Metal Storm logo
Ensiferum

Original post

Posted by Stigmatized, 18.05.2006 - 03:59
Here is the new topic for the new forum. The DVD is due out in June and the new album is supposedly set for a February 2007 release. Enjoy!
11.10.2009 - 14:19
Lord_Regnier
I will never like Ensiferum as long as Lindroos will be the vocalist. This guy fucking sucks, imo.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
11.10.2009 - 14:28
vapotrini
Sad but true... all my friend's that aren't into heavier stuff say the same thing whenever I play the latest Ensiferum... "Fuck!!!!!! The music is GREAT but I don't like the singing at all."

Their music is improving noticeably it has to be said, imo. Fucking Yari though... "for me" their first 2 albums had them on course to be possibly amongst the greatest ever.
11.10.2009 - 14:36
Lord_Regnier
Written by vapotrini on 11.10.2009 at 14:28

Sad but true... all my friend's that aren't into heavier stuff say the same thing whenever I play the latest Ensiferum... "Fuck!!!!!! The music is GREAT but I don't like the singing at all."

Their music is improving noticeably it has to be said, imo. Fucking Yari... they were on course to be amongst the greatest ever, "for me".

I'm into heavier stuff myself (Black Metal). Problem I have with Lindroos's vocals is not that they're too aggressive for me. Problem is they suck, imo. Here's a comment I posted on another forum on this matter:

"I'll tell you why I dislike Lindroos so much. He sounds like someone who's trying to perform harsh vocals but lacks both the power and harshness, so he ends up sounding pathetic. It's not even harsh vocals, imo, but semi-harsh vocals. Perhaps it sounds harsh for people who are used to Powermetal but if you're used to Black Metal it doesn't sound harsh."
----
11.10.2009 - 14:52
vapotrini
Written by Lord_Regnier on 11.10.2009 at 14:36

Their music is improving noticeably it has to be said, imo. Fucking Yari... they were on course to be amongst the greatest ever, "for me".

I'm into heavier stuff myself (Black Metal). Problem I have with Lindroos's vocals is not that they're too aggressive for me. Problem is they suck, imo. Here's a comment I posted on another forum on this matter:

"I'll tell you why I dislike Lindroos so much. He sounds like someone who's trying to perform harsh vocals but lacks both the power and harshness, so he ends up sounding pathetic. It's not even harsh vocals, imo, but semi-harsh vocals. Perhaps it sounds harsh for people who are used to Powermetal but if you're used to Black Metal it doesn't sound harsh."

I hear you and I totally agree. His weaknesses are glaring! They'd do wonders with someone else leading... (Admittedly though, he's growing "a little" on me with this album. Although that's probably because I'm enjoying the music THAT much.)

Anyway, good to see someone else close to my age still enjoying this music, most of my idiotic friend's think you're supposed to "outgrow" metal. They often tell me how sorry for me they are........ oh the irony! I'll be 40 next year and will listen to this music til the very end.
11.10.2009 - 15:00
Lord_Regnier
Written by vapotrini on 11.10.2009 at 14:52

Anyway, good to see someone else close to my age still enjoying this music, most of my idiotic friend's think you're supposed to "outgrow" metal. They often tell me how sorry for me they are........ oh the irony! I'll be 40 next year and will listen to this music til the very end.

Lots of people think they're more mature only because they listen to quieter and softer music.
For tons of people, metal is a passing phase. As for me, I think like you. I believe I'll never grow completely tired of metal.
----
11.10.2009 - 15:02
Janne
Hugin

you are right that these vocals are neither harsh nor clean but Ensiferum's music is somewhere between melodic and extreme metal so imo these vocals totally fits to the music.
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
11.10.2009 - 15:08
Lord_Regnier
Written by Janne on 11.10.2009 at 15:02

you are right that these vocals are neither harsh nor clean but Ensiferum's music is somewhere between melodic and extreme metal so imo these vocals totally fits to the music.

In that sense, yes they fit. But are they really enjoyable? That's the real question, imo, and the answer is no as far as I'm concerned.
----
11.10.2009 - 21:59
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Lord_Regnier on 11.10.2009 at 15:08

Written by Janne on 11.10.2009 at 15:02

In that sense, yes they fit. But are they really enjoyable? That's the real question, imo, and the answer is no as far as I'm concerned.

Well heck, who would have thought Lord_Regnier and I would actually agree on something. Lindroos sucked in Norther and now he sucks in Ensiferum and to an extent its worse than him sucking in Norther because I couldnt give 2 shits about them, I did give 2 shits about Ensiferum until he joined though.

Strange that you keep on commenting on bands who you dont like though....its like me going into a thread about Bathory and ripping them to shreds. Luckily we will avoid conflict this time around since we're in agreement.
13.10.2009 - 01:46
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
The old members have really proven themselves that they are competent musicians. Now people can see that Jari wasn't carrying the band.
----
Coldgrits
13.10.2009 - 19:36
Janne
Hugin
Written by -DC-002- on 13.10.2009 at 01:46

The old members have really proven themselves that they are competent musicians. Now people can see that Jari wasn't carrying the band.

i like your avatar it's from the 'El laberinto del fauno' movie, right?
sorry for off
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
18.10.2009 - 07:21
Hexenmeister
Interesting to read the replies in this thread.

I only recently started listening to Ensiferum, and I kept thinking 'Wow, I actually like their first album better than any of the others.'

Guess I'm not the only one.
19.10.2009 - 02:55
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Janne on 13.10.2009 at 19:36

sorry for off

Ya! It's a great movie isn't it?. I know it by the name, Pans Labyrinth.
----
Coldgrits
19.10.2009 - 15:41
Janne
Hugin
Written by -DC-002- on 19.10.2009 at 02:55

Written by Janne on 13.10.2009 at 19:36

sorry for off

Ya! It's a great movie isn't it?. I know it by the name, Pans Labyrinth.

yup that's the english title. great movie!
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
29.11.2009 - 03:41
Zelse
I'm seeing these guys tomorrow. Can't wait.
29.11.2009 - 10:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
From Afar is again wonderful album, no matter how many "original members" are there or not...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.11.2009 - 11:50
Angel Of Mercy
It is totally an awesome album, when's the next one coming?
----
Your time will come.
29.11.2009 - 12:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 29.11.2009 at 11:50

It is totally an awesome album, when's the next one coming?

2011 probably. Most bands release an album every second year...generally speaking.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.11.2009 - 14:32
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
And some bands are speaking about it every second year...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.11.2009 - 15:17
Angel Of Mercy
Ah ok thanks Doc.
----
Your time will come.
21.01.2010 - 13:01
Saw ferum play about two weeks ago and they were pretty feakin epic, so much energy in there nearly flawless performance and also Petri's cocals were pretty good and he really excelled with his vocals on there lasest album "From Afar", though to be honest i still think jari is the superior vocalist but at least petri is doing a pretty decent job..m/..
21.01.2010 - 16:02
Sulac
Ensiferum is one of my favorite bands. I have Iron and Victory Songs. In my opinion, Victory Songs is better than the other, though I suppose that is a, ah, rare sentiment.
29.01.2010 - 07:03
necrovamp
I really wish they had changed their name. Once Jari had left there was one original band member (the bassist) and when they brought in petri it gave another sound, as much as i like the petri version it is inferior to the jari version. They should have changed their name and had a frsh start.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
29.01.2010 - 10:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by necrovamp on 29.01.2010 at 07:03

I really wish they had changed their name. Once Jari had left there was one original band member (the bassist) and when they brought in petri it gave another sound, as much as i like the petri version it is inferior to the jari version. They should have changed their name and had a frsh start.

Wrong. Markus Toivonen (guitars) was the only remaining original member, and from what I can tell he wrote and co-wrote a majority chunk of the songs.
----
- George Carlin
31.01.2010 - 02:03
necrovamp
Written by Doc G. on 29.01.2010 at 10:41

Written by necrovamp on 29.01.2010 at 07:03

Wrong. Markus Toivonen (guitars) was the only remaining original member, and from what I can tell he wrote and co-wrote a majority chunk of the songs.

lol ok i got that bit wrong, he did write a lot of thier stuff but they lost an element in their music when jari left. It sounds 'less blacker and more folky' if you get me, not that they are or were black metal.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
31.01.2010 - 22:31
His Eminence
Account deleted
Written by Irritable Ted on 31.01.2010 at 15:48

Just got Afar, really impressed, good sing along stuff, especially like the instrumentals and choir vocals. Which is the next best album if I like Afar?

You should check out their self-titled debut or Iron next. It's the general consensus that Iron is their best, and their self-titled is killer as well.
01.02.2010 - 20:01
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by [user id=34158] on 31.01.2010 at 22:31

Just got Afar, really impressed, good sing along stuff, especially like the instrumentals and choir vocals. Which is the next best album if I like Afar?

You should check out their self-titled debut or Iron next. It's the general consensus that Iron is their best, and their self-titled is killer as well.

Very much so....Everything one the first two albums were incredibly well written and performed and had real freshness to them. The albums that followed seemed very simplistic and rehashed, and above all written to a specific song structure which is one of the first things that put me off an album. Regardless of Petri Lindroos being one the suckiest and least diverse metal vocalists out there - yelping and spewing his vocals forth rather than doing it in a more likable way.
02.02.2010 - 00:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=1909] on 01.02.2010 at 20:01

Very much so....Everything one the first two albums were incredibly well written and performed and had real freshness to them. The albums that followed seemed very simplistic and rehashed, and above all written to a specific song structure which is one of the first things that put me off an album. Regardless of Petri Lindroos being one the suckiest and least diverse metal vocalists out there - yelping and spewing his vocals forth rather than doing it in a more likable way.

I find Petri to be far from sucky, there is a certain dry quality to his shrieks that sound extremely painful, Jari's had a more wet sound to them (for lack of a better word), which are a lot easier to pull off. As far as rehash goes, that's my entire problem with the first album, most of the songs sound quite similar to one another. Victory Song from the album of (basically) the same name has possibly the best build up I've heard the band do to date, save for maybe Lai Lai Hei.
----
- George Carlin
02.02.2010 - 09:47
His Eminence
Account deleted

I agree with you in that their newer albums with Petri can't compare to the earlier ones. However, I wouldn't go as far to say they are terrible. Victory Songs ranged mediocre to just plain bad, but I think From Afar is a good album. Petri isn't the best vocalist--in my opinion he's decent at best.
02.02.2010 - 17:41
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by [user id=34158] on 02.02.2010 at 09:47

I agree with you in that their newer albums with Petri can't compare to the earlier ones. However, I wouldn't go as far to say they are terrible. Victory Songs ranged mediocre to just plain bad, but I think From Afar is a good album. Petri isn't the best vocalist--in my opinion he's decent at best.

I really like the first song on "From Afar", when I heard it the first time I was like "awesome! theyre BACK!" and then Petri started the vocals and it sort of spoiled it. He just doesnt have enough variation...he sounds exactly the way he did in Norther and since Ensiferum is a completely different type of music than Nrother, I would have expected Petri to try something different but he doesnt because he simply cant.
02.02.2010 - 21:39
His Eminence
Account deleted
Written by [user id=1909] on 02.02.2010 at 17:41

I really like the first song on "From Afar", when I heard it the first time I was like "awesome! theyre BACK!" and then Petri started the vocals and it sort of spoiled it. He just doesnt have enough variation...he sounds exactly the way he did in Norther and since Ensiferum is a completely different type of music than Nrother, I would have expected Petri to try something different but he doesnt because he simply cant.

Yeah, Petri doesn't have much variation in his vocals. But I find myself paying more attention to the other aspects of the music. On another note, I think Petri sounds better with Ensiferum than Norther, but maybe that's just because I don't like Norther too much.