Metal Storm logo
Languages You Speak/Would Like To Speak/Are Learning

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 18.08.2007 - 17:35
The idea is simple... Talk about the languages you speak, and the ones you would like to learn. What are they? Why do you like them? What is that you don't like about them? How and where did you learn them? What is your mother language?

Personally...

- (As you *might* have noticed) I speak English. Not really well, but I think I can say I know the basis. But it is not my first language: French is. I don't want to sound pretentious or anything, but I speak French really well. Yet, it is the third language I learnt.
- My mother language is Arabic, it was the first one I learnt as I am Moroccan and was born in Morocco. But my parents speak French more than Arabic, and I started going to a French school when I was 5, thus, I started forgetting Arabic. I was still as able to understand it as before, but I couldn't speak it anymore, past my 8th birthday. (Some other important factors were involded, but it is not necessary to mention them.)
- The second language I learnt was Spanish, because of/thanks to Spanish TV channels and my grandmother, who only spoke Spanish and Arabic. But when we left the city where we were living (Tanger, just in front of Spain), I stopped watching Spanish channels, and left my grandmother as well, and then, forgot Spanish too .
- That's when French comes. It became my first language around 8. As the French school system wants it, I started learning English at 11. And I unexpectedly didn't have any difficulty with it. I have always had the best mark in that subject, without making any effort for that. Unfortunately it is still not enough. I realised my level was not as good as I thought it was.
- The next year, (I was 12) I chose Latin, but I had to stop after a few months, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to start Spanish the following year. I started re-learning Spanish at 13.
- But since I took Spanish at 13, I couldn't take German at 15. I had too many subjects and the teachers wouldn't let me add German. Yet it is the language I really want to learn. I like the sonority of it, and I watch German TV channels just to hear it, even if I don't get a word of it .
- As a consequence, the two languages I can speak the best are French, and English.

As you see the topic is vast, there is a lot to say...
21.08.2007 - 20:19
buki of steel
Crystal Ann
well,first language is croatian and because of that can speak and understand all ex Yu languages besides that i can speak english,oh yes and my home language (delnicki) which is some mix between croatian and slovenian with some strange words

i would like to learn some spanish or italian but im too lazy for that
also some finnish and irish

i dont count some swears that i know in that language
21.08.2007 - 20:20
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
Well I'm Spanish so that's my native language, and yeah, I'm good at it lol.

Then there's English, which I've been learning for 10 years or something like that.

I also studied French at high school for 3 years, but dropped it because of the bad teacher I had, therefore I only know the basics. Now I want to get good at it so I think I'll take lessons again...I still have my French notes and everything, but it's easier to learn when you have a teacher.

I'm trying to learn Finnish on my own, as there aren't any teachers of Finnish where I live :S I'm so lazy though that I can't make noticeable improvements >.<

Finally I'm going to start learning German at university in October. I'm really looking forward to it ^^

Italian and Portuguese are languages I can understand, but not speak nor write.
----
*All Blood Runs The Same*
21.08.2007 - 21:04
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Swedish or Norwegian, so I could live there later in my life.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.08.2007 - 21:18
Deus Ex Machina
I can understand all languages similar to mine, like slovenian for example which does have totally different words but i get the point.Besides...when i was little...i don't know why but i used to stare at slovenian TV channels all the time...no reason really...sooo now i know all the words.Besides that...i can speak English perfectly, i'd say.They say there's always room for improvement but i think i speak it well, and i can't see how i could improve it further.It's just...really good i think.I can't imagine how someone could say something in english that i wouldn't understand.I don't know.I don't want to sound pretentious but i don't think it could happen,and i learned it by myself.From TV.
By 4th grade...when we started learning it in school,i already knew everything that was in textbooks.I took english up until my last year of high school and learned nothing i didn't know before.Now,in college i'm taking English for lawyers and again...nothing new.So, as far as english goes i'm self taught and i think i did a good job
But of course, I'll continue practicing it as much as i can,still.Nothing bad can come from repeating what you learned.Who knows,maybe one day i do come across something i don't know!

