Metal Storm logo
Best Thrash Band

Original post

Posted by Dreamwar_86, 06.07.2006 - 15:56
Thrash.. is maybe one of the best styles of metal there are many great bands from the US and from germany too , whats your favorite

so give me your opinion what band is faster,more original,more heavy etc.

for me Metallica they are simply brilliant well they were first 4 albums are metal classics

Poll

What band is better?

Slayer
Metallica
Other...
Megadeth
Kreator
Pantera
Sepultura
Exodus
Destruction

Total votes: 456
16.07.2007 - 01:30
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
1. Metallica
2. Kreator
3. Destruction
4. Exodus
5. Slayer
16.07.2007 - 21:45
Dark Tormentor
Account deleted
1. Slayer
2. Testament
3. Kreator
4. Megadeth

1 - Slayer - Masters and pioneers of thrash metal plus they gave birth to death metal and their lyrics and solos are dark and akward...SLAYER!!!! (eventhoguh their actuall stuff isnt the same as the old ones)

2. - Testament - Very influential in the genre very good guitar players and their lyrics dont fall behind

3. - Kreator - Ass kickers...eventhough their actuall sound is the same and isnt as good as in the 80's they still kinda got it !!!

4. - Megadeth - 'cos Mustaine showed that he could make it without Metallica and he even made a better band than Metallica and his still got his style
16.07.2007 - 22:29
natassja
Account deleted
1.Onkel Tom Angelripper(for others)
2.Necrodeath(TRUE Italy!)
3.Slayer
4.Megadeth
5.Destruction
05.09.2007 - 04:53
Nyhus
Account deleted
Megadeth got my vote.
05.09.2007 - 16:14
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I voted for other as I didn't see Celtic Frost among the variants, which is truly a shame as they were one of the most influential 80's extreme bands and they were a lot darker than most Thrash bands.
05.09.2007 - 18:29
king of fools
Account deleted
My vote go to kreator
Pleasire to kill to is one amazing album.
06.09.2007 - 01:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=23267] on 05.09.2007 at 16:14

I voted for other as I didn't see Celtic Frost among the variants, which is truly a shame as they were one of the most influential 80's extreme bands and they were a lot darker than most Thrash bands.

I would say Venom, are more influenced how celtic Frost, maybe not more but lil but Venom inspirated Root, Thoor, Buuldozer, also Kind Diamond, Bathory and so on
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.09.2007 - 23:31
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Let's see one by one:
Megadeth: Here's the best and the worst band ever. Let's talk purely skill-wise and not personal taste. When it comes to defining Megadeth, essentially their music is good, they have Dave Mustaine the founding member who is a good songwriter, composer and musician, BUT, singing is not really his cap of tea, in fact, he should or maybe he must stop singing. If you have their full disco, you notice that Megadeth has started to lose its originality after "Cryptic Writings". So they cannot be the best thrash metal act of this poll. Now Megadeth is done. Verdict :

Slayer: Holy shit!!They've got Kerry King and Dave Lombardo. Apparently Slayer is the perfect thrash metal act ever, but let's see who sings? It's Tom Araya. Believe me, this guy doesn't sing he just screams, and not bark or something, just screaming like a troll. So Slayer also can't be the perfect thrash metal band on this poll. Slayer's also gone. Verdict :

Pantera: They were the leaders, with Anselmo as a vocalist, Dimbag as a guitarist, everything was perfect, until they split-up unfortunately. The only problem is Phil, don't get me wrong, he's among the best vocalists ever, but he kept the same vocals in every album. A new album means a new style, means they have brought something new to the table, Pantera didn't. They can't be the best thrash metal act.

Metallica: What can I say? Firstable, I'm not a fan of Metallica, I listen to them of course but not to be considered as a fan (who haven't listened to them ). But here's the thing, Metallica has the best vocals, and only one bad album, which is of course St Anger...So finally, I vote for Metallica. thank you
08.09.2007 - 13:25
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

I would say Venom, are more influenced how celtic Frost, maybe not more but lil but Venom inspirated Root, Thoor, Buuldozer, also Kind Diamond, Bathory and so on

Well, yes, Venom were probably more influencial, as they were also an influence for Celtic Frost, so bands influenced by Celtic Frost were also influenced indirectly by Venom via Celtic Frost, but on the other hand, if we look at how much these bands directly (not via other bands influenced by them) have influenced the development of metal styles I think they are equally important, as Celtic Frost has also been an influence for a number of important Doom bands, whereas Venom was more influential to the development of Thrash and Black Metal, so to sum it up, I'd say I agree with you that Venom were more influential overall, but without Celtic Frost we probably wouldn't have Death/Doom, as for the most important bands in the Death/Doom scene Celtic Frost appears to have been a major influence (but, then again Celtic Frost were influenced by Venom, so you're right that Venom has been a more influential band).
10.09.2007 - 08:59
Ellie
Account deleted
Since when are Pantera and Sepultura thrash?
10.09.2007 - 10:00
Chaosgoat
Written by [user id=24489] on 10.09.2007 at 08:59

According to wiki(which I dont trust completely) they are groove metal and were glam metal. didnt see anything about thrash exept in the groove metal entry where I summed up that groove metal is esentialy a thrash subgenre. That to me means that it is optional to consider it thrash or not. I guess the thread starter decided to go for the former choice whereas I would go for the later.
10.09.2007 - 14:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

And what genre thay shood be

Pantera are thrash maybe not like Bay Area, but its Thrash and Sepultura first albums was death metal, secend thrash/death and then thay wa sthrash, but when Max left thay cnahge style, by 'Beneth The Remains' and ok you can watch all videos in Metalstorm and you see its thrash!
----

apos;'
[image]
10.09.2007 - 18:57
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 10.09.2007 at 14:27

Pantera are thrash maybe not like Bay Area, but its Thrash and Sepultura first albums was death metal, secend thrash/death and then thay wa sthrash, but when Max left thay cnahge style, by 'Beneth The Remains' and ok you can watch all videos in Metalstorm and you see its thrash!

Okay well to me Pantera has always been glam/power/nu metal and Sepultura has always been death metal. I have both band's entire discography and that is what I hear.
10.09.2007 - 19:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=24489] on 10.09.2007 at 18:57

Okay well to me Pantera has always been glam/power/nu metal and Sepultura has always been death metal. I have both band's entire discography and that is what I hear.

Pantera have always been glam/power and later on thrash, no nu metal anywhere whatsoever. As for Sepultutra they have NEVER been death metal at the start they were thrash and that morphed into some sort of nu-metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2007 - 19:11
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Chaosgoat on 10.09.2007 at 10:00

According to wiki(which I dont trust completely) they are groove metal and were glam metal. didnt see anything about thrash exept in the groove metal entry where I summed up that groove metal is esentialy a thrash subgenre. That to me means that it is optional to consider it thrash or not. I guess the thread starter decided to go for the former choice whereas I would go for the later.

Oh okay..thanks for checking. Ya I would never refer to either band as thrash metal..but I guess that's just me
10.09.2007 - 19:12
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2007 at 19:06

Written by [user id=24489] on 10.09.2007 at 18:57

Pantera have always been glam/power and later on thrash, no nu metal anywhere whatsoever. As for Sepultutra they have NEVER been death metal at the start they were thrash and that morphed into some sort of nu-metal

Well that's your opinion and I have mine.
10.09.2007 - 19:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
this has nothing to do with opinion, it's all about fact. About the characteristics of subgenres.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2007 - 19:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2007 at 19:18

this has nothing to do with opinion, it's all about fact. About the characteristics of subgenres.

I saw in VH1 that Pantera in early begining play glam rock like Motley Crue, but those what I had hear are thrash does thay recordet something like glam?
How is firts album Power Metal?

@Ellie if sepultura are death, then we can say Cannibal Corpse are thrash and early Paradise Lost are thrash/doom ...
----

apos;'
[image]
10.09.2007 - 22:19
Inlé
Other - Artillery, both influentual to the genre (that first demo is thrash from 1982 so one of the pioneers for sure!) and a fantastic all round band.

Behind them would be the likes of Intruder, Exhorder, Laaz Rockit, Exodus
10.09.2007 - 23:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Inlé on 10.09.2007 at 22:19

Other - Artillery, both influentual to the genre (that first demo is thrash from 1982 so one of the pioneers for sure!) and a fantastic all round band.

Thank's for mention that band, realy good and soemtimes I think Artilery, Coroner and Sabbat are best Thrash bands from Europe
----

apos;'
[image]
10.09.2007 - 23:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 10.09.2007 at 23:21

Thank's for mention that band, realy good and soemtimes I think Artilery, Coroner and Sabbat are best Thrash bands from Europe

They ARE the best thrash bands from Europe IMO, much much better than the overrated, in my eyes at least, Kreator, Destruction, Sodom.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2007 - 23:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2007 at 23:32

They ARE the best thrash bands from Europe IMO, much much better than the overrated, in my eyes at least, Kreator, Destruction, Sodom.

Yes but there are some more one CD bands what I had hera in vibrations, but those 3 are awsome bands duno better but overated like Kreator, Destruction and Sodom, I dunno what ppl find there only good think in those bands are thay play in 80ties and some 80ties albums are posible listen, but not like mastepieces of UK, Dan and Swiss
----

apos;'
[image]
10.09.2007 - 23:39
Chaosgoat
Written by Bad English on 10.09.2007 at 19:42

I saw in VH1 that Pantera in early begining play glam rock like Motley Crue, but those what I had hear are thrash does thay recordet something like glam?

@Ellie if sepultura are death, then we can say Cannibal Corpse are thrash and early Paradise Lost are thrash/doom ...

Early Sepultura was thrash metal, with some death metal influences. Just because a band is influenced by a genre doesnt mean that it is that genre.
10.09.2007 - 23:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Chaosgoat on 10.09.2007 at 23:39

Early Sepultura was thrash metal, with some death metal influences. Just because a band is influenced by a genre doesnt mean that it is that genre.

I know what was early Sepultura but have you ever hear thrash/death metal and if thrash/death dont exist how can exist death/doom?

And Im bored discuss genre thinks
----

apos;'
[image]
11.09.2007 - 00:07
Chaosgoat
Written by Bad English on 10.09.2007 at 23:52

Written by Chaosgoat on 10.09.2007 at 23:39

I know what was early Sepultura but have you ever hear thrash/death metal and if thrash/death dont exist how can exist death/doom?

And Im bored discuss genre thinks

Yes I have heard thrash/death metal. IMO there isnt enough death in sepultura to call them thrash/death.
11.09.2007 - 00:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Lichspawn then lsiten early Nocturnus, Morbid Angel, pl who know modern day death dont know much about that time that time death wasnt so death how ist nowdays
----

apos;'
[image]
11.09.2007 - 00:26
Inlé

lol that's ok, they are a firm favourite after all. And damn I can't believe I forgot Coroner, Punishment for Decadence! \m/

I kind of agree with Marcels overrated list too, maybe with Destruction being borderline/the least so of the 3. It's not as if these bands are hyped, they are just standard well known bands that most thrash fans like, if people say they like thrash Kreator is usually one of the first mentioned bands. I do like all three myself though =]

And I'm not even going to touch Sepulturas-genre discussions. lol.
11.09.2007 - 00:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Desctrution relisead only one good record it was firts EP, only EP original EP not remastered!
----

apos;'
[image]
16.09.2007 - 01:13
Fane
Sodom! Their albums just are masterpieces, one after one. Listen Masquerade In Blood or Get what you deserve and you should understand =P
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
16.09.2007 - 01:24
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
I was sad to see not much praise for Pantera. But thewn again can you really qualify them as thrash?
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something