Metal Storm logo
Trip Hop

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 31.05.2007 - 16:21
So I just wanted to know if there are any other Trip Hop fans here. For those of you who don't know what Trip Hop is, also called Bristol Acid Rap, it is style of music based upon hip hop instrumentals with tempo changes, jazz beats, dark, moody, ambient sounds, and other instruments. It tend to be very lo-fi analog recording in nature.

For me, my favorite artists of this genre are Massive Attack, Portishead, DJ Shadow, Lamb and UNKLE.

How about you guys?
09.12.2008 - 18:05
Hamird
Lieutenant
Is Massive Attack count a Trip-hop band? If yes, then they are a great Trip-hop band; in fact the best I've ever tried.
10.12.2008 - 19:37
Stigmatized
Written by Hamird on 09.12.2008 at 18:05

Is Massive Attack count a Trip-hop band? If yes, then they are a great Trip-hop band; in fact the best I've ever tried.

If I'm not mistaken, they're the main group responsible for the rise of trip-hop.
25.12.2008 - 01:58
Gigginova
Account deleted
Wow I just discovered

Morcheeba

Nice tunes, beautiful voice.
28.12.2008 - 04:12
Talvi
Well, Björk counts as trip hop imo, so yup, it's cool stuff. Even though I didn't know Dj Shadow was trip hop, I always said he was just instrumental hip hop
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
28.12.2008 - 05:18
Gigginova
Account deleted
I've heard bjork and it doesn't have that 'trip-hop beat' .
doesn't she do one video topless? lol
06.01.2009 - 17:13
Elio
Red Nightmare
I listened Portishead's Third and cannot understand how this could be RYM's top 2008 album. Trip-Hop isn't exactly my cup of tea but this wasn't that good.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
06.01.2009 - 23:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Third is an amazing album, it is by far my favourite by Portishead so far... there is not a single mediocre song in there, and the voice is simply otherwordly.
27.02.2009 - 22:58
Talvi
I heard recently Emancipator, Saltillo and Massive Attack. All three very good trip hop bands, specially the two first ones, that have classical music with trip hop.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
28.02.2009 - 20:09
Galar
Wicked Mung
Dj shadow is my personal favorite. That guy know's what he is doing, not to mention he is a dirty drummer. Dj shadow is pretty much all the trip-hop I need.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
13.03.2009 - 22:29
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
Would Modeski, Martin, and Wood be considered a trip-hop band? or maybe its jazz hop. not sure. But i love those guys. If you haven't heard of them, check out the album Invisible.
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
01.04.2009 - 02:58
jizzlord
like a fox
I listen to a bit of Trip hop, mainly massive attack, portishead and tricky. i wouldnt really consider dj shadow as being trip hop, but he rocks!

Speaking of dj shadow, i hope you've all heard the albums he's done with Cut Chemist : brainfreeze and product placement
----

08.06.2009 - 18:00
Elio
Red Nightmare
Finally heard Portishead's Dummy. It's not bad but if this is the pinnacle of the genre, trip-hop can really do nothing for me. Still it's something I will listen every once in a while.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
14.06.2009 - 00:47
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
For me Portisheads' Third is much better than Dummy. I immediately liked 'Silence' and 'Hunter'. Later on I started to appreciate 'The Rip', 'Machine Gun', 'Small' and 'Threads'. Now I like the whole album, except maybe 'We Carry On'.

And 'Mezzanine' is up to now my favorite album by Massive Attack. Especially the song 'Group Four', what a great atmosphere! I love that one.
14.06.2009 - 01:38
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Twilight on 14.06.2009 at 00:47

For me Portisheads' Third is much better than Dummy. I immediately liked 'Silence' and 'Hunter'. Later on I started to appreciate 'The Rip', 'Machine Gun', 'Small' and 'Threads'. Now I like the whole album, except maybe 'We Carry On'.

And 'Mezzanine' is up to now my favorite album by Massive Attack. Especially the song 'Group Four', what a great atmosphere! I love that one.

Mmh. I listened to Third time ago and didn't like it. Maybe I should give it a chance.

Yeah, Mezzanine, I heard that one is a masterpiece too.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
14.06.2009 - 03:54
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Has anyone heard Antimatter? Their early albums were Gothic Trip Hop. Check them out.
----
(space for rent)
14.06.2009 - 12:46
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Yeah I know Antimatter! Almost forgot about them, but they are indeed kind of triphoppy as well.