When we got english in 4th grade,we also got German.I only took that from the 4th grade to 8th.I used to be amazing at it but lately not so much since i haven't been practicing it or speaking it at all.
Anything you say in german...i can write without mistake but i have forgotten some words and stuff.
But,i plan on getting a degree in consecutive translating and putting German as my 3rd language so i'll have to spend AT LEAST a year or two practicing the hell out of it.

Spanish.Also learned from TV,and took some lessons but i don't count those since it didn't last long.I had some other stuff so i didn't have time to continue.Anyway.I understand every single thing in spanish.But i'm afraid of writing it because i haven't been practicing that almost AT ALL.So if i ever want to be perfect at it,i must learn to write with no mistakes.My perfect speech fails if i can't write a random text without mistakes.

Japanese.I write in hiragana and katakana.My kanji is a work in progress.My pronounciation is perfect but i have a long way to go if i want to understand everything people say.A long loong way.But...it's better now than it was 2 months ago XD

I love languages.
And about languages I'd want to learn.I know it's impossible,but i want to know them all.
That's my impossible wish
21.08.2007 - 23:29
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
- My mother tongue is obviously Spanish. I have been living in Madrid all my life, a city where you must speak basic Spanish even if you are a tourist. Spaniards are painful at learning new languages for several reasons, one of which is that stupid imperialistic pride: "hey, ours is the second most extended language in the world, so everybody should be taught it along with English, we have done such a good job with the conquest of America!". Sadly, this is how most of my countrymates feel.

- German is my second language. I am more or less bilingual in Spanish and German because I was educated in a German school in Madrid. I can say I speak it almost like a native German.

- Then, of course, comes English, the lingua franca of our time. I have had English classes since I was like 7 years old and I am quite confident in my skill, not to mention that I read and write in English daily! (Almost all of my university books are written in English, for I am a Physics student, and I surf the Internet -including Metal Storm of course- every day.)

- After having had French in my four last years of school four hours a week, I guess I have an average level in that language. I speak an understandable but not too high-skilled French, and I can perfectly understand a conversation in French films unless it is rushed, dialectal and full of profanity.

- You may ask why I state that I speak some Norwegian and Italian in my MS profile. Well, fact is that Spanish and Italian are almost identical. Three years ago, I travelled to Rome, Florence and Venice with my friends and I brought a small Italian conversation guide which proved useless due to the fact that: 1) one of my friends is half-Venetian and trilingual (native) in Spanish, German and Italian; 2) once you understand the few grammar differences between Spanish and Italian, you begin to speak the latter. About Norwegian, well, I have taken two courses at my uni and got the best marks! Now I am able to speak about Flower Metal with a tr00 Norwegian metalhead or flirt with a valkyrie. :grin:

As you can see, I am a language maniac as well Anyway, I will have to learn Finnish and/or Swedish one day because I am planning to become a doctor in Physics in Northern Europe.

Written by APOHAKC on 18.08.2007 at 19:01

I know how to swear in over 20 languages, about 5 swears per language not very useful language some would say.

You should check The Alternative Dictionaries as soon as possible. Trust me, that website is gold.
22.08.2007 - 00:19
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
Written by Taktsekte on 21.08.2007 at 23:29

- My mother tongue is obviously Spanish. I have been living in Madrid all my life, a city where you must speak basic Spanish even if you are a tourist. Spaniards are painful at learning new languages for several reasons, one of which is that stupid imperialistic pride: "hey, ours is the second most extended language in the world, so everybody should be taught it along with English, we have done such a good job with the conquest of America!". Sadly, this is how most of my countrymates feel.

- German is my second language. I am more or less bilingual in Spanish and German because I was educated in a German school in Madrid. I can say I speak it almost like a native German.

- Then, of course, comes English, the lingua franca of our time. I have had English classes since I was like 7 years old and I am quite confident in my skill, not to mention that I read and write in English daily! (Almost all of my university books are written in English, for I am a Physics student, and I surf the Internet -including Metal Storm of course- every day.)

- After having had French in my four last years of school four hours a week, I guess I have an average level in that language. I speak an understandable but not too high-skilled French, and I can perfectly understand a conversation in French films unless it is rushed, dialectal and full of profanity.

