07. On The Breath Of Poseidon
08. Egypt
09. Death Of Balance/Lacrymosa
10. Absence Of Light
11. A Fool's Paradise
12. Rediscovery
13. Rediscovery Pt. II - The New Mythology
14. Masquerade '98 [bonus]

To these we've never heard Symphony X before, listen to this album and you will be a fan... V: The New Mythology Suite is the best of what creativity could bring to standard metal. Loud guitars, clean keyboards, perfect bass lines, permanent technique drums and excellent vocals, what do you want more? Michael Romeo and Michael Pinnella are used to play together and their music sounds as one. V is a wonderful melting pot of angry riffs and angelic melodies where vocals appear as heavenly prophecies. The theme of the album is a little obscure but it seems to be one of those themes about life, destruction and religion, you know, something very spiritual. Nevertheless, you don't have to understand the lyrics to appreciate Symphony X music because it's so good!

Beginning with the usual "Prelude" to whose spiritual albums I love, you hear a great break between the following track: "Evolution" starts with loud riffs performed in its own particular style by Michael Romeo and this song could resume the whole album: power, lyrism, perfect melody, and emotion... Whatever, all the following tracks will amaze you more and more and that makes the large difference between a standard album and this one. Each song has its own existence among the whole life of the CD! So, let's go on... "Fallen" is definitively my favorite song of V with its quiet beginning and its exciting solos, and the chorus is really something you can't forget. Then, comes "Communion And The Oracle" ["Transcendance" is a short intermission], and here all musicians must enjoy this song, which is - sincerely - one of the sweetest things ever. The chorus is clean and its makes an excellent continuation to the album. So, begins "The Bird-Serpent War/Cataclysm" and as the title contains the word 'war', this song is a little closer to "Evolution", even if it's less violent. The following track called "On the Breath of Poseidon" could have been a music for the theatre - until the guitarist plays - and it makes me think of some orchestral introductions you may hear in epic movies such as 'Lord Of The Rings'. About introduction, this one is excellent for the great "Egypt", which is a great time of the album. No more words about this one, you must listen to it!

Here it comes the second part of the 'New Mythology Suite': "Death Of Balance" a pure technique exercise in which you can clearly listen Dream Theater influences (close to the riffs of the song "The Mirror") and then a vocal performance called "Lacrymosa". As usual on this album, very peaceful songs are followed by splendid heavy progressive tracks, and "Absence Of Light" is one of those. Maybe, the more powerful track on the album, whatever, one of my favorite for sure! "A Fool's Paradise": what can I say on it? Saying that it's almost perfect would be like bringing coal to Newcastle. Finally the duality of jewels called "Rediscovery Part I and Part II" will let you ravenous to find those feelings, listening to other artists... I can say that the ending of V is like the end of your favorite movie: listening to it, you will be delighted and dreaming...

Hey, I hope you would have understood that I love this album!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written on 22.09.2003 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 155 users
04.07.2006 - 05:28
Pianoman
Account deleted
Fuck I want to have this album! I dont know where to get it but I have heard some songs like evolution, comunion and the oracle and fallen. The three are real killer songs that have a lot of emotion. A lot of my friends recommended me this album so I will try to get it but I don't know how.
03.12.2006 - 04:59
Bitch Boy

This is the best studio album ever, one of the 2 albums that, for me, deserve a perfect 10 (along with Metallica's S&M). You described perfectly well the whole escence of the album, despite being a new fan of the band. It has my two favorite SX songs: "Communion and the oracle" and "Evolution".

Excellent review for an excellent album
27.03.2007 - 18:24
Rating: 9
silenius

im gonna see them on sweden rock festival this summer, ive listened to their music since i was like 8 years old but never got the chance to see them live until now, so im realy looking forward to it couse they are realy one of the worlds greatest bands( but nothing beats Opeth)
29.03.2007 - 06:00
Rating: 6
Danny Thomas

am i the only one that finds this album over rated? i own it, and frankly i don't see what all the fuss is about. i mean i liek everythign from blind guardian to vader to finntroll, but this just doesn't get a 9.6 imo.
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
15.07.2007 - 00:35
Rating: 10
BlankFile

The reviewer said it all. This album is simply perfect. A fountain of great compositions and emotion. A tear shedding album! What a masterpiece!
06.11.2007 - 18:52
Talvi

Not overrated, I like it's rating. Amazing album indeed ^^
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
06.11.2007 - 20:54
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
whats not to like here? Symphony X are amazing.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.12.2007 - 03:55
Rating: 9
Raziel X

I like this as every other SX album (except the first album, Rod Tyler, for shame!), it was maybe the album that helped me getting into SX together with Twilight In Olympus, but isnt my fav
Maybe 3rd fav... After Odyssey and Paradise Lost
01.07.2011 - 05:19
Xtopher

Written by Danny Thomas on 29.03.2007 at 06:00

am i the only one that finds this album over rated? i own it, and frankly i don't see what all the fuss is about. i mean i liek everythign from blind guardian to vader to finntroll, but this just doesn't get a 9.6 imo.

That´s were you are mistaken my friend. Symphony X is nothing like BG, Vader or Finntroll. Its not meant to be an agressive thrashy album like Blind Guardian usually makes, its not suposed to be a death metal album like Vader and its not at all folk metal. If you´d asked me what kind of metal this is, i´d say Symphonic Metal, and that´s it. It has heart, it has agressiveness but only when needed, it has absolutley gorgeous melodies that stick to your head for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, If you wanted to headbang to this album, you wont. Its not about that at all. Its about a journey and a story. Its about timing, its about taking your time to make music that will take you to another place and get you immersed in it. Dont get me wrong, you could definitely headbang to songs like Evolution, Bird-Serpent War or Fool´s paradise, but its not the point at all, its about sitting in your room and just enjoy the masterpiece that this is. Too bad SX has a different feel about music now, but hey, we will always have V.
----
25.12.2018 - 18:44
Rating: 10
BlankFile

In my mind, one of the best Neoclassical Prog Metal records of all time, maybe the best SX álbum ever. I now it´s debatable, but this record is pure perfection.

Hits total: 10048 | This month: 11