Metal Storm logo
Best "Trve Norwegian Black Metal" Song

Original post

Posted by Ellrohir, 04.09.2009 - 13:57
I know there is topic "best of bm", but this is among all subgenres...i like many of them too, but this topic should be really about this "pure" bm originally from Norway, because i am liking this stuff more and more, so i am interested in good songs

mine "top three pics" will be

3. Immortal - Battles In The North
2.-1. Satyricon - Mother North
2.-1. Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

cant decide who is winner, both songs are fcking awesome...any other recommendations?
05.02.2012 - 06:13
It's insanely difficult to pick just one song from that era since there was so much creativity and these bands were pretty much discovering this style and themselves all at the same time. I don't know about best but I can tell you a few of my personal favorites;

Darkthrone - In the Shadows of the Horns
Mayhem - Chainsaw Gutsfuck and Deathcrush
Burzum - Ea Lord of the Depths

I'm sure I could think of some more but of the early, early bands of the second wave those are my favorite cuts. In fact those three albums that those songs come from form a pyramid in my mind that the rest of the genre is built upon. Brilliant masterpieces of grim rebellion....what I wouldn't give to be at any of their rehearsals or recording sessions....
07.02.2012 - 15:15
Slayerus23
Account deleted
Emperor - Inno A Satana
Ulver - Capitel I: I Troldskog Faren Vild
Satyricon - Mother North
07.02.2012 - 17:13
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 07.02.2012 at 15:15

Emperor - Inno A Satana
Satyricon - Mother North

Even though Ulver belongs to the same wave as Emperor, Satyricon, Immortal, Burzum and Mayhem, I don't think they are Trve black metal.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
08.02.2012 - 13:18
Written by Oaken on 07.02.2012 at 17:13

Emperor - Inno A Satana
Satyricon - Mother North

Even though Ulver belongs to the same wave as Emperor, Satyricon, Immortal, Burzum and Mayhem, I don't think they are Trve black metal.

Almost said something but didn't want to be that guy. But yeah...it's debatable. Sort of like how I look at Goatwhore as black metal, even though most call them blackened death or blackened thrash. To each his own. Looking back on the posts it looks like a sort of thread about the "trve kvlt" ideal and shit. Not a big fan of that as I think it's creatively stifling. So yeah in my mind Ulver isn't exactly black metal, but they aren't completely separated from it either.
08.02.2012 - 14:16
Bitchy Angel
Written by IncoherentScream on 08.02.2012 at 13:18

Written by Oaken on 07.02.2012 at 17:13

Emperor - Inno A Satana
Satyricon - Mother North

Almost said something but didn't want to be that guy. But yeah...it's debatable. Sort of like how I look at Goatwhore as black metal, even though most call them blackened death or blackened thrash. To each his own. Looking back on the posts it looks like a sort of thread about the "trve kvlt" ideal and shit. Not a big fan of that as I think it's creatively stifling. So yeah in my mind Ulver isn't exactly black metal, but they aren't completely separated from it either.

Why nowadays people still argueing about the genes that are actually obvious. There is one hotdog shop in new York called Japadog, hotdog adding seaweed and other Japanese ingredient. People still called it a hotdog ! But slightly involved Japanese influences. Those so called what blackened death...kind of gene is a shit ! Only confuse people ! Whichever prominent counts. Next time think of metal gene, think of Japadog.
09.02.2012 - 04:49
It only seems to matter with BM.
09.02.2012 - 06:23
Unhealer
Eclecticist
It's probably Mother North for me.

I also love Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen by Demon Burger, from the first edition of Stormblâst of course (in case it counts as TBM)
31.12.2014 - 21:31
Not sure, probably a song by Immortal.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
01.01.2015 - 18:46
Ganondox
Freezing Moon because it has the only black metal riff I can actually remember.
01.01.2015 - 20:32
Totenlieder
Rust by Darkthrone
Off their Hate Them album.
Or
Unsilent Storms in The Northern Abyss by Immortal
Off their Pure Holocaust album.
There's a lot to choose from.
----
Blut & Krieg
16.01.2015 - 22:36
Nucky
Immortal - Blashkyrk
23.01.2015 - 16:42
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
My choice would rely on Mayhem, Immortal, Satyricon, Darkthone... but i'll leave here a less known bunch.

Khold - Dødens Grøde
1349 - Beyond the Apocalypse
Urgehal - Sopor Necrosanctus
31.01.2015 - 06:16
Mad Arab666
Mayhem - Freezing moon
Satyricon - Mother North
Burzum - Det som et gang var

----
Bring up the wolves head!
17.02.2015 - 16:34
Jessie J
Account deleted
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
20.03.2015 - 18:30
Lit.
Account deleted
Everyone keeps mentioning Mother North, but what about the clearly better title track from Nemesis Divina?
17.02.2017 - 12:48
nikarg
Staff
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger or Mayhem - Life Eternal
23.04.2021 - 04:30
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
My top 5

1. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
2. Darkthrone - To walk the Infernal fields
3. Mayhem - Freezing Moon