Metal Storm logo
Our new generation of "Metal Heads"

Original post

Posted by BrokenKnuckles, 21.02.2011 - 15:05
I havent been to a concert in a few years. I went last night to see Whitechapel and I couldnt help but notice all the preteen kids that are at the show. Non of them are paying attention to the bands. They all look like gothic Justin Beibers, way too much makeup, jewerly, drinking Monster enery drinks like its the coolest thing ever. When I was under 21 going to shows I went to see the fucking band and drink WATER because I was rocking in the pit. Anyone else notice this chain of mutants?
23.02.2011 - 16:36
BrokenKnuckles
Written by [user id=107773] on 23.02.2011 at 16:07

Written by BrokenKnuckles on 23.02.2011 at 15:19

Written by [user id=107773] on 23.02.2011 at 15:15

You know a rant is bad when it's based on a South Park episode, albeit, in a Metal context. ^

I could be Justin Beibers' brother dressed as Dracula and still be a metalhead. Your way of thinking needs to evolve...quickly.

What episode?

The one with Butters becoming a 'vampire' and the Goth kids looking down on them for trying to be darker than they are.

hahahaha great episode. I didnt even think of that. Fucking Hot Topic....
23.02.2011 - 17:57
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by BrokenKnuckles on 21.02.2011 at 15:05

I havent been to a concert in a few years. I went last night to see Whitechapel and I couldnt help but notice all the preteen kids that are at the show. Non of them are paying attention to the bands. They all look like gothic Justin Beibers, way too much makeup, jewerly, drinking Monster enery drinks like its the coolest thing ever. When I was under 21 going to shows I went to see the fucking band and drink WATER because I was rocking in the pit. Anyone else notice this chain of mutants?

This is definitely gonna be anywhere you go... and you won't be able to escape these little shits at a Slayer show either, not anymore at least. With all this Big 4 bullshit going on, they're going to be swamped with a bunch of these little pricks. Concerning how they LOOK, I would have to say that they definitely look gay, and like they probably want to worship Justin Boober's penis. I will disagree TO A CERTAIN DEGREE that their appearance determines their status as a metalhead. I think the fashion is atrocious myself, but they COULD still be loyal metalheads. In regards to them NOT being loyal metalheads... death to them, plain and simple. Some of us don't use metal as a job, or a way to pass the time by moderating and keeping up a metal site to achieve some small semblance of authority over other people. There are those of us who take metal for what it is, a way of life, a religion even. We don't just LISTEN to the stuff, we fucking BELIEVE in it, and LIVE it. And in my personal opinion, it should be taken more seriously, even reverently, than just a casual listen because you're fuckin bored, nor should a concert be attended just because it's something to do on a fuckin Thursday night... it deserves more respect than that, and the rest of you elitists can give me the "well that's how your favorite bands get new fans" garbage, but it's bullshit. Bands deserve loyal listeners and followers, which is DRASTICALLY different than PAYING CUSTOMERS!! Which is where I could also go on and on about the BANDS as well... but this discussion is about the "fans". Anyway... obliterate them next time you see them Knucks.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
23.02.2011 - 18:00
JÄY
Metal slave
Defending honor!!!
23.02.2011 - 18:04
BrokenKnuckles
Written by JÄY on 23.02.2011 at 18:00

Defending honor!!!

you're awesome
23.02.2011 - 20:59
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Personally I think it's pretty sad when "grown-ups" are so fanatical about something that they get really upset when other people aren't as serious about it as they are. It's also kind of amusing how so many people truly believe their "generation" was/is so much better than the next one is. I suppose it's easy to only want to remember the good stuff and it shows what a warped view people have of themselves (or their past self for that matter).

I liked this post a lot by the way, fully agree with it.
Written by IronAngel on 23.02.2011 at 00:37

Other than that, I find this topic sad and embarassing. There are few things worse than pseudo-sociological ego-stroking whose only purpose is to fuel group identity and self-satisfaction, especially when it's done by metalheads who're a prime example of self-deceiving, uncritical sheep.

