Metal Storm logo
The Drone Thread

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 31.01.2008 - 17:58
Finally what we always wanted, the ultimate thread about Drone. I figured since most of the Drone-related threads die a quick and painless death, somebody should do something about it!

So discuss Drone in all it's forms and shapes here, for it is a great genre. Let me start with some of my fav. bands:

The Angelic Process: Due to their nature of Drone/Doom and their awesomeness, I've included them in here. "Weighing Souls With Sand" was a frikking masterpiece and their "Coma Waering" is great too. Absolutely amazing stuff, in my opinion, though I might have overplayed it a little. Full review here..

Hjarnidaudi: Another amazing band. Their (his) debut album will schorch your balls off, so much heat is present on this album. One of my favourite bands atm and certainly one of my most-played. Full review here..

Hlidolf: The former version of Hjarnidaudi. Same dude, different music. The only album, V01D", is a collosal astral space trip, and a long one too. Seventy minutes of pure void-music, hard to digest, but good.

Furthermore I have ordered two more Drone albums, which I cannot wait to hear: "Fulci - Dead Sky/Red Lights" (more Drone Rock, I believe) and "Hyatari - The Light Carriers". I'll post my opinion on them here, hopefully soon!
10.02.2008 - 20:15
mankvill
I'd rather take Drone over Noise, although both are perfectly fine with me.
10.02.2008 - 21:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@Jups: I will definitely take those out.

And about Noise.. never really understood it. It might be weird coming from a (newcomer) Drone fan, but I don't really like noise. Then again, I've not heard much noise.

If anybody can recommend me some "snow white blissed out noise", I'm all ears!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.02.2008 - 14:34
Kurzag
Account deleted
Would not call my self a drone head, in fact that I like slow music. So far SunnO))) and Wolfmangler is the only bands I have listen to. Haven't heard Earth yet, shame on me. I would like to get some recommentions.
11.02.2008 - 18:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by [user id=989] on 11.02.2008 at 14:34

Would not call my self a drone head, in fact that I like slow music. So far SunnO))) and Wolfmangler is the only bands I have listen to. Haven't heard Earth yet, shame on me. I would like to get some recommentions.

I'm going to take your Wolfmangler recommendation.

If you want some recommendations, go a page back. Or just be lazy: Hlidolf, Hjarnidaudi, Hyatari, Earth, Skullflower, Boyd Rice, Asva, Deep Well Of Horrors, Fulci, The Angelic Process. That should be about all that is mentioned.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.02.2008 - 20:31
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Just listened to the new Earth album: The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull. And it blew me away. I never liked their " tumble-weed" drone much, not even on HEX, their most gloried album, but this time it really hit me. I'm going to buy this soon, and I think I'll give HEX another go as well.
----

16.02.2008 - 20:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lucas on 16.02.2008 at 20:31

Just listened to the new Earth album: The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull. And it blew me away. I never liked their " tumble-weed" drone much, not even on HEX, their most gloried album, but this time it really hit me. I'm going to buy this soon, and I think I'll give HEX another go as well.

IMO Hex is just brilliant artwork and music complement each other perfectly evoking images of tumbleweeds.

Currently trying to get into Bunkur - Bludgeon, live they bored me to tears but I bought their their 2LP version of Bludgeon anyway. The song Bludgeon with its 65 minutes is spread over the first three sides and side four is a cover of Burzum's Erblicket Die TЖchter Des Firmaments and clocks in at 16 minutes.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2008 - 20:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.02.2008 at 20:39

Written by Lucas on 16.02.2008 at 20:31

IMO Hex is just brilliant artwork and music complement each other perfectly evoking images of tumbleweeds.

Currently trying to get into Bunkur - Bludgeon, live they bored me to tears but I bought their their 2LP version of Bludgeon anyway. The song Bludgeon with its 65 minutes is spread over the first three sides and side four is a cover of Burzum's Erblicket Die TЖchter Des Firmaments and clocks in at 16 minutes.

