Metal Storm logo
More metal guys than girls?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 04.08.2007 - 20:28
it just came to me right now, why are there more male metal fans than female?

the only logical explanation i can give is that girls are softer and prefer lighter music in general...
07.08.2007 - 16:47
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Muse of Light on 07.08.2007 at 15:46

And what makes you think in any way that females don 't experience stress? There's way more pressure put on us than on males - take a look in a magazine. Yeesh.

haha, well this is a whole other issue. you put stress on yourself by trying to conform to society..

but by the stress thing I wasn't really being serious, I was just throwing ideas around to show possible how abstract some variables could be that influence this.. you know.. not everyone thinks of stress when they think of metal but it could be a factor
07.08.2007 - 21:34
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Maybe it's because girls are more into feelings and stuff like that, while we guys are much more basic...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
07.08.2007 - 21:43
Muse of Light
Written by Baz Anderson on 07.08.2007 at 16:47

Written by Muse of Light on 07.08.2007 at 15:46

And what makes you think in any way that females don 't experience stress? There's way more pressure put on us than on males - take a look in a magazine. Yeesh.

haha, well this is a whole other issue. you put stress on yourself by trying to conform to society..

but by the stress thing I wasn't really being serious, I was just throwing ideas around to show possible how abstract some variables could be that influence this.. you know.. not everyone thinks of stress when they think of metal but it could be a factor

Actually, I don't feel the need to conform, but that doesn't mean I don't experience stress from the pressure society puts on me to conform. You follow?

If you don't conform, you feel the stress of it even more.

There are good stressors and bad stressors. Metal= good stress. Pressure to conform= bad stress.

Btw, bad idea to presume that people put pressure on themselves to conform...I don't really hang out with anyone who does do that. But again, it's because we don't conform that we experience more societal pressure.

I think we're getting off topic, but interesting ideas we got going on here.
----
"My past holds only pain and loss. I will conquer it by creating the perfect future." - Ixidor, reality sculptor
08.08.2007 - 02:09
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by [user id=18405] on 07.08.2007 at 03:30

Written by [user id=160] on 06.08.2007 at 16:43

yeahh girls were more into glam as K7 said. Woman seemed to always liked Feminine looking guys Just like how they were attracted to the Glam Rockers, now they attracted to the Emo guys. I like glam too, but for it's cheesiness and rock n' rollish approach.

I would rather say that girls don't like emo guys... Unless they are emo themselves... A girl who is attracted by emo guys is lesbian, almost . I am sure that most of women would say they prefer a tall muscled guy with a high rate of testosterone, than a frail, effeminate guy... But they do want them to behave like women ... "Oh I wish my boyfriend was more understanding.. more sensitive... more caring .." etc etc blah blah blah... And I don't understand that.

That's maybe why they liked the 80's style... Hairy long-haired men, playing guitar and riding motorbikes . Let's forget the super ticght leather pants...
But I think it was not enough to get them into Heavy Metal... so they just stopped at the level of Rock, Glam and Hard Rock. Heavy Metal... was just too heavy .

But there are so many exceptions to invalidate my arguments... I am one of them myself. And all I said sounded.. quite sexist. Full of stereotypes. I should have kept it quiet.

no it didn't sound sexist

I found it quite profound actually

But you know, in The Bahamas, there are dudes who listen to Emo themselves but no Emo guys so I cannot observe their pickup skills. I hope you're right though lol.
08.08.2007 - 06:44
Deus Ex Machina
Because we don't like big hairy men that stink of beer.

No....that ain't it. XDD

Little girls start out by being raised differently from little boys.I saw my male cousins and all the crap their parents would let them get away with.When we were little..if a cousin of mine said some profanity.They would tell him to stop it this minute and get mad but no one would make a big deal out of it.I can't imagine if i did.My mom would have been in shock for 2 days after that.She didn't even want me to get my clothes dirty while playing.I wanted to do but couldn't.The best example i can give you is when i pulled some stupid stunt when i was 15-16 or so and my dad who prides himself in not having double standards said -"Well i could understand your behavior if you were a boy." He later took it back and claimed he mant it in a totally different way but i know what he meant.That is just...it.Most people have double standards even if they say they don't.Metal is loud and agressive a lot of times.Songs are mostly sung by huge men with long hair and beards.I can't see how,or why an average girl would find that appealing.I don't find it all that attractive either.I guess what it all comes down too,because of our differences and also the upbringing..girls are not attracted to the same things guys are.And a lot of them don't even consider metal as an option cause they were raised to like random cutesy crap.That's how it is.
Someone raised so differently from you..in most cases won't like all the agressive stuff you do.
Someone mentioned stress earlier.That didn't make much sense though,since women do,even in developed societies struggle through life more than most men do.It's just a fact.But.generally speaking no one's more or less stressed than anybody else.We're all fucked.
Also,i don't appreciate the "Look in a magazine.No wonder i'm stressed.Society puts pressure on me to look beautiful" crap that someone also talked about.I'm not aiming at you specifically but to ppl who do this all the time.Yes,they overdo it but please oh please people stop mentioning it everywhere,and even worse-using it as an excuse- for random things you think of and with that giving them more power to ruin people's self esteem with unbelievably tall 20 something models with bodies of little boys.Like that's something to aim for in life

I rambled on different on and off topic stuff in here.Of course someone's gonna have a different opinion,yet i don't see this thread going anywhere.I don't think there's a way we could find a definite answer.You'll all just get tangled up in male/female roles in society,pressure etc.
12.08.2007 - 09:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 07.08.2007 at 21:34

Maybe it's because girls are more into feelings and stuff like that, while we guys are much more basic...

you put it very bluntly but I do agree somewhat where your coming from. maybe its why ive also noticed metalhead girls generally really like Opeth, Ive never met a metal head girl who wasnt a big Opeth fan. Its also hard to answer this question without sounding like a sexist generalizing dickhead.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.08.2007 - 15:33
Alex Smith
It's hard to answer this question... But I think that there are more male metalheads than female.
12.08.2007 - 19:41
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Doc G. on 12.08.2007 at 09:03

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 07.08.2007 at 21:34

you put it very bluntly but I do agree somewhat where your coming from. maybe its why ive also noticed metalhead girls generally really like Opeth, Ive never met a metal head girl who wasnt a big Opeth fan. Its also hard to answer this question without sounding like a sexist generalizing dickhead.

You're right. Most metalheads girls I know like Opeth, and gothic bands like Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation... But that's precisely why didn't want to elaborate, I don't want to sound as a sexist dickhead.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

12.08.2007 - 20:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Whats wrong whit Opeth
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.08.2007 - 21:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@K7
Theres nothing wrong with Opeth, Ive just noticed how many girls like Opeth. Unless that question is directed at Radatatagast
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.08.2007 - 22:53
Ilham Cotterell
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 12.08.2007 at 09:03

I don't like Opeth. I think you can say I am the first one now .
13.08.2007 - 11:23
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Well it's not like some females don't listen to metal, but I think that typically girls are supposed to be into fashion and listen to pop music. The "there are more guys than girls that listen to metal" theory is mirrored with pop music as more girls listen to that sort of thing than guys. It's just the way society operates. As we know of course there are females that differ from this trend, which is great.

It's also interesting to note that of the girls that listen to metal, most listen to melodic metal. I think it's sometimes the vocals that put them off. I know some women who are metalheads, that like metal, but don't like growled vocals as much. Maybe it's the aggressiveness of some vocalists performances or that it's harder for females to use this style of vocal. Also, some females find an attraction to bands that have clean female singer, or are fronted by a female or whatever. Maybe they associate with the fact that they are females taking a lead role in a scene dominated by males. Nice topic, anyhow.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
13.08.2007 - 13:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
In nowdays its not posiible tell anymore guys an dgirls who listened metal because in old days lette rjacket, jeans and such thinks was sighns but nowdays well not always
----

apos;'
[image]
13.08.2007 - 14:46
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
Written by Bad English on 13.08.2007 at 13:57

In nowdays its not posiible tell anymore guys an dgirls who listened metal because in old days lette rjacket, jeans and such thinks was sighns but nowdays well not always

Yah, that's true, actually I know girls that don't even have one band t-shirt but do listen to metal ^^. You really can't tell until you know them.
----
*All Blood Runs The Same*
13.08.2007 - 15:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Aylee_Bodom on 13.08.2007 at 14:46

Written by Bad English on 13.08.2007 at 13:57

Yah, that's true, actually I know girls that don't even have one band t-shirt but do listen to metal ^^. You really can't tell until you know them.

And nowdays even long hair dont meens ppl are metalhead, he can be a chello player in opera but hair like metalhead
----

apos;'
[image]
14.08.2007 - 04:26
Daru Jericho
I'd like to say metal is more marketed at males. For example, misogynistic themes in grindcore songs which males are more likely to 'relate' to than a female, and of course females may even be turned away from it. Many are. And then you get the violent and morbid imagery and so on. Obviously, some girls are attracted to it.

There's a reason why symphonic and gothic metal bands usually have a larger female following. The female vocalist. Bolt Thrower have a female bassist but nobody cares about them. Yeah, girls are also more likely to be drawn to the gothic image too.

Then there's the musical aspect itself. The heavy guitars, growled vocals, heavy (triggered) drums, aggression ~ it's all testosterone filled. I mean, check out mosh pits. It's rare to find a woman in them. But regarding my previous statement, girls are definitely more inclined to listen to melodic metal as opposed to the extreme.

So in short, as said before, females prefer the delicate. Obviously this is not exclusive to all. And to the person who paraphrased that metal girls aren't as concerned about their appearance compared to 'normal, mainstream' girls, I offer a big screw you!
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

14.08.2007 - 12:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Daru Jericho on 14.08.2007 at 04:26

I'd like to say metal is more marketed at males. For example, misogynistic themes in grindcore songs which males are more likely to 'relate' to than a female, and of course females may even be turned away from it. Many are. And then you get the violent and morbid imagery and so on. Obviously, some girls are attracted to it.

There's a reason why symphonic and gothic metal bands usually have a larger female following. The female vocalist. Bolt Thrower have a female bassist but nobody cares about them. Yeah, girls are also more likely to be drawn to the gothic image too.

Then there's the musical aspect itself. The heavy guitars, growled vocals, heavy (triggered) drums, aggression ~ it's all testosterone filled. I mean, check out mosh pits. It's rare to find a woman in them. But regarding my previous statement, girls are definitely more inclined to listen to melodic metal as opposed to the extreme.

So in short, as said before, females prefer the delicate. Obviously this is not exclusive to all. And to the person who paraphrased that metal girls aren't as concerned about their appearance compared to 'normal, mainstream' girls, I offer a big screw you!

Not all male likes grindcore, its soemthing what I cant stand, somehow its not metal anymore, old Napam Death and Brutal Truth ok but new core bands thay ehh not usefull discuss about loudness not music
Some ppl forgot there are such genre likes DOOm and Gothic where are art, poetry, passion, dark feelings of life and solitude and such thinks, and those steriotips when men metalhead shood drink beer, if he drins whine he are gay and that doom and gothic are for girls because thay always cring of broken heart are idiotic, I love DOOM and all thinks whats into it and also wine and I dont care what other says

I love Bolt Trower and also Runemagic has female bassist, its becuase ppl think old school are stupid, long hair isnt passion anymore and thay moustly dont care about old school bands like Bolt Trower, Sabbat(UK) and so on, seems I Richard, Marcel here loves old schoool bands hehe but you was wright about female singer, but also girls more listen such bands like Therion, Hagard too

I dunno how it was in 80ties then I was still small and stupid, but IMO female metalheads was even then, because Led Zep, Black Sabbath watching videos I see female fans there too..............................
....................................and groupies
----

apos;'
[image]
14.08.2007 - 16:19
Bulldozer
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 14.08.2007 at 12:55

Not all male likes grindcore, its soemthing what I cant stand, somehow its not metal anymore, old Napam Death and Brutal Truth ok but new core bands thay ehh not usefull discuss about loudness not music
Some ppl forgot there are such genre likes DOOm and Gothic where are art, poetry, passion, dark feelings of life and solitude and such thinks, and those steriotips when men metalhead shood drink beer, if he drins whine he are gay and that doom and gothic are for girls because thay always cring of broken heart are idiotic, I love DOOM and all thinks whats into it and also wine and I dont care what other says

Well, and some people love Grindcore. that's the way it is. If you love doom, does that mean that somebody cannot love Grindcore?
14.08.2007 - 19:17
Warman
Erotic Stains
I really don't know. Could be that it's more acceptable for a guy to listen to Metal. If a girl is a metalhead she often hears comments about it, and mostly not good ones. Metal is the most extreme music out there, and in our society is "girl=extreme" not a common or logical formula.
----
14.08.2007 - 19:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=965] on 14.08.2007 at 16:19

Well, and some people love Grindcore. that's the way it is. If you love doom, does that mean that somebody cannot love Grindcore?

Yes but moustly guys gow girls
----

apos;'
[image]
14.08.2007 - 19:23
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Bad English on 12.08.2007 at 20:37

Whats wrong whit Opeth

Nothing wrong partner, simply, as Dr. Rock said, it seems that every metalhead girl likes Opeth.
----

14.08.2007 - 20:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 14.08.2007 at 19:23

Written by Bad English on 12.08.2007 at 20:37

Whats wrong whit Opeth

Nothing wrong partner, simply, as Dr. Rock said, it seems that every metalhead girl likes Opeth.

I dunno why girls liike it but I because of music and incredibile lyrics
----

apos;'
[image]
15.08.2007 - 08:21
Fhuesc
I agree with Deus Ex Machina, most of the thing that someone likes or dislikes, has to do with the education that the person had, and in the occidental world, girls are tought to be Barbies. And for other side, metal its a culture thats not very accepted, and frankly its a little difficult to enter. If you combine this elements thats the anwser for why are less metal girls.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
17.08.2007 - 05:32
Daru Jericho

Written by Daru Jericho on 14.08.2007 at 04:26

I love Bolt Trower and also Runemagic has female bassist, its becuase ppl think old school are stupid, long hair isnt passion anymore and thay moustly dont care about old school bands like Bolt Trower, Sabbat(UK) and so on, seems I Richard, Marcel here loves old schoool bands hehe but you was wright about female singer, but also girls more listen such bands like Therion, Hagard too

I dunno how it was in 80ties then I was still small and stupid, but IMO female metalheads was even then, because Led Zep, Black Sabbath watching videos I see female fans there too..............................
....................................and groupies

Read my post again, please. I never said all males like grindcore. I also never detracted or made any mention of detraction regarding males and doom. I don't know where that came from.

Also, I don't think you're right about people not enjoying the older music anymore. Bolt Thrower are very popular, especially here in England (among metalheads, of course). And most metalheads I come across have long hair, so your point is quite negated. I was just pointing out that they have a female member and nobody creates a big issue about the bassist being female, unlike a female vocalist because obviously the voices sound different whereas the bass would sound the same (pretty much). It's mildly image related, I suppose.

Oh, and those girls like Therion and Haggard because they're both symphonic, which goes hand in hand (also, Therion utilizes female vocals anyway, even if said vocalists are not directly credited as part of the band) with other symphonic metal bands such as Within Temptation and Epica etc. They don't JUST love female fronted bands; Sonata Arctica and Kamelot are often well loved bands by these sorts of people.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

17.08.2007 - 05:59
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Daru Jericho on 17.08.2007 at 05:32
detraction and negated

Lol, you should know by now not to use big words around K7

I think you have a good point with the marketing and also Deus Ex about the education/society for young boys and girls. Don't really know if any further "answers" will be revealed
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
23.08.2007 - 10:13
Ellie
Account deleted
Well my initial reaction to the question being asked in this discussion is that metal is a male dominated genre from going back to its roots. I mean also think of all the genres metal has been influenced by classical, blues, rock and roll, exc. None of those genres have ever been dominated by females. Especially when you think of some bands that are constantly singing about drinking and partying with chicks. But anyways after thinking about the question I realized that that isn't really the answer that I believe. I believe that not only women but people in general don;t listen to metal because they haven't been exposed to it. It just so happens that more men have been exposed to it than women. I see a lot of metal chicks now though. I mean definitely not in my home city but I do see them every now and then. It's pretty rare that I ever even see metalheads in general. Anyways there ya go
23.08.2007 - 11:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=24489] on 23.08.2007 at 10:13

Well my initial reaction to the question being asked in this discussion is that metal is a male dominated genre from going back to its roots. I mean also think of all the genres metal has been influenced by classical, blues, rock and roll, exc. None of those genres have ever been dominated by females. Especially when you think of some bands that are constantly singing about drinking and partying with chicks. But anyways after thinking about the question I realized that that isn't really the answer that I believe. I believe that not only women but people in general don;t listen to metal because they haven't been exposed to it. It just so happens that more men have been exposed to it than women. I see a lot of metal chicks now though. I mean definitely not in my home city but I do see them every now and then. It's pretty rare that I ever even see metalheads in general. Anyways there ya go

Thank God feminists dont knowe about metal but I agree mouslt in such music like artists domain male, but female I think thay like it, but remeber how was women life in 50ties it was not so free liie nowdays
----

apos;'
[image]
28.08.2007 - 22:27
Vacuna
Account deleted

I believe that not only women but people in general don;t listen to metal because they haven't been exposed to it. It just so happens that more men have been exposed to it than women. I see a lot of metal chicks now though. I mean definitely not in my home city but I do see them every now and then. It's pretty rare that I ever even see metalheads in general. Anyways there ya go

I think this is a good point, related to what others have said about cultural gender-roles. Maybe we should still see this as a development in progress. Women are emancipated in many ways, but to reach the level where girls are exposed to extreme metal as much as boys, and where this is completely socially acceptable might take just a while jet...

My personal experience, though, is that i see more and more women at concerts, more and more who listen to the harder genres, and more and more in the mosh pit! So keep faith, we will get there eventually!
29.08.2007 - 00:05
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by [user id=3969] on 28.08.2007 at 22:27

I believe that not only women but people in general don;t listen to metal because they haven't been exposed to it. It just so happens that more men have been exposed to it than women. I see a lot of metal chicks now though. I mean definitely not in my home city but I do see them every now and then. It's pretty rare that I ever even see metalheads in general. Anyways there ya go

I think this is a good point, related to what others have said about cultural gender-roles. Maybe we should still see this as a development in progress. Women are emancipated in many ways, but to reach the level where girls are exposed to extreme metal as much as boys, and where this is completely socially acceptable might take just a while jet...

My personal experience, though, is that i see more and more women at concerts, more and more who listen to the harder genres, and more and more in the mosh pit! So keep faith, we will get there eventually!

Aww glad that someone agrees! Ya I see a lot more girls at shows too! It makes me really happy to see them. Anyways cheers
29.08.2007 - 09:21
Dan066
Account deleted
maybe it's because mainstream metal has a lot of "put those fists in the air" attitude towards it, which is more of a masculine thing along with the whole brutalness thing to it. Girls aren't usually raised in a way where they're exposed to that sort of thing.
Take football for example, in most families the parents would rather have their son play for a football team instead of a daughter. So when a boy sees a metal music video, they'll see it as really cool because it's not all sissy and stuff. If you look at things like moshpits and headbanging it's looks all tough and cool for boys, but not so much for girls.
I think I just have to say this now so I don't come off sounding sexist, not all girls are into fasion and sissy stuff, I'm just saying most girls are raised that way (like how toys for a little boy would be GI Joe and a little girl would get a barbie). And I guess most girls look at metal and don't give it a chance to look at some stuff that isn't total loud chaos, because maybe more girls will like metal if they see some bands that have some stuff that will connect to girls.