- You may ask why I state that I speak some Norwegian and Italian in my MS profile. Well, fact is that Spanish and Italian are almost identical. Three years ago, I travelled to Rome, Florence and Venice with my friends and I brought a small Italian conversation guide which proved useless due to the fact that: 1) one of my friends is half-Venetian and trilingual (native) in Spanish, German and Italian; 2) once you understand the few grammar differences between Spanish and Italian, you begin to speak the latter. About Norwegian, well, I have taken two courses at my uni and got the best marks! Now I am able to speak about Flower Metal with a tr00 Norwegian metalhead or flirt with a valkyrie. :grin:

As you can see, I am a language maniac as well Anyway, I will have to learn Finnish and/or Swedish one day because I am planning to become a doctor in Physics in Northern Europe.

I envy you!
----
*All Blood Runs The Same*
22.08.2007 - 00:30
Ernis
狼獾

Anyway, I will have to learn Finnish and/or Swedish one day because I am planning to become a doctor in Physics in Northern Europe.

Unless you REALLY REALLY love the Finnish language, you should consider preferring Swedish....Swedish is a whole lot easier than Finnish....seriously....I can't speak Swedish nor have I learnt it but I have got relatives in Sweden and I've heard that Swedish is a very easy language to learn.....
Finnish...on the other hand....I don't know if Hungarian or Basque will beat it in being complicated and almost impossible to master......

I speak Estonian which is also an oogrymoogric language just like Finnish and Hungarian...I can understand bits and pieces of Finnish but I will never be able to speak it....same with Hungarian....I can't understand a single word in this language....unless I'm told that "hál" is "kala" in Estonian or "között" means "keset".....
22.08.2007 - 00:35
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Aylee_Bodom on 22.08.2007 at 00:19

I envy you!

Ditto. I wish I had your ability to easily learn and understand a new language. Whenever I attempt to learn a new language, I always crash-and-burn.
22.08.2007 - 01:17
Baz Anderson
Staff
well me being English, the only language I can speak is English because we arent pushed to learn any others - as we quite frankly can get by in life with just English - seeing as everyone seems to speak it these days

I would love to speak German though
I was "taught" German at school, but from a combination of many things none of us really learnt anything apart from the basics...
I would love to go and live in Germany so I can pick up the language some time, but I doubt that will happen..

anyone want to put me up?
hahaha
22.08.2007 - 01:47
Sunioj
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 21.08.2007 at 21:18

Japanese.I write in hiragana and katakana.My kanji is a work in progress.My pronounciation is perfect but i have a long way to go if i want to understand everything people say.A long loong way.But...it's better now than it was 2 months ago XD

Hehe, Ganbate kudasai! And Japanese looks very good your resume especially in media...I actually found that Japanese and finnish have some common traits. For instance, Nani prounounced as it is Japanese means what...now, Nani, pronounced the same way means nipple in finnish. I really couldn't think of any other words lol but in Japanese I think its funny how english words are mutated into Japanese words like 'Handbagu' ( handbag ) or 'Terebi' ( television ).
22.08.2007 - 02:18
Deus Ex Machina
Written by Sunioj on 22.08.2007 at 01:47
Hehe, Ganbate kudasai! And Japanese looks very good your resume especially in media...I actually found that Japanese and finnish have some common traits. For instance, Nani prounounced as it is Japanese means what...now, Nani, pronounced the same way means nipple in finnish. I really couldn't think of any other words lol but in Japanese I think its funny how english words are mutated into Japanese words like 'Handbagu' ( handbag ) or 'Terebi' ( television ).

I'll do my best!!!
You know what?I think so too.I was just talking to my mother the other day about how i can see similarities between japanese and finnish.Especially with the way double t's are used and pronounced and a number of other things.

Oh and yeah i think it's funny too.It seems they just added random o's and u's everywhere.I don't know why but i laughed so hard at "konpyuutaa" ,"beddo","teeburu"(table) and all that stuff.
But yeah..my favorite things are "terebi" and "rajio".lol
And i always find it funny how they easily mix up L's with R's.I saw japanese web sites that had the word copylight on them so it's nothing strange.They always do that.

