Metal Storm logo
Ideas and suggestions

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 24.08.2011 - 20:00
Post yer ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for the website here. thanks.
15.05.2021 - 21:13
Claudric
Written by Roman Doez on 15.05.2021 at 16:53

Hope I helped you, maybe you already figured that out in the past few months haha

I didn't figure it out. Thank you for your kind and helpful answer !
01.09.2021 - 18:38
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Hi, I was wondering: how much do ratings on MS change over the years? Is there some archive documentation about how the top 200 list looked like in the past? For example, what did MS users think were the top 200 albums ten years ago?
Sharing this info (if available) would be much appreciated!
01.09.2021 - 20:50
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by F3ynman on 01.09.2021 at 18:38

Hi, I was wondering: how much do ratings on MS change over the years? Is there some archive documentation about how the top 200 list looked like in the past? For example, what did MS users think were the top 200 albums ten years ago?
Sharing this info (if available) would be much appreciated!

I'd say your best bet is using the wayback machine
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
02.09.2021 - 00:15
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by RaduP on 01.09.2021 at 20:50

What's the wayback machine?
02.09.2021 - 00:20
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by F3ynman on 02.09.2021 at 00:15

This
----
02.09.2021 - 00:26
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by RaduP on 02.09.2021 at 00:20

Written by F3ynman on 02.09.2021 at 00:15

This

Oh, nice! Thanks!
This is the oldest I found (from 2010):
https://web.archive.org/web/20100405221419/http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/albums_top.php

One can see that there were a lot more albums with an average above a 9
08.09.2021 - 20:18
nikarg
Staff
^ Thanks for all your suggestions, ⅉ⛥ℽ.
It may take some time but we will go through everything.
15.09.2021 - 19:45
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Hi, I just thought of another practical addition: I know I get notified if someone quotes my comment or thumbs-up one of my lists, but I don't get notified when someone thumbs-up one of my comments. I know this is kind of a minor thing, but I think it would be a helpful addition to see if anyone agreed with a post that one just made. Otherwise one has to always periodically check the threads where one posted.
Just an idea. Cheers!
15.09.2021 - 20:06
Redel
Written by F3ynman on 15.09.2021 at 19:45

Hi, I just thought of another practical addition: I know I get notified if someone quotes my comment or thumbs-up one of my lists, but I don't get notified when someone thumbs-up one of my comments. I know this is kind of a minor thing, but I think it would be a helpful addition to see if anyone agreed with a post that one just made. Otherwise one has to always periodically check the threads where one posted.
Just an idea. Cheers!

I have thought of that one as well.
If that is too much to implement technically, one possible alternative could be to show the number of upvotes next to my posts under the following link:
Go to your own profile, then click on the displayed number of your posts. You then see a list of all your posts (titled "My posts") in chronological order, just the number of upvotes is missing.
Maybe it would be feasible to show them here.
15.09.2021 - 21:11
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Redel on 15.09.2021 at 20:06

Written by F3ynman on 15.09.2021 at 19:45

Just an idea. Cheers!

I have thought of that one as well.
If that is too much to implement technically, one possible alternative could be to show the number of upvotes next to my posts under the following link:
Go to your own profile, then click on the displayed number of your posts. You then see a list of all your posts (titled "My posts") in chronological order, just the number of upvotes is missing.
Maybe it would be feasible to show them here.

Yeah that could also work
19.09.2021 - 16:33
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
How about MS towers think about hosting Metal Storm podcast? It could be shorter episodes. Let it be restricted only to the staff. Just a crazy popcorn thought cabbing back to home.
24.09.2021 - 12:04
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I have another idea for an addition to the site:
There's "collection" and "wishlist" in the profile, but what about "want-to-listen-to-next" list? I'd want a spot where I can save albums that I plan on listening to - like a to-do list, ya know? Just a thought
24.09.2021 - 16:44
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 19.09.2021 at 16:33

How about MS towers think about hosting Metal Storm podcast? It could be shorter episodes. Let it be restricted only to the staff. Just a crazy popcorn thought cabbing back to home.

Not entirely out of the realm of possibility, but also I don't think anyone brought it up. Speaking purely for myself, though I'm sure it's the case for at least some of the other staff as well, but I'm more comfortable creating content in written form.