----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
24.02.2011 - 00:24
Slayer666
Quite possibly the most pointless, useless topic on MS.
Not sure why it isn't closed yet. If you don't like Goth Biebers, just ignore them, don't go around bitching about them, whilst promoting your elitism. Yeah, yeah, you're a big bad true metalhead. Now keep it to yourself.
24.02.2011 - 01:04
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
See... what all you holier than thou motherfuckers are all NOT seeing, is that YOU might be able to ignore shit... some of us can't, nor are we required to just because you say so. On the same token, some things and people in the world CAN'T be ignored. And just because YOU aren't interested in it, doesn't mean it's a pointless thread. The entire point of a DISCUSSION THREAD is to put something up that you would like to talk about, or that's bugging you, and get other peoples' reactions to it.
----
24.02.2011 - 02:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Holy Man on 24.02.2011 at 01:04

See... what all you holier than thou motherfuckers are all NOT seeing, is that YOU might be able to ignore shit... some of us can't, nor are we required to just because you say so. On the same token, some things and people in the world CAN'T be ignored. And just because YOU aren't interested in it, doesn't mean it's a pointless thread. The entire point of a DISCUSSION THREAD is to put something up that you would like to talk about, or that's bugging you, and get other peoples' reactions to it.

Holier than thou? Aren't you one of the ones looking down your nose at people because of the way they dress? I'm not sure if your being facetious or not when you post such hypocrisy.

I've just got a question, what did these kids do to you?

Written by Holy Man on 23.02.2011 at 17:57

Some of us don't use metal as a job, or a way to pass the time by moderating and keeping up a metal site to achieve some small semblance of authority over other people.

You do realize almost every staff member on here was a regular user such as yourself at one point, right? Having authoritative control over people isn't why we agreed to be staff here, nor anywhere in our thoughts when we signed up as regular users. Any "authority" we exercise around here is almost entirely in the forums when people are being excessively obnoxious, even then, that's only a select group of staff who are designated moderators.

I do it because I get to hear tons of new music every day, stuff I never would have discovered otherwise. Oh yeah, that and the huge paychecks.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.02.2011 - 02:23
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by Doc G. on 24.02.2011 at 02:03

Written by Holy Man on 24.02.2011 at 01:04

Holier than thou? Aren't you one of the ones looking down your nose at people because of the way they dress? I'm not sure if your being facetious or not when you post such hypocrisy.

I've just got a question, what did these kids do to you?

Written by Holy Man on 23.02.2011 at 17:57

Some of us don't use metal as a job, or a way to pass the time by moderating and keeping up a metal site to achieve some small semblance of authority over other people.

You do realize almost every staff member on here was a regular user such as yourself at one point, right? Having authoritative control over people isn't why we agreed to be staff here, nor anywhere in our thoughts when we signed up as regular users. Any "authority" we exercise around here is almost entirely in the forums when people are being excessively obnoxious, even then, that's only a select group of staff who are designated moderators.

I do it because I get to hear tons of new music every day, stuff I never would have discovered otherwise. Oh yeah, that and the huge paychecks.

Ahh, there it is, i was waiting for somebody to jump in on this one... yeah, I fully admit that I find these kids' choice of attire ridiculous. Never denied it. What I'm getting at, is that those of you choosing to scold us like school teachers about making fun of people, are pointing fingers at those of us with negative opinions, as if you all have NEVER EVER thought, or spoken something like that about someone else... there are maybe 2 people in the world i can think of who MIGHT not have ever insulted someone, or criticized them for one reason or another, and I'm not positive about that. So playing the "don't make fun of people" card is just a little out of color. I'm proud of my opinions, I think these kids look like fags, and they probably think I'm a fag for wearin' MENS PANTS... but that's the way of the world dudes... and to be technical, that wasn't my main point... MY point, was their lack of devotion to the music they seem to treat with less respect than I feel is appropriate, that was MY main point, not their clothing...
----
24.02.2011 - 02:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Holy Man on 24.02.2011 at 02:23

Ahh, there it is, i was waiting for somebody to jump in on this one... yeah, I fully admit that I find these kids' choice of attire ridiculous. Never denied it. What I'm getting at, is that those of you choosing to scold us like school teachers about making fun of people, are pointing fingers at those of us with negative opinions, as if you all have NEVER EVER thought, or spoken something like that about someone else... there are maybe 2 people in the world i can think of who MIGHT not have ever insulted someone, or criticized them for one reason or another, and I'm not positive about that. So playing the "don't make fun of people" card is just a little out of color. I'm proud of my opinions, I think these kids look like fags, and they probably think I'm a fag for wearin' MENS PANTS... but that's the way of the world dudes... and to be technical, that wasn't my main point... MY point, was their lack of devotion to the music they seem to treat with less respect than I feel is appropriate, that was MY main point, not their clothing...

I think you completely misunderstood everything. Hell, I'm an asshole, I'll be the first to admit that. However, I tend to put my dislike of people into more logical reasons. I used to sport the same mindset as well, until I grew up, pulled my head out of my ass, and actually talked to some of these guys, and guess what? It turns out these kids are there for similar reasons - to see a show, have some good times with friends, and enjoy the atmosphere.

I don't think any of us were saying "never insult anyone", but rather save your hatred for someone who, you know, actually wronged you in some way. Lack of devotion? Really? What are you like the metal police, now? Lack of devotion is not really something you can measure. I also fail to see how the way they dress shows disrespect to the genre? In addition, how the hell does just enjoying the music without going to life-devouring extremes harm you in any way? How does it detract from the music?

As far as them thinking your a fag for wearing mens pants...They probably don't think anything of it at all. Actually, they probably think you're a "fag" for being irrationally closed-minded.
----
- George Carlin
24.02.2011 - 04:24
BrokenKnuckles
Listen. I just see these little punks and know they are not into metal for the right reasons. At was at the young punk ass phase too, but I stuck with metal and knew it was more to me. I know more than half of these little mall food court "I want to be different" freaks are just in it to stand out and piss off mom and dad. That's why it bothers me. You're probably right Doc. If I talked with some of them they are probably legit kids. But 80% of them are douche bags and those ones are easy to spot out.
24.02.2011 - 04:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
How do you know what reasons they're in it for? There's no way of genuinely telling peoples motivations. I'm not denying that there are some there for that reason, but there's probably just as many who look like stereotypical metalheads who do it for that reason as well.
----
- George Carlin
24.02.2011 - 05:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
How one dresses is in no way relevant to how well they understand a specific genre of music. I wear designer dress shirts and dress pants. Does that mean I'm not "one with metal"? Does that negate my opinion as a metalhead? Should my votes in the MS Awards be disregarded as a result of my inability to connect with metal because I might look "like a fag" to some people?

Whether or not I'm attending a show, I'll be wearing whatever I think I look best in, and I'll be enjoying the music for the reason I started listening to this shit in the first place: I connect with it. And my Calvin Klein dress shirts don't get in the way of that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.02.2011 - 07:01
Thunderhead
Written by IronAngel on 23.02.2011 at 00:37

I don't care if those kids Thunderhead was talking about didn't know Metallica or couldn't recognize the songs of their favorite bands. They knew AD&D so they're cool in my book!

Other than that, I find this topic sad and embarassing. There are few things worse than pseudo-sociological ego-stroking whose only purpose is to fuel group identity and self-satisfaction, especially when it's done by metalheads who're a prime example of self-deceiving, uncritical sheep.

Bieber is cool, too.

Well i just indignated by their attitude... Nothing more.
I don't really care if they wear slipknot, maidens, kreator's, dream theater's, exodus's, nightwish's or any other band t-shirt and listen to justin bieber or beyonce in their houses.... Just don't like that they think they known something they really don't, and try to teach me...
I don't like that.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
24.02.2011 - 09:15
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.02.2011 at 05:31

How one dresses is in no way relevant to how well they understand a specific genre of music. I wear designer dress shirts and dress pants. Does that mean I'm not "one with metal"? Does that negate my opinion as a metalhead? Should my votes in the MS Awards be disregarded as a result of my inability to connect with metal because I might look "like a fag" to some people?

Whether or not I'm attending a show, I'll be wearing whatever I think I look best in, and I'll be enjoying the music for the reason I started listening to this shit in the first place: I connect with it. And my Calvin Klein dress shirts don't get in the way of that.

I still think you're a fag, Troy, Calvin Klein or not.

Seriously though, Calvin Klein shirts might get in the way of that actually. I don't mean by appreciating the music, but I've destroyed far too many pairs of sneakers, jeans, t-shirts (and on one occasion a pair of underwear) to risk my nice clothing in that type of atmosphere.

I hate to break it everyone, but this "fight for true metal" or whatever the fuck it is, is actually just a fight against a bunch of teenagers drawn to aggressive music who haven't yet conformed to your ideals of what a metalhead needs to be.

"You're allowed to be part of our subculture that boasts rebellion and freedom of expression, just as long as you wear this uniform."
----
- George Carlin
24.02.2011 - 09:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Metalheads are sheep in wolves' clothing.

who gives a shit why someone is in to something or what they wear? i am sorry some of you are so pathetic that you cling to metal as some form of rebellion from the norms... yet insist your fellow rebels adhere to your rules on dress and behaviors. the sad sack who got into metal for the wrong reasons is just some kind metal fan away from being pointed in the "right" direction.

because no one on this site stumbled into metal via nu-metal, korn, the black album, or something else you true metal warriors consider uncool... amirite?

TL;DR: "i'm feel compelled to point out how unmetal other people are because it's the only way to prove how metal i am!"

and lmfao at "staff basher" ... aren't you cool.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.02.2011 - 13:10
IronAngel
Written by Doc G. on 24.02.2011 at 09:15

I hate to break it everyone, but this "fight for true metal" or whatever the fuck it is, is actually just a fight against a bunch of teenagers drawn to aggressive music who haven't yet conformed to your ideals of what a metalhead needs to be.

"You're allowed to be part of our subculture that boasts rebellion and freedom of expression, just as long as you wear this uniform."

Written by BitterCOld on 24.02.2011 at 09:35

Metalheads are sheep in wolves' clothing.

who gives a shit why someone is in to something or what they wear? i am sorry some of you are so pathetic that you cling to metal as some form of rebellion from the norms... yet insist your fellow rebels adhere to your rules on dress and behaviors. the sad sack who got into metal for the wrong reasons is just some kind metal fan away from being pointed in the "right" direction.

You two sum it up perfectly. The irony is overwhelming, and it's the most amusing and frustrating thing about the average metal fan.

I won't point out that you can't know other people's motivations or their level of dedication from their appearance and behaviour. You can't do that infallibly, but I'll concede that you can get good hints. I argue that it's not important and none of our business. Metal is a type of music, and it doesn't inherently "deserve" dedication, reverence, respect or loyalty. That sounds like mysticism. Neither are there any "right" or "wrong" reasons for digging music or identifying with a subculture. If you're into it for the deep emotional resonance and because you want to support underground artists in their self-expression, that's cool. If you're only in it for the controversial clothes and because you mommy doesn't like it, that's cool too. People are free to enjoy their entertainment however they want to, and arguing there's better and less deserving ways is comical more than anything.
24.02.2011 - 15:47
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Doc G. on 24.02.2011 at 04:41

How do you know what reasons they're in it for? There's no way of genuinely telling peoples motivations. I'm not denying that there are some there for that reason, but there's probably just as many who look like stereotypical metalheads who do it for that reason as well.

