Metal Storm logo
Depressive Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 20.05.2006 - 06:20
There have been a lot of threads created in the past about this, but hopefully this can become the definitive guide to depressive bm. If you have any depressive bm bands you enjoy, please share them. I'll start by posting a few (I haven't heard all of them, but I plan to quite soon).

Burzum (Nothing more needs to be said, really)

Drudkh: Awesome band from the Ukraine, especially in terms of atmosphere. In terms of dbm, the first album is probably better than the latter ones (I only have Autumn Aurora which is stunning).

Krohm: Havent heard but plan to get 'A World through Dead Eyes' soon. I would like to hear some opinions.

Beatrik: Again, I only plan to get Journey through the End of Life. I would like some opinions.

Veil: Relatively unknown USBM band. I have heard good things about their release 'Dolor' available from Autumn Winds Prod.

I chose not to mention Xasthur, as I hardly find them depressive, just tedious. WAY overhyped due to this whole 'suicidal blackmetal' craze.
If anyone could post info on some Swedish dbm such as Hypothermia, Kyla, Durthang etc that would be excellent.
04.01.2013 - 06:15
The Turbanator

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
06.01.2013 - 21:16
Paz
Elite
Some really good one man DSBM from Poland.

Pity there are only 2 albums because dude killed himself (supposedly) :/
06.01.2013 - 21:38
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Well I newly found out about Black Hate, I'm not into depressive BM much, but this one is a good combination of that and some blues.
10.01.2013 - 18:17
The Turbanator
Just found out about this. DSBM band from Russia. 2012 release. Nothing on M/A about this band.

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.02.2013 - 07:40
no one
Account deleted
Written by [user id=130727] on 06.01.2013 at 21:38

Well I newly found out about Black Hate, I'm not into depressive BM much, but this one is a good combination of that and some blues.

i'v only heard a couple of song's but really like there sound .Know where i can download a mp3 album ? i will buy the cd if it is good ,but it's just it takes forever to get to this neck of the woods
12.02.2013 - 08:10
no one
Account deleted
I also have just discovered "Woods of desolation" and fucking love it, i just brought the cd Torn Beyond Reason. Just brought my first Hypothermia album too "Rakbladsvalsen", another amazing score and will definitely be buying some more.

as for this threads first post, IMO apart from Burzum, Xasthur shits on all those other bands mentioned....is drudkh even considered dsbm?
12.02.2013 - 10:33
no one
Account deleted
Ah, sorry for the three posts in a row but..

i was also wondering if anyone new where i can get a hold an album from the french band "hopless". Also a copy of "life is pain" (trist with kim from hypothermia)?

annnd last of all Austere, i really want a cd of there's without having to order it from some random in europe ,when they were from just across the fricken ditch from me
14.02.2013 - 07:21
no one
Account deleted
Written by [user id=136611] on 12.02.2013 at 10:33

i was also wondering if anyone new where i can get a hold an album from the french band "hopless". Also a copy of "life is pain" (trist with kim from hypothermia)?

annnd last of all Austere, i really want a cd of there's without having to order it from some random in europe ,when they were from just across the fricken ditch from me

edit: do people actually reply to these threads?
15.02.2013 - 08:00
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=136611] on 14.02.2013 at 07:21

Haha sorry. Not sure where you can find those albums but you might wanna check Amazon or just google them. Some are really rare though, so the best is to download (no choice). Or if you're lucky, they might have bandcamp sites where you can order (either CD/Vinyl or digital mp3).

Woods Of Desolation and Hypothermia are really good bands. Drudkh was never DSBM.
----
15.02.2013 - 09:02
no one
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 15.02.2013 at 08:00

Haha sorry. Not sure where you can find those albums but you might wanna check Amazon or just google them. Some are really rare though, so the best is to download (no choice). Or if you're lucky, they might have bandcamp sites where you can order (either CD/Vinyl or digital mp3).

