Album: Mozaic
Release date: June 2015

01. Seven Insignia
02. Arctic Cascades
03. Paraphernalia Of Sublimation
04. Desert's Eschaton
05. Ethereal Consonance
06. Rejuvenation

There can be very little denying that Edmond Karban and Christian Popescu (of Negură Bunget note) have come a long way in developing and perfecting their sound. First masters of atmosphere in Negura, they have since departed, forming the equally (if not more) impressive Dordeduh in 2009. But the ball's not stopping its rolling there, folks. Get ready for Sunset In The 12th House.

This new band sees Mr. Karban and Mr. Popescu teaming up with Sergio Ponti (drums) and Mihai Moldoveanu (bass), who they've also been working with in Dordeduh, for more of a post rock, almost psychedelic approach. Mostly instrumental, with this fantastic Mozaic debut, Sunset In The 12th house crafts an absolutely mesmerizing sound that sees Karban and Popescu utilizing many of their usual tricks, but in slightly different ways. The music is thus mostly bright, atmospheric, and very ethereal in its approach, retaining much of the transcendental beauty that these guys brought to Negură Bunget and have been continuing on with in Dordeduh (just listen to "Arctic Cascades"... DAMN).

Mozaic, however, really is just that... a mozaic. There is an absolutely wonderful variation in genre influences and delivery all across this album, and it's definitely one of the types that feels as though it reveals more about itself over time. Though mostly instrumental and atmospheric, some moments in it actually get quite heavy, such as on "Seven Insignia" and "Rejuvenation," the latter actually containing some harsh vocals from Karban. The Eastern feel of "Desert's Eschaton" (personal favorite) is just tasty as all hell, and you can also find moments sprinkled throughout the tracks of some BM-style tremolo picking, showing that Karban and Popescu haven't by any means forgotten that side of their musical personalities either.

So, if you didn't get the message already, let me just say it bluntly: Mozaic is an absolute triumph. Relaxing, heavy, varied, and layered, it's a wonderful journey through various stylistic influences, all centered around an inherent sense of melody and atmosphere. Sunset In The 12th House displays the epic sound that Karban and Popescu are conjuring in Dordeduh, but also some of the heaviness that they had in Negură Bunget as well, and in that aspect, the band is definitely unique. I am now firmly convinced, if I wasn't already, that virtually anything these incredible musicians touch will turn out pretty damn good.

Become one with the majesty.

*Oh, and of course, this review wouldn't be at all complete without me pimping the name of brilliant Romanian artist Costin Chioreanu, who did the artwork here. Just look upon that thing in all its glory, goddamn it. The guy is a genius.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 04.07.2015 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 18   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 355 users
05.07.2015 - 00:50
Rating: 9
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I've been waiting for this
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.07.2015 - 00:55
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 05.07.2015 at 00:50

The album, or the review?
Either way, it's fantastic stuff indeed. Easy AOTY contender.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
05.07.2015 - 01:17
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Auntie Sahar on 05.07.2015 at 00:55

Written by RaduP on 05.07.2015 at 00:50

The album, or the review?
Either way, it's fantastic stuff indeed. Easy AOTY contender.

The review, I heard the album the day it was released and I posted most of the related news and I got excited when I looked at the review queue and I saw that it's there. I wanted to request it but I hesitated because you were all having plenty to review already and I didn't want to be an annoying nationalistic prick. But here we are. Thanks a lot
----
05.07.2015 - 01:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Is this metal enough, last time I checked it was not more rock band, pysho rock
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.07.2015 - 02:06
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Bad English on 05.07.2015 at 01:33

Is this metal enough, last time I checked it was not more rock band, pysho rock

It does have traces of metal in it, most specifically on the opening and closing tracks, but yeah, overall it's just instrumental psychedelic/post rock. As for... "is it metal enough to be here"?
Well, that opens up the classic question of what "metal enough" really means, and I'd rather not get into that debate... at least not here
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
05.07.2015 - 02:24
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Auntie Sahar on 05.07.2015 at 02:06

It does have traces of metal in it, most specifically on the opening and closing tracks, but yeah, overall it's just instrumental psychedelic/post rock. As for... "is it metal enough to be here"?
Well, that opens up the classic question of what "metal enough" really means, and I'd rather not get into that debate... at least not here

I would say the question is less about "Is it metal enough to be here?", but rather "Is it metal enough to be tagged Post-metal and be made visible?"