I am agree with you on this,
I mean each young man is trying to find a group to fit in ....Dressing is one way to confirm your belonging to a group ,but then again I think that people should wear whatever they like....So this matter of "Our new generation of "Metal Heads""is pointed to the new way of thinking what is metal and metalhead ,ofyounger generations that grew up in time of dominance of nu and -core metal as the "mainstream" metal.... I think that this have nothing with clothing style of individuals and particular groups (remember the '90s BM scene in Norway,corpse paint and else.... )
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
24.02.2011 - 17:46
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Well, the point I was trying to make wasn't related to their choice of attire. like I said, I think it looks gay, and I don't like it, and that's pretty much the extent of it. I PERSONALLY take metal seriously, and it means more to me so I have a different idea of how much respect the music and bands should be given, therefore it's my opinion. That doesn't make me closed minded anymore than it makes someone else closed minded. What I mean is that it is MY OPINION that it should be taken more seriously, that's all... is there something wrong with that?
----
24.02.2011 - 17:56
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Slayer666 on 24.02.2011 at 00:24

Quite possibly the most pointless, useless topic on MS.
Not sure why it isn't closed yet.

well you will know why when you become a bit older....
dont take me wrong,i dont think you are childish but you will see how your way of thinking will change in few years,
Trust me ,I went trough the same shit ,and questioned every damn thing when i was your age,now I just dont give a fuck.....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
24.02.2011 - 18:01
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.02.2011 at 18:14

Ya in 5 or 10 years those same kids will be complaining about the teenagers attending the same concerts.

as usual ,that shit happens every god damn time....
----
24.02.2011 - 23:19
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Holy Man on 24.02.2011 at 17:46

Well, the point I was trying to make wasn't related to their choice of attire. like I said, I think it looks gay, and I don't like it, and that's pretty much the extent of it. I PERSONALLY take metal seriously, and it means more to me so I have a different idea of how much respect the music and bands should be given, therefore it's my opinion. That doesn't make me closed minded anymore than it makes someone else closed minded. What I mean is that it is MY OPINION that it should be taken more seriously, that's all... is there something wrong with that?

Yes, there is. As the more posts you make, the more hypocritical or illogical you become.

The fact that you put so much emphasis on image is a sign of where your values lie. Whether you take metal seriously or not is completely irrelevant, as I said before, there is no actual reason behind the mind set of "the way these teenagers dress = disrespect to metal". There is absolutely no foundation for that mindset.

It seems to me you just don't like their fashion, so you're using metal as a tool to bash them.
----
- George Carlin
24.02.2011 - 23:40
Luneth
Account deleted
God damn, stop arguing, this was actually an interesting topic, there is no right or wrong, OP isn't wrong for having, in my view, a backward opinion, nor am I wrong for thinking of his opinion as such, why? Because it's my opinion.

Opinion vs Opinion will always result in an opinion, I'm sure I've explained that before
24.02.2011 - 23:44
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by [user id=107773] on 24.02.2011 at 23:40

God damn, stop arguing, this was actually an interesting topic, there is no right or wrong, OP isn't wrong for having, in my view, a backward opinion, nor am I wrong for thinking of his opinion as such, why? Because it's my opinion.

Opinion vs Opinion will always result in an opinion, I'm sure I've explained that before

Arguing is precisely putting opinion vs opinion, and it's the whole point of it (as most of the times, no one will convince the 'other side')
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
24.02.2011 - 23:49
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by Doc G. on 24.02.2011 at 23:19

Written by Holy Man on 24.02.2011 at 17:46

Yes, there is. As the more posts you make, the more hypocritical or illogical you become.

The fact that you put so much emphasis on image is a sign of where your values lie. Whether you take metal seriously or not is completely irrelevant, as I said before, there is no actual reason behind the mind set of "the way these teenagers dress = disrespect to metal". There is absolutely no foundation for that mindset.

It seems to me you just don't like their fashion, so you're using metal as a tool to bash them.

