06. Hero
07. Dark Alliance
08. Embraced By Sorrow
09. Dissolution Of Purity
10. Violent Kingdom
11. Awaken The Man
12. End Of Days
13. Mercy Killing

I first heard Jacobs Dream a couple years ago, in 2008 when they added me on Myspace randomly. The first song I heard by them was "Demon World" off this album, Dominion of Darkness. As we all know, Power Metal is primarily known for the use of super high, glass breaking vocals. So it was a great surprise to me to hear one of the few "baritone" vocalists out there. It caught me by surprise. Chaz Bond's vocal style is perfect for these songs, and is accompanied perfectly by the gritty, powerful guitars and pummeling drums.

Another fun fact about Jacobs Dream is that they're a Christian metal band. After I heard this, I was skeptical about listening to anything else, since every Christian band that openly describes themselves as such has a tendency to over-preach on their albums. Dominion of Darkness is a refreshing break from that monotony. The opening track, "Demon World" provides a steady, heavy rhythm, with thought provoking, but still relatively religiously-neutral lyrics. The Christian influence is there, but it's not overwhelming. Any question that this is a power metal band is gone as soon as the chorus comes in. Anthemic riffing, and near-glorious vocals, a strong beat? this song will make you move your neck around.

One of the strongest points about this album I can find would have to be the simplicity of the music. It's not overly technical, but everything melds together so well that it sounds like a more complicated endeavor. The melody of the two guitars paints the perfect picture for Chaz Bond to come in and finish with his powerful bellow. The drums keep the tempo from being too slow, despite the melodic approach of the guitars.

I recommend any lover of power metal to just give this album at least one spin. There are some real gems here. "Demon World," and "Dissolution of Purity" will keep you on your feet, and amped up for headbanging, while the more emotional track, "Hero," will leave you bouncing your head to the rhythm, while inadvertently sinking into deep thought without even realizing it. Dominion of Darkness as a whole is captivating, thought provoking, and still maintains the appropriate daily percentage of Epic #5 for the growing metalhead.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written by Holy Man | 06.12.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 56 users
06.12.2010 - 20:03
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Hmmm never heard these guys. I'll check it out. Thanx for the review
06.12.2010 - 20:03
Fat & Sassy!

Short, simple, and to-the-point. Much like the music you describe. I can dig it.
06.12.2010 - 20:10
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
These guys are pretty interesting dude. And you don't drown in the bullshit of "I love god" and all that shit you hear in most christian metal albums. And they're not that well known, it's pretty sweet, they're nice guys too. Take the time to talk to their fans.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
06.12.2010 - 21:34
Susan
Smeghead
This review definitely peaked my interest. I love a good baritone fronting a power metal band. And IMO a good Christian band doesn't beat you over the head with their lyrics, which it sounds like these guys don't. Will try this one out!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
06.12.2010 - 21:39
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
I'm actually cruising their discography right now, I just finished acquiring it, and am giving the rest of their stuff a good day's listen, haha.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
03.06.2020 - 11:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Intro part about demon words, well it was Hellish Star what introduce me whit this band, just a name, music I found in same way as you, same song and still I think its their best
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 10176 | This month: 21