Metal Storm logo
Muse

Original post

Posted by AnGina--, 19.11.2006 - 14:33
I'm not gonna start this topic with ''Muse begain in bla bla....'' but with enthusiasm as their latest album definately deserves my #1 of year 2006 in rock scene.

I was never a fan, listened to them occasionaly, but since Black Holes and Revelations they became one of my favourite bands and they helped me re-gain my love for rock as I used to have.

The reason why I find them so outstanding stays unknown probably even to me, but their mixture of melodic rock with modern electronic sounds and a die-for vocals (yepp, I absolutey adore them) is just mesmerizing. I also really love their lyrics, halfway cryptic, halfway neo-romantic, anyway, perfect.

So, if you have any thoughts, you're more than welcome to share them
30.11.2012 - 20:52
Kanto

Last album is pretty cool, but for those "Origin Of Symmetry & Absolution" lovers there are pretty few things to attach with. Panic Station, Madness, Save Me and Unsustainable are quite good songs, but they don't belong to the Muse that rocked us with Plug In Baby and Hysteria at all.

@AnGina-- Thanks for the review, I was wondering how they would put the new songs into the traditional setlist. I can imagine Supremacy and Survival fuse well with Plug In Baby, Bliss or Time Is Running Out; but for Madness, Animals or Liquid State is harder (like the hard time Blackout and Soldier's Poem had some years ago)
----
...Dude.
27.12.2012 - 12:19
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I finally got around to listening to The 2nd Law. All I can say is that it was very "meh." I didn't really feel any of the tracks. The majority of The Resistance was much worse, but at least it had Uprising and the three parts of Exogenesis. I didn't really care for any particular track on The 2nd Law.
----
27.12.2012 - 22:32
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Their last album was my disappointment of 2012
28.12.2012 - 08:21
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 27.12.2012 at 22:32

I would say the same, but the album before that, The Resistance, was bad too. It wasn't really a surprise that The 2nd Law wasn't really that good.
----
28.12.2012 - 10:11
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 28.12.2012 at 08:21

Written by Guest on 27.12.2012 at 22:32

I would say the same, but the album before that, The Resistance, was bad too. It wasn't really a surprise that The 2nd Law wasn't really that good.

I enjoyed Resistance, I don't have a problem with it.
04.01.2013 - 21:56
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well, I had no expectations about The 2nd Law in the first place, since Madness and Unsustainable were besides Survival the only songs I heard before the whole album came out. The 2nd Law really isn't an album that would kick in after a few listens, but after listening it viral after the release it has become - unexpectedly - one of my faves of 2012. I'm totally hooked on it, still, I have it in my car and play it over and over again. The new sound is a bit radical, but at least for me, highly enjoyable. It also gave me a new perspective on The Resistance, as it really wasn't my cup of Muse tea, but now I seem to enjoy it far more. All in all I gotta say Muse is probably THE rock band of this age for me.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
23.01.2013 - 02:12
stupid noob
Account deleted
One of my buddies plays this one album of theirs ALL the time. It's so annoying hearing the same songs over and over, and I don't even think they're that good! I think this is one band that doesn't deserve the hype it gets, to be perfectly honest. That same friend always tells me they give a great live performance though, and that even I would love it even though I'm not a fan of their music. I don't think I would spend money on tickets though, they seem a little too pretentious for me, or maybe it's just my friend who's pretentious. HA!
23.01.2013 - 20:47
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I quite like the band, in small doses. There's something about their combined use of "electronic distortion" (for lack of a better term) and Bellamy's voice that just rubs me the wrong way. It's not a sound that I like listening to for longer periods of time. One album, and then I need something else.

Origin of Symmetry is a great album and Absolution is a good one as well. I haven't heard the last two, because Black Holes was so inconsistent. I do own a copy of The Resistance though (it was cheap).
22.07.2021 - 06:44
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Muse is one of those bands that is on the border between rock and metal. But since there are many of those types of bands on this site (AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, Rainbow, Guns N Roses, etc), I would have liked to see Muse on Metal Storm as well.
Just listen to their 2015 song The Handler and tell me that's not metal!
23.07.2021 - 17:42
Deadsoulman

Written by F3ynman2000 on 22.07.2021 at 06:44

That's not metal.

That's alternative rock, maybe a bit downtuned or whatever the correct technical term is. It's a cool song, I'll grant you that, but there's definitely no metal in there. And Muse is largely a cool band despite a few minor lapses, but I can't remember a single moment on any of their albums that made me think "wow, this is almost metal". They've had some pretty heavy alt-rock stuff mainly on their first three albums (which are three of my favourite albums ever, I had to say it), but that's about it. To me, that's like saying Nirvana was "bordering on metal" because they had some heavy songs.
23.07.2021 - 22:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Does somebody nowadays listen this band, its lost n gone as Oases IMO, just few freaks as those who are a bit older remmebers lol
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.07.2021 - 22:44
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Deadsoulman on 23.07.2021 at 17:42

That's not metal.

That's alternative rock, maybe a bit downtuned or whatever the correct technical term is. It's a cool song, I'll grant you that, but there's definitely no metal in there. And Muse is largely a cool band despite a few minor lapses, but I can't remember a single moment on any of their albums that made me think "wow, this is almost metal". They've had some pretty heavy alt-rock stuff mainly on their first three albums (which are three of my favourite albums ever, I had to say it), but that's about it. To me, that's like saying Nirvana was "bordering on metal" because they had some heavy songs.

After all, what is metal really?
Haha, but before we go down that endless discussion, thanks for replying! I definitely have difficulties discerning the difference between metal and alt rock. I mean, I would say Linkin Park is alt Rock and not metal, but apparently there are people on this site who think Linkin Park is metal.
23.07.2021 - 22:46
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Bad English on 23.07.2021 at 22:05

Does somebody nowadays listen this band, its lost n gone as Oases IMO, just few freaks as those who are a bit older remmebers lol

Yeah I see the last reply here was 2013!
I last listened to them intensely something like 3 years ago . But I recently had to think of them again and remember really liking them. I should probably go back and listen to them again
23.07.2021 - 22:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by F3ynman2000 on 23.07.2021 at 22:46

Yeah I see the last reply here was 2013!
I last listened to them intensely something like 3 years ago . But I recently had to think of them again and remember really liking them. I should probably go back and listen to them again

I might listen them on radio like when I was teenager ... after it well, forgotten name
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.07.2021 - 11:06
Deadsoulman

Totally different from Oasis, sorry, Muse still has quite a bit of mainstream success, their last albums topped a whole bunch of charts, Drones was even their first album to get #1 in the US. I've seen them live a couple years ago at the Stade de France, along with 90000 people. I don't think that qualifies as lost and gone.
24.07.2021 - 11:09
Deadsoulman

Written by F3ynman2000 on 23.07.2021 at 22:44

After all, what is metal really?
Haha, but before we go down that endless discussion, thanks for replying! I definitely have difficulties discerning the difference between metal and alt rock. I mean, I would say Linkin Park is alt Rock and not metal, but apparently there are people on this site who think Linkin Park is metal.

Come on, is there anything better than pointless debates about what is metal and what's not, really Sometimes it's debatable (Deftones, for instance), but not in the case of Muse I think. I would agree with you about Linkin Park, though.
24.07.2021 - 12:52
Zap
Written by Deadsoulman on 24.07.2021 at 11:06

Muse still has quite a bit of mainstream success, their last albums topped a whole bunch of charts, Drones was even their first album to get #1 in the US.

Is topping the charts with an album still worth something in 2021 when most people consume music through streaming platforms?

I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just wondering out loud if that is a meaningful way to estimate an artist's commerial success in this day and age.
24.07.2021 - 13:58
Deadsoulman

You're right, it probably doesn't mean much other than the fact that the band retains at least a wee bit of mainstream popularity (which was my point regarding BE's post)

I don't know how charts are calculated though, are they still only based on physical sales of albums or do they factor in streaming in some way or another?
24.07.2021 - 15:11
Zap
Written by Deadsoulman on 24.07.2021 at 13:58

You're right, it probably doesn't mean much other than the fact that the band retains at least a wee bit of mainstream popularity (which was my point regarding BE's post)

I don't know how charts are calculated though, are they still only based on physical sales of albums or do they factor in streaming in some way or another?

No idea really, I do think it is mostly based on sales (perhaps including digital sales?)

I got your initial point through, and you are probably right about them retaining some or even a lot of mainstream popularity.

Sorry for going way off topic, haha.
24.07.2021 - 15:57
Deadsoulman

Hey, this thread had been dead for eight years, a little offtopicness is better than no activity at all
13.01.2022 - 16:59
Deadsoulman

Muse is one of those bands that is on the border between rock and metal.

Now, if you were to make that statement after listening to their new song, I would not contradict you

13.01.2022 - 23:16
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Deadsoulman on 13.01.2022 at 16:59

Muse is one of those bands that is on the border between rock and metal.

Now, if you were to make that statement after listening to their new song, I would not contradict you

Wow! Unexpected, but that's damn fire
(Also: Epilepsy warning!)
14.01.2022 - 10:16
Deadsoulman

Written by F3ynman2000 on 13.01.2022 at 23:16

Wow! Unexpected, but that's damn fire

Yes, it's a damn fine song that actually got me a little excited for the new album. Also, I didn't think I'd ever hear an actual scream in a Muse song. That ending is alternative metal material. Didn't know Muse could still be surprising!
05.08.2022 - 19:36
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Hot damn! I'm revisiting Origin Of Symmetry (it's been like 4 years?!) and I'm rediscovering how incredible that album is! There are headbanging moments, emotional moments (with exceptional falsetto singing), great audible bass, and lots of experimentation (like the inclusion of lots of piano and organ playing)! Every song is a banger in itself

For those who haven't heard it or those who'd like to rediscover its beauty like me, here ya go :