Publishing interviews in audio form would probably be the closest thing, since SSUS is probably tired of having to transcribe mine.
----
24.09.2021 - 16:57
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by F3ynman on 24.09.2021 at 12:04

There's "collection" and "wishlist" in the profile, but what about "want-to-listen-to-next" list? I'd want a spot where I can save albums that I plan on listening to - like a to-do list, ya know? Just a thought

There's already another thread where someone has voiced a very similar idea. It's a good idea, both yours and the other.
I think it would be great to have a customizable solution with an additional option selection that anyone can use as they see fit.
----
signatures = SPAM
24.09.2021 - 17:29
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Starvynth on 24.09.2021 at 16:57

Written by F3ynman on 24.09.2021 at 12:04

There's already another thread where someone has voiced a very similar idea. It's a good idea, both yours and the other.
I think it would be great to have a customizable solution with an additional option selection that anyone can use as they see fit.

Nice idea also - and thanks for the link
30.09.2021 - 21:31
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
The old emojis the website uses, although they have their charm, are a bit outdated, maybe we should get some new ones alongside them? Also I think it's a bit annoying that my ": )" get turned into that terrifying of a smiley face, but that's a pretty minor complaint though.
30.09.2021 - 21:34
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Also I'd tend to agree with the podcast suggestion, maybe even something more fleshed out, like video essays and stuff, but that'd require quite some work so I don't know if it's possible. Another idea would be more social medias, the reign of Facebook has ended quite some time ago, maybe a fresh Instagram account or something similar could help bring a new crowd to the website.
01.10.2021 - 09:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Roman Doez on 30.09.2021 at 21:34

Also I'd tend to agree with the podcast suggestion, maybe even something more fleshed out, like video essays and stuff, but that'd require quite some work so I don't know if it's possible. Another idea would be more social medias, the reign of Facebook has ended quite some time ago, maybe a fresh Instagram account or something similar could help bring a new crowd to the website.

How Instagram would be good for ms if its picture site?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.10.2021 - 19:35
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Bad English on 01.10.2021 at 09:04

How Instagram would be good for ms if its picture site?

The only things posted on the facebook page are links to album reviews and articles, this could be done on instagram as well. Just post the album cover of the reviewed release / the cover picture for the article, say something like "new review / new article, go check it out" in the description of the post and then put the link in bio. Basically what is already happening over on facebook, but on instagram where hashtags can get a lot of people
01.10.2021 - 20:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dunno, to me fb is enough and can be only promotion place, and youtube for band videos. To me insta is bad, but totally unnecessary thing us vkontakte
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.10.2021 - 11:56
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
When going into your album votes, you should be able to see what genres you listened to the most, what genres are the best voted etc... Essentially the same thing as the collection stats, but for albums you rated.
03.10.2021 - 11:52
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Being able to do more precise researches would be a neat addition. I find the "albums" research tool to be a bit restrained, it'd be great if we could put more specific genres like death doom, atmo black, prog death...
05.10.2021 - 11:35
nonZero
Is there a way of adding a filter to the Featured albums list to remove those in your collection in the same way rateyourmusic.com and imdb.com does?
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
23.10.2021 - 14:56
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Having a music map like the one on RYM would be really cool
24.10.2021 - 21:19
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Roman Doez on 02.10.2021 at 11:56

When going into your album votes, you should be able to see what genres you listened to the most, what genres are the best voted etc... Essentially the same thing as the collection stats, but for albums you rated.

Written by Roman Doez on 23.10.2021 at 14:56

Having a music map like the one on RYM would be really cool

Great ideas!
When can one expect the suggestions on this thread to be implemented?
25.10.2021 - 08:45
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by F3ynman on 24.10.2021 at 21:19

When can one expect the suggestions on this thread to be implemented?

Definitely not in the near future. Most of the focus is on fixing bugs rather than implementing anything new.
----
28.10.2021 - 22:51
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Just had a pretty silly idea. When inserting a youtube link, it says "YouTube video ID, ex: xHDccArUA54", but this ID leads to nothing. Would be fun if it led to a dumb video, or maybe a good old rickroll
30.10.2021 - 09:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Roman Doez on 28.10.2021 at 22:51

Just had a pretty silly idea. When inserting a youtube link, it says "YouTube video ID, ex: xHDccArUA54", but this ID leads to nothing. Would be fun if it led to a dumb video, or maybe a good old rickroll

You can just link to the YouTube page with url tags if that's what helps you sleep at night.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.11.2021 - 22:53
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
So under "Bands" you can sort by country. But under "Albums" I can't find any way to sort by country
What's up with that?
Wouldn't it be cool to see what the top albums for each country are?
30.11.2021 - 19:14
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Can we please expand the options of collection_edit.php by the choice "digital"?

----
signatures = SPAM