Yeah i think it looks quite good too.Since taking tests to enter a year of studying consecutive translating is available only when you graduate from college,with at least a 3.5 average.I think that by then..my japanese might become very good.
It is very hard getting a place there.They don't let many people in.You have to be REALLY good.So they of course,allow you to give some examples of any other language skills you have other than the ones you chose.So i think mentioning being fluent in japanese might look pretty good.
I decided i'm gonna work hard at it from now on.I just wonder how long it will take.
I'm also uber worried about kanji.Like unbelievably worried.I'm scared i'll never learn more than some pathetic basic kanji that 2nd grade children know.
I'm being paranoid now but kanji scares me.The sheer amount makes me confused.But i do have talent for languages i believe so i hope it won't give me too much trouble in the future.
22.08.2007 - 03:10
Sunioj
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 22.08.2007 at 02:18

I'll do my best!!!
You know what?I think so too.I was just talking to my mother the other day about how i can see similarities between japanese and finnish.Especially with the way double t's are used and pronounced and a number of other things.

Oh and yeah i think it's funny too.It seems they just added random o's and u's everywhere.I don't know why but i laughed so hard at "konpyuutaa" ,"beddo","teeburu"(table) and all that stuff.
But yeah..my favorite things are "terebi" and "rajio".lol
And i always find it funny how they easily mix up L's with R's.I saw japanese web sites that had the word copylight on them so it's nothing strange.They always do that.

Yeah i think it looks quite good too.Since taking tests to enter a year of studying consecutive translating is available only when you graduate from college,with at least a 3.5 average.I think that by then..my japanese might become very good.
It is very hard getting a place there.They don't let many people in.You have to be REALLY good.So they of course,allow you to give some examples of any other language skills you have other than the ones you chose.So i think mentioning being fluent in japanese might look pretty good.
I decided i'm gonna work hard at it from now on.I just wonder how long it will take.
I'm also uber worried about kanji.Like unbelievably worried.I'm scared i'll never learn more than some pathetic basic kanji that 2nd grade children know.

Absolutely, there is no 'Ls' in Japanese, so whenever they try to say a foreign word that have 'Ls' that go 'Rr'...its hilarious! Also in finnish, there is alot of usage of the vowels, and as you know, pretty much every letter in Japanese has a consonant and a vowel. ( Ra, Ri, Ru, Re, Ro ) The thing that worked for me while learning Kanji, is to stick a practice schedule and span out the number of Kanji by a reasonable amount of months, or more.

Its tough, but once you start practicing regularly with cards or whatever, you will notice that many characters in Kanji also have segments or derivatives of other charactars to create a certain meaning. I learnt, about 800 in 4, 5 months? Hehe, you just have to look away from the massive amount of Kanji and take things slowly. I would also suggest getting a book on Kanji.

And Im sure you will do just fine
22.08.2007 - 04:14
Deus Ex Machina
Thanks.I'll do that!
I've decided not to rush it anyway.People actually claimed you can learn hiragana and katakana in like 2 days but i see nothing you could gain from that,except headache and forgetting it the third day.I learned groups of 15 for days.I really wanted it to sink in so i wouldn't have to stare at a text for seconds before i see it's a "shi" or something.
So that's why i'm gonna give myself A LOT of time for kanji.
The second i'll be able so sub some japanese drama or something.I'll know i made it
22.08.2007 - 04:51
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well, I obviously speak spanish, being my mother language. When I wa like 10 I started learn9ing english pretty much by watching movies with subtitles. That's basically how I learnt. then I made the last three levels and I'm willing to make the TOEFL test next year.

And I'm in level 4th of italian, recently started, and I can say I speak it pretty well. Not perfect, but I'm improving a lot.

I'm waiting for my next university semester to start in order to know the classes schedule, 'cause mom is going to pay me the french. And I'd really like to speak portugueses, it's so fast and full of "s" sounds. I'm pretty much into latin languages. I tried german, but it was too hard for me. I'd also like to learn latin, but I can't find where to learn it besides the university, and they only teach two semesters.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
23.08.2007 - 02:23
APOHAKC
The Bard

Written by APOHAKC on 18.08.2007 at 19:01

I know how to swear in over 20 languages, about 5 swears per language not very useful language some would say.

You should check The Alternative Dictionaries as soon as possible. Trust me, that website is gold.