Ok, see there again, you're missing my statement. I'm not putting EMPHASIS on image... I just think it looks gay, that has nothing whatsoever to do with the rest of it. I just take it more seriously, as I feel that's what it deserves and I don't like how casually metal gets treated by some others... that's the entire point. Appearance and image have absolutely nothing to do with that.
----
25.02.2011 - 00:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Metal is a form of entertainment. sorry other people don't take it as seriously as you do... clearly they are inferior and should be castigated!

and the whole "i take it seriously" thing is pretty funny coming from a guy who's primary contribution to this metal website is gay/dick jokes in the shout box. here you are going all south park al gore "I'm SUPER CEREAL GUYS! COME ON!" because we don't take your opinion "more serious"ly?

i wonder why.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.02.2011 - 00:51
Slayer666
@Holy Man
Normally, I don't judge people based on the kind of music they listen to, but after seeing Manowar in your "Favorite bands" list, the logic behind this "METHUL IZ SERIAL BIZNEES!!!11ONEONE" attitude became a lot more apparent.
Seriously dude, ever heard of "live and let live"? If they piss you off so much that you can't simply ignore them, stop going to the shows or something. If they were in some way preventing you from enjoying metal and shows, I'd understand your rage (hell, I'd probably get violent). But, seeing as they only mind their own business while looking stupid, I really don't see what the fuss is about.
25.02.2011 - 00:53
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 24.02.2011 at 23:44

Written by [user id=107773] on 24.02.2011 at 23:40

Arguing is precisely putting opinion vs opinion, and it's the whole point of it (as most of the times, no one will convince the 'other side')

That suggests that the idea of this being a discussion is merely a guise for argument. What's the point in that? If discussion could yield knowledge, i.e, learning how someone else perceives something, how is arguing going to help anyone? It's very easy to have a discussion without arguing.
25.02.2011 - 02:17
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by Slayer666 on 25.02.2011 at 00:51

@Holy Man
Normally, I don't judge people based on the kind of music they listen to, but after seeing Manowar in your "Favorite bands" list, the logic behind this "METHUL IZ SERIAL BIZNEES!!!11ONEONE" attitude became a lot more apparent.
Seriously dude, ever heard of "live and let live"? If they piss you off so much that you can't simply ignore them, stop going to the shows or something. If they were in some way preventing you from enjoying metal and shows, I'd understand your rage (hell, I'd probably get violent). But, seeing as they only mind their own business while looking stupid, I really don't see what the fuss is about.

The initial topic and discussion wasn't mine to begin with... I didn't bring it up. I offered my opinion about the people, and how I don't think they're doing the music and bands justice... but again... my opinion. And the above statement YOU just made is absolutely no different than somebody bashing the kids at the shows...

And metal being a form of "entertainment" is also a matter of definition... to YOU it's entertainment, to ME it's expression, art, life... way more important than just entertainment to me... Minesweeper is entertainment, there's a difference to me... an opinion which I'm entitled to. All of you are seriously confusing my meaning here I think. Yeah, I think they look gay, No that is not the main point. I feel they take the music a little less seriously than I PERSONALLY feel is appropriate, again, my opinion, which I'm entitled to. I listen to this music, and make this music, because it makes my life more complete, because I can't NOT do it. It's important to me.

And in regards to my "gay, dick, fart, piss, shit, twat" jokes you all have a problem with... I've seen these kinds of jokes since the last ban-wave happened... so the whole "everybody who did it was punished" bit is completely transparent...
----
25.02.2011 - 03:11
WickedBuddhi
I agree with the lot of you. But like one person mentioned, I think it's just a phase. As teenagers, you don't really know your ass from your elbow-- and pretty much buy into anything. "All you know about me is what I sold ya." These kids bought into a culture that isn't necessarily metal... it's Hot Topic, It's major labels signing and selling the next look. Is it their fault? To an extent but everyone wants to belong something, I figure. Just another mixed bag of lost souls in my book.

I didn't get into heavy metal till I was about 17. I never dressed up or even attempted to walk the walk or talk the talk, but much what was being said through the music I agreed with and held onto. If one song taught me anything at a young age what it is to be metal. it's Metal Church's The Powers That Be from Blessing in Disguise.