04. Cicadidae
05. Vegetable Soup
06. Lullaby For A Fat Jellyfish
07. Grosse Barbe
08. Corpus Tristis
09. Scarlatti 2.0
10. Toothpaste
11. Infinite Loop

I remember from a documentary on musical notes production and history, that the ancient Chinese believed music is the answer of human beings to their surroundings and nature. In this regard mostly their music is based on the five-tone instead of seven-tone scale.

Hence I would say Igorrr has got the best, righteous and exact answer to our surrounding, nature and environment by means of music. What do we have? We have chaos, no clear patterns for events, sometimes disastrous incidents and there are moments filled with pure beauty and bittersweet emotions.

This is exactly how I describe Hallelujah. The harsh vocals, some heavy guitar riffs, electronic noises, classical vocals, jazzy feelings and bluesy tones, sometimes melodious pianos, and so on, could it be more rebellious?

The album starts with a mellow baroque piano line, and then the classical vocal enters in. It takes your hand leading you to step into a kind of dream and then that dream suddenly violates with chaotic electronic sounds and the exotic vocals, in some moments with harsher vocals; and at last it safely takes you back to reality by a catchy violin melody.

This album has got a mix of genres that widely vary and this is the most outlandish thing about it. There are moments with heavy guitars, exotic harsh vocals and drum beats and darker sounds which are mixed very cleverly with some classical tones.

On the other hand it can take us all to a grotesque's journey with a gypsy playing this rebellious music while we hear his chicken as well. There are even moments on this album filled with Flamenco guitars as the dominant sound of rhythms and melodies.

All in all, this album is chaotic, beautiful and at moments, filled with harsher feelings and touchy emotions that are mixed artfully and masterly, the exact answer of human beings to their surroundings I would say.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by angel. | 27.03.2013

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 24   Visited by: 165 users
27.03.2013 - 12:16
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Well you should filter out some people because their outer nature is like a prison nowadays. lol
good review.
27.03.2013 - 12:19
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Monolithic on 27.03.2013 at 12:16

Well you should filter out some people because their outer nature is like a prison nowadays. lol
good review.

I personally think that I COULD have written it better, but I am not allowed to write song by song reviews due MS laws on writing reviews,so I missed some points. But thanks anyhow for reading it.
27.03.2013 - 12:35
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Well if you read my reviews, you can see how unsatisfied I seem when it comes to song-by-song reviews. Personally, I believe it kills all the fun and sucks the joy out of each song if you dissect it. For me, giving an overall impression of the work is much more appealing.
27.03.2013 - 13:24
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Monolithic on 27.03.2013 at 12:35
giving an overall impression of the work is much more appealing.

I agree
27.03.2013 - 15:18
Rating: 8
SSM
Massacred
Great review, great album. Keep on writing.
27.03.2013 - 15:52
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by SSM on 27.03.2013 at 15:18

Great review, great album. Keep on writing.

thank you
27.03.2013 - 20:44
Rating: 9
Kheille

Just listened to the album on youtube, and holy shit is all I can say! How the hell can this mess of different styles and odd noises work so unbelievably well!?
I really hope this can last multiple listenings without getting just annoying.
Thanks for the review.
27.03.2013 - 22:47
Erik M.

Good review. I didn't hear this (yet?), but isn't an 8 for originality low for this? I know this seems like nitpicking, but it seems from what I've read in your review and heard about this album when it got released that it's incredibly original. Though I could be wrong, since I didn't actually hear it.
27.03.2013 - 23:05
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Kheille on 27.03.2013 at 20:44

Just listened to the album on youtube, and holy shit is all I can say! How the hell can this mess of different styles and odd noises work so unbelievably well!?
I really hope this can last multiple listenings without getting just annoying.
Thanks for the review.

haha that was exactly what I felt in the first time I heard it : HOLY SHIT ! For me it could last perfectly I even find more with listening more. I thank you for reading it
27.03.2013 - 23:15
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 27.03.2013 at 22:47

Good review. I didn't hear this (yet?), but isn't an 8 for originality low for this? I know this seems like nitpicking, but it seems from what I've read in your review and heard about this album when it got released that it's incredibly original. Though I could be wrong, since I didn't actually hear it.

Thank you well I don't think it's really low, only 2 less than 10, is it low ? Well I consider originality in songwriting ,and I don't dare to say that I have heard the most innovative for example guitar melodies or rhythms or pianos but the whole different sounds and noises were mixed so artfully that all of them together sound something very chaotic and beautiful but separately no. Actually one of the points I missed to mention on this review is that I SHOULD have said that the strength of this album is that how they managed to mix and master all these various and different lines together this perfectly.AWH I wish I could explain it better.
27.03.2013 - 23:20
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 27.03.2013 at 23:15

Thank you well I don't think it's really low, only 2 less than 10, is it low ? Well I consider originality in songwriting ,and I don't dare to say that I have heard the most innovative for example guitar melodies or rhythms or pianos but the whole different sounds and noises were mixed so artfully that all of them together sound something very chaotic and beautiful but separately no. Actually one of the points I missed to mention on this review is that I SHOULD have said that the strength of this album is that how they managed to mix and master all these various and different lines together this perfectly.AWH I wish I could explain it better.

I think I understand what you mean pretty well. Thanks for clearing that up. And an 8 is definitely not low, but I just noticed the other three points are all 9's, so hence why I was a bit surprised, haha.
27.03.2013 - 23:33
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 27.03.2013 at 23:20

Written by Guest on 27.03.2013 at 23:15

I think I understand what you mean pretty well. Thanks for clearing that up. And an 8 is definitely not low, but I just noticed the other three points are all 9's, so hence why I was a bit surprised, haha.

just felt like I'm saying it unclear
28.03.2013 - 16:08
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Quote:
I remember from a documentary on musical notes production and history

Do you happen to remember the name of that documentary? I'm pretty interested in that stuff.
29.03.2013 - 12:45
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Unhealer on 28.03.2013 at 16:08

Quote:
I remember from a documentary on musical notes production and history

Do you happen to remember the name of that documentary? I'm pretty interested in that stuff.

Unfortunately nope ! and I myself really loved to find the title of that documentary too but I can't remember at all.
30.03.2013 - 19:38
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Too much happening at the same time, and it feels too disjointed. Its a more structured version of Unexpect. It sounds as if my dial-up internet from the 90s was mixed with a bunch of radio stations that don't have anything in common with eachother.

Not my cup of tea.
----
30.03.2013 - 21:34
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by 4look4rd on 30.03.2013 at 19:38

Too much happening at the same time, and it feels too disjointed

that's why I call it chaotic
31.03.2013 - 00:41
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Guest on 30.03.2013 at 21:34

See I wouldn't go as far as calling it chaotic because that would imply a lack of structure. I think its disjointed because for the most part you can hear distinct coherent melodies -- but its as if my left ear was listening to classical while my right ear was listening to metal.

I think this is what distinguishes them from Unexpect. This is a bunch of different melodies on top of each with the random factor coming from which melody is going to be in the foreground vs the background, however the melodies themselves are pretty structured for the most part.

Unexpect is the opposite of this. Its generally just one melody that changes unpredictably.
----
01.04.2013 - 01:42
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by 4look4rd on 31.03.2013 at 00:41

Written by Guest on 30.03.2013 at 21:34

See I wouldn't go as far as calling it chaotic because that would imply a lack of structure. I think its disjointed because for the most part you can hear distinct coherent melodies -- but its as if my left ear was listening to classical while my right ear was listening to metal.

I think this is what distinguishes them from Unexpect. This is a bunch of different melodies on top of each with the random factor coming from which melody is going to be in the foreground vs the background, however the melodies themselves are pretty structured for the most part.

Unexpect is the opposite of this. Its generally just one melody that changes unpredictably.

well what you said is exactly opposite of what I think about this album.Although I call this album chaotic I would say this is completely an artful organized chaos. They exactly knew where to put which melody or rhythm and or any noise and sound,or any of those different styles of vocals and music genres. I have never tried Unexpected but I may pay close attention to them by what you said. And totally I think this album is not what you like and it's matter of having different taste I guess.
01.04.2013 - 13:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Nice review ^^ Glad you got around to submitting this.

For what it's worth I always found Unexpect to be pretty boring, but I don't really see them as an especially worthy point of comparison with this band either, because, as you say, their genre synthesis is relatively minimal. Naturally the term "disjointed" is a term that will be eternally bandied around with bands like Igorrr but that disjointedness is not automatically a negative aspect. There are many bands that try to mish-mash different styles together with varying successes, but I found Igorrr to be one of the most seamless in its execution of controlled chaos in that "disjointed" nature. Even when diametrically opposed elements are flung together there is an underlying sense of unity and organised dissonance. Experimental music is thus; the arrangement of abnormal sounds, styles, structures and tones in a way that challenges the listener. Suggesting that the more conventional band, like Unexpect, is more successful because its more conventional and simplistic should never be a valid critique, imo.

Quote:
but its as if my left ear was listening to classical while my right ear was listening to metal.

And why is this a bad thing? I love both, and hearing the two in unity is a joy to my ears
01.04.2013 - 21:08
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.04.2013 at 13:01

Nice review ^^ Glad you got around to submitting this.

Thanks ^ ^ I'm glad that you checked it out.

Quote:
There are many bands that try to mish-mash different styles together with varying successes, but I found Igorrr to be one of the most seamless in its execution of controlled chaos in that "disjointed" nature. Even when diametrically opposed elements are flung together there is an underlying sense of unity and organised dissonance. Experimental music is thus; the arrangement of abnormal sounds, styles, structures and tones in a way that challenges the listener.

really well said.
04.04.2013 - 18:00
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Nice first review. I clicked on it as soon as I saw YOU wrote it
I can't stand this kind of music tho Just npt my thing...
----
rekt
04.04.2013 - 18:09
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 04.04.2013 at 18:00

Nice first review. I clicked on it as soon as I saw YOU wrote it
I can't stand this kind of music tho Just npt my thing...

^ ^ oh Thanks a lot, actually this is the second one I published on MS but practically the first one I wrote on an album , I understand there are many who doesn't like this kind of music.
28.07.2013 - 04:07
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Anyone know who does which vocals?
21.01.2015 - 16:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by SSM on 27.03.2013 at 15:18

Keep on writing.

she should, I like her reviews
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8587 | This month: 23