Metal Storm logo
Song Title Drop – Lyrics That Refer To The Title Of Another Song

Thumbs up: +2
This is an alphabetical list of bands that have recorded songs with lyrics that cite the title of another song from their own discography. These cited song titles may belong to the same album or to a different release by this band.

Please feel free to suggest more examples of bands that mention the title of one or more of their own songs in the lyrics of another song.

[Updated 20.09.2024]

Created by: Plattner | 02.09.2024

1. Amon Amarth - The Avenger
The song METALWRATH cites all 8 songs from the previous album (Once Sent From The Golden Hall). This includes song titles that are cited in full: RIDE FOR VENGEANCE ("See us ride for vengeance"), FRIENDS OF THE SUNCROSS ("Friends of the suncross"), AMON AMARTH ("See us ride down / The Amon Amarth"), ABANDONED ("Abandoned by your god") and WITHOUT FEAR ("We charge without fear"). In this context it is also clear that lines containing only parts of the titles indeed do refer to the songs: THE DRAGONS' FLIGHT ACROSS THE WAVES ("Our dragon's fly / Across the waves"), VICTORIOUS MARCH ("In victory we ride"), ONCE SENT FROM THE GOLDEN HALL ("Now we return to Oden's hall").
2. Avenged Sevenfold - Life Is But A Dream...
The song GAME OVER cites ("Can't you see? / Life is but a dream anyway") the title of the instrumental LIFE IS BUT A DREAM… from the same album.
3. Axel Rudi Pell - Oceans Of Time
The song THE GATES OF THE SEVEN SEALS cites 3 song titles, including BETWEEN THE WALLS (album: Between The Walls), BLACK MOON PYRAMID (album: Black Moon Pyramid) and MAGIC (album: Magic).
4. Ayreon - The Universal Migrator Part II: Flight Of The Migrator
The song CHAOS cites the song THE DREAM SEQUENCER (album: The Universal Migrator Part I: The Dream Sequencer): "I am the last human being alive. / I am inside a machine called the Dream Sequencer on the deserted Mars colony. / I have selected the program called Universal Migrator". Moreover, this song is also cited in THE SOLAR SYSTEM: "Dream Sequencer system alert warning - core processor buffer overload / Please abort Universal Migrator sequence".
5. Blind Guardian - Tales From The Twilight World
The song THE LAST CANDLE cites the song GUARDIAN OF THE BLIND (album: Battalions Of Fear): "Guardian, guardian, guardian of the blind / Have you forgotten him?"
6. Dream Theater - Images And Words
The song METROPOLIS - PART I "THE MIRACLE AND THE SLEEPER" contains lyrics that were later used as titles for the sequel album (Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory): The sequel album title ("Somewhere like a scene from a memory / There's a picture worth a thousand words”) and the instrumental title THE DANCE OF ETERNITY ("Now the miracle and the sleeper know that the third is love / Love is the dance of eternity") can be found in the lyrics of this song.
7. Edge Of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows
The song DARKDAY cites ("Now the sorrow spectrum grows / And the world will stay unsaved") the instrumental THE SPECTRAL SORROWS from the same album.
8. Entombed - Clandestine
The song CHAOS BREED cites the song LEFT HAND PATH (album: Left Hand Path): "Manifest of the left hand path / Inquisitions creations torments lost souls / The horrors of the grapes of wrath."
9. Five Finger Death Punch - American Capitalist
The song AMERICAN CAPITALIST cites 2 song titles, including WAR IS THE ANSWER ("Yeah war is the answer / Like I told you before / You're a coward” - album: War Is The Answer) and THE WAY OF THE FIST ("Stop running your lips / Round three / No mercy / It's the way of the fist" - album: The Way Of The Fist).
10. Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
The song 1996 cites ("Here's your antichrist superstar") the song ANTICHRIST SUPERSTAR (which does not contain the title as line in its lyrics) from same album.
11. Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals
The untitled secret track cites ("From the top of Hollywood it looked like space / Millions of capsules and mechanical animals / A city filled with dead stars and a girl I called Coma White") the songs MECHANICAL ANIMALS and COMA WHITE (both do not contain their titles as line in their lyrics) from same album.
12. Marilyn Manson - Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death)
The song VALENTINE`S DAY cites ("In the shadow of the Valley of Death / Slit our wrists and send us to heaven") the song IN THE SHADOW OF THE VALLEY OF DEATH (which does not contain the title as line in its lyrics) from same album.
13. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
The song THE CZAR cites ("Spiraling up through the crack in the sky / Leaving material world behind") the song CRACK THE SKYE (which does not contain the title as line in its lyrics) from same album.
14. Megadeth - Youthanasia
The song VICTORY cites 23 song titles, including KILLING IS MY BUSINESS…AND BUISNESS IS GOOD, LOOKING DOWN THE CROSS, SKULL BENEATH THE SKIN, LAST RITES/LOVED TO DEATH (album: Killing Is My Business…And Business Is Good!), BAD OMENS, GOOD MOURNING/BLACK FRIDAY, WAKE UP DEAD, I AIN`T SUPERSTITIOUS, THE CONJURING, PEACE SELLS (album: Peace Sells…But Who`s Buying?), ANARCHY IN THE U.K., SET THE WORLD AFIRE, HOOK IN MOUTH, IN MY DARKEST HOUR (album: So Far, So Good…S0 What?), HOLY WARS…THE PUNISHMENT DUE, TORNADO OF SOULS, RUST IN PEACE…POLARIS, HANGAR 18, LUCRETIA (album: Rust In Peace), SKIN O` MY TEETH, THIS WAS MY LIFE, COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION and FORECLOSURE OF MY DREAMS (album: Countdown To Extinction).
15. Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death
The song SCARS cites ("Touching your soul with a pure emptiness / See the spectrum of death in his eyes") the instrumental SPECTRUM OF DEATH from the same album.
16. Nevermore - Nevermore
The song GARDEN OF GREY contains the lyrics "I want to feel your flesh enrapture me / And live the politics of ecstasy.", which were later used as title for the title track THE POLITICS OF ECSTASY (album: The Politics Of Ecstasy).
17. Nightwish - Century Child
The song END OF ALL HOPE cites the song ANGELS FALL FIRST (album: Angels Fall First): "Angels, they fell first but I'm still here."
18. Nightwish - Imaginaerum
The song STORYTIME cites ("Imaginarium, a dream emporium") the instrumental IMAGINAERUM from the same album.
19. Nightwish - Yesterwynde
The song LANTERNLIGHT cites ("Into the forest of Yesterwynde") the song YESTERWYNDE (which does not contain the title as line in its lyrics) from the same album.
20. Rhapsody - Power Of The Dragonflame
The song GARGOYLES, ANGELS OF DARKNESS cites 5 song titles, including LEGENDARY TALES (album: Legendary Tales), SYMPHONY OF ENCHANTED LANDS (album: Symphony Of Enchanted Lands), DAWN OF VICTORY (album: Dawn Of Victory), RAIN OF A THOUSAND FLAMES (album: Rain Of A Thousand Flames) and also POWER OF THE DRAGONFLAME from this album.
21. Scorpions - Fly To The Rainbow
The song FLY PEOPLE FLY cites ("All together, fly to the sky, fly to the rainbow, fly people fly") the song FLY TO THE RAINBOW (which does not contain the title as line in its lyrics) from same album.
22. Sieges Even - The Art Of Navigating By The Stars
The song SEQUENCE III: UNBREAKABLE cites ("There's no safe harbour in our sight / Still we are, still we are, / Navigating, we're navigating by the stars") the instrumental INTRO: NAVIGATING BY THE STARS from the same album.
23. Sirenia - At Sixes And Sevens
The song MERIDIAN cites ("I'm at sixes and sevens / In the shade of thy heavens / No moon, nor sun / Meridian / Prevail in my oblivion") the song AT SIXES AND SEVENS (which does not contain the title as line in its lyrics) from same album.
24. Theatre Of Tragedy - Velvet Darkness They Fear
The song BRING FORTH YE SHADOW cites ("The oh so eathing velvet darkness they fear - / Heed! - wherefore delve a burrow, / When in my arms "O! Come here"?") the instrumental VELVET DARKNESS THEY FEAR from the same album.
25. Watain - Lawless Darkness
The song FOUR THRONES cites ("Majesties of lawless darkness / In our hearts thy thrones prepared / Storm and water, earth and flame") the instrumental LAWLESS DARKNESS from the same album.
26. Xandria - The Wonders Still Awaiting
The song TWO WORLDS cites ("And forever on this journey / We were close to the wonders still awaiting us / And forever in this universe / We can only live in one of two worlds") the song THE WONDERS STILL AWAITING (which does not contain the title as line in its lyrics) from same album.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Plattner ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 4   Visited by: 8 users
02.09.2024 - 08:13
Plattner
This is an alphabetical list of bands that have recorded songs with lyrics that cite the title of another song from their own discography. These cited song titles may belong to the same album or to a different release by this band.

Please feel free to suggest more examples of bands that mention the title of one or more of their own songs in the lyrics of another song.
02.09.2024 - 16:51
Plattner
The example Nevermore: "Politics Of Ecstasy" (title mentioned in "Garden Of Grey" from the album "Nevermore") was found by ZAP (and suggested in the comments of the "Misplaced & Hidden: Album Titles That Relate To Lyrics Of A Song From Another Album" list).
02.09.2024 - 17:10
Plattner
The example Sirenia: "The Sixes And The Sevens" (title mentioned in "Meridian" from the same album) as well as the Theatre Of Tragedy: "Velvet Darkness They Fear" (title mentioned in "Bring Forth Ye Shadow" from the same album) were found by DRAUGEN (and suggested in the comments of the "Hidden Title Tracks – Album Titles That Come From A Song`s Lyrics" list).
08.09.2024 - 00:23
Plattner
Overview: In case you are wondering about the correlation of certain lyrics with song titles, title tracks or album names, you can have a look at the following lists:

"Song Title Drop – Lyrics That Refer To The Title Of Another Song" (this list):
The song lyrics contain the title of another song of the same band. The song that is referred to can be a regular track or a title track and it can be on the same or another album of the band.

“Misplaced & Hidden: Album Titles That Relate To Lyrics Of A Song From Another Album”:
The song lyrics contain the title of another album of the same band. The album that is referred to has no title track itself.

“Hidden Title Tracks – Album Titles That Come From A Song`s Lyrics”:
The song lyrics contain the title of the album that the song is part of. The album does not have a title track.

“Misplaced Title Tracks - Songs That Are Not On The Album They Title”:
The album does not contain a title track. Instead, a song with the same name as the album title can be found on another release of the same band.

Hits total: 139 | This month: 139