Metal Storm logo
New year's Goals

Original post

Posted by selken, 06.01.2008 - 04:38
I don't know about your country, but in most countries I know, people have the tradition of proposing goals, objectives or aims that you could go after in this new year. For example, finnish your studies, learn something important (to drive, to speak a language....) or change something in your life.
For example, I don't have any particular goals for this year except by keep improving my knowledge, what about you guys, do you have a special issue for this year?
31.12.2009 - 01:41
VPeter
To fully recover from my Post-traumatic stress disorder.
31.12.2009 - 03:17
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by VPeter on 31.12.2009 at 01:41

So...what happened to you that developed this if I may so boldly ask...
31.12.2009 - 14:10
Black Mass
To stop being so self destructive
31.12.2009 - 14:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by baldur on 30.12.2009 at 16:41

-quit smoking

the world would be such a better place if people stopped smoking(at least the people who just live to put tar in their lungs which makes up about 99% of smokers anyway, though if tobacco is one of your passions and interests and you actually THINK about what you're inhaling and live to try different flavors and whatnot, like a beer connaiseur would drink beer, then it's fine by me)
31.12.2009 - 17:05
Immortal
Written by baldur on 30.12.2009 at 16:41

-quit smoking

Ditto. I'll probably last about 2 weeks as usual though lol
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
31.12.2009 - 17:29
Baz Anderson
Staff
Well, I just want to enjoy the year. It'll be a big one for me, 2010.
31.12.2009 - 19:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
New year's resolutions are stupid.
One can also do all that stuff any time during the year.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.12.2009 - 19:18
Ragana
Rawrcat
Well, coming of a new year affects people psychologically - it seems easier and they feel more inspired to start a new life on some special date whether it's their birthday, the start of a new month or the New Year.
31.12.2009 - 19:40
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Marcel is being the party pooper again. Nothing wrong with setting some goals, it helps at New Year because everyone is setting goals to, helps to keep you focused.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
31.12.2009 - 19:53
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.12.2009 at 19:11

New year's resolutions are stupid.
One can also do all that stuff any time during the year.

Oh I totally agree with you....a year is ending and a new one is starting doesn't make anything official...and everyone's resolutions fail...if I want to do something, I don't wait for a new week or a new day or a new month or a new year...
31.12.2009 - 19:59
VPeter
Written by [user id=2084] on 31.12.2009 at 03:17

Written by VPeter on 31.12.2009 at 01:41

So...what happened to you that developed this if I may so boldly ask...

abuse by my father, teacher and children when I was about 6-7.
31.12.2009 - 22:28
MetallicA
For me:

Losing 3 more pounds (I've lost 27 so this will make 30 since last March!) and no, losing weight wasn't a resolution from last year. I started working out and it just happened. No complaints though!

Getting into the US Air Force as an officer. Not really a resolution but it's a goal that I have. I take the AFOQT on the 5th

Retaking Calc based physics and actually passing it! (working 2 jobs doesn't go well with school) and speaking of jobs, I need to find a better paying job or get a raise.

I guess the only other goal I have for next year is making it back up to Baltimore for Maryland Deathfest. I already have my ticket though.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
01.01.2010 - 18:25
Immortal
Written by MetallicA on 31.12.2009 at 22:28

Getting into the US Air Force as an officer. Not really a resolution but it's a goal that I have. I take the AFOQT on the 5th

Real good luck with that. I was a soldier in the British Army for 4 years, it's tough work being in the Armed Forces but if you enjoy it then there's nothing better. I quit after the horrors of Afghanistan a place you'll become very familiar with if you plan on joining any Armed Services. I don't know how it works in the US Air Force but British officers join to become either technical or staff, do you know what you want to do?
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
01.01.2010 - 20:57
I_Die_Often
Recently divorced, so I hope to be in a house of my own soon, rebuild my life and rebuild the relationship with my son that has taken a back seat over the last several years...
My son is on this site also and he is the one I attend all the concerts with recently!
What better way for a father and son to bond than horns in the air growling out Dying Fetus songs together!!!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
01.01.2010 - 21:22
Ernis
狼獾
Written by I_Die_Often on 01.01.2010 at 20:57

Recently divorced, so I hope to be in a house of my own soon, rebuild my life and rebuild the relationship with my son that has taken a back seat over the last several years...
My son is on this site also and he is the one I attend all the concerts with recently!
What better way for a father and son to bond than horns in the air growling out Dying Fetus songs together!!!

Oh, it's a dream for me...

Altho it's definitely not going to be fulfilled this year.... nor in near future in general... but I hope this will be one day...
01.01.2010 - 23:18
The Shape
My new years goal is to be more Canadian. Im going to move up north, build an igloo and go ice fishing ever day. Also i am not going to support my government, every second word will be "eh" and i will always say aboot.
That is my goal i wish to accomplish this year
----
01.01.2010 - 23:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by The Shape on 01.01.2010 at 23:18

My new years goal is to be more Canadian. Im going to move up north, build an igloo and go ice fishing ever day. Also i am not going to support my government, every second word will be "eh" and i will always say aboot.

but you HAVE to play hockey too!
02.01.2010 - 01:38
MetallicA
Written by Immortal on 01.01.2010 at 18:25

Written by MetallicA on 31.12.2009 at 22:28

Real good luck with that. I was a soldier in the British Army for 4 years, it's tough work being in the Armed Forces but if you enjoy it then there's nothing better. I quit after the horrors of Afghanistan a place you'll become very familiar with if you plan on joining any Armed Services. I don't know how it works in the US Air Force but British officers join to become either technical or staff, do you know what you want to do?

Thanks man! I want to do meteorology or at least something similar.

Yeah in the US, officers get payed alot more and there are certain jobs only an officer can get (like a pilot or a meteorologist) because in order to be an officer, you have to have at least a bachelor's degree. There are many who join as enlisted and then work their way up to being an officer by getting a degree and just having experience.

ps - what do you mean by "quit"? Was your time up? In the US, if you join you have to serve 4 years and then you're free to re-enlist or just leave (unless you're doing some special program that requires more than four years commitment).

oh and back on topic - another resolution is to not get sick. I made it through most of 09 without getting sick but when it got cold I got hit hard. We'll see how that goes for 2010 lol
----

In the blazing inferno
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
with no remorse.
02.01.2010 - 03:41
The Shape
Written by Valentin B on 01.01.2010 at 23:24

Written by The Shape on 01.01.2010 at 23:18

but you HAVE to play hockey too!

Well ofcourse I am going to play hockey!! What kind of Canadian doesn't play hockey??
----
02.01.2010 - 03:41
Immortal
Written by MetallicA on 02.01.2010 at 01:38

Thanks man! I want to do meteorology or at least something similar.

Yeah in the US, officers get payed alot more and there are certain jobs only an officer can get (like a pilot or a meteorologist) because in order to be an officer, you have to have at least a bachelor's degree. There are many who join as enlisted and then work their way up to being an officer by getting a degree and just having experience.

ps - what do you mean by "quit"? Was your time up? In the US, if you join you have to serve 4 years and then you're free to re-enlist or just leave (unless you're doing some special program that requires more than four years commitment).

Meteorology, wow! I guess there must be all sorts of trades in the US Armed Forces if there's room for a meteorologist lol.

Yeah, it's the same in the British Armed Forces - you can either join straight up as an officer if you have the right qualifications (of which I had none lol) or work your way through the ranks and become commissioned. There are a couple of other ways you can do it but that's going into a bit too much.

I did the minimum service and decided not to enlist for any longer for various reasons. Mainly because I was away so much and never had a chance to do anything else other than work.
----
04.01.2010 - 03:33
MetallicA
Written by Immortal on 02.01.2010 at 03:41
Meteorology, wow! I guess there must be all sorts of trades in the US Armed Forces if there's room for a meteorologist lol.

Yeah, it's the same in the British Armed Forces - you can either join straight up as an officer if you have the right qualifications (of which I had none lol) or work your way through the ranks and become commissioned. There are a couple of other ways you can do it but that's going into a bit too much.

I did the minimum service and decided not to enlist for any longer for various reasons. Mainly because I was away so much and never had a chance to do anything else other than work.

haha yeah there's alot of trades you can do in the US armed forces. I'm not sure about the other branches but the Air Force definitely needs meteorologists...to predict weather patterns for flights and stuff like that.

Yeah, I don't blame you for leaving then...you have to be able to enjoy yourself a bit I'm doing that now and I just hope I'll really like the Air Force so I can continue enjoying myself! Well, I know push ups aren't exactly the most enjoyable thing to be doing but you know what I mean
----

In the blazing inferno
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
with no remorse.
04.01.2010 - 15:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Irritable Ted on 03.01.2010 at 15:38

To be happy.

what was that phrase...hmmm... "easier said than done"?
04.01.2010 - 16:20
Immortal
Written by Irritable Ted on 04.01.2010 at 15:19

I'm happy at the moment as I am seeing the most wonderful woman, 2010 looks good.

Wish I could say the same thing. Lucky guy.
----
05.01.2010 - 12:04
FOOCK Nam
Written by Immortal on 04.01.2010 at 16:20

Written by Irritable Ted on 04.01.2010 at 15:19

I'm happy at the moment as I am seeing the most wonderful woman, 2010 looks good.

Wish I could say the same thing.

I second that and second wishing that too.
06.01.2010 - 22:31
..ExoTeaR..
To better my existence this year im going to buy climbing gear, Harness, spurs, ropes, and all the other things i require to become an arborist ive worked for an arborist since last febuary and i think its time i start climbing myself. thats all. and plus the moneys better then what im being paid as a second year gardner << pffft i shoulda just took up an arborist apprenteship to start with.
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
17.03.2010 - 19:23
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Ernis on 01.01.2010 at 21:22

Altho it's definitely not going to be fulfilled this year.... nor in near future in general... but I hope this will be one day...

Same here...With these astronomical prices...
But that's really such a sweet dream. Since we get along very well, me and my friend are going to pool our money so that we may be able to share a house, not so soon though...
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
17.03.2010 - 21:52
Ernis
狼獾
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 17.03.2010 at 19:23

Written by Ernis on 01.01.2010 at 21:22

Same here...With these astronomical prices...
But that's really such a sweet dream. Since we get along very well, me and my friend are going to pool our money so that we may be able to share a house, not so soon though...

Right now I notice that I have quoted a message "Recently divorced..."

Getting divorced is not a dream for me... hell no... but getting a wife and kids and home is... and a cat... well... a cat probably will be in any case...
18.03.2010 - 09:21
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Ernis on 17.03.2010 at 21:52

Getting divorced is not a dream for me... hell no... but getting a wife and kids and home is... and a cat... well... a cat probably will be in any case...

I was refering to "own a house" not divorce...That, not only is no dream but maybe a nightmare.
And if i want to wait for a family/spouse to encourage me to move to our own house, i may never have one (remember what you once wrote: It's said there's enough fish in the ocean for all BUT we're no close to the ocean...we're in the middle of a desert) so living either alone or with a good friend is allright as well.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
18.03.2010 - 11:28
Ernis
狼獾
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 18.03.2010 at 09:21

Written by Ernis on 17.03.2010 at 21:52

I was refering to "own a house" not divorce...That, not only is no dream but maybe a nightmare.
And if i want to wait for a family/spouse to encourage me to move to our own house, i may never have one (remember what you once wrote: It's said there's enough fish in the ocean for all BUT we're no close to the ocean...we're in the middle of a desert) so living either alone or with a good friend is allright as well.

I know what you were referring to... I just noticed myself that my post looked bit weird with the quote...

Well yeh... sharing a house with a friend for the start of it would be fine... it's somewhat easier than managing all alone...
01.01.2011 - 15:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Valentin B on 29.12.2009 at 20:04

seems the only point i didn't achieve was the first one, in retrospective it seems 2009 was a great year, didn't end as i would have wanted, but it's definitely been my best year so far.

next new year's goals:
-get a girlfriend(fourth year in a row lol)
-go to Wacken 2010 whatever the costs
-get an Erasmus scholarship in Italy even for just 4 months
-learn better German and Italian, possibly become fluent in Italian
-successfully gig with my new band, Red Unit, without doing too many cover songs..

Points 1 to 4: ACHIEVED, even some just for a short time and i have to swap Italian with Spanish. every year just keeps getting better, and i'm sure 2011 will be the same. la vita e bella

So now another year has come and gone, time for the goals for 2011 i already feel like i've started this year in great style, and with some major attitude changes in my life which have occured in the past weeks i can safely say that this is gonna be an EPIC year.

1.have more fun, be happy and have incredible confidence in myself and in my own strength

2.find a suitable girlfriend with a similar degree of sheer style and rawtitude (first time this is actually not number one on my list haha)

3.complete my bachelor's degree thesis and pass the third year with no probs

4.work out a bit more

5.give even less fucks when shit happens