Metal Storm logo
Esoteric

09.09.2008 - 01:39
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
In light of their recent output: 'The Maniacal Vale' I thought it necessary to make a thread for the English Doomsters.

'The Maniacal Vale' will undoubtedly find its way to the top of many people's favourite albums of '08 (most likely mine included) but in all honestly I think it goes beyond that. I daresay it's become the representative Funeral Doom album altogether; it's pretty much perfect in every respect. Lasting an hour and 40 minutes one would think they'd become bored of it when in fact every second will seem as brilliant as the last, the track 'Caucus of Mind' being an interesting break from the doom being almost pure death metal (and fine death metal it is too). The entire album is both heart-achingly depressing and gloriously uplifting if that's not an oxymoron. Ah, I love how the UK is still killing the rest of the world where doom is concerned.

'Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum' is pretty special too, that's all I've heard of their stuff but I'm guessing it's all quality.
09.09.2008 - 01:48
Southern Wind
Account deleted
They're the best doom metal band nowadays, simple as that. There are thousands of bands trying to sound diabolic but you can count with your fingers those who actually do, and Esoteric are among them. Unfortunately I hadn't dedicated enough time yet to "The Maniacal Vale", but I worship their previous stuff. On the other hand, it's hard nowadays to talk about originality in metal but Esoteric are actually very unique, there aren't other bands sounding like them in the scene. Darkspace tried and failed miserably.

EDIT: Besides Esoteric I really admire Indesinence and Moss, but apart from that I hadn't listened to UK extreme doom bands lately... what else should I check?
09.09.2008 - 01:58
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5080] on 09.09.2008 at 01:48

They're the best doom metal band nowadays, simple as that. There are thousands of bands trying to sound diabolic but you can count with your fingers those who actually do, and Esoteric are among them. Unfortunately I hadn't dedicated enough time yet to "The Maniacal Vale", but I worship their previous stuff. On the other hand, it's hard nowadays to talk about originality in metal but Esoteric are actually very unique, there aren't other bands sounding like them in the scene. Darkspace tried and failed miserably.

EDIT: Besides Esoteric I really admire Indesinence and Moss, but apart from that I hadn't listened to UK extreme doom bands lately... what else should I check?

Ah yeah, I had the pleasure of seeing Indesinence a while back, boy was that a good show! Crushing. Everyone in the crowd was like: "Who are you? No, really?" which is pretty good seeing as it was an Akercocke gig. Went straight home and downloaded 'Noctambulism'. Moss are pretty good too though I prefer Hyatari at the moment.

Heh, what's wrong with Darkspace? I think they're pretty good. May not be Paysage d'Hiver but they have a great sound (actually I prefer Darkspace). Was gonna do a thread on them actually but never got round to it.

As for other stuff to check out I STRONGLY recommend TenHornedBeast and his release 'The Sacred Truth' quite fantastic though many would say it's more ambient/drone than just plain drone. Still very much worth looking into though. That aside, Mourning Beloveth's 'A Disease for the Ages' was another yeah highlight for me. Excellent stuff. Last but not least would be Atavist's 'II: Points At Infinity', for some superior sludgey drone.
09.09.2008 - 06:27
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by [user id=4365] on 09.09.2008 at 01:58

Ah yeah, I had the pleasure of seeing Indesinence a while back, boy was that a good show! Crushing. Everyone in the crowd was like: "Who are you? No, really?" which is pretty good seeing as it was an Akercocke gig. Went straight home and downloaded 'Noctambulism'. Moss are pretty good too though I prefer Hyatari at the moment.

Heh, what's wrong with Darkspace? I think they're pretty good. May not be Paysage d'Hiver but they have a great sound (actually I prefer Darkspace). Was gonna do a thread on them actually but never got round to it.

As for other stuff to check out I STRONGLY recommend TenHornedBeast and his release 'The Sacred Truth' quite fantastic though many would say it's more ambient/drone than just plain drone. Still very much worth looking into though. That aside, Mourning Beloveth's 'A Disease for the Ages' was another yeah highlight for me. Excellent stuff. Last but not least would be Atavist's 'II: Points At Infinity', for some superior sludgey drone.

I'll check THB and Atavist... of course I know Mourning Beloveth, but I had never thought of Ireland as belonging to the UK... I'm not really fond of A Disease For The Ages though, I like much more their previous stuff especially A Sullen Sulcus.
09.09.2008 - 10:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
One of rear bands what I dont like so much in genre, band music remainds me Sun O))) specely song title, doble CD, and so on, even I like long songs, this band is to weird for me , there's not so many doom bands what I dont like one is Swallow the Cum(Sun), other is this
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.09.2008 - 22:36
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5080] on 09.09.2008 at 06:27

I'll check THB and Atavist... of course I know Mourning Beloveth, but I had never thought of Ireland as belonging to the UK... I'm not really fond of A Disease For The Ages though, I like much more their previous stuff especially A Sullen Sulcus.

