15 users:
Band: Laster
Album: De Verste Verte Is Hier
Release date: November 2014

01. Alles Wat Mij Bevalt, Ontvalt Me
02. Tot De Tocht Ons Verlicht
03. Ik - Mijn Masker
04. De Verste Verte Is Hier

Being original is an interesting attribute. You don't really need to force it that much and add a frigging sax to the songs. Sometimes you just find a way to play a classic genre with subtle differences. In the world of ambient black metal, Laster does manage to come forward as a band with a sound of their own.

On their debut, Laster uses many hints at other genres in order to add flavour and variety to their music. It might just be a couple of unusual and playful drumbeats (for the genre), some crescendos akin to those from the post metal scene, a strategic use of tempo changes or even some slight gothic tunes coming from the vocals and, at points, catchy riffing. All these hints help the album sound memorable and distinct in comparison with its peers.

Other than that, it's really something you'd come to expect from the genre: Vocals that go from your painful shrieks to deep, sorrowful chants. A pulsing bass that sometimes reminds me of the production of the great Lurker Of Chalice. Just like that album, the bass is the heart of Laster's debut, with its vibrant and warm sound. The production really helps in making the album a cohesive piece in which the songs melt into each other. I found myself finishing it without noticing and just hitting replay more than once.

The big surprise comes without warning at the end. It's hard to not spoil it for you all but it's such a clever way of playing goth tunes with a black metal sound. Somehow it sounds so natural despite being a drastic change. It shows how this album is best served from beginning to end in order to appreciate the hints that give way to that ending. I now wait for another album in which they could use those influences more often, because Laster can definitely capitalize on that combination of styles.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 02.01.2015 by A lazy reviewer but he is so cute you'd forgive him for it.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 110 users
02.01.2015 - 14:30
Rating: 5
Ilham
Giant robot
I'm sure someone else than I would like it a lot more. It does display unusual attributes, and I found myself liking the non-black metal ones much more. It isn't an uninteresting listen whether you end up liking the album or not. Nicely summed up .
02.01.2015 - 14:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Even though the bass is audible I find the production to be the weak point of the album. Imo, it was recorded way too softly and also too murky a lot of the times.
Laster is live a lot better than on album. The album actually quite bores me whereas live the band is riveting.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.01.2015 - 14:50
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2015 at 14:48

Even though the bass is audible I find the production to be the weak point of the album. Imo, it was recorded way too softly and also too murky a lot of the times.
Laster is live a lot better than on album. The album actually quite bores me whereas live the band is riveting.

Oh that's interesting. I really liked the murky and "fluffy" production. I figured you've seen them live as well. I would sure love to see them someday as their music strikes me as far stronger live.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.01.2015 - 03:54
Rating: 9
Electes

I'm glad someone else stumbled across Laster and liked their latest work, too. An underground gem that's worth the spin, definitely. Will take a lot for the next album to dethrone this one...
03.01.2015 - 05:41
scaesura

I like this album a lot. There's some pretty fabulously creative stuff for a band that is at heart ambient BM. And I like the production too.
03.01.2015 - 12:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good band. I like this album
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.01.2015 - 22:41
Erik M.

Dutch band name, song titles and lyrics? That's quite unusual.

Anyway, nice review. Will probably check this out soon.
07.01.2015 - 00:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Erik M. on 06.01.2015 at 22:41

No it is not unusual in the Dutch black metal scene.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.01.2015 - 15:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2015 at 00:18

Written by Erik M. on 06.01.2015 at 22:41

Was about to say the same and I'm not even from your area.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.01.2015 - 22:36
Erik M.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2015 at 00:18

Well, I'm not into underground Dutch black metal, hence why I thought as such.

Hits total: 2876 | This month: 22