look at the thread and vote "I don't like". Anyway, I do like Forefather and Steadfast is very good album, though knowing it's not a real drummer is kinda annoying.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
16.07.2010 - 00:13
.:Jux:.
I still gave my vote