Lulz, what is exactly do you consider the UK then?
09.09.2008 - 22:39
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 09.09.2008 at 10:05

One of rear bands what I dont like so much in genre, band music remainds me Sun O))) specely song title, doble CD, and so on, even I like long songs, this band is to weird for me , there's not so many doom bands what I dont like one is Swallow the Cum(Sun), other is this

Ha, you're mad. I never saw this band as particularly weird, there stuff isn't all that different from your average funeral doom band, genre wise anyway. As for the similarities to Sunn I really don't see any personally. I see Sunn as an emotionless, formless alien being, whereas Esoteric I see a human male in the midst of an emotional breakdown.
09.09.2008 - 22:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite

Atavist's 'II: Points At Infinity', for some superior sludgey drone.

Quick sidenote: would you consider "Points At Infinity" better or worse than Atavist's "II: Ruined"? I also need to check out that Tenhornedbeast.

About the Esoteric: The Maniacal Vale rules. I should really start listening to the second part of the album though. But the opening of "Circle" is so heart-breaking, breath-taking beautiful. Incredible.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
09.09.2008 - 23:27
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 09.09.2008 at 22:59

Quick sidenote: would you consider "Points At Infinity" better or worse than Atavist's "II: Ruined"? I also need to check out that Tenhornedbeast.

About the Esoteric: The Maniacal Vale rules. I should really start listening to the second part of the album though. But the opening of "Circle" is so heart-breaking, breath-taking beautiful. Incredible.

'Points at Infinty' is all I've heard I'm afraid, is it particularly different to 'Ruins'? I'll try and make a point of grabbing it and giving you my thoughts some time.
09.09.2008 - 23:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Maniacal Vale is currently by miles my fav album of the year thus far.

A shame though that they can't fit 100 minutes on a single cd, cause this album actually gains a lot of weight and punch when listened to in one sitting without being interrupted for a single second.
This one of the few original cd's I have where I listen to the copy on the hard disk recorder of my surround surround set.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.09.2008 - 23:46
Damnated
Churchburner

band music remainds me Sun O))) specely song title, doble CD, and so on

they remind me of the Beatles because they use guitars. and release albums.

somehow i missed out on Esoteric tbh. i know of them ever since i began searching for funeral doom, but somehow never checked them out, until they released their last album.
and it's definitely my loss, because not only their 2008 effort is one of the best albums of this year, but their sound seems really different to me for some reason, it really appeals to me.

so i'll be checking more of this out, any recommendations are welcome.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
10.09.2008 - 00:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 09.09.2008 at 23:46

band music remainds me Sun O))) specely song title, doble CD, and so on

they remind me of the Beatles because they use guitars. and release albums.

somehow i missed out on Esoteric tbh. i know of them ever since i began searching for funeral doom, but somehow never checked them out, until they released their last album.
and it's definitely my loss, because not only their 2008 effort is one of the best albums of this year, but their sound seems really different to me for some reason, it really appeals to me.

so i'll be checking more of this out, any recommendations are welcome.

Maybe the sound seems really different to you cause their guitar work is way more psychedelic than that of other funeral doom bands. It took me ages to put my finger on the reason why they also seemed really different to me and then Jups mentioned that their psychedelicness was what drew him really towards the band. That's when the when I realised that that was exavtly the reason.

As for any recommendations... that is simple: their ENTIRE discography is definitely worth checking out.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2008 - 00:24
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2008 at 00:05

Maybe the sound seems really different to you cause their guitar work is way more psychedelic than that of other funeral doom bands. It took me ages to put my finger on the reason why they also seemed really different to me and then Jups mentioned that their psychedelicness was what drew him really towards the band. That's when the when I realised that that was exavtly the reason.

As for any recommendations... that is simple: their ENTIRE discography is definitely worth checking out.

yes, i noticed they have a pscychedelic approach on the maniacal vale. wasn't sure that they've been doing this for a while.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
10.09.2008 - 01:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 09.09.2008 at 22:36

Actually Southern Wind is totally correct. The Republic of Ireland is not a part of the UK. The United Kingdom is a union of four constituent countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
If were you I would never ever say to someone from the Republic of Ireland that he is from the UK
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2008 - 05:46
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 09.09.2008 at 22:59

Hey, how could you quote me for something I never said?
10.09.2008 - 10:44
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Lol whoops to both
25.12.2009 - 07:38
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Esoteric is awesome, and crushing. One of the best moments was the other day, driving at dusk, in a snowstorm with the snow blowing all over the road and an eerie haze hanging in the air, and Esoteric came on the I-pod. What an atmosphere it was. "The Maniacal Vale" is definitely my favourite album and indeed one of the best doom metal albums released ever.
07.01.2010 - 13:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
It's been a while since Esoteric's The Maniacal Vale was released and I now finally feel comfortable enough to call it my all-time favourite album ever. It has surpassed the best releases of Shining, The Angelic Process, Corrupted and Hjarnidaudi, in my opinion.

They have annouced a new album. I'm curious to hear what they're capable of. I won't it against them if they do not top The Maniacal Vale, but if they do happen to release an album better than that... I'm going to die. I don't want to sound like the typical fanboi here, but The Maniacal Vale is just... beyond words.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
07.01.2010 - 14:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 07.01.2010 at 13:44

but if they do happen to release an album better than that... I'm going to die. I don't want to sound like the typical fanboi here, but The Maniacal Vale is just... beyond words.

I don't think I will die... But I would probably feel like they completely destroyed metal or even music itself for me... Because it will be impossible to listen to something better.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.01.2010 - 13:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
For the longest time I couldn't listen to any Esoteric album other than The Maniacal Vale. I heard that first and it basically took away all listening pleasure from the earlier albums, because all I could hear when playing Metamorphogenesis or Subconscious... was "damn they perfected this on the Vale...".

I'm now starting to get into their other albums though, starting with The Pernicious Enigma. It has all the trademark Esoteric ingredients, but it is something different nonetheless. Very nihilistic stuff.

The sample in the second or third track is brilliant:

I'm in the dark here! You understand? I'm IN THE DARK HERE!
----

27.01.2010 - 13:35
InnerSelf
proofread free
The Maniacal Vail was also the first album I have heard from Esoteric , and it took me a WHILE until i got into it and now it is actually very easy to listen the other albums they have made.
Right now I am stuck to Metamorphogenesis and I can't seem to listen to anything else but this brilliant album
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
28.01.2010 - 00:43
kesh
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2008 at 01:57

Written by [user id=4365] on 09.09.2008 at 22:36

Actually Southern Wind is totally correct. The Republic of Ireland is not a part of the UK. The United Kingdom is a union of four constituent countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
If were you I would never ever say to someone from the Republic of Ireland that he is from the UK

Abit rich, coming from the land of William of Orange. Lutheran started the whole 'Troubles' ball rolling, then onto nationalism and now.. and don't even think Catholics know.
28.01.2010 - 00:55
kesh
Account deleted
Esoteric though, there special. By far my fsvourite band.
28.01.2010 - 05:50
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Lucas on 27.01.2010 at 13:05

The Pernicious Enigma

So would you say this is a good place to start one their non-MV material? I've heard songs from others, but not another full length.
----
The force will be with you, always.
28.01.2010 - 18:16
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 28.01.2010 at 05:50

Written by Lucas on 27.01.2010 at 13:05

The Pernicious Enigma

So would you say this is a good place to start one their non-MV material? I've heard songs from others, but not another full length.

Yes. I must admit I'm not too familiar with their third album Metamorphogenesis, but there seem to have been two eras of Esoteric. One were they played really hateful, ugly and Death metal-influenced Funeral Doom (as seen on the first two), and one were they play more elaborate, 'beautiful' (relatively) and psychedelic Funeral Doom (Maniacal Vale and to a lesser extent the fourth album).

Definitely go for The Pernicious Enigma.
----

28.01.2010 - 20:16
kesh
Account deleted
I'd start with there most extreme and experimental album Metamorphogenesis and work backwards to The Pernicious Enigma, then Epistemological Despondency. Then the latest two albums after that, were much of the band members changed from.
26.03.2010 - 16:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Esoteric live tonight. Total Soul Annihilation: impending! Wooh.
----

26.03.2010 - 16:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lucas on 26.03.2010 at 16:35

Esoteric live tonight. Total Soul Annihilation: impending! Wooh.

Okay, a warning beforehand, mister. You'd better not die of delight. Else people will staring at me thinking I killed you
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2010 - 17:03
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
It's Esoteric, man, live! I can't make any promises.
----

26.03.2010 - 17:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lucas on 26.03.2010 at 17:03

It's Esoteric, man, live! I can't make any promises.

Well, you sruvived the last time you saw them. And you where so up close at the time you could almost fondle them
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996