Hey man, thanx, I owe you, if I ever met you, I'll buy you a beer, and we will swear on millions of other languages while drinking it
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
23.08.2007 - 10:17
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Hehe, you sure sound confident One thing though - why don't you separate your sentences with spaces?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
23.08.2007 - 18:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
I speak english and swedish and that's it. Wouldn't like to learn a new language either. The last 4 years of compulsory school I studied spanish, I pretty much sucked at that. Now I've forgot everything.
----
23.08.2007 - 18:45
Deus Ex Machina
Written by Syk on 23.08.2007 at 10:17

Hehe, you sure sound confident One thing though - why don't you separate your sentences with spaces?

o_O

If i sound confident it's because i have good reason to sound that way.

About separating sentences, i just...don't.
If it bothers you that much for some reason, i will from now on.
23.08.2007 - 21:28
Torelli
Wow, you guys seem to speak(and understand) alot of languages! I envy you!

Obviously I speak swedish and by that I also understand danish and norweigian(particulary norwiegian since I live near the border). I can understand french to some degree, but I can barly speak it. I would like to be just as good with french as I'm with english today, but as it seems now, I'm rather far away from that goal.

I have a life-time dream though, and that's to learn all my ancestors languages meaning swedish, danish, finnish, russian and walloon. I have the swedish for free and with that danish shouldn't be too hard(exept maybe the pronuncation). Considering walloon is strongly influenced by french, i probably should learn that language proberly first. What really worries me though is the finnish and the russian language, particulary russian. Not only I have to deal with difficult grammar, but also the kryllic alphabet. Other that, I'm also very intrested in slavic languages, espacially polish. I just love the pronouncation.
23.08.2007 - 22:18
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 23.08.2007 at 21:28

What really worries me though is the finnish and the russian language, particulary russian. Not only I have to deal with difficult grammar, but also the kryllic alphabet. Other that, I'm also very intrested in slavic languages, espacially polish. I just love the pronouncation.

You've really got to be kidding me right?! Russian is effing EASY compared to Finnish.....it's an Indo-European language which is in the same language family with Germanic, Celtic, Romance and other language groups.....I wouldn't say Russian would be more difficult than English....the only problem may be the distinction of perfect and imperfect forms of verbs or the rich vocabulary but that's all learnable.....I'd say English grammar is worse....the only thing I suck in Russian grammar is the fact that they whipped me at school with English and I learnt Russian for a smaller amount of time and it was badly taught at school.....otherwise....it's simple....nothing to be afraid of....
Finnish is from Uralic-Altaic language family and this one includes seriously grammatically the most complicated languages in the world.....some of them using the Cyrillic alphabet as well....

Cyrillic alphabet is easy.....

Finnish grammar is suicide.....I know it...because I nearly died at school studying my own language Estonian which is related to Finnish and Hungarian and I know that Finnish is way more difficult than Estonian.....
23.08.2007 - 22:25
DeathMuffin
Well, English is my native language so I can speak that pretty well French is my second and I'm pretty fluent in that. I started learning Finnish a while ago and got overwhelmed by the number of case endings and when to use them, so when I recently started learning Icelandic it seemed very simple in comparison!

I'd love to be able to speak Finnish and Icelandic fluently, but it's gonna take a LOT of practice...
23.08.2007 - 22:52
Torelli
Written by Ernis on 23.08.2007 at 22:18

What really worries me though is the finnish and the russian language, particulary russian. Not only I have to deal with difficult grammar, but also the kryllic alphabet. Other that, I'm also very intrested in slavic languages, espacially polish. I just love the pronouncation.

You've really got to be kidding me right?! Russian is effing EASY compared to Finnish.....it's an Indo-European language which is in the same language family with Germanic, Celtic, Romance and other language groups.....I wouldn't say Russian would be more difficult than English....the only problem may be the distinction of perfect and imperfect forms of verbs or the rich vocabulary but that's all learnable.....I'd say English grammar is worse....the only thing I suck in Russian grammar is the fact that they whipped me at school with English and I learnt Russian for a smaller amount of time and it was badly taught at school.....otherwise....it's simple....nothing to be afraid of....
Finnish is from Uralic-Altaic language family and this one includes seriously grammatically the most complicated languages in the world.....some of them using the Cyrillic alphabet as well....

Cyrillic alphabet is easy.....

Finnish grammar is suicide.....I know it...because I nearly died at school studying my own language Estonian which is related to Finnish and Hungarian and I know that Finnish is way more difficult than Estonian.....

I guess I'm a bit scared of the kryllic alpabet, that's all. I'm glad that it's a part of the indo-europian language group though. I do have head some stories of the finnish-urgic language group, espacially hungarian. So you mean that finnish is even worse then that!? Btw, can you give me an example of an Uralic-Altaic language that use kryllic? I 've only heard of slavic languages using it before, so I'm curious.
23.08.2007 - 23:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i'd like to speak:
japanese
better german
better french
spanish

i currently speak:
romanian
english
crap german
crap french

i'd like to speak jap, german and french better mainly because i rely way too much on english, spanish just cause it sounds great
23.08.2007 - 23:15
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 23.08.2007 at 22:52

I guess I'm a bit scared of the kryllic alpabet, that's all. I'm glad that it's a part of the indo-europian language group though. I do have head some stories of the finnish-urgic language group, espacially hungarian. So you mean that finnish is even worse then that!? Btw, can you give me an example of an Uralic-Altaic language that use kryllic? I 've only heard of slavic languages using it before, so I'm curious.

Mongolian uses Cyrillic....with other such languages...I can't name them all....

I amn't sure about all Finno-Ugric languages but I know that Mari, Komi, Moksha, Erzya, Udmurt and Votic....well...most probably every Finno-Ugric language except Estonian, Finnish and Hungarian is written with Cyrillic.....you know...Estonia, Finland and Hungary are the only countries in the world which have a Finno-Ugric language influenced mostly by Western European countries...hence the usage of Latin....all other Finno-Ugric nationalities reside in Russia...this is probable that the literacy was also brought to them first by the Orthodox church....obvious reason they use the Cyrillic writing system.....

Btw...there is also a Romance language which uses Cyrillic...it's Moldovian....it's actually connected to Romanian......They should be using Latin letters now....
23.08.2007 - 23:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Wow, you guys seem to speak(and understand) alot of languages! I envy you!

Obviously I speak swedish and by that I also understand danish and norweigian(particulary norwiegian since I live near the border). I can understand french to some degree, but I can barly speak it. I would like to be just as good with french as I'm with english today, but as it seems now, I'm rather far away from that goal.

I have a life-time dream though, and that's to learn all my ancestors languages meaning swedish, danish, finnish, russian and walloon. I have the swedish for free and with that danish shouldn't be too hard(exept maybe the pronuncation). Considering walloon is strongly influenced by french, i probably should learn that language proberly first. What really worries me though is the finnish and the russian language, particulary russian. Not only I have to deal with difficult grammar, but also the kryllic alphabet. Other that, I'm also very intrested in slavic languages, espacially polish. I just love the pronouncation.

Hejsan pratar du svenska?

Hhehe since Im spend here 4 summers 2+2+2+1 months I can guess and understand something, specely if I use all my german knowlage I can guess heheh so if I live here regulary I woud learn it easy and sweeds saw my talking are close to swedish talking heheh Luleå specely forest near Luleå are awsome hehe Valhalla are near, now I understand old scandic mytology
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.08.2007 - 23:31
Torelli
Written by Ernis on 23.08.2007 at 23:15

Mongolian uses Cyrillic....with other such languages...I can't name them all....

I amn't sure about all Finno-Ugric languages but I know that Mari, Komi, Moksha, Erzya, Udmurt and Votic....well...most probably every Finno-Ugric language except Estonian, Finnish and Hungarian is written with Cyrillic.....you know...Estonia, Finland and Hungary are the only countries in the world which have a Finno-Ugric language influenced mostly by Western European countries...hence the usage of Latin....all other Finno-Ugric nationalities reside in Russia...this is probable that the literacy was also brought to them first by the Orthodox church....obvious reason they use the Cyrillic writing system.....

Btw...there is also a Romance language which uses Cyrillic...it's Moldovian....it's actually connected to Romanian......They should be using Latin letters now....

aha, I figured that it could be in russia this languages are spoken. But to be honest, I've never heard of this languages before. So Moldavia used Cryillic letter!? Was it an influence of the USSR?(and perhaps the explanation why they use latin characters now?). It's sounds intresting regardless. Anyhow, I've noticed that you know quite alot about languages, have you studied linguistics or are you just generaly intrested?
23.08.2007 - 23:47
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 23.08.2007 at 23:31

Written by Ernis on 23.08.2007 at 23:15

aha, I figured that it could be in russia this languages are spoken. But to be honest, I've never heard of this languages before. So Moldavia used Cryillic letter!? Was it an influence of the USSR?(and perhaps the explanation why they use latin characters now?). It's sounds intresting regardless. Anyhow, I've noticed that you know quite alot about languages, have you studied linguistics or are you just generaly intrested?

Yeh, Moldavia was in USSR but well...so was Estonia...nevertheless, Estonian has never been written with Cyrillic letters.....
Most Finno-Ugric languages are spoken in Russia....most of them are endangered languages just as Irish or Scottish....I think only Estonian, Finnish, Hungarian and Sami are spoken outside Russia....all others are spoken in Russia with the exception of Livonian which is spoken in Latvia....I think Livonian doesn't count as a language though since there's only one surviving native speaker who's preserved in a village museum like some weird rare specimen....
I'm simply interested in Finno-Ugric languages since these are after all related languages to mine....I'm also keen on Celtic languages....these are rarely spoken as well....and generally I'm an anti-English person....I don't like it and whenever I spend time in a non-English speaking country, I try to pick up some of the basics of the original language....I was able to do so in Spain and Andorra(with Spanish and French respectively....I don't speak Catalan)...I also had some minor chances of using Irish in Ireland but it's pointless since Irish people suck at Irish....they suck major balls in Irish...they don't even know how to pronounce it correctly....I've got one Irish girl though in my MSN list, who speaks it so we can have more or less decent conversations avoiding English as much as possible.....
24.08.2007 - 03:36
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
My mother language is english (I am obviously an american.) But when I was little my dad had a Japanese learning program on his computer. I was always enchanted by the east, even from a young age, so of course I wanted to learn it. I learned alot of vocabulary and my accent is....well I think it's alright, some may disagree with me. The program though, was lost with the whole ever constant evolution of computers/hardrives, so I didn't get to learn very much. But I do remember it served me some good, because when I was in grade school there was a japanese assistant teacher. She was telling us about japan, and I told her a bunch of the words I know, she said "you know enough to maybe live there yourself" lol. But yeah I still remember words like Cohee, Inpensu, Tabimasu, Tabimasin, Kaze, Mizu, Wakarimasu, Wakarimasu ka, Wakarimasin, Beeru, Kami, probably more but it has slipped my mind.

Anyway, I also speak a little bit of spanish, as I took it as a class in my highschool. I love the spanish language, and the many cultures it encompasses. Some of my fellow metalstormers know that I can speak some spanish from past convo's you know who you are lol. I think I have the right to say, that for a two year student, I was pretty good. People in my class'd be like "are you half mexican?" But yeah, I didn't take it this year, as I needed to free up elecives for other classes. That makes me sad, but I hope to learn the language a bit more thoroughly one day.

I would like to improve and relearnmost of my japanese too. I also wanna learn Latin (because that is possibly THE most metal language lol), german, and maybe some Swedish or Finnish, just because that's where my ancestors come from, couldn't hurt to learn their language.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
24.08.2007 - 03:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I speak a little Spanish - I took 2 years in high school and one year at McDonald's. My family and neighbors all speak Spanish, and my best friends are Mexican, so I learned some from all of them. Plus, I learned a good amount of Spanish when I went to Mexico for almost a month. My pronunciation sucks real bad, so I try not to talk at all.

I really would like to be perfectly fluent in Spanish though. Other than that, I don't feel inclined to learn any other languages. Japanese would be useful though, since Seattle is practically a mini Japan, but I wouldn't want to try to learn.
24.08.2007 - 04:48
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 23.08.2007 at 18:45
About separating sentences, i just...don't.
If it bothers you that much for some reason, i will from now on.

Yes, thanks, it does help make things easier to read. I'm intrigued why you didn't in the first place though, is it something to do with Croatian?

Arian, can you translate those words in order? Did I see beer in there somewhere?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays