Metal Storm logo
Who is your Favorite Rapper and why?

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 09.07.2008 - 11:15
for the few (or not, i dont know the demographic) of you metalheads that listen to rap, who is your favorite rapper and why? my top 3, in no order, are Lil Wayne, Immortal Technique and Tech N9ne. though Tech N9ne is hella club music at times, hes about his business. Immortal Technique is sheer auditory brutality and Lil Wayne has "fear god" tattooed on his eyelids and writes eloquent lyrics. Now i leave this question to ya'll, favorites and why?

EDIT, 2/3/10

the top three i originally had in this topic has DRASITCALLY changed with the exception of Immortal Technique. both Lil Wayne and Tech N9ne have commodified themselves to such a degree that their music has become unpallatable.

top 3 presently

Dead Prez
Immortal Technique
and MAYBE Nickatina or Mac Dre, but im more about lyrics with a message nowadays so they might not make it depending on circumstances.
07.09.2008 - 07:08
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by vulgar talent on 07.09.2008 at 03:24

Eminem, Twista, & Lil Wayne are my favorites

My close friends listen to rap and hip-hop and very little metal so I'm exposed to it a lot but forever I have a metal heart!

lil wayne KILLS. if he actually released a cd that isnt a mixtape, he'd be the best rapper at present.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
08.09.2008 - 02:01
vulgar talent
Written by LeChron James on 07.09.2008 at 07:08

My close friends listen to rap and hip-hop and very little metal so I'm exposed to it a lot but forever I have a metal heart!

lil wayne KILLS. if he actually released a cd that isnt a mixtape, he'd be the best rapper at present.

Oh I always thought The Carter III was an album and not a mixtape.. or maybe I have things all sorts of wrong, lol.
08.09.2008 - 02:03
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by vulgar talent on 08.09.2008 at 02:01

Written by LeChron James on 07.09.2008 at 07:08

Oh I always thought The Carter III was an album and not a mixtape.. or maybe I have things all sorts of wrong, lol.

no i think youre right, the carter III, to my knowledge, is his music. im talkin about stuff like da drought III where he DESTROYS the original versions of other rappers' songs. listen to "skys the limit", "seat down low" and "back on my grizzy". absolutely KILLER. worthy of being written in all caps LOL.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.09.2008 - 16:27
Frankenchrist
hmm...i can't think of ONE but here are a few.

-Weezy
-Lupe Fiasco
-The Notorious B.I.G.
-Method Man
Redman
-Busta Rhymes
-Immortal Technique
-NaS
-Mos Def
----
Blat Blat
28.09.2008 - 18:38
Sick Girl
Lil Wayne, by far. I've just always liked him. I love his voice, I love his songs. He's just a good rapper in my opinion.
29.09.2008 - 03:04
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Sick Girl on 28.09.2008 at 18:38

Lil Wayne, by far. I've just always liked him. I love his voice, I love his songs. He's just a good rapper in my opinion.

Lil Wayne does hella drugs and writes songs. which is amazing because some of the stuff he does doesnt normally lead to coherent lyrics.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

29.09.2008 - 23:48
Sick Girl
Written by LeChron James on 29.09.2008 at 03:04

Lil Wayne does hella drugs and writes songs. which is amazing because some of the stuff he does doesnt normally lead to coherent lyrics.

that actually doesn't suprise me. haha. he looks pretty out of it most of the time. but then again, most of the most brilliant musicians are on drugs.
30.09.2008 - 00:41
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Sick Girl on 29.09.2008 at 23:48

that actually doesn't suprise me. haha. he looks pretty out of it most of the time. but then again, most of the most brilliant musicians are on drugs.

so are the worst ones. bad musicians let drugs ruin their music, like cocaine and aerosmith.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

30.09.2008 - 01:01
Sick Girl
Written by LeChron James on 30.09.2008 at 00:41

Written by Sick Girl on 29.09.2008 at 23:48

so are the worst ones. bad musicians let drugs ruin their music, like cocaine and aerosmith.

True, pretty much, it inspires or it destroys their music. Like the lead singer of Acid Bath is fucking amazing, and addicted like no other.
30.09.2008 - 01:58
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen

True, pretty much, it inspires or it destroys their music. Like the lead singer of Acid Bath is fucking amazing, and addicted like no other.

what is his drug of choice? i dont know much about Acid Bath and their drug habits.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

30.09.2008 - 21:14
Hyvaarin
Dre, Snoop, MC Ren. They each have great flows and the attitude to match. Fucking classics.

