Metal Storm logo
After Forever

Original post

Posted by Susan, 17.05.2006 - 07:45
After Forever is one of my favourite bands.. then and now! I love their musical evolution. They are very inspirational to me as a musician, especially Floor and Joost.

Welcome to the thread
09.05.2007 - 22:34
Elodie Artour
Slania
Well,it's your own opinion,of course.I just thought that he sounded pretty nice in AF which cannot be told for his grunts in Epica...

And,one other thing-of course they've imrpoved a lot.But it's normal because they're not a new band any more,nor a bad one.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
09.05.2007 - 23:11
Bitch Boy
@ Elodie Artour: I agree with you, Mark sounded much better in AF than he does on Epica, and I'm not saying this because I prefer AF, but Mark had a deeper grunt in AF, closer to death/doom.
10.05.2007 - 15:17
Elodie Artour
Slania
Yeah,that was exactly my point.I think Epica shouldn't have such a male vocal.
----
09.06.2007 - 20:50
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Personally I think that Floor is the best soprano in metal, I like her voice better than Tarja and Simone's tho they all are great vocalists

Yeah, and Mark did sound better on AF than what he does in Epica. Dont like Epica that much, I meanly listen to it because of the vocals which I find quite interesting
----
09.06.2007 - 22:11
Elodie Artour
Slania
That's right-Floor is the best!
----
18.06.2007 - 22:40
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Ok, for more that I love After Forever I think that they made a huge mistake by covering a Nightwish song. Nothing against nightwish, and in my opnion they made an exelent cover, BUT two bands who are always being compared and stuff.... I dont think they should cover each other (although I like Floor much much better than Tarja =P)

This is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC4oRqcadVk&mode=related&search=
----
19.06.2007 - 02:24
Ernis
狼獾
Does it just seem to me or is Floor really trying to sound like Tarja singing this song....I do like Floor abut this song is too Tarja in my opinion.....they should've arranged it a bit differently....
19.06.2007 - 03:26
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Ernis on 19.06.2007 at 02:24

Does it just seem to me or is Floor really trying to sound like Tarja singing this song....I do like Floor abut this song is too Tarja in my opinion.....they should've arranged it a bit differently....

It's a live cover, it's not like they are releasing it I think it shows off the band's versitility by covering a song like this so smoothly! I'd love to see them play it as a fun cover song when they visit the US in October And now that Tarja has left Nightwish, I think it opens the door for bands to cover their older material anytime without it seeming odd

@4look4rd , thanks for the link!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
19.06.2007 - 03:57
Bitch Boy
I liked the cover, it sounds really cool. And maybe Floor was trying to sound like Tarja (because it is a Nightwish song, by the way), but I think that if Nightwish (with Tarja) had tried to cover any After Forever song, Tarja wouldn't have been able to sound as well as Floor.
20.06.2007 - 16:41
Bash'
:)
Cry With A Smile became one of my top fav. tracks in my life !! what a lyric what a chorus what a song!! really brilliant .. I liked this album much much much more than the previous one .. if it sounded like Remigine I would say like Etain they lost me, but to me no this is an excellant release really ..

Am lsning to their Exordium
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
20.06.2007 - 16:57
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Watching this video again, I see that Floor passed Tarja years ago. Tarja is a really good singer, but she is not as versatile as Floor is. I think it would be very interesting to see Floor on Nightwish (just as a guest singer)
----
20.06.2007 - 18:01
Etaín
I didnt like her voice on that vid at all, doesnt seem to fit for her. The live version with Tarja is just so much more powerful and really draws you in to it. Didnt have that with AF.
20.06.2007 - 19:35
Elodie Artour
Slania
Before,I used to dislike AF's version of"She Is My Sin",but actually,Floor did a great job on it.

@Etaín:I agree with you.In my opinion,their latest release is also their weakest one. :
----
22.06.2007 - 15:35
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
A new video interview with Floor Jansen Joost Van Den Broek conducted by the French network NRV TV, has ben posted online at this location (interview in English with French subtitles).
22.06.2007 - 18:28
Lupas
Maximus
Written by White Winter Sun on 22.06.2007 at 15:35

A new video interview with Floor Jansen Joost Van Den Broek conducted by the French network NRV TV, has ben posted online at this location (interview in English with French subtitles).

Thanks for that . Nice interview.

But why every female band 's interview will conclude with the apperance of the band or singer ? I really don't know
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
22.06.2007 - 19:43
Bitch Boy
I liked the interview, especially when Floor talks about girls in metal
23.06.2007 - 10:03
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Bitch Boy on 22.06.2007 at 19:43

I liked the interview, especially when Floor talks about girls in metal

Yeah, and she refer that metal world was dominated by male. Also when she went with friends to a gig or show there where only few females . Now things have changed and there are many female fans like male . The world have changed.
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
23.06.2007 - 11:33
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Lupas on 22.06.2007 at 18:28

Written by White Winter Sun on 22.06.2007 at 15:35

Thanks for that . Nice interview.

But why every female band 's interview will conclude with the apperance of the band or singer ? I really don't know

I would love to see an interviewer ask some guys about their appearance and see what responses the band members gave But I think the women in metal are treated just like any other women now - appearance is important. An unfortunate double standard, but that's the media in general. Even the newscasters themselves are subject to female objectification I think Floor is right though, I see more women going to metal shows (without boyfriends) than I used to. It's still not equal by any means, but hopefully it will continue to get a better balance.

I think Joost's comments about the band's newfound musical direction are a good sign for the future, and they suggest the band will continue to play strictly metal for the foreseeable future. They've managed to stay highly accessible yet complex and definitely metal with their new sound... and while it may alienate fans of only the older work, it makes little attempt to appeal to the non-metal/pop crowd.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
04.07.2007 - 11:09
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
An After Forever has used "Equally Destructive" to provide music lovers with a stark reminder of the current, urgent state of the global environment. The track comes from the band's upcoming September 25 North American self-titled release and fifth studio album. You can watch the fan-video for "Equally Destructive" here on YouTube or here via After Forver's official MySpace page.

Edit (06.07):
FaceCulture recently conducted an interview with Sander Gommans and you can watch the video footage here.
20.07.2007 - 12:27
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
After Forver has posted a video diary documenting its recent trip to the Masters Of Rock festival (Vizovice, Czech Republic) at this location.
20.07.2007 - 13:09
Elodie Artour
Slania
Yeah,this video is awesome!I'd love to see them live one day.
----
15.08.2007 - 23:34
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
After Forever performed an acoustic version of the song 'Equally Destructive' on the Dutch radio station 3FM (Tuesday, August 14) during the final hour of the "Giel Beelen" show. You can watch the performance at this location. (Video works good with VLC media player ) Enjoy.
16.08.2007 - 04:50
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by White Winter Sun on 15.08.2007 at 23:34

After Forever performed an acoustic version of the song 'Equally Destructive' on the Dutch radio station 3FM (Tuesday, August 14) during the final hour of the "Giel Beelen" show. You can watch the performance at this location. (Video works good with VLC media player ) Enjoy.

Wow, that was great! What a fun thing to do, I hope they do more acoustic/unplugged stuff in the future

Thanks for posting that!!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
16.08.2007 - 08:20
Lupas
Maximus
Yeah, unplugged stuff is great
Most of musicians have fear when they do things like that , live and unplugged. Here they must have real talent to transform and adopt their music into something completely different. Also the singer must of course have a good live voice . Here Floor shows that she have a real good live voice.
----
16.08.2007 - 13:44
Elodie Artour
Slania
I bought the new AF album for my birthday,and I must admit I started to like it indeed!

EDIT:Happy Birthday to Bas Maas!
----
28.08.2007 - 05:05
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Why does the keyboard melody at about the 2:10 mark in "Dreamflight" remind me of the US television show "Unsolved Mysteries" so much? Am I the only one? Great song, irregardless. Probably too long to play at a show but... I'm hoping their show in October here will be worth the 7 year wait!
----
28.08.2007 - 18:22
Elodie Artour
Slania
@dismaleuphony:Haven't watched this show,but the song is wonderful,indeed.
----
02.09.2007 - 13:19
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
After Forever have uploaded behind-the-scenes video footage from their recent appearances at the Rock In Rades, Earthshaker and Master Of Rock festivals. You can watch the clips by clicking on the following links:

Rock In Rades (Tunisia)
Earthshaker Fest (Germany)
Masters Of Rock (Czech Republic)
04.10.2007 - 14:54
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Italian news blog Musica Metal has uploaded video footage of After Forever performing a cover of Metallica's 'For Whom The Bell Tolls', and you can find the video at this location (or here for a direct link to the video).
19.10.2007 - 15:44
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
After Forever have posted a video report from their current North American tour. You can watch it at this location.