Now that I've sat through The Bees.. a couple of times, I think I'll like it better. As for Bludgeon.. heard it three or four times, didn't like it. Don't think I'll ever get back to it, but then again, I can be mightily bored these days, so who knows.
----

16.02.2008 - 23:57
Kurzag
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 11.02.2008 at 18:41

Written by [user id=989] on 11.02.2008 at 14:34

I'm going to take your Wolfmangler recommendation.

If you want some recommendations, go a page back. Or just be lazy: Hlidolf, Hjarnidaudi, Hyatari, Earth, Skullflower, Boyd Rice, Asva, Deep Well Of Horrors, Fulci, The Angelic Process. That should be about all that is mentioned.

Listened to some songs from Earth and Hjarnidaudi on their myspaces. Good stuff! Thanks Nervel
17.02.2008 - 00:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by [user id=989] on 16.02.2008 at 23:57

Listened to some songs from Earth and Hjarnidaudi on their myspaces. Good stuff! Thanks Nervel

No problem man. Glad you appreciate them.
----

29.02.2008 - 23:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I'm really digging Earth's "The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull" right now. Really awesome stuff, when listening to this I really feel as if I'm in the middle of "Once Upon A Time In The West". Ordered it, together with "HEX", though i didn't like HEX nearly as much.

Should also be buying some NON soon.
----

01.03.2008 - 00:21
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I have trouble understanding drone, i guess people will say that it's based on sound ambience. I just don't seem to like it, it's quite boring, even though i'm not familiar with the genre, having listened to Sunno))) and some other stuff, i don't see what's so great about it, maybe sometime i'll think about listening to the genre while i'm high supposing alot of these musicians are under the influence of drugs while composing.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
01.03.2008 - 00:31
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Visioneerie on 01.03.2008 at 00:21

I have trouble understanding drone, i guess people will say that it's based on sound ambience. I just don't seem to like it, it's quite boring, even though i'm not familiar with the genre, having listened to Sunno))) and some other stuff, i don't see what's so great about it, maybe sometime i'll think about listening to the genre while i'm high supposing alot of these musicians are under the influence of drugs while composing.

It's not necessary to be high to enjoy drone. I'd recommend to start out with some more Drone/Doom bands like The Angelic Process & Nadja and move on from there. (if you like it)
----

01.03.2008 - 00:39
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Lucas on 01.03.2008 at 00:31

Written by Visioneerie on 01.03.2008 at 00:21

It's not necessary to be high to enjoy drone. I'd recommend to start out with some more Drone/Doom bands like The Angelic Process & Nadja and move on from there. (if you like it)

Well if there's some Doom mixed with it, it should be interesting, i'll try them out, thanks.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
01.03.2008 - 01:27
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Wow, i have to say truthfully that i did'nt expect much from those two bands but after i checked out their myspace pages i was wrong. In a way, very different from Sunno))), there's more feeling and intellect in their songs. I liked alot The Angelic Process, reminds me a bit of some ambient BM but more psychedelic and less reptitive. Maybe this genre isn't so brainless after all. Thanks for those recommendations dude i'm surely going to dig deeper into this type of music, hoping to find more band like The Angelic Process and less like Sunno)))
----
01.03.2008 - 01:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
No problem at all.
----

01.03.2008 - 02:36
Daniel
Iv'e never really heard much Drone... At all. Basically nothing. Don't know what it sounds like .

Is it like a branch from Stoner rock/metal or trance, Or fuzz or .... .

Can anyone help? It seems like it'll float my boat.

----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
01.03.2008 - 02:40
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Daniel on 01.03.2008 at 02:36

Iv'e never really heard much Drone... At all. Basically nothing. Don't know what it sounds like .
Is it like a branch from Stoner rock/metal or trance, Or fuzz or .... .
Can anyone help? It seems like it'll float my boat.

Drone is basically a wall of sound, depends on the band how that wall of sound sounds like. Most bands have a bassful, droning (lol), "warm" sound to them. In that wall, melodies or vocals are 'buried'. Do yourself a favour and search for the Myspace of The Angelic Process.

There's also other drone, stuff like Sunn O))) and Hlidolf, which are less overwhelming and resemble more of the 'void'. I'd suggest Hlidolf - V01D for an album in that style. Basically just slowly shifting eerie keyboards and low, deep and bass tones.
----

01.03.2008 - 02:46
Daniel
Cheers!
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
05.03.2008 - 03:09
Southern Wind
Account deleted
There's another O'Malley project called The Lotus Eaters that is pretty amazing. I won't say it is better but Sunn but I had really enjoyed it lately, it sounds very minimal and reflexive.
05.03.2008 - 10:53
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Lucas on 10.02.2008 at 21:17

@Jups: I will definitely take those out.

And about Noise.. never really understood it. It might be weird coming from a (newcomer) Drone fan, but I don't really like noise. Then again, I've not heard much noise.

If anybody can recommend me some "snow white blissed out noise", I'm all ears!

Hm, I can understand why someone enjoys noise, some drone bands come really close to the border what we can call music and well..what we call noise. The fun part about noise is that they are doing completely the opposite of what you are supposed to do when you compose a song. Especially after knowing some music theory, you can just find it highly entertaining to see how they slaughter all the rules of composing a song. Anyway, Melt-Banana is a really good noise rock band, try to get their album "Cell-scape". And for your information, they are coming to the Netherlands in June.

In Drone, I could enjoy some Sun 0))) and Boris in the past, but by now I am really tired of it. Too repetitive, slow..and uh slow.
05.03.2008 - 11:19
doomina
Account deleted
i don't know who mentioned nadja here, but thanks, i've never heard of 'em before ...
truth becomes death and thaumogenesis are amazing
06.03.2008 - 15:36
Hangar XVIII
Is Sun 0))) drone?
They get a lot of shit they don't deserve.
They aren't really that bad, but a lot of people I know laugh at me when I say so.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
06.03.2008 - 15:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hangar XVIII on 06.03.2008 at 15:36

Is Sun 0))) drone?
They get a lot of shit they don't deserve.
They aren't really that bad, but a lot of people I know laugh at me when I say so.

Yes they are drone, and are a great band. Just ognore those people and enjoy them.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.03.2008 - 15:59
Hangar XVIII
, yeah.
Ignorance is bliss.
Bad pun.
Ignore-ance xD
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
07.03.2008 - 04:37
TombstoneHighway
Account deleted
EAAAAAAAARRRRRRTTTTTHHHHH

I just recently picked up Hibernaculum, and can't wait to get more of their stuff.

Anybody know any bands which play like newer Earth?
07.03.2008 - 04:53
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by [user id=29088] on 05.03.2008 at 11:19

i don't know who mentioned nadja here, but thanks, i've never heard of 'em before ...
truth becomes death and thaumogenesis are amazing

I AM a drone fan, and I think Nadja are boring as fuck
07.03.2008 - 11:23
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I think they're great, though they of course have their better and lesser albums. And about Earth. Fuck yeah. I'm a newborn fan, received The Bees and Hex yesterday and I'm thinking of buying more of that shit.

I also didnt really like HEX earlier, but the cd version is much better than crappy mp3's + crappy speakers.

I cannot wait for the summer, lighting up a big fat joint and sitting in my rocking chair, listening to this stuff. (have to buy such a chair first, though )
----

13.07.2008 - 11:49
FOOCK Nam
Is psychedelic doom and drone same? I knew that Esoteric is labeled as psychedelic and funeral doom, and my question is that: drone doom also has psychedelic element, so is it same as psychedelic doom, e.g Esoteric..

Esoteric is labled as psychedelic doom, do they have any drone element?
13.07.2008 - 13:32
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Not really. Psychedelic DRONE (not Doom) is a very rare genre. I only know one band: Hjarnidaudi.

Check some Sunn O))), they sum up the genre better than thousands words can do. Of course, there are drone bands that incorporate different elements in their music, but still.
----

16.07.2008 - 18:58
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Anyone into the new by Moss? Sub-Templum is amazing... this band is taking drone and extreme doom through truly occult pathways.

I'm also enjoying a lot Sacrificial Totem, that sound like a more obscure, doomer and, of course, droner version of Velvet Cacoon.