Metal Storm logo
Favorite guitar solo

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 20.08.2006 - 19:25
This isn't about the best guitar solo, but your favorite one, and explain why it's your fav.

Mine is the one of Fatal Tragedy (Dream Theater). It may not be Petrucci's best, but I love it because it begins quite powerful, then he plays some sort of different "extracts", and finally that amazing progression until the end of the song.
15.06.2009 - 16:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Gamma Ray - Real World (live), almost perfect, and the sound quality is A+
21.06.2009 - 02:35
Doomed
Account deleted
Ithere 2 special solos 4 me
the first is : Kronos -suffocate the ignorant
ispite that it is simple but it's like , the solo tells u that the story is over between odepus and sphinx
bcoz the song is telling a tale about them

and the secon one is : Death - Bite the pain
coz it's the most pefect solo i have ever heared
18.02.2010 - 17:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Pantera-Domination
greatest tapping solo ever... goes on forever
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.02.2010 - 09:33
Gobobbles
Account deleted
Orphaned Land - "Mabool, Pt. 3: The Storm Still Rages Inside"...the whole second half of the song has a solo played over it...and it's great

...Devin Townsend's solo on "Deep Peace" was my fav for a long time
17.04.2010 - 19:16
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
My fav. solo is:

"Tornado of Souls"
-Megadeth (Marty Friedman)
-Rust in Peace Album
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
17.04.2010 - 19:38
Heretic
Orphaned land - storm still rages inside
orphaned land - ocean land
17.04.2010 - 19:42
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
It's really hard for me to pick my favorite solo, but the one I'm thinking of at the moment would be the one from the Morbid Angel song 'Summoning Redemption', mostly for how epic it sounds.
17.04.2010 - 20:03
Don Martin
le fu-
Disembowel by Autopsy has a solo soaked in wah and played so fucking fast. It's great Danny Coralles and Eric Cutler are the best guitarists ever IMHO.
----
What a tackastrophe!
18.04.2010 - 14:36
Roro
Arch enemy : Bridge Of Destiny
Myrath : Silent Cries
19.04.2010 - 12:23
Archetype

It's nothing fast or excessive but it's just so well written that it works and has feeling and also adds to the atmosphere of the song.

Gary Moore's 'The Loner' comes in as a close second. I really like Gary's tone in this song and there's just something about the way the song flows...
29.04.2010 - 07:40
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Easy Dream Theater - Voices
----
Stay Metal !!!
29.04.2010 - 17:11
adean_bllzr
Metallica - Creeping Death
----
"Eternity.....a gift I no longer want"
Novembers Doom
09.05.2010 - 10:35
Roro
How did i forget!
one of my fav. solo is Give in to me - Michael Jackson
13.05.2010 - 19:58
SerratedSyringe
Skeletonwitch has a whole bunch of great solos.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
17.05.2010 - 13:18
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Europe - The Final Countdown
----
Stay Metal !!!
17.05.2010 - 15:14
Edmund Fogg
Joe Satriani Surfin With The Alien-Joe Satrani.That piece is so well writenn and so groovy it makes me stand up and dance or do airguitar everytime I listen to it.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
30.05.2010 - 21:01
arwestromen
Adrian smith's solo in Wasted years fits so well into the song IMO
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
03.06.2010 - 19:34
HugeTheConqeror
David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - "Comfortably Numb" Truly a materpiece - emotive and evocative. I wholeheartedly agree with everyone who has so far called this one out.

Alex Lifeson (Rush) - "Limelight" Someone called Alex out by name, but didn't mention a specific song. Alex also mentioned this one as his favorite in a recent interview for Guitar Player magazine. Not the most technical, but certainly the most moody. It fits the song perfectly, and stays in your head.

