04. Tuonela
05. Greed
06. Divinity
07. Shining
08. Withered
09. Rusty Moon
10. Summers End
11. Northern Lights [Japanese bonus]

Tuonela is Amorphis’ most beautiful album. It defies metal boundaries and explores uncharted sonic paths. With an almost perfect collection of songs from start to finish and a haunting atmosphere, it is a journey worth taking.

Let’s be honest, there’s no meritocracy in metal and the arts in general. No matter how much we want to believe that hard work and talent matter, many unknown factors are at play. Eventually, you get bands like Anthrax considered one of the big four, Disturbed reaching a billion views on YouTube, and Limp Bizkit headlining festivals. At the same time, there are bands like Nevermore that slowly and unfairly fade into obscurity. And, of course, there is the still-active Amorphis, who, despite their immense talent and consistency, has never achieved the level of success they deserve. However, this review is not about personal grievances; it aims to celebrate Amorphis’ most ambitious, most unique, most beautiful album: Tuonela.

The 90s were an evolving period for Amorphis. They started as a humble death metal band but soon released Tales From The Thousand Lakes, a classic folk, death metal album with an amazing atmosphere. Elegy matured their sound even more, adding more sophistication and finesse to both their aesthetics and songwriting while removing a lot of the death influences. Finally, the end of the 90s brings us to Tuonela.

Tuonela’s sound is unprecedented for metal standards. First of all, it has all death metal influences stripped away, and it can only be described as a form of progressive rock, with the drums less in the forefront and the numerous guitar layers, keys, and vocals taking the lead. There’s a strong focus on rich textures achieved with versatile instrumentation and the tasteful use of delay, reverb, and all kinds of effects. Typically, busy mixes with lots of layers can be demanding for the listener, but Amorphis knows which components to bring forward at the right time, whether that is a riff, a melody, or a chord progression played by the keyboards, as in the bittersweet “Summer’s End” that closes the album.

Speaking about specific songs, Tuonela is packed with great songwriting. The opening “The Way” is one of the best tracks the band has ever written. “Divinity” is a great single, and the ending of the song “Tuonela” with the piano and saxophone is just pure bliss. Rarely has a band used a saxophone in such a way that adds to the atmosphere rather than ruining it by trying to be too prog. Overall, each song has something to offer, and because of the rich textures, you crave to listen and discover hidden details.

Regarding the performances, Esa Holopainen is the obvious standout. In fact, Tuonela must be Esa’s most ambitious and unique guitar performance to date; there’s just so much detailed work on his sound and phrasing, anything ranging from clean arpeggios to melodies and solos. Esa must be one of the most underappreciated, well-rounded musicians in metal.

Another standout is, of course, Pasi Koskinen, who is not a technical singer; he might not even have a proper range, but the color of his voice is just beautiful. His personality really separated Amorphis from the rest during that period. Finally, I should not forget to mention Santeri Kallio, who moves between the Hammond and dreamy, almost ambient keys so creatively without a single cheesy moment. Beautiful stuff that was only repeated on the follow-up album Am Universum.

The story of Amorphis after the departure of Pasi has been an interesting one. They indeed released a plethora of high-quality albums with the amazing Tomi Joutsen, but their sound was stripped down of the rich layers and textures. Their production also agreed more with conventional metal aesthetics. Sonically, they stopped evolving. Who knows, maybe they figured out that meritocracy does not exist while safe albums are of low risk and high reward.

So when I saw Amorphis live in 2023, it was expected of them to neglect both Tuonela and its sister album Am Universum. Those albums are maybe too complex to reproduce live, or the band has a huge catalog with Tomi to cover anyway. It was an amazing show nonetheless that showcased the professionalism, talent, and uniqueness of this band.

Still, Amorphis deserves more.

Tuonela deserves more love.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by ForestsAlive | 16.07.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
James Woods
Rating:
After Amorphis' last outing that being Elegy back in 1996 if you're expecting an album of the same nature well some may be disappointed where others will revel in Amorphis' new found direction in metal. Almost completely gone are the harsh vocals of the old days and also the guitar and keyboard sounds are different now also. The most notable thing about the new found way but, is how damn good Pasi Koskinen's vocals sound on this album. Vocals are all clean now and are very easy to get into.

Read more ››
published 26.01.2005 | Comments (5)

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 57 users
16.07.2024 - 14:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
To strong words for their downfall and worst albums To me all Tuonela, Am Universum and Far From The Sun are their worst. Band was gooner, glad they found Tomi Joutsen what save this band. Their first 2 plus My Kantele was brilliant masterpiece, then Tomi saved the band, and they are bigger big band, good band.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.07.2024 - 18:11
Rating: 7
musclassia
Staff
Written by Bad English on 16.07.2024 at 14:39

To strong words for their downfall and worst albums To me all Tuonela, Am Universum and Far From The Sun are their worst. Band was gooner, glad they found Tomi Joutsen what save this band. Their first 2 plus My Kantele was brilliant masterpiece, then Tomi saved the band, and they are bigger big band, good band.

Pretty much where I am at; I think Tuonela is easily the best of the three post-Elegy albums, but I just find all of them to be too inconsistent on a song-to-song level. While I don't agree with the review that this album is the standout Esa Holopainen performance, I do agree that he is the standout performer on this album
16.07.2024 - 19:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by musclassia on 16.07.2024 at 18:11

Pretty much where I am at; I think Tuonela is easily the best of the three post-Elegy albums, but I just find all of them to be too inconsistent on a song-to-song level. While I don't agree with the review that this album is the standout Esa Holopainen performance, I do agree that he is the standout performer on this album

I have to agree that last 3 sounds a bit simmilar, but maybe I need listen it, last time I did was few years ago, never get into those what I mentioned.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.07.2024 - 21:22
Rating: 9
ForestsAlive

Far From The Sun was indeed a bad album. But for the rest I have to disagree. Quite cool that this band has all these different eras and sounds though that people enjoy.
23.07.2024 - 19:25
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Excellent review, ForestsAlive. You summarized pretty much what I feel about Amorphis, but I do have reservation comparing with glamorous bands, except Anthrax. It's totally unfair. Amorphis has always focused solely on brilliant compositions(look at the discography).
25.07.2024 - 16:17
Rating: 9
ForestsAlive
Thank you!

Hits total: 549 | This month: 10