Metal Storm logo
Kryptos interview (09/2021)

With: Nolan Lewis
Conducted by: RaduP (skype)
Published: 30.09.2021

Band profile:

Kryptos

As fascinating as it is to interact with a band from India, a country that, despite its population, doesn't seem to have as big of a weight in the metal world, Kryptos' appeal lies more in reflecting the appeal of 80s heavy and thrash metal, with its balls-to-the-walls bravado of bands like Judas Priest, Accept, Mercyful Fate, or Kreator. We liked Afterburner so much that we reviewed it and nominated it for our awards. Now, Kryptos are to release its follow-up, Force Of Danger, so we decided to talk about it, and try not to mention too many times that they're the only Indian band we talked to. And for the first time in a long while, the interview will be available in video form, so you can glance at my face finally.

Kryptos's sixth album, Force Of Danger, is out October 1st, 2021, on AFM Records.

Posted on 30.09.2021 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 80 users
30.09.2021 - 17:53
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
admin
If I may contribute to the film discussion, I have seen 40-50 movies from India. The good ones:

Pather Panchali
Singham [2011]
Bāhubali 1 + 2
Bulbbul
Game Over
Hotel Mumbai

I do usually go out of my way to watch the bad ones, to be fair. I know I'm well behind on Satyajit Ray, Adoor Gopalakrishnan, Mani Ratnam, and probably a thousand others I've never heard of.

Also, I'm tickled by the image of requesting Deep Purple tapes and getting Madonna smuggled into the country instead. And all Martin Scorsese movies are already music videos for The Rolling Stones or somebody like that.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
30.09.2021 - 18:09
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 30.09.2021 at 17:53

I do usually go out of my way to watch the bad ones, to be fair.

I can vouch for that describing your cinematic quests. Thank goodness you have me.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
01.10.2021 - 03:58
tintinb
@SSUS It's Mani Ratnam. Other bands to check out from India, from the top of my head: Scribe, Gutslit, Bloodywood, Demonic Resurrection, Bhayanak Maut, Heathen Beast. We have a very niche metal scene here. Kryptos is by far the most successful.
----
Leeches everywhere.
01.10.2021 - 17:50
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
admin
Written by tintinb on 01.10.2021 at 03:58

@SSUS It's Mani Ratnam. Other bands to check out from India, from the top of my head: Scribe, Gutslit, Bloodywood, Demonic Resurrection, Bhayanak Maut, Heathen Beast. We have a very niche metal scene here. Kryptos is by far the most successful.

Thanks for catching my mistake. I don't know most of those bands, but Heathen Beast is very good and I really like Bloodywood. I have a particularly great love for this song; I wish they would release a full-length.

Otherwise, Eccentric Pendulum and Skyharbor are decent and I recall liking Shepherd's debut.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
01.10.2021 - 23:16
tintinb
Yes, this one is particularly awesome. I follow them on Instagram, they just finished recording a new album. We can expect good news anyday now.
----
Leeches everywhere.
02.10.2021 - 09:00
nikarg
staff
I watched this yesterday. It's nice how he smiles through most of the interview, he seems like such a friendly guy. I liked the video interview and I know that it's infinitely easier because it takes almost no time to post, but I do miss the editor's comments.

I plan to listen to the new album at some point during the weekend. Afterburner was great fun.
02.10.2021 - 09:48
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by nikarg on 02.10.2021 at 09:00

I watched this yesterday. It's nice how he smiles through most of the interview, he seems like such a friendly guy. I liked the video interview and I know that it's infinitely easier because it takes almost no time to post, but I do miss the editor's comments.

SSUS suggested that he can sit in the background and occasionally chime in with a comment, but I reckon the logistics are tangled. Usually I would have to take a couple of days of our time to transcribe the whole thing, fix SSUS' punctuation, add images. Now I think the whole thing took less than 2 hours, including the actual interview.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
04.10.2021 - 13:22
metalbrat
I am really surprised to see some of you guys are really aware of things happening in India in spite of being way behind in international metal world. But believe me, my country is full of music; even in 2021 our movies are packed with duets and melodies and we love them. There are music maestros like Ilayaraja, AR Rahman, Raveendran, et al who have contributed a lot to Indian movies.
Thanks to Radu for this great interview.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘

Hits total: 2588 | This month: 40