Randy Rhodes (Ozzy Osbourne) - "Revelation (Mother Earth)" This one builds perfectly on the song, bringing something that was slow and epic into something loud and frantic. It pushed the song to a crescendo, and makes this song one of the most memorable and, unfortunately, underrated, on this album.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
10.06.2010 - 00:50
Ankh Amen
Account deleted
In Flames - December Flower
Extremely melodic.
12.06.2010 - 07:48
doomvendor
I can't claim to have heard too many metal solos (hey, I'm new to metal) but my personal favorite that I HAVE heard are the solos in Iron Maiden's "Pachendale". To me these solo perfectly encapsualte the passion that had been building in the song and bare it all out. They sound beautiful to me.
02.07.2010 - 06:43
MetalFist
Account deleted
My Favourite Solo's are:

1. Metallica - Ride The Lightning

2. Van Halen - Eruption

3. Slayer - Angel Of Death

4. Megadeth - Poison Was The Cure

These Are My Favourite's, In Order.
04.07.2010 - 08:12
Gummingurru
Adrian smith(Iron Maiden)- Wasted years
07.07.2010 - 13:56
assassinazer
Metallica - Master of Puppets
07.07.2010 - 18:48
Metalmunky17
One of my favorites would have to be She-Wolf, by Mustaine/Friedman (Megadeth). its so catchy and its a great example of trade off solos and musicianship
10.07.2010 - 16:02
Behdaad
DEAD
Can I choose a live one?
The solo of "Hollow Years" by John Petrucci (Dream Theater) in Budokan really kicks ass.

I love it.

And of course, the song "Descending" by Saturnus is a good one too.
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
11.07.2010 - 18:50
His Eminence
Account deleted
I have a lot of favorites, but if I had to pick my top of all time at the moment it would probably be "Another Day" off of Dream Theater's Images & Words.
29.07.2010 - 12:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Archetype on 19.04.2010 at 12:23

It's nothing fast or excessive but it's just so well written that it works and has feeling and also adds to the atmosphere of the song.

Agreed, that solo is awesome! Im not even a fan of Pink Floyd, and I remember when I was a kid, being bored when I was up in my cousin's house, and I had to listen to them. lol But when "Comfortably Numb" came on, I instantly loved it, and when the solo appeared I was just mesmerised. Im still not really a fan of Floyd, but I still love that solo, and still remember the first time I heard it at around 12/13 years old.

As for my favourite guitar solo, thats incredibly hard for me to answer. As there's so many I love.

But if I was absolutely pushed, Id probably go for Glenn Tipton's solo in "Beyond The Realms Of Death". It just drips emotion, and despite the countless times Ive heard it, Im still brought to tears when I listen to it. There are other solos that bring out emotion in me, but that one is the ultimate! A truly magical solo. <33
30.07.2010 - 06:23
snipo101
Dies Irae- Rage

What I love about this most of all is that it's an actual guitar solo. As in, none of that rhythm guitar in the background. It's also the only solo I've ever heard complemented so perfectly by the bass and guitar. As for the solo itself, it's not excessively long or complicated either, and fits the mood of the song perfectly.
02.08.2010 - 00:14
Too many to choose from..But:
1.Holy Wars(Marty Friedman)
2.Hangar18(Dave Mustaine)
3.Master Of Puppets(Kirk hammett)
4.One(Kirk Hammett)
5.Born(Jeff Loomis)
6.The River Dragon(Jeff Loomis)
7.Cowboys From Hell(Dymbag Darrel)
8.Mr.Crowley(Randy Rhoads)
9.Sixpounder(Alexi Laiho)
10.Wasted Years(Adrian Smith)

Best Choice:...I Prefer Holy Wars!'cause it starts perfect...THIS SOLO IS AWESOME!Speed-Technicality-Feeling...Everything!This Solo Is a Masterpiece!
----
Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known
31.08.2010 - 13:46
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
No one mentioned the solo on Rush's YYZ by Alex Lifeson. A totally sick solo rhythmically; very melodic and emotional at the same time. A must listen!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy