Metal Storm logo
Favorite guitar solo

20.08.2006 - 19:25
Bitch Boy
This isn't about the best guitar solo, but your favorite one, and explain why it's your fav.

Mine is the one of Fatal Tragedy (Dream Theater). It may not be Petrucci's best, but I love it because it begins quite powerful, then he plays some sort of different "extracts", and finally that amazing progression until the end of the song.
20.08.2006 - 19:43
Stigmatized
Well....

Behemoth- Conquer All- Probably the best solo they've wrote IMO. Fits the song so well and sounds so damn cool

Necrophagist-Fermented Offal Discharge- Quite possible my favorite guitar solo ever. Blows me away everytime I hear it. One of the most impressive displays of musicianship I've ever heard.

Norther-Of Darkness and Light- Another one that fits the song really well. This is kind of an emotional solo, which I like. Excellent playing by both guitarists.

Rhapsody Of Fire-Unholy Warcry- Some impressive work by Turilli. It's fast and catchy as hell. You got to listen to the full version though.

Dragonforce- Through the Fire and Flames- I'm addicted to this song and it's partly due to the solo. Sure, it's just "a bunch of random notes thrown together and played really fast", but it rocks. Maybe the fastest solo I've ever heard.

Equilibrium-Der Sturm- Another mind-blowing solo. It can be hard to hear at times, but it still rules. This was my favorite solo for a while and really helped get me into Equilibrium.

If I think of more I'll post them...
20.08.2006 - 19:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder: Catchy as hell, always chocking me!
----
21.08.2006 - 02:10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
My favorite is Angel of Death by Slayer. It's really long and fast and I like how Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman duel. This is my all-time favorite metal song mostly because of the guitars.
21.08.2006 - 02:37
heresiarch
Forever Dead
One of my favs is Metallica: second solo of Nothing Else Matters excellent blues effect
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
21.08.2006 - 03:16
Stigmatized
I forgot Everything Invaded by Moonspell, this is one crazy solo. Really adds to the overall atmosphere of the song. Some impressive playing too.
21.08.2006 - 04:38
Mega-Slayer
Damn so many magnificent solos,but among the best are Millie Petrozza's on "Pleasure To Kill".When I first heard "Riot Of Violence" I couldn't get enough of the first solo he lays down,its fast as hell.Another solo I cant get enough of is the Millie's solo at the very beginning of "Pestilence",its very short yet catchy and affective.I really like the solos in "Hell Awaits" they are fucking haunting,and then there is the very fast solos on "Criminally Insane",unbelievable.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
21.08.2006 - 04:42
Mega-Slayer
Written by Bitch Boy on 20.08.2006 at 19:25

This isn't about the best guitar solo, but your favorite one, and explain why it's your fav.

Mine is the one of Fatal Tragedy (Dream Theater). It may not be Petrucci's best, but I love it because it begins quite powerful, then he plays some sort of different "extracts", and finally that amazing progression until the end of the song.

I was just listening to Scenes From A Memory a bit ago,and your right its a neat solo.His solo at the end of "Home" is quite amazing.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
21.08.2006 - 05:18
Daru Jericho
So many solos. So little time to think of my favourite so I'll post one awesome awesome awesome one that comes to mind:

Megadeth ~ Hangar 18

This solo takes up like half of the song but it's length is great. There are some slow bits and speady bits, typical thrash metal sounding solo and a classic one. I'm sure it's an instigator or something. It fits the drumming well too, rather than being a solo that only fights for your attention with little or no regard to the rest of the music.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

21.08.2006 - 05:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Daru Jericho on 21.08.2006 at 05:18

So many solos. So little time to think of my favourite so I'll post one awesome awesome awesome one that comes to mind:

Megadeth ~ Hangar 18

This solo takes up like half of the song but it's length is great. There are some slow bits and speady bits, typical thrash metal sounding solo and a classic one. I'm sure it's an instigator or something. It fits the drumming well too, rather than being a solo that only fights for your attention with little or no regard to the rest of the music.

My second favorite.
21.08.2006 - 22:14
Damnated
Churchburner
I missed this thread, oh well, let's see. I'm just mad about psihedelic like solos, fro example Porcupine Tree's in Arriwing Somewhere, But Not Here, or in The SKy Moves Sideways, Pt. I. Also Opeth's in Windowpane and Hours Of Wealth. Also I like the solos of Peste Noire, all of them from their 2006 album.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.08.2006 - 23:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Stigmatized on 20.08.2006 at 19:43

Well....

Behemoth- Conquer All- Probably the best solo they've wrote IMO. Fits the song so well and sounds so damn cool

Necrophagist-Fermented Offal Discharge- Quite possible my favorite guitar solo ever. Blows me away everytime I hear it. One of the most impressive displays of musicianship I've ever heard.

Norther-Of Darkness and Light- Another one that fits the song really well. This is kind of an emotional solo, which I like. Excellent playing by both guitarists.

Rhapsody Of Fire-Unholy Warcry- Some impressive work by Turilli. It's fast and catchy as hell. You got to listen to the full version though.

Dragonforce- Through the Fire and Flames- I'm addicted to this song and it's partly due to the solo. Sure, it's just "a bunch of random notes thrown together and played really fast", but it rocks. Maybe the fastest solo I've ever heard.

Equilibrium-Der Sturm- Another mind-blowing solo. It can be hard to hear at times, but it still rules. This was my favorite solo for a while and really helped get me into Equilibrium.

dude, did you forget your favorite band, Nile? Cast Down the Heretic!!!
21.08.2006 - 23:55
Ibanez07
Account deleted

Well....

I think the video to that Dragonforce solo makes it like...3,000 times cooler.

As for myself, either
Darkest Hour - Tranquil
Soilwork - Rejection Role
Unearth - Zombie Autopilot
Dark Tranquillity - Dry Run or Mind Matters

None for just going crazy...but for structure, progression, etc.
22.08.2006 - 00:17
Endoftherainbow
In Flames - Satellites and Astronauts
Such a great melodic solo and it's really catchy and I swear to god I've heard a similar riff somewhere in classical song that sounds exactly like this solo but I can't remember where it's from.

Nevermore - The Heart Collector
I like all of Jeff Loomis' solos but this one has always stuck out in my mind it fits the song so well and it's also really catchy.

Quo Vadis - Silence Calls the Storm
This may not be the most complex solo ever but it's a pretty unique solo that sounds really cool.

Cynic - Veil of Maya
Another one of my favorite solo's it's pretty wierd and I don't really feel like explaining any more solo's so this is going to be my last one even though I have way more.
22.08.2006 - 00:38
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Into Battle Ensiferum
A great solo of guitar and is amazing the way they play and it become very powerful for the song itself.

Charm of the seer Ayreon
Well this is my favorite when i'm sad

Princess of the night At Vance
Olaf lenk's solos are great and this rules!
22.08.2006 - 02:08
heresiarch
Forever Dead
My alltime favs are . Deep Purple : Child In Time totally huge solo ,I've tried to play this solo for 20 years now and still going wrong
Rainbow : A light in the black . Damn what a solo
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
22.08.2006 - 17:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Megadeth-tornado of souls=superb solo.just won't get out of your head.also,hangar 18-so fucking technical.from the moment i first listened to the song it remained in my mind as a superb solo
guns n roses-sweet child of mine-it's simply TOO CATCHY...i could hate it for that,but i love it.it's really good.also but not that catchy november rain,,and it's got such a warm feeling,it relaxes me...
Nightwish-sleeping sun.it's superb,and also extremely relaxing
rhapsody of fire-emerald sword=brilliant neoclassical feeling in the intro solo,and everything works so fine
22.08.2006 - 19:17
Stigmatized
Written by Dangerboner on 21.08.2006 at 23:32

Well....

dude, did you forget your favorite band, Nile? Cast Down the Heretic!!!

OH SHIT!!!! What the hell?!?!?! How could I? Yes, Cast Down the Heretic has an amazing solo. Fuck....
22.08.2006 - 20:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
Emppu Vuorinens solo in Nightwish's "Creek Mary's Blood" is awesome, slow and beautiful ... gotta love it!
----
24.08.2006 - 17:45
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Slayer- Angel Of Death- really amazing, duelling solos at the end of this song, absolutley jaw dropping

Megadeth- Tornado Of Souls- one of the most famous solos ever and for good reason

Testament- Practice What You Preach- I can't believe that no one has mentioned Testament yet. Anyways, this is my favorite from Skolnick.

Nile- Unas Slayer Of The Gods, Cast Down The Heretic- Really cool solos.
24.08.2006 - 18:01
Sunioj
Burning Angel by Arch Enemy, Rapture by Morbid Angel , Skinfather - Dismember..
26.08.2006 - 23:35
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Rhapsody - Unholy Warcry

of course this isn't the most talented guitar solo ever, but like the maker of this thread said it's not about the best but about my favourite

it's fast and it's extremely catchy, at times i catch myself singing that solo, haha
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
27.08.2006 - 13:49
genocide
Account deleted
This was a tough one but I finally decided that Iron Maidens Hallowed Be Thy Name is in atleast my top ten. It might not be the most technical but I think it conveys alot of emotion and really helps draw the listener into the song. For technical solos there is no mistaking anything that Dragonforce has done, but I especially like the dual in the Ground And Pound video, that was amazing and everyone knows it. Dont kid yourselves Dragonforce are the best when it comes to technical guitar work. (By the way Dream of Hate, nothing about Dragonforce is a bunch of notes thrown together... I assure you alot of thought goes into what is played so that it ends up sounding right. If they just threw notes in randomly you would hear it because a single wrong note would stand out painfully in the song, but all that is played comes together well)
27.08.2006 - 15:31
Sunioj
I must say the solo from cast down the heretic is pretty long, but its pretty good.
30.08.2006 - 15:14
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
Written by Endoftherainbow on 22.08.2006 at 00:17

In Flames - Satellites and Astronauts
Such a great melodic solo and it's really catchy and I swear to god I've heard a similar riff somewhere in classical song that sounds exactly like this solo but I can't remember where it's from.

Nevermore - The Heart Collector
I like all of Jeff Loomis' solos but this one has always stuck out in my mind it fits the song so well and it's also really catchy.

Quo Vadis - Silence Calls the Storm
This may not be the most complex solo ever but it's a pretty unique solo that sounds really cool.

Cynic - Veil of Maya
Another one of my favorite solo's it's pretty wierd and I don't really feel like explaining any more solo's so this is going to be my last one even though I have way more.

I agree with all of those Endoftherainbow...

And I might also say that Arch Enemy's "The Immortal" is good, memorable and has always been one of my favourites since I heard it, rather than growing on me... Sure, it may not be the best, but it's definitely one of my favourites regardless of that...
01.09.2006 - 22:28
DIE_by_my_HAND
Money - Pink Floyd
Probably my favorite because it suites the song and mood soooo well and it just rules..
Cemetary Gates - Pantera
So much emotion, it gets me every time. Has some slow and fast parts which makes it well balanced.
The Air is Getting Slippery - Primus
I know this is supposed to be guitar solos, but this one is a banjo... where can you go wrong with a banjo?
Break The Cycle - Quo Vadis
I like this one because it's not a typical metal solo, it has different influences like jazz...

And one that I don't think anyone has mentioned...
Stariway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Need I say more?

there are many more but.. limited memory.
----
And music: well it's just entertainment folks!!
-Devin Townsend
02.09.2006 - 00:14
Dam3k
Blind Guardian - Welcome to diying!! OMFG!!! Badass
----

02.09.2006 - 01:37
DeadlySinner
Account deleted
Lake Bodom....unchallenged
it so kicks ass,it's totally unbelievable
02.09.2006 - 08:42
ironman2002
Deep Purple - Highway Star (explain? it's blackmore's classic!)

Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley
These two are just pair of the greatest heavy metal solos (in neoclassical metal they are definitely the best).

Iron Maiden - Aces High (strong solo for a strong, power song. fit 100%.)

Metallica - Enter Sandman (don't know why. damn. it's just an amazing solo.)

Children Of Bodom - Downfall (for those who didn't listen -> get it now!)
05.09.2006 - 01:30
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Pantera - Cemetery Gates (brilliant, emotional)
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram