Metal Storm logo
Nocturnus

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 22.11.2006 - 02:09
I am not to sure if there are that many people on Metalstorm familiar with this unique band.It is hard to label their style,technical/experimental death or just technical.Think synths.,keyboards,sc-fi sound effects,satanic lyrics,and awesome heavy and technical riffs,mixed in one and then you'll get Nocturnus.Mike Browning ex-morbid angel drummer and vocalist was the main founder of the group and he did double duties on their debut "The Key" and played only drums on "Thresholds".Their albums are pretty hard to come by,even though "The Key" was re-mastered.I have only been able to find one song from "Thresholds","Subterranean Infiltrator" and It was great musically,but I dont like Dan Izzo as much as Mike.You might have to give them sometime to get used to,its alot to swallow,which is probably why they never received any recognition,way to ahead of their time.Sean McNenney and Mike Davis are very talented guitarists,and execute their skills superbly,which is probably the best thing about their albums.They also released a self-titled Demo in 93' and in 2000 "Ethereal Tomb",both of which I haven't heard.Anyone else appreciate and enjoy this band as much as I?
12.01.2008 - 19:25
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.01.2008 at 18:28

if you find something, let me know, i'm very curious about it

Sure will, though I haven't found much yet besides a german page which lists the czech version as well -http://www.carnagedeathmetal.de/carnage/oldschool/bands/n/nocturnus/releases/90_TheKey.html

You too have the czech version, or are you just curious about it?
12.01.2008 - 19:44
Cookies Upstairs
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.01.2008 at 19:25

Written by Guest on 12.01.2008 at 18:28

if you find something, let me know, i'm very curious about it

Sure will, though I haven't found much yet besides a german page which lists the czech version as well -http://www.carnagedeathmetal.de/carnage/oldschool/bands/n/nocturnus/releases/90_TheKey.html

You too have the czech version, or are you just curious about it?

i'm just curious
13.01.2008 - 22:38
Stigmatized
Just listened to "The Key" for the first time. One of the best death metal albums I've heard in awhile. This will get several spins in the coming weeks.
13.01.2008 - 22:40
Cookies Upstairs
Account deleted
Written by Stigmatized on 13.01.2008 at 22:38

Just listened to "The Key" for the first time. One of the best death metal albums I've heard in awhile. This will get several spins in the coming weeks.

great you liked it, true materpiece. especially the riffs on andromeda strain, freaking catchy shit.
14.01.2008 - 00:51
Stigmatized
Written by Guest on 13.01.2008 at 22:40

Written by Stigmatized on 13.01.2008 at 22:38

great you liked it, true materpiece. especially the riffs on andromeda strain, freaking catchy shit.

Yeah, very catchy. Some really great guitar parts too.
30.05.2008 - 01:51
Baz Anderson
staff
so, like ylside asked on the last page - has anyone actually got the DVD? - and if they do, what is it like???
is it worth buying?
30.05.2008 - 01:59
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 30.05.2008 at 01:51

so, like ylside asked on the last page - has anyone actually got the DVD? - and if they do, what is it like???
is it worth buying?

well it's like the Autopsy dvd, raw stuff, don't excpect brilliant or good (lol) quality, it's raw and mostly something for die-hard fans i guess. for some reason it was removed from MA, is it considered a bootleg? because almost all sources in the net claim it's an offical release. no idea i downloaded it anyway.
30.05.2008 - 02:18
Baz Anderson
staff
Written by Guest on 30.05.2008 at 01:59

is it worth buying?

well it's like the Autopsy dvd, raw stuff, don't excpect brilliant or good (lol) quality, it's raw and mostly something for die-hard fans i guess. for some reason it was removed from MA, is it considered a bootleg? because almost all sources in the net claim it's an offical release. no idea i downloaded it anyway.

Aah, good idea. I expected it was an official release - you can buy it on amazon after all - here.
The first two albums are simply so brilliant, it is a shame we'll never actually get to see them live - so I thought maybe this would be worth getting, but I'll see what I can see of it on the internet first.
30.05.2008 - 02:35
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 30.05.2008 at 02:18

Written by Guest on 30.05.2008 at 01:59

is it worth buying?

Aah, good idea. I expected it was an official release - you can buy it on amazon after all - here.
The first two albums are simply so brilliant, it is a shame we'll never actually get to see them live - so I thought maybe this would be worth getting, but I'll see what I can see of it on the internet first.

there are a couple of vid's on youtube, and a 27 minute live clip from a gig in 1991 on thrashmageddon.com, but you can only acess that forum with an invitation. i'm a member, but i don't have any invitations left to send, so i'll send you the direct link where you can download it via private mail.
05.11.2021 - 19:15
Redel
Wouldnt it make sense to merge the band profiles of Nocturnus and Nocturnus AD into one profile, possibly the latter, although there are entirely different band members?
05.11.2021 - 19:44
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
Written by Redel on 05.11.2021 at 19:15

Wouldnt it make sense to merge the band profiles of Nocturnus and Nocturnus AD into one profile, possibly the latter, although there are entirely different band members?

We discussed this two and a half years ago and came to the conclusion that there must be two separate profiles.
You have already recognized the main reason yourself, there have been two different entities with different lineups that existed simultaneously for a period of time. By merging, at least a small part of either band's history would be lost, and we wanted to avoid that.
----
signatures = SPAM
05.11.2021 - 20:23
Redel
Written by Starvynth on 05.11.2021 at 19:44

Written by Redel on 05.11.2021 at 19:15

We discussed this two and a half years ago and came to the conclusion that there must be two separate profiles.
You have already recognized the main reason yourself, there have been two different entities with different lineups that existed simultaneously for a period of time. By merging, at least a small part of either band's history would be lost, and we wanted to avoid that.

See the point, a fair one. Thanks for the explanation.
09.12.2023 - 17:00
ylside
staff
Paradox kicks ass

Precession of the Equinoxes is a really good song
09.12.2023 - 17:23
mde017
I absolutely adore Nocturnus and their debut is one of the very rare perfect albums for me. Thresholds is not to shabby either. It's criminal what have happened later, most creative days of those musicians completely wasted... Shame.
----
Okręt mój płynie dalej gdzieś tam
Serce choć popękane chce bić
Nie ma Cię i nie było jest noc
Nie ma mnie i nie było jest dzień
14.12.2023 - 11:59
ylside
staff
Written by mde017 on 09.12.2023 at 17:23

I absolutely adore Nocturnus and their debut is one of the very rare perfect albums for me. Thresholds is not to shabby either. It's criminal what have happened later, most creative days of those musicians completely wasted... Shame.

Thoughts on Nocturnus (AD)'s Paradox then ?
15.12.2023 - 14:24
mde017
Written by ylside on 14.12.2023 at 11:59

Written by mde017 on 09.12.2023 at 17:23

Thoughts on Nocturnus (AD)'s Paradox then ?

I have not heard this album yet. On my to check out list....
----
Okręt mój płynie dalej gdzieś tam
Serce choć popękane chce bić
Nie ma Cię i nie było jest noc
Nie ma mnie i nie było jest dzień