I haven't listened to it (I'm not a post-person), but it seems to me that you are saying it is hardly metal. Regardless of it's metalness, or lack there of, I'd say that since we're taking a much more lax and "relatative to metalheads" stance these days, that the band deserves to be here due to it's connection to Negura Bunget and Dordeduh.

So I'd be more interested to know if the Post-METAL tag and the band's visibility is justified...? Kinda sounds more to me like they're not.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

05.07.2015 - 03:15
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by psykometal on 05.07.2015 at 02:24

I haven't listened to it (I'm not a post-person), but it seems to me that you are saying it is hardly metal. Regardless of it's metalness, or lack there of, I'd say that since we're taking a much more lax and "relatative to metalheads" stance these days, that the band deserves to be here due to it's connection to Negura Bunget and Dordeduh.

So I'd be more interested to know if the Post-METAL tag and the band's visibility is justified...? Kinda sounds more to me like they're not.

I'm not really a post guy either, but just because of the Negura and Dordeduh connections, I was pretty much obligated to check this album out. Even so, I dunno if I'd call it post metal actually... there's just too much going on in it to easily classify it. There is some post, but it's also psychedelic at points, kind of folky on that fourth track, and then there are the actual heavy points where it does actually get quite metal-ish. If you were to make these guys visible, I'm not sure what it'd be good to tag them as entirely, but I don't believe a simple "post metal" would be sufficient.

Basically: There IS metal here, I'm just not sure whether you could say it forms the core of the sound. At the moment, I'd say it doesn't.
----

~ II. VII
05.07.2015 - 03:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 05.07.2015 at 02:24

Written by Auntie Sahar on 05.07.2015 at 02:06

I would say the question is less about "Is it metal enough to be here?", but rather "Is it metal enough to be tagged Post-metal and be made visible?"

when I was listening it , it was soft to me, I didn't do all album, but few tracks , it was kind a soft to me
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.07.2015 - 05:09
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 05.07.2015 at 04:44

Great album indeed. I reckon it would be better without the vocals... at least the last song.

I wouldn't have minded them as much if they were just a bit more developed. That last track is good, but the fact that it's the only one that sees that technique being used also makes it feel somewhat out of place. The album could've done a wee bit better with just ending with that fifth track imo.
----

~ II. VII
05.07.2015 - 19:16
Rating: 10
PocketMetal

I do need this in my life.
05.07.2015 - 23:55
Rating: 6
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I think you meant "Desert's Eschaton" has an "Eastern" feel, not "Paraphernalia of Sublimation".
06.07.2015 - 00:46
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Also "Rejuvenation", not "Seven Insignia" contains vocals
----
06.07.2015 - 01:37
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by LeKiwi on 05.07.2015 at 23:55

I think you meant "Desert's Eschaton" has an "Eastern" feel, not "Paraphernalia of Sublimation".

I think the tracks on the DL I got are just all fucked up. Because I'm looking at...

1. Arctic Cascades
2. Desert's Eschaton
3. Ethereal Consonance
4. Paraphernalia Of Sublimation
5. Rejuvenation
6. Seven Insignia

Which is apparently wrong, because everywhere else I'm looking now it's different. Goddamit, now I'm gonna have to edit both the review and the info in my music library
Thanks for calling me on this, at least!
----

~ II. VII
06.07.2015 - 01:37
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 06.07.2015 at 00:46

Also "Rejuvenation", not "Seven Insignia" contains vocals

You're right, see my reply to LeKiwi
----

~ II. VII
06.07.2015 - 03:57
Rating: 6
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.07.2015 at 01:37
Goddamit, now I'm gonna have to edit both the review and the info in my music library Thanks for calling me on this, at least!

No worries and good luck
06.07.2015 - 20:19
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Auntie Sahar on 05.07.2015 at 03:15

I dunno if I'd call it post metal actually...

I will be the judge of that... Sounds interesting Che, will check this out.
----
rekt
07.07.2015 - 01:21
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
This is pure gold. I'm having a hard time finding new good music and the grades i've been giving are mostly 6 and 7, so for me to say that this is 10/10 stuff you'll get the pciture.
Best album of the year so far.
20.07.2015 - 19:51
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Che, this IS post rock/metal. Finally got around to listening. Some psychedelic moments too. I am not shocked to find this on Prophecy records; what a fine release and thanks for the review.
----
rekt

Hits total: 9322 | This month: 17