Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Part Ways With Drummer Martin Axenrot

Due to conflict of interests, drummer Martin Axenrot is no longer part of the Swedish prog masters Opeth. Martin was part of the band since 2006. Sami Karppinen (ex-Therion) will step in for the North American tour with Mastodon and Zeal & Ardor. The tour starts today in Asheville, North Carolina.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 16.11.2021 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 20   Visited by: 287 users
16.11.2021 - 20:31
Chidder
"Conflict of interests"? Bloodbath maybe?
16.11.2021 - 21:15
qnick90
Its pretty common these days for band members to be fired... they often refuse to be vaccinated, or tour (travel) due to chinese flu.
But its just me speculating....
Would be nice for Opeth to have Gene Hoglan full time this time!
16.11.2021 - 21:32
Tuonelan
Opeth just moved labels as well, from NB to Atomic Fire. Wonder if that move had anything to do with Axe calling it quits?
----
Hopepunk living on a grimdark timeline
16.11.2021 - 22:14
MetalDoomMaster
Written by Tuonelan on 16.11.2021 at 21:32

Opeth just moved labels as well, from NB to Atomic Fire. Wonder if that move had anything to do with Axe calling it quits?

That Atomic Fire thing made no sense to me. Does the founder of Nuclear Blast have no ties to the label anymore or did he just want to have two Nuclear Blasts for no reason?
16.11.2021 - 22:25
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Martin: "where are the growls Mikael?"
Mikael: "you're fired"

16.11.2021 - 22:48
Tuonelan
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 16.11.2021 at 22:14

That Atomic Fire thing made no sense to me. Does the founder of Nuclear Blast have no ties to the label anymore or did he just want to have two Nuclear Blasts for no reason?

Looks like Atomic Fire is completely separate and independent. The founder is calling himself a "former employee" in the label press release:

https://label.atomicfire-records.com/atomic-fire-takes-off-as-a-new-independent-company/
----
Hopepunk living on a grimdark timeline
16.11.2021 - 22:52
Maco
Pvt Funderground
If he left on his own then good decision. There's no future for that band unless you care only about the money.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
16.11.2021 - 23:17
Rupert
Noooooooo he's such a sick drummer and his style blends so well with theirs!
17.11.2021 - 02:14
MetalManic
This may be the first time that I haven't struggled reading the font size on MS.
17.11.2021 - 13:00
Tino99
Sami did pretty well! Saw them last night in Asheville. This was my first time seeing Opeth and it changed my life. Set list was awesome, spanned most of the discography. The Drapery Falls was epic!
17.11.2021 - 17:04
MetalDoomMaster
Written by Tino99 on 17.11.2021 at 13:00

Sami did pretty well! Saw them last night in Asheville. This was my first time seeing Opeth and it changed my life. Set list was awesome, spanned most of the discography. The Drapery Falls was epic!

This makes me really jealous and upset the nearest date on this tour from me is a twelve hour drive haha. Any idea what the full setlist was?
17.11.2021 - 18:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Maco on 16.11.2021 at 22:52

If he left on his own then good decision. There's no future for that band unless you care only about the money.

I agree, it's just live band, but big chance is that they will never play old dm songs live.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.11.2021 - 18:38
Tino99
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 17.11.2021 at 17:04

This makes me really jealous and upset the nearest date on this tour from me is a twelve hour drive haha. Any idea what the full setlist was?

Hopefully next time they'll be closer! Here's the setlist:
1.Livets tradgard
2.Hjartat vet vad handen gor
3.Demon of the Fall
4.Cusp of Eternity
5.The Devil's Orchard
6.The Drapery Falls
7.Windowpane
8.Sorceress
9.Deliverance
18.11.2021 - 03:39
Opethian
Bummer! Still, I'm going to be one happy fan next month seeing them in Denver with Mastodon! Best wishes indeed, Axenrot!
18.11.2021 - 23:09
Ag1975
Written by Tino99 on 17.11.2021 at 18:38

Written by MetalDoomMaster on 17.11.2021 at 17:04

Hopefully next time they'll be closer! Here's the setlist:
1.Livets tradgard
2.Hjartat vet vad handen gor
3.Demon of the Fall
4.Cusp of Eternity
5.The Devil's Orchard
6.The Drapery Falls
7.Windowpane
8.Sorceress
9.Deliverance

C'mon man, they completely forgot the first 4 albums except for 1 only one song!
I'm glad you enjoyed the concert, but to me this is not an awesome setlist neither my idea of "spamming most of the discography"
19.11.2021 - 00:30
Tino99
Written by Ag1975 on 18.11.2021 at 23:09

C'mon man, they completely forgot the first 4 albums except for 1 only one song!
I'm glad you enjoyed the concert, but to me this is not an awesome setlist neither my idea of "spamming most of the discography"

I understand that, but considering they only technically played 8 songs (Livets Tradgard is an intro) and 4 of those are from their masterpiece albums I was pretty happy with that! Most people’s perfect Opeth set list would be about 80-90% older material, but that’s just not gonna happen. A song or two from Morningrise, Still Life or Ghost Reveries would have been nice, but they also had a shorter set due to it being a co-headline tour with Mastodon. They still put on a great show regardless. Windowpane was worth the ticket price alone. I was in tears, or maybe someone was cutting onions near me…either way it was beautiful.
19.11.2021 - 15:42
Novas
Written by Tino99 on 19.11.2021 at 00:30

I understand that, but considering they only technically played 8 songs (Livets Tradgard is an intro) and 4 of those are from their masterpiece albums I was pretty happy with that! Most people’s perfect Opeth set list would be about 80-90% older material, but that’s just not gonna happen. A song or two from Morningrise, Still Life or Ghost Reveries would have been nice, but they also had a shorter set due to it being a co-headline tour with Mastodon. They still put on a great show regardless. Windowpane was worth the ticket price alone. I was in tears, or maybe someone was cutting onions near me…either way it was beautiful.

Y'all also got to remember that Mikael doesn't want to do harsh vocals anymore. Plus, he used to be my favorite in growls, but ever since "Heritage," his growls live sounds so shot and strained. He only sings those old songs for the fans. Another reason why he left Bloodbath. That band sounded great with his growls. You'll never hear harsh vocals from him again. He made that very clear after "Watershed" sadly lol
19.11.2021 - 17:41
Ag1975
Written by Novas on 19.11.2021 at 15:42

Written by Tino99 on 19.11.2021 at 00:30

Y'all also got to remember that Mikael doesn't want to do harsh vocals anymore. Plus, he used to be my favorite in growls, but ever since "Heritage," his growls live sounds so shot and strained. He only sings those old songs for the fans. Another reason why he left Bloodbath. That band sounded great with his growls. You'll never hear harsh vocals from him again. He made that very clear after "Watershed" sadly lol

You're right. I don't want to be too critical with Mikael. He made some incredible music in the past and I will always be a fan. But (in my opinion) he gave the band a new musical direction and he simply isn't talented to write this kind of music.
On a side note. This has always been a problem in Opeth live shows even in the past. They are too short. Seen them 3 times and always the same story.
But at the end of the day, thousands of people, like you, still enjoy Opeth concerts. And that's the most important thing. Total respect.
30.11.2021 - 17:20
Novas
I never had the privilege of seeing them live, yet (they are touring North America soon), but at least he should've disbanded the Opeth name, and started a new band if changing that much. Like Metallica should've changed their name to Shittallica when the Black Album was in the works lmao. Different style = different band, imo. But it's easier for licensing to play older songs under the same band name. So it's understandable.
22.08.2022 - 17:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 3113 | This month: 24