Metal Storm logo
Best Progressive Metal Band

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 13.07.2006 - 02:27
Seeing as Prog Metal is such a diverse genre I was wondering what peoples favorite band in this genre is and why. What album is your favorite, what do you think of this bands live preformance, and anything else you would like to add. My favorite Prog Metal band is Tool because all of their albums are amazing. My favorite is Aenima though because it contains most of my favorite songs by them like Hooker With a Penis. Although I haven't seen Tool live yet I would say it looks like they have a sick live show with their lights and everything else that's going on. Other favorites of mine include Opeth, Symphony X, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Evergrey, Shadows Gallery, Star One, Circus Maximus, Rush, and Dream Theater.
28.07.2006 - 17:44
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Hamird on 23.07.2006 at 20:05

The Best progmetal band is TOOL. no doubt ...

I think TOOL is experimental metal
----
28.07.2006 - 23:35
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Ok, I was thinking about this list the other day. Who are my, lets say, top 25, favorite progressive metal bands. And can I put them in order. Well, right now, this is sort of the order. I will have explinations up later if anyone wants to know why a band is ranked where they are. Now I left of the prog influenced bands like Sonata Arctica, Iron Maiden and many others, and stuck with the 'tr00' (yes, pleas laugh) Prog metal bands. I also left out those 'boardline' bands, like Spock's Bears, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc. So here is my top 25. Let the fighting begin.

25. Meshuggah
24. Angra
23. Symphony X
22. Death
21. Star One
20. Threshold
19. Liquid Tension Experiment
18. Circus Maximus
17. Kekal
16. Beyond Twilight
15. Riverside
14. King's X
13. Deadsoul Tribe
12. Porcupine Tree
11. OSI
10. The Devin Townsend Band
9. Fates Warning
8. James LaBrie
7. Evergrey
6. Opeth
5. Ayreon
4. Rush
3. Queensryche
2. Pain of Salvation
1. Dream Theater
----
(space for rent)
29.07.2006 - 01:03
Endoftherainbow
@Hemlock finally someone with a list of bands I agree with almost completely. The most I would do is change the top couple around and replace King's X and Angra with some other band because I've never really found King's X that interesting which may be because I haven't been introduced to them properly and I just never really got Angra. So when you explain your responses can you suggest to me some King's X to listen to.
29.07.2006 - 01:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dane Train on 28.07.2006 at 23:35

Ok, I was thinking about this list the other day. Who are my, lets say, top 25, favorite progressive metal bands. And can I put them in order. Well, right now, this is sort of the order. I will have explinations up later if anyone wants to know why a band is ranked where they are. Now I left of the prog influenced bands like Sonata Arctica, Iron Maiden and many others, and stuck with the 'tr00' (yes, pleas laugh) Prog metal bands. I also left out those 'boardline' bands, like Spock's Bears, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc. So here is my top 25. Let the fighting begin.

24. Angra

22. Death

7. Evergrey
6. Opeth

4. Rush

Angrs I know only some Angra songs and thay sounds like power metal for me
Opeth I dont think it belongs here
Evergray too, ok maybe if we dont lock so deep and 100% in genre borders, but DEATH

Rush - respect fro band, I love them all albums what thay criate, but probobly thay place are in Art Rock section somewhere in rock forum?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.07.2006 - 02:09
danzig111
Account deleted
i do not like Prog.........but however i love Evergrey! So i'd say they are the best!!!

i also listen to bands that mix prog into their sound such as.....Opeth, Meshuggah, Porcupine Tree, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius.....But i just can't see those bands as purely Prog so i didn't count them.
29.07.2006 - 03:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=160] on 29.07.2006 at 02:09

i do not like Prog.........but however i love Evergrey! So i'd say they are the best!!!

i also listen to bands that mix prog into their sound such as.....Opeth, Meshuggah, Porcupine Tree, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius.....But i just can't see those bands as purely Prog so i didn't count them.

Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica are powe r metal people pleae stop say that good heavy meral bands are power and power are progesrive metal
----

apos;'
[image]
29.07.2006 - 04:16
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 29.07.2006 at 03:02

Written by [user id=160] on 29.07.2006 at 02:09

Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica are powe r metal people pleae stop say that good heavy meral bands are power and power are progesrive metal

lol, relax. Incase you failed to notice, i did say "MIX PROG INTO THEIR SOUND"!....i know they are Power Metal but both bands have written some Non-Power Metal songs in the past and they are Prog Influenced, it's just they would preferre to speed it up and make it more happy
29.07.2006 - 05:10
Daru Jericho
Written by Bad English on 29.07.2006 at 01:35

Written by Dane Train on 28.07.2006 at 23:35

24. Angra

22. Death

7. Evergrey
6. Opeth

4. Rush

Angrs I know only some Angra songs and thay sounds like power metal for me
Opeth I dont think it belongs here
Evergray too, ok maybe if we dont lock so deep and 100% in genre borders, but DEATH

Rush - respect fro band, I love them all albums what thay criate, but probobly thay place are in Art Rock section somewhere in rock forum?

Angra = prog/power
Opeth = prog death
Death = prog death
Rush = prog rock.

So, aside from Rush, I guess they all qualify for this poll.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

29.07.2006 - 08:01
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Opeth, Mikael is just a great composer, Blackwater park would be my favorite album from them, alot of good songs such as Harvest, Bleak and Drapery Falls and there are great live, Mikael is a funny guy
29.07.2006 - 14:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Danzin111 no power metal isn progresive, I accept if you say Nightwish, but Stratovarois itts chhsey power metal, who is not sence, maybe frts 3 albums, but not now, and maybe last album, but not Stratovarius
Daru Jericho - Death prog death, maybe leither but not al carier, Angra I still think is power, ok then Blind Guardian be prog power :rollin: and I still thin best prog. band are Pschotic Waltz!
----

apos;'
[image]
29.07.2006 - 19:15
Xaphiris
I'm a big fan of progressive metal. Right now, I'd say Opeth & Dream Theatre are my favourite bands and the best progressive metal bands IMO.
----
30.07.2006 - 02:10
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Just to clear something up. Rush is considered Progressive Metal. They are credited as starting it in 1970. The term "Progressive Metal" didn't acually arive untill 1992 with Dream Theater's second album Images and Words. Yes, there were bands before hand that were recognized as playing some progreesive form of metal, but they were never actually given that name. A band like Queensryche was actually noted as being a founder of early Power Metal, and it wasn't untill years later they were recognized for their progressive aspect.
----
(space for rent)
30.07.2006 - 02:18
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I know absolutely nothing about prog, but wasn't Frank Zappa considered prog back in the day
30.07.2006 - 02:22
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Yes, Fank Zappa is one of the finest progressive artists ever. His style was mostly Fusion Jazz.
----
(space for rent)
30.07.2006 - 02:30
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Right, but I thought the term arrived much earlier when Frank Zappa was at his prime.
30.07.2006 - 03:12
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
No one really knows when the term itself started. But pretty much everyone agrees that the Prog Rock movement started with Sgt Peppers.
----
(space for rent)
30.07.2006 - 09:46
Aresius
Account deleted
whats wrong with you guys? you forgot about Spastic Ink...you know, the most technical band ever...Ron Jarzombek is one of the best guitar players in the entire world...Pete Perez on bass, thats sick...seriously, if you like intelligent instrumental music, well written and well played, you have to check out this band...

30.07.2006 - 10:40
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Written by [user id=12595] on 30.07.2006 at 09:46

whats wrong with you guys? you forgot about Spastic Ink...you know, the most technical band ever...Ron Jarzombek is one of the best guitar players in the entire world...Pete Perez on bass, thats sick...seriously, if you like intelligent instrumental music, well written and well played, you have to check out this band...

wow, these guys are pretty good...
30.07.2006 - 20:49
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I didn't forget about them. They just didn't make my top 25 list.
----
(space for rent)
30.07.2006 - 21:42
Endoftherainbow
Yeah Spastic Ink is a pretty good band but I wouldn't put them in the top of my list either. If you think they're good check out Liquid Tension Experiment they blow those guys away no problem.
31.07.2006 - 09:21
Aresius
Account deleted
Written by Endoftherainbow on 30.07.2006 at 21:42

Yeah Spastic Ink is a pretty good band but I wouldn't put them in the top of my list either. If you think they're good check out Liquid Tension Experiment they blow those guys away no problem.

oh what you're sayin dude is so wrong...Spastic Ink is the most technical band ever...they're way better than Liquid Tension Experiment, Dream Theater, and all these sold out bands...hmm, dont get me wrong, but as a guitar player myself I can see theres a huge difference between Ron Jarzombek and John Petrucci...oh, you're a guitar tech, well you should see it too...I mean, you have to listen to Ink Compatible...the tempo changes are sick, killer riffs from start to end, no gay interlude bullshit or useless shredding...Ron Jarzombek still shows his huge amounts of skill, but his brother Bobby, and Pete Perez, up the quality on their instruments...I know technique is not everything...I found it quite easy, after a few listens, to stop analysing the music and just enjoy the melodies and solos, but I dont know if others will be able to...anyways, Im not going to judge your musical taste...so nevermind

@Woody
wow, I see you're a smart guy
31.07.2006 - 09:47
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Written by [user id=12595] on 31.07.2006 at 09:21

oh what you're sayin dude is so wron
g...Spastic Ink is the most technical band ever...they're way better than Liquid Tension Experiment, Dream Theater, and all these sold out bands...hmm, dont get me wrong, but as a guitar player myself I can see theres a huge difference between Ron Jarzombek and John Petrucci...oh, you're a guitar tech, well you should see it too...I mean, you have to listen to Ink Compatible...the tempo changes are sick, killer riffs from start to end, no gay interlude bullshit or useless shredding...Ron Jarzombek still shows his huge amounts of skill, but his brother Bobby, and Pete Perez, up the quality on their instruments...I know technique is not everything...I found it quite easy, after a few listens, to stop analysing the music and just enjoy the melodies and solos, but I dont know if others will be able to...anyways, Im not going to judge your musical taste...so nevermind

@Woody

yea ma, these guys are great, reminds me of sleep terror
31.07.2006 - 09:47
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Written by [user id=12595] on 31.07.2006 at 09:21

oh what you're sayin dude is so wron
g...Spastic Ink is the most technical band ever...they're way better than Liquid Tension Experiment, Dream Theater, and all these sold out bands...hmm, dont get me wrong, but as a guitar player myself I can see theres a huge difference between Ron Jarzombek and John Petrucci...oh, you're a guitar tech, well you should see it too...I mean, you have to listen to Ink Compatible...the tempo changes are sick, killer riffs from start to end, no gay interlude bullshit or useless shredding...Ron Jarzombek still shows his huge amounts of skill, but his brother Bobby, and Pete Perez, up the quality on their instruments...I know technique is not everything...I found it quite easy, after a few listens, to stop analysing the music and just enjoy the melodies and solos, but I dont know if others will be able to...anyways, Im not going to judge your musical taste...so nevermind

@Woody

yea ma, these guys are great, reminds me of sleep terror
31.07.2006 - 10:37
Endoftherainbow
Tempo changes listen to the improvised song Three Minute Warning now to improv like takes some real skill. Also you make it seem like tempo changes are a new thing and no one else does them because if you take note LTE does them aswell. There isn't even half as many good riffs on Inc Compatible as there are on a song like Paradigm Shift were they take one simple motif and jam on that for about 9 minutes and I don't hear any useless shredding in there. When it comes to the other instruments you can't try to convince me Jordan Ruddess, Mike Portnoy, and Tony Levin can't match up to the fucking people in Spastik Inc the music they take actually takes talent and just isn't senseless time sig changes and trying to play the most technical shit ever because I'm sure if they were they'd do it a fucking hell of alot better. And also would you please explain how they are sell outs?
01.08.2006 - 01:53
KMR
Mine are following Psychotic Waltz, Fates Warning, Pain Of Salvation, Sympohony X, Queensrychee and at last Dream Theater (yea DT at last). Anyway dont forget about Psychotic Waltz, even if they were rather more recognisable by underground fans than mainstream.. They deserve to be there.
----
Nothing is sacred.
01.08.2006 - 16:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by KMR on 01.08.2006 at 01:53

Mine are following Psychotic Waltz, Fates Warning, Pain Of Salvation, Sympohony X, Queensrychee and at last Dream Theater (yea DT at last). Anyway dont forget about Psychotic Waltz, even if they were rather more recognisable by underground fans than mainstream.. They deserve to be there.

Psyckotic waltz yeah but there was prog metal abnd from Poland whit 2 albums and demo, I dunno if thay aer in MS, but I forgot name and thaya er from I think Krakow, maybe you know them, but I can mix town, it was long when I cecking them.
----

apos;'
[image]
01.08.2006 - 21:20
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Psychotic Waltz has become more famous ever since Deadsoul Tribe has been geeting popular.
----
(space for rent)
01.08.2006 - 21:28
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Hemlock: I agree....they're becoming quite the legend in the whole world of prog but that usually happens when a member from a previous band continues on with another band...his previous band seems to almost always get more attention for what they did to the genre verses the current band in most cases...
01.08.2006 - 21:50
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
And I too agrree with you. I think Deadsoul Tribe is a much better band, but it seems people tend to spaz about Waltz much more.
----
(space for rent)
01.08.2006 - 21:56
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well, maybe in ten or twenty years the music that Dead Soul Tribe provided to the prog music community will finally be taken into retrospect and looked at with the same respected reflection that Waltz was and they'll be looked at as one of the best progressive metal bands in their sub-genre vien in that specific time period of progressive metal music...