Woods Of Desolation and Hypothermia are really good bands. Drudkh was never DSBM.

whoa! there is people out there
Thanks for the reply,i found one copy of "Life is pain" on discogs, abot 15 bux more expensive than ya average cd (and that's a lot when you exchange nz currency) so i might just settle for some more Hypothermia albums .
Still cant find anything from "hopeless". Austere cd's aren't hard to find i have found out, but i just got Gris "Il était une forêt..." in the mail and it is keeping me very satisfied for the time being
15.02.2013 - 09:10
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=136611] on 15.02.2013 at 09:02

Written by The Turbanator on 15.02.2013 at 08:00

whoa! there is people out there
Thanks for the reply,i found one copy of "Life is pain" on discogs, abot 15 bux more expensive than ya average cd (and that's a lot when you exchange nz currency) so i might just settle for some more Hypothermia albums .
Still cant find anything from "hopeless". Austere cd's aren't hard to find i have found out, but i just got Gris "Il était une forêt..." in the mail and it is keeping me very satisfied for the time being

Haha yeah some of these CDs are hard to find. Austere/WOD are easy because they're from Australia and very well known in this genre. Yup, Gris is awesome. You might wanna check out Sombres Forets if you like Gris.. especially his "Quintessence" album.
----
15.02.2013 - 09:58
no one
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 15.02.2013 at 09:10

Haha yeah some of these CDs are hard to find. Austere/WOD are easy because they're from Australia and very well known in this genre. Yup, Gris is awesome. You might wanna check out Sombres Forets if you like Gris.. especially his "Quintessence" album.

oh man there is sooo many dsbm band's i need to check out, but it is always good to get an actual recommendation, will have to check em out.
17.02.2013 - 00:53
no one
Account deleted
Just listening to "happy days". Does anyone get the feeling by the "getting told off by dad" intros and stuff that they might be young vulnerable teenagers, angry at the world and haven't quite gotten over getting dumped by there high school sweet heart,and who don't really know what real depression is?

not saying the music is crap, i actually quite like it.
17.02.2013 - 04:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Happy Day's is fantastic.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.02.2013 - 04:25
no one
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 17.02.2013 at 04:12

Happy Day's is fantastic.

haha i see your 16 , fuck i wish i knew about this music when i was 16.....though i probably would have topped myself for real
17.02.2013 - 12:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by The Turbanator on 26.03.2010 at 22:43

Trist (Czech Rep.) - Zrcadlení Melancholie is quite possibly one of the best Depressive album ever made.

Trist is awesome (not only because its from my country )...i have its another album "Sebevra?ední Andělé" (Suicidal Angels) - just the cover art is amazing - pure black cover, with something little less black (some pattern or picture?) and dark grey fonts, even the cd itself is black, just with white "Trist" imprinted on it...and its great music

i also found this another czech band yesterday - called Clamans and has first demo ep for free download - http://www.mediafire.com/?g7i7bg7x8k0fy89...some solid stuff for beginning one man project
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.02.2013 - 19:21
no one
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 17.02.2013 at 12:06

Trist (Czech Rep.) - Zrcadlení Melancholie is quite possibly one of the best Depressive album ever made.

Trist is awesome (not only because its from my country )...i have its another album "Sebevra?ední Andělé" (Suicidal Angels) - just the cover art is amazing - pure black cover, with something little less black (some pattern or picture?) and dark grey fonts, even the cd itself is black, just with white "Trist" imprinted on it...and its great music

i also found this another czech band yesterday - called Clamans and has first demo ep for free download - http://www.mediafire.com/?g7i7bg7x8k0fy89...some solid stuff for beginning one man project

it's ok i'm liking this hypothermia album a lot more
17.02.2013 - 20:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Trist is also fantastic

I think I have one of His 7"'s around here somewhere.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.02.2013 - 20:58
The Turbanator
Written by Ellrohir on 17.02.2013 at 12:06

Yup Trist is my favourite DSBM band. He came back and released 2 tracks last year. I just adore his music. Will check Clamans out, thanks for this!
----
18.02.2013 - 05:46
no one
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 17.02.2013 at 20:58

Yup Trist is my favourite DSBM band. He came back and released 2 tracks last year. I just adore his music. Will check Clamans out, thanks for this!

is the album "Sebevra?ední Andělé" any different to the rest, or do i just not have the same taste as the majority?
18.02.2013 - 10:11
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I dont know their discography that good to say honestly...why dont you check yourself - it consists of just two tracks of the same name (pt. I and II) and both are on YouTube
----

18.02.2013 - 19:29
no one
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 18.02.2013 at 10:11

I dont know their discography that good to say honestly...why dont you check yourself - it consists of just two tracks of the same name (pt. I and II) and both are on YouTube

really? im not into steeling music, but when it's that easy to listen to and convert to mp3 a whole album, it's hard not to be tempted
19.02.2013 - 00:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am pretty sure Google made some legal movements to make most of the music on Youtube legit to watch (listen) - even when its a ripoff made by a fan a not the official update...i might have check this more to make sure, but i have briefly read something about it...

i would also say Trist wont mind you are listening to their music, because cds are surely sold out (i own handnumbered copy 81 out of 1000), so you actually dont do any economical harm to them
----

19.02.2013 - 02:38
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Trist has vinyls left, I believe.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.02.2013 - 07:00
no one
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 19.02.2013 at 00:31

I am pretty sure Google made some legal movements to make most of the music on Youtube legit to watch (listen) - even when its a ripoff made by a fan a not the official update...i might have check this more to make sure, but i have briefly read something about it..

what are you talking about
19.02.2013 - 10:56
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=136611] on 18.02.2013 at 19:29

Written by Ellrohir on 18.02.2013 at 10:11

really? im not into steeling music, but when it's that easy to listen to and convert to mp3 a whole album, it's hard not to be tempted

Here you go. The full Nostalgie EP made into one track :
----
19.02.2013 - 11:00
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=136611] on 18.02.2013 at 05:46

Written by The Turbanator on 17.02.2013 at 20:58

is the album "Sebevra?ední Andělé" any different to the rest, or do i just not have the same taste as the majority?

The album is pretty different than the rest. Sounds more like the "Stiny" album. After this album he changed his style, and then came the masterpiece "Zrcadlení melancholie".

Both songs are on YouTube (and both are full songs).

Here part I :

and Part II :
----
19.02.2013 - 12:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by [user id=136611] on 19.02.2013 at 07:00

if i understand it correctly, it works through displaying commercials - music copyright holders may "tag" the video as their copyright material, when they find it, and Google then says "ok - we will pay you share for this vid from the money we have from commercials that are included here"...this is sometimes limited, that some vids may not be displayed in certain countries due to some legal issues (i encountered this several times here in Czech)...and i am sure many musicians, especially the smaller bands, dont care at all whether their music is or isnt uploaded to YouTube...some may be even happy, because they know - "when ppl listen to us for free on YouTube, they may find us better and possibly pay us for the album later or visit our next gig"

take Psy's "Gangnam style" for instance - he uploaded the free clip to YT and got instant world-wide-fame...this was intentional and official, but the effect or fan made rip-offs is actually quite the same
----

19.02.2013 - 19:55
no one
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 19.02.2013 at 12:17

Written by [user id=136611] on 19.02.2013 at 07:00

if i understand it correctly, it works through displaying commercials - music copyright holders may "tag" the video as their copyright material, when they find it, and Google then says "ok - we will pay you share for this vid from the money we have from commercials that are included here"...this is sometimes limited, that some vids may not be displayed in certain countries due to some legal issues (i encountered this several times here in Czech)...and i am sure many musicians, especially the smaller bands, dont care at all whether their music is or isnt uploaded to YouTube...some may be even happy, because they know - "when ppl listen to us for free on YouTube, they may find us better and possibly pay us for the album later or visit our next gig"

take Psy's "Gangnam style" for instance - he uploaded the free clip to YT and got instant world-wide-fame...this was intentional and official, but the effect or fan made rip-offs is actually quite the same

oh i get ya
21.02.2013 - 08:34
no one
Account deleted
Just discovered these guys today and am very impressed, everybody's probably heard of them already, but for the off chance