05. Hello Moon [feat. Michael Kiske]
06. Elevator To The Sky
07. Loser Song
08. Tears Against Your Smile [feat. Michael Kiske]
09. Final Destination
10. Tin Soldiers Pt. 1
11. Tin Soldiers Pt. 2
12. Human Drama [Japanese bonus]

As a reviewer I usually know what albums will be sent to me. And usually when I know I'm about to get something new, I google them to get a first impression. Only seldomly has this course of action gotten me as excited as with Trick Or Treat, who started out playing Helloween covers and now write their own songs.

The first thing I found searching the web for this band, was the absolutely hilarious artwork of their previous output, Evil Needs Candy Too. It didn't stop here though, Evil Needs Candy Too didn't only showcase a song named "Like Donald Duck" (including voice samples of everyone's favourite bird sailor), but also a fantastic heavy metal version (and video) of Cindy Laupers world-super-hit "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" (Watch it here!).

Unfortunately I'm not reviewing the aforementioned debut though, but their second output Tin Soldiers. For melodic metal fans who know the geographic traits that go with their music; Trick Or Treat sound pretty much like a mix between Italian heavy metal and German power metal. For those among you that prefer a bunch of adjectives; the music is very melodic, light-hearted, cheesy (of course), has a lot of high-pitched vocals and is mainly mid-tempo. For those who like comparisons to other bands; Edguy and the more light-hearted Helloween-material wouldn't be too far-fetched.

There are a few issues I have with this CD. There's a lot of repetition going on throughout the album, especially where the vocals are concerned. They're good, but that doesn't mean they have to sound the same the whole time; some more variation would have been pleasant. The next thing is that I can't find a single really nice'n'heavy riff. In general some heavier parts wouldn't harm the band (also in regards to the repetition issue). Another thing is the missing originality; however that that counts for most of today's metal scene anyway.

Apart from these concerns there aren't a lot of bad things I can say about Tin Soldiers though. It's a good power metal album with a big bunch of feel-good vibes. True highlights of the CD are "Hello Moon" and the ballad "Tears Against Your Smile", both featuring an excellent Michael Kiske and the last song; "Tin Soldiers Pt. 2".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 5
Production: 9

Written by Bas | 25.08.2009

Comments

Comments: 10   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 133 users
25.08.2009 - 00:45
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I remember hearing this album once a couple months back then. Found it very boring and not so inspired though =/
----
loves 小巫
25.08.2009 - 11:52
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Just checked their myspace, listened to "Tears Against Your Smile" and "Robin Hood" and knew, this band wins it by cheesy me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.08.2009 - 13:41
Rating: 8
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Ag Fox on 25.08.2009 at 00:45

I remember hearing this album once a couple months back then. Found it very boring and not so inspired though =/

Well yeah, it is pretty uninspired, you're definitely right with that one
Written by Irritable Ted on 25.08.2009 at 11:29

Tears against your smile is strong song, brilliant performance from Michael Kiske (please come back to metal full time)

If you ask me he's even better on the other track he's on, Hello Moon
Written by Ellrohir on 25.08.2009 at 11:52

Just checked their myspace, listened to "Tears Against Your Smile" and "Robin Hood" and knew, this band wins it by cheesy me

Seeing your favourite bands I can't imagine you'd have a lot of problems with cheesy stuff
(But hey, I'm guilty of that too)
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
26.08.2009 - 13:44
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Seems i am misunderstand...i wanted to say the "cheesy me" like it i really dont have any problems with it
----

26.08.2009 - 14:21
Rating: 8
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 26.08.2009 at 13:44

Seems i am misunderstand...i wanted to say the "cheesy me" like it i really dont have any problems with it

Nah, I knew you meant that
I just meant to say that it's pretty obvious that you like cheesy stuff if you count bands like Alestorm, Avantasia, Edguy and Elvenking to your favourites
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
26.08.2009 - 14:37
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Ok, ok...now it seems i misunderstood you i apologize myself
----

26.08.2009 - 15:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha, Trick or Treat is me and my friend's current "laugh-our-asses-off" band.
----
28.02.2010 - 23:43
Baz Anderson

Written by Warman on 26.08.2009 at 15:47

Haha, Trick or Treat is me and my friend's current "laugh-our-asses-off" band.

We have a few of those... it started with a band called Timeless Miracle (really good, actually) and then a friend just tried to find the cheesiest stuff possible and he came out with all kinds of insane Japanese bands and whatever... just... the ultimate cheese. If he see's this, I'm sure he'll name a few bands.
01.03.2010 - 13:46
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Baz Anderson on 28.02.2010 at 23:43

We have a few of those... it started with a band called Timeless Miracle (really good, actually) and then a friend just tried to find the cheesiest stuff possible and he came out with all kinds of insane Japanese bands and whatever... just... the ultimate cheese. If he see's this, I'm sure he'll name a few bands.

Awesome man, we started with Timeless Miracle too long ago.
----
10.07.2010 - 15:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Not a very good album, I was expecting better. Only ''Paper Dragon'' and ''Tears Against Your Smile'' stand out to me as great songs.

Hits total: 7288 | This month: 12