And I love Lil Jon and Soulja Boy for partying purposes.

edit - OH FUCK AND NECRO! Exhibit A. Lots of good memories attached to this song, even though the rapping's pretty shithouse.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
30.09.2008 - 21:17
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I personally think Lil Wayne is garbage, except for that one song "Best Rapper Alive"

My favorite rapper is Tupac, because he is still rapping from beyond the grave.
01.10.2008 - 02:03
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Hyvaarin on 30.09.2008 at 21:14

Dre, Snoop, MC Ren. They each have great flows and the attitude to match. Fucking classics.

And I love Lil Jon and Soulja Boy for partying purposes.

edit - OH FUCK AND NECRO! Exhibit A. Lots of good memories attached to this song, even though the rapping's pretty shithouse.

dude lil jon is HILARIOUS. but everytime i hear souja boy i murder a kitten.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

01.10.2008 - 02:09
Sick Girl
Written by LeChron James on 30.09.2008 at 01:58

what is his drug of choice? i dont know much about Acid Bath and their drug habits.

I really want to say herion or whatever it's called. My best friend is an Acid Bath fanatic, and he says the dude is just always tripping weird stuff.
04.10.2008 - 21:15
Gigginova
Account deleted
Lil' Jon doesn't rap though.....

I only listen to the old school stuff. I like the stuff from L.A. but NYC rapper, Big Daddy Kane......I will always view him as the very best rapper in terms of skill. His rhymes are so clever and so entertaining all at once. No wonder he's a hall of famer.
04.10.2008 - 23:33
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by [user id=160] on 04.10.2008 at 21:15

Lil' Jon doesn't rap though.....

I only listen to the old school stuff. I like the stuff from L.A. but NYC rapper, Big Daddy Kane......I will always view him as the very best rapper in terms of skill. His rhymes are so clever and so entertaining all at once. No wonder he's a hall of famer.

Big Daddy Kane is a genius call. hes very good at what he does.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

10.10.2008 - 07:13
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I must simply say that, as a personal opinion, I can't stand lil wayne, I think he's overated, and could not be less deserving of the title "Best Rapper Alive." I could name like, 100 rappers that are better than him. He's not even the best new rapper. The Game came out onto the scene on 2004, and I believe him when he says "Outa all the newcomers yo my flow the illest." The only song I like with lil wayne in it, ironically, is a song he did a hook on for The Game, "My Life."
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
06.11.2008 - 01:11
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Hate them all except Eminem i respect him alot
06.11.2008 - 04:15
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Powerslavex on 06.11.2008 at 01:11

he got voted best rapper alive last month? i dont agree with it at all. your opinion?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

06.11.2008 - 05:22
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by LeChron James on 06.11.2008 at 04:15

he got voted best rapper alive last month? i dont agree with it at all. your opinion?

Eh... used to listen to a lot of Eminem (like most) tried to listen again recently and lost interest quickly.
The only album I can really enjoy is D12's Devils Night, I just love how twisted the songs are.

And I ain't got no food, my job I've been cheated
My girlfriend had a miscarriage (I'm sorry) I had to eat it (ohh)
My dick is burnin, it ain't cause of disease
Because I'm jackin off with gasoline mixed with antifreeze (AHH!)
06.11.2008 - 10:44
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Introspekrieg on 06.11.2008 at 05:22

Eh... used to listen to a lot of Eminem (like most) tried to listen again recently and lost interest quickly.
The only album I can really enjoy is D12's Devils Night, I just love how twisted the songs are.

so who would you pick for best rapper alive, if you dont think hes deserving. or if you do think hes deserving, why?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

06.11.2008 - 12:08
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Written by LeChron James on 06.11.2008 at 10:44

Written by Introspekrieg on 06.11.2008 at 05:22

so who would you pick for best rapper alive, if you dont think hes deserving. or if you do think hes deserving, why?

Well i think he deserves the best rapper alive , cause his lyrics in some of his songs are really good (Stan, Marshall Mathers, Kim, Cleanin Out My Closet, Hailie's Song, Mockingbird, Like Toy Soldiers)
06.11.2008 - 16:23
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I guess this would lead me to choose Bizarre... I just love his lyrics and original style.
Eminem seems to have the same problem as 50 Cent for me, I just can't stand their dance oriented songs so the rest of their work is seen in a negative light.
Matisyahu is more reggae but I still also think he has a nice flow.
03.02.2009 - 12:09
DarkPsy
Bone Thugs & harmony
Immortal Technique

And the God Of rap - Tupac Shakur! /
03.02.2009 - 14:09
Deadsoulman
Elite
I used to like the rappers most people mentioned in this thread, a few years back. Somehow I don't anymore. Despising what I once liked is not something that happens to me very often, but it happened with generic modern hip hop. Now, most of it bores me about as much as generic metal or any other kind of generic music. I still enjoy some old school stuff like Public Enemy, Cypress Hill and Wu Tang Clan (and all the Clan's offshoots), but nowadays I like alternative hip hop much more. Among my favourites are Dälek, Buck 65, Cannibal Ox, Aesop Rock, Saul Williams, that kind of stuff. Especially Dälek's mix of noise, industrial and hip hop really grew on me over the past year and a half. Plus his lyrics are totally awesome and pissed off at everything in the world today. Absence has quickly become one of my fav hip hop albums.

I could also mention Deltron 3030 but it's more a hip hop band/project and I don't like Del Tha Funkee Homosapien's solo works. Their only album is really unique though, and a real mindfuck at times.

Eternal gratitude to Jupitreas for introducing me to a lot of these artists
04.02.2009 - 00:53
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Introspekrieg on 06.11.2008 at 16:23

I guess this would lead me to choose Bizarre... I just love his lyrics and original style.
Eminem seems to have the same problem as 50 Cent for me, I just can't stand their dance oriented songs so the rest of their work is seen in a negative light.

I'm sorry, but, eminem is nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING like 50 cent. All 50 cent ever rapped about was selling crack and getting rich. There was nothing ever politically or societally worthwhile in 50 cent's music, he isn't very lyrically inclined, and he doesn't even have much of a flow; it's blunt and halting, it lacks fluidity.

Eminems music does have it's political and more prominemtly social values behind it, and he tells the stories of his childhood well. He makes his points honestly and directly, with valid criticism toward those who he disagreed with or those who disagreed with him. There was feeling in his music, and while it was popular as hell, he still had dignity while he did it. He was a rapper who could get famous and be himself. In other words, he didn't have to sell out.

Fuck 50 cent's fake wangsta shit stirrin pussy whinin ass. All he is is bubble gum pussy R&B. To quote the RZA, R&B stands for one thing; Rap and Bullshit....not any afront to you. It's just that the notion of Marshall Mathers being compared to 50 cent disgusts me.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

04.02.2009 - 01:07
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 04.02.2009 at 00:53

I'm sorry, but, eminem is nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING like 50 cent. All 50 cent ever rapped about was selling crack and getting rich. There was nothing ever politically or societally worthwhile in 50 cent's music, he isn't very lyrically inclined, and he doesn't even have much of a flow; it's blunt and halting, it lacks fluidity.

Eminems music does have it's political and more prominemtly social values behind it, and he tells the stories of his childhood well. He makes his points honestly and directly, with valid criticism toward those who he disagreed with or those who disagreed with him. There was feeling in his music, and while it was popular as hell, he still had dignity while he did it. He was a rapper who could get famous and be himself. In other words, he didn't have to sell out.

Fuck 50 cent's fake wangsta shit stirrin pussy whinin ass. All he is is bubble gum pussy R&B. To quote the RZA, R&B stands for one thing; Rap and Bullshit....not any afront to you. It's just that the notion of Marshall Mathers being compared to 50 cent disgusts me.

You are correct sir, very good point. I just saw a 50 Cent Vitamin Water ad not too long ago, so I'm guessing he doesn't have but a few seconds left of his 15 minutes.
I listened to Eminem's "Infinite" and I actually like quite a few songs from that...
Sorry for the uninformed comparison
04.02.2009 - 03:40
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Introspekrieg on 04.02.2009 at 01:07

Written by Arian Totalis on 04.02.2009 at 00:53

You are correct sir, very good point. I just saw a 50 Cent Vitamin Water ad not too long ago, so I'm guessing he doesn't have but a few seconds left of his 15 minutes.
I listened to Eminem's "Infinite" and I actually like quite a few songs from that...
Sorry for the uninformed comparison

Yeah man, it's cool. Infinite is a pretty good release, he had a good flow back then but he wasn't as lyrically cultivated. Have you heard anything from "Soul Intent"?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

21.02.2009 - 18:48
Hellkommando
Mad Villain, Eazy E and Gza but anyone from Wu-Tang really.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
22.02.2009 - 10:56
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Errytime i hit the quownuh i be turnin headszzz
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor