Album: Torn Beyond Reason
Release date: February 2011

01. Torn Beyond Reason
02. Darker Days
03. An Unbroken Moment
04. The Inevitable End
05. November
06. Somehow...

The depressive duo of Tim "Sorrow" Yatras and the man known only as "D" are back with yet another chilling display of a statuesque journey through melancholia, venturing only so far from the true path of solitude with Woods Of Desolation in order to entice the audience enough to gain a mutual understanding of nature's purest form of torment.

Woods of desolation. A barren wasteland. Emptiness. A deserted territory. These images are captured perfectly not only by the spellbinding cover art, but by the mournful atmosphere that nicks a vein and leaves you with a band-aid and a cup of cold water to stop the bleeding. It tears at your cheek with a mighty force, ripping you from the comfort of your abyss, scrutinizes you, evaluates your worth, inspects you for flaws, scoffs at your lack of purpose, considers removing you from your shelter permanently...only to toss you back in again.

It's a catch-and-release expression of pity and joy, a game of cat and mouse interrupted by one of Tolkien's ring-wraiths shrieking before the stupefied animals, as diluted drums blast away in the undertow. Acoustic guitars make their presence felt when necessary, calming the chaos and giving reason to the anarchy, while the profound (and unfortunately all too rare) cello use sends ripples through your wrists as the tide begins to rise.

The austerity of such a release has been watered down slightly, perhaps due to the outside influence of a certain stone-colored water involving our beloved duo - nevertheless, the trees are imposing as ever, and there's nobody else around to hear them fall.

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/woodsofdesolation

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 19.06.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 68   Visited by: 555 users
11.01.2012 - 19:34
Mountain King
K i K o
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hAefXXgR4g

Who calls this music? It's even boring technically...
11.01.2012 - 20:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Mountain King on 11.01.2012 at 19:34
Who calls this music?

Uhhh... everybody, because it is music. Being boring is a personal opinion though so I won't comment on that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.01.2012 - 23:08
Rating: 9
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

Like the little Doc said... it's music.

And it's not supposed to be technical - its primary focus is on atmosphere.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.01.2012 - 00:40
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.01.2012 at 23:08

Like the little Doc said... it's music.

And it's not supposed to be technical - its primary focus is on atmosphere.

I meant even the technical side sucks if i were to find something interesting in it, i know it's supposed to be atmospheric. Not to mention the growling is overshadowed by the music. Personally i think it's pretty bad, can't understand how it's rated an 8.6 but i guess some ppl just dig this kind of wierd sounds...
12.01.2012 - 01:04
Uldreth

Written by Mountain King on 12.01.2012 at 00:40

I meant even the technical side sucks if i were to find something interesting in it, i know it's supposed to be atmospheric. Not to mention the growling is overshadowed by the music. Personally i think it's pretty bad, can't understand how it's rated an 8.6 but i guess some ppl just dig this kind of wierd sounds...

Vocals buried deep within the sound is a characteristic of shoegaze, a genre this album heavily borrows from. I consider that to be a good thing, bands way too often focus too much on the vocals. Less apparent in metal but still an existing thing. In this album vocals pretty much match that "vague" tranquil atmosphere the music creates very well with those quiet, distant sounding screams and should probably be viewed more as an instrument than vocals in the traditional sense.

If it didn't click with you, well that's your loss, I consider this album to be extremely beautiful and elevating.
10.02.2012 - 05:38
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Downloading now can't wait!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.03.2012 - 21:56
Ikuinen

Second best album of 2011
...the best one was Anathema's Falling Deeper
11.03.2012 - 22:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ikuinen on 11.03.2012 at 21:56
:dshy: Second best album of 2012...the best one was Anathema's Falling Deeper

2011?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 12144 | This month: 34