I like their Saviour album the most. The rest isn't that good but Lights Out and Planetary Confinement are not bad.
I guess a song like Psalms is among one of my favorites.
14.06.2009 - 19:55
Graveheart
Antimatter's Saviour struck me really hard. I already liked the band (if you can call Antimatter a band) and that album impressed me even more when I got it. It's very unusual of me to end up liking the last album I get from a certain band so much I consider it to be my favorite. I guess it had something to do with just having seen them live and finding the album that I had been hunting for ages. Listening to Saviour brings all that back to me and it might very well be the saddest album I've heard. Songs like Over Your Shoulder, Psalms, Angelic and the Last Laugh immediately hit home. Maybe I'd go as far as saying it changed something about the way I view life and I can't remember the last time an album has done that to me.
22.06.2009 - 19:29
IronAngel
Personally, I like Lights Out the best. I wouldn't call it trip-hoppy, as that thing kind of stopped on Saviour. I love the gloomy and subtle atmosphere of the album. Saviour is my second favorite, no doubt. Leaving Eden is OK, but I'm not a huge fan of Planetary Confinement.

You know, Antimatter really reminds me of Akira Yamaoka's work on the Silent Hill soundtracks. Even the vocalists resemble Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Joe Romersa, if only a little bit. I was really delighted to notice that, as I love the SH scores but I hadn't found anything similar before.
08.08.2009 - 04:54
ArizhelKaltak
Account deleted
My absolute favorite Trip-Hop band is UNKLE (although I didn't know they were Trip-Hop until now haha). The song 'Rabbit In Your Headlights' is one of my all-time favorites

And don't forget Gorillaz, they are a really good Trip-Hop band, although not nearly as good as Massive Attack, who I love, along with DJ Shadow. Amazing music!

I have also heard a couple Portishead songs, but I don't think they are amazing or anything, but they are pretty good
10.08.2009 - 01:34
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
What about Hint with their album Portakabin Fever. A mixture of jazz, ambient and hip hop beats. The mood is relaxing and it sets a very hazy/dream like atmosphere... well it's like nothing i've ever heard before. Tough music to describe in its entirety.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
28.08.2009 - 16:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Cause Nobody Loves Me, It's True.... Not Like You Do.

Damn, this song (Sour Times) is my drug, I love Portishead and Beth and her vocals are so eeire and beautiful.

Written by Dane Train on 14.06.2009 at 03:54

Has anyone heard Antimatter? Their early albums were Gothic Trip Hop. Check them out.

Aye, the first two are really good, specially Saviour. After Lights Out the sound is completwely different being more deppressive rock, but good anyway, Leaving Eden is a really really good album imo.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.10.2010 - 09:35
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
*bump* Some pretty cool bands mentioned in this thread I see! I'm a big Trip-Hop fan. I really recommend Bowery Electric's Lushlife or Massive Attack's Protection (as somebody on this thread mentioned) to anybody who wants to start off with this genre. Another Trip-hop album I really like is Crustation's Bloom...

Of late, I really dig Emancipator's new album Safe In The Steep Cliffs and Bonobo's album Black Sands.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
21.06.2011 - 17:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=5080] on 06.01.2009 at 23:19

Third is an amazing album, it is by far my favourite by Portishead so far... there is not a single mediocre song in there, and the voice is simply otherwordly.

Kind of a late quote but I have to agree with you... I finally listened to Third with no distraction and Damn... There's some creepy and very unsetting vibe about that album. I've been to used to Dummy so it was a real shock (I really god one though) to discover that they could make such bleak and dark tunes.

And of course... Beth's voice is (as always) unique.
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.06.2011 - 21:29
Metal_4Ever
I love that genre of music and I always listen to Portishead especially their song "Roads" It is fuckn Awesome cover from "My Dying Bride"
21.06.2011 - 21:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Metal_4Ever on 21.06.2011 at 21:29

I love that genre of music and I always listen to Portishead especially their song "Roads" It is fuckn Awesome cover from "My Dying Bride"

...I hope that I read your post wrong because it seems to me you just said that Roads is a My Dying Bride's song... Which is not.

Also... I'm sorry but I really dislike they way MDB covered that song, killed the atmosphere and went from a sorrowful song to just a whiny melody with whiny vocals.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.10.2011 - 16:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I don't feel like going off-topic in the desktop thread.

Written by BloodTears on 13.10.2011 at 10:51

Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.10.2011 at 18:50

Written by BloodTears on 12.10.2011 at 10:51

Jokes aside, I think it looks cool

Is a pretty nice album btw, quite sexy music!
Sexy music? lol Which album is it?

100th Window is an album by Massive Attack, a damn fine album of trip hop by one of the main bands of the genre.
This is my favorite song from that album

Here are some other songs in case you liked what you heard and feel like listening to some sexy non-metal but sometimes even darker music.
Sexy
SEXY
Music
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.10.2011 - 20:40
IronAngel
Lamb were never real trip hop, because they lack that dark, acidic haze that characterised Porthishead and Tricky. However, they're rather close musically, and they have a new album out very recently. It's called 5, and it's quite OK. Worth a listen if you're into this stuff, though I don't honestly think anything worthwhile in real trip hop was ever released by anyone other than Portishead and Tricky. Even Massive Attack is very spotty.
13.10.2011 - 21:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 13.10.2011 at 20:40

though I don't honestly think anything worthwhile in real trip hop was ever released by anyone other than Portishead and Tricky.

Well, it comes down to opinions but in an objective point of few I would definitely say that Massive Attack music was very worthwhile for what Trip hop is about.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.04.2012 - 03:46
0rpheus
I just composed that song, I'm not sure if it sounds like trip hop though it's neoclassical:
http://soundcloud.com/akramjs/cascades-of-dreams
What do you think guys?!
----
I would prefer not to.
01.04.2012 - 11:51
IronAngel
Written by 0rpheus on 01.04.2012 at 03:46

I just composed that song, I'm not sure if it sounds like trip hop though it's neoclassical:
http://soundcloud.com/akramjs/cascades-of-dreams
What do you think guys?!

I wouldn't call it trip hop. It's downtempo and electronic, but it doesn't really have any hip hop elements, bassy production, sampling, rapping, and the beat is hardly the center of attention. It doesn't have that intense, sexy and acidic vibe either. Not all of those is required for a band to be called trip hop, but I'd require at least some of them. But that's good for you: no need to emulate a unique 90s phenomenon that all of the original big names have since left behind (check out the latest Portishead or Tricky, no trip hop there). Your sound reminds me more of classic Japanese video game soundtracks (and that's good, in my books).

I liked the song. Good melody, and you should try to stick to that sound even when you get the chance for better production. Obviously needs to be bassier, thicker and more organic (if you ever get someone to produce it professionally), but I rather like the retro electro sound.

I think the lyrics are bad (but I think so about most popular music lyrics). It's just fancy words stringed together with no apparent meaning. If you want lyrics advice, I would suggest you stop trying to sound poetic and lyrical. Avoid obscure phrases like "cascades", "valley of hope", "oblivion", "meaning of existence" and so on. I don't understand what you're trying to say. What are you running away and hiding from, and why? What are these forlorn passersby, and why are they captivated? Apparently, you (the agent of the song, not necessarily you you) have some love drama, but why exactly does that cause existential musings, and what kind of musings are they? Who should teach you persistence, and why? OK, you don't have to make everything explicit, but listeners cannot connect with lyrics that don't make any sense to them. Especially the first verse is very strange.

Your syntax/grammar is also rather confusing: When life kills romance, and you try to save some of it/Someday we'll find a chance, dreaming under the sunset. If you say "when something X", then we would expect you to follow up with what happens when X obtains. Instead, you make a vague, general claim "Someday we'll find." When dinner is ready, I'll go wash my hands. That's fine. But it's strange to say that when dinner is ready, some day I'll become a policeman.

Just write down your thoughts plainly and see if you can fit them into verses somehow. If you have something to say, then say it clearly. That's usually much more effective than trying to say it poetically. Most people just end up saying nothing. I think crude and honest works better every time. Your lyrics don't have to be pretty.

As for the vocals, they're suitably anemic for the sound you're going for. I would avoid the too obvious whispering towards the end, you might do better justice to the sound with muffled, soft mumbling. Whispers sound sharp.

Anyway, just some constructive criticism. Make of it what you will. Musically, I think it was a catchy, enjoyable tune. And that's the basis on which you can easily improve details like lyrics, production and performance.