Style: Stoner metal
Release date: November 2012

01. (Prelude)
02. Howling
03. Holy Sky
04. The Parasite Ravages
05. It Comes From The Mist
06. Interzone

The Metal Storm 2012 Awards are fast approaching, so let me just come right out and say it. In the category of best debut album, Wheelfall's Interzone is a serious contender. If you're at all familiar with William S. Burroughs, the legendary Beat Generation writer, you probably would've recognized that the album title is an ode to the place wherein most of the action in Naked Lunch takes place. This underlying respect of classic psychedelia/sci fi culture that adorns Interzone helps make it a very enjoyable (a bit different as well) album that is fun not only for those who like such elements to begin with, but also a bit mysteriously enticing for those who don't.

Aside from the sci fi themes, the other factor that makes Interzone so pleasant a listen is its catchiness. There are enough memorable grooves and "bouncy" riffs here to easily be on par with Sleep's Holy Mountain or Blues For The Red Sun, and that is by no means an exaggeration (the opening one on "Howling," in particular, has had me humming it ever since I've heard it). The formula's quite simple: heavy, blues-based melodies in the vein of classic Sleep, Kyuss, and Black Sabbath, and its delivery packs a punch. But wait! There's one more twist that makes both Wheelfall and this album a big eyebrow-raiser. The vocal delivery is very harsh, and at times the vocalist actually reminded me of Gojira's Joe Duplaintier (listen to "The Parasite Ravages," especially, and you'll see what I mean)! This can seem odd at times, but if one really considers it, it goes hand and hand with the band's sci-fi, somewhat dystopian themes. To emphasize them, Wheelfall would (at least in theory) need to go for a bit of a "tortured" sound with their vocals, and the band does just that excellently.

The only issue I have with Interzone is that I, personally, feel that the composition isn't as advanced as it could have been, and being a musician myself, I felt as though the band throwing in some synthesizers and/or a more "atmospheric" guitar tone really could've helped to embellish the whole sci-fi vibe even more, but perhaps that simply wasn't the approach that Wheelfall were going for, so I can't complain. Anywho, taken for what it is, Interzone is a well-crafted delivery from a young and relatively obscure band. Whether it's the "trippy" ambience of the album's intro, the hook of the riffs, or the Yob-like monster of a title track that one can get completely lost in, Interzone's package is put together quite nicely, and I'd be very surprised if stoner metal fans don't enjoy this one. Is this the debut album of 2012? Quite possibly so, or at least it is for stoner metal. Crank it high, my metal brethren.

Listen at Bandcamp.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 02.12.2012 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 142 users
02.12.2012 - 23:22
Evil Chip

Is it as creepy and horrendous as the book?
02.12.2012 - 23:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Evil Chip on 02.12.2012 at 23:22

Is it as creepy and horrendous as the book?

Not quite, but certainly a good cut of stoner metal that's pretty unique with this respect of classic sci-fi/psychedelic culture, like I said in the review.
It really makes me wish I had the lyrics in front of me to see if they relate at all to the book... I haven't been able to find them anywhere
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.12.2012 - 00:33
Evil Chip

Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.12.2012 at 23:25

Not quite, but certainly a good cut of stoner metal that's pretty unique with this respect of classic sci-fi/psychedelic culture, like I said in the review.
It really makes me wish I had the lyrics in front of me to see if they relate at all to the book... I haven't been able to find them anywhere

Been there too... The only way is buying it or trying to understand (and probably failing at it).
03.12.2012 - 00:45
Merchant of Doom

Is it stoner? No, don't panic, I'm only joking...
03.12.2012 - 05:00
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Merchant of Doom on 03.12.2012 at 00:45

It's all good, and no worries about the long argument on the Evoken review. I actually have to thank you now for helping to make that the the most-commented thing on the site now
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.12.2012 - 10:13
Merchant of Doom

Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.12.2012 at 05:00

Written by Merchant of Doom on 03.12.2012 at 00:45

It's all good, and no worries about the long argument on the Evoken review. I actually have to thank you now for helping to make that the the most-commented thing on the site now

Happy to help... And I liked the way you conducted yourself, unlike other members of the staff. I appreciate it.
03.12.2012 - 11:23
Milena
gloom cookie
Congrats on the front page space! I'm the person to go to for cookies and milk and kudos.
The best debut cat will indeed be tight.
----
7.0 means the album is good
03.12.2012 - 11:31
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Good man. I'm sold. Need to check these guys out
----
loves 小巫
03.12.2012 - 14:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Sounds intriguing. I saw that cover art somewhere a while ago and aroused me quite a bit.
03.12.2012 - 19:43
Druss

Definately worth checking out, just finished my first listen of it on Bandcamp (link here btw). Great debut, and add my name to those admiring that awesome album cover.
03.12.2012 - 20:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Druss on 03.12.2012 at 19:43

Definately worth checking out, just finished my first listen of it on Bandcamp (link here btw). Great debut, and add my name to those admiring that awesome album cover.

I know, it looks like something out of the illustrations for the Fear And Loathing And Las Vegas book. These guys are definitely a band to keep an eye on, for sure.
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 5481 | This month: 3