Metal Storm logo
Progressive electronic music if it exists

02.06.2017 - 21:16
Uller
Hi everyone.
Not a fan of electronic music here, but I am expanding my knowledge. As far as i've listened to electronic it tends to bore me.
I was wondering if there is something like progressive electronic, and by that I mean rhythm, metric and tonality changes. Complexity and structure like the one you can find in King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater (just to mention the most famous ones).
Bonus: I like in particular progressive death metal, so if you have some band or artist recommendations that you think I might like I will appreciate it.
----
03.06.2017 - 00:34
IronAngel
Progressive electronic is a genre, actually, but it's not exactly electronic prog-rock. It does share many similarities, but it tends to also take from minimalism (the modern art music) and has affinities with krautrock.

The quintessential band is probably Tangerine Dream. Phaedra and Rubycon are often mentioned as the essential albums, but especially if you're looking for something more in the spirit of prog-rock (and I like them better in general, too), I would recommend the next two big ones: Stratosfear and especially Force Majeure.

Other important names include Klaus Schulze, Ashra, Manuel Göttsching, (early) Kraftwerk, and apparently Jean-Michel Jarre (whom I haven't listened to much, need to get on that asap).

This track, I think, is phenomenally fun:
03.06.2017 - 00:42
IronAngel
As for modern electronic that's just a little eccentric but accessible in the same way as the bands you mentioned, you could maybe check out Flying Lotus' Cosmogramma, some Aphex Twin, Autechre, Oneohtrix Point Never. They're all notable enough to be worth knowing in any case. (They're not my personal favorites, I prefer melody or good atmosphere.)

Also if you like the bands in the above post, there's Cluster who're really good. More krautrock/electropop than progressive but in the same ballpark.
03.06.2017 - 10:03
Candlemass
Defaeco
I doubt you'll find anything electronic that combines elements of Classical music and Jazz as strongly and widely as prog-rock did.
Most electronic music tends to be dance-oriented or experimental when it comes to sound-production.

I can think of Neo-classical electronic fusion artists, personally I find most boring.So to me, an obvious (non-boring) contender is the electronic music genre IDM ("Intelligence Dance music") AKA brain dance.

Aphex Twin. The "god" of electronic music (I'm tempted to remove those quotes). An old groovy classic:
Windowlicker
or from his newer masterpiece Syro:
minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix]. His discography is huge, I can highly recommend The Tuss too.
Another is Autehcre.
An old classic and favorite Clipper.
Their newer albums are more experimental.
Telefon Tel Aviv - Fahrenheit Fair Enough is a good paradigmatic example of IDM sound and excellent in itself.

As far as more interesting dance-oriented electronic music goes,
Ben Klock's Fabric 66 mix was an entry album for me. Geminii s awesome.
Ricardo Villalobos just released a new record. It's awesome too.
There are several others.

The pre-modern electronic music genre Krautorck, a genre I love, is worth exploring too.
05.06.2017 - 04:35
Uller
Thanks everyone for your replies, I am listening to your recommendations right know and I´ll let you know my thoughts.
----
12.06.2017 - 21:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I don't know if it's what youa re looking for but I highly enjoy this album by the Brazilian Amon Tobin. Plenty of jazz percussion and interesting passages from atmospheric and calm to fast and exciting beats.

----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.07.2017 - 20:46
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
They usually go under "ambient psytrance" but I'd consider Shpongle pretty progressive... Lots of varied instrumentation, influences from pretty much every corner of the world, sometimes weird tempos and generally "proggy" song structures.

09.07.2017 - 00:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^Shpongle's genre is progressive trance if I'm not mistaken
which should be a good guess if you wanna look for progressive electronic music :3

Some Infected Mushroom's stuff may also apply. They have some albums sounding similar to Shpongle but they change their style pretty often... And not always necessarily to the best.
There's also darkpsy which is a form of progressive psytrance, but the 'progressive' part is more due to the ascending nature of the mass of instruments rather than focused on song structure, I believe. The bands most oftens ound like the same, but sometimes you find out some interesting examples like Dark Soho or Hishiryo.
Oh, a band which i like a lot is the Synthetic Dream Foudnation. Not sure the subgenre.

There are also some Touhou influenced bands like ]MAJI or Mohican Sandbag if you don't mind. The related videos should be plenty of related music as well.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.07.2017 - 00:53
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oh if chiptune counts as electronic then there's always Jay Tholen...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.07.2017 - 05:00
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Written by Karlabos on 09.07.2017 at 00:45

^Shpongle's genre is progressive trance if I'm not mistaken
which should be a good guess if you wanna look for progressive electronic music :3

Some Infected Mushroom's stuff may also apply. They have some albums sounding similar to Shpongle but they change their style pretty often... And not always necessarily to the best.
There's also darkpsy which is a form of progressive psytrance, but the 'progressive' part is more due to the ascending nature of the mass of instruments rather than focused on song structure, I believe. The bands most oftens ound like the same, but sometimes you find out some interesting examples like Dark Soho or Hishiryo.
Oh, a band which i like a lot is the Synthetic Dream Foudnation. Not sure the subgenre.

There are also some Touhou influenced bands like ]MAJI or Mohican Sandbag if you don't mind. The related videos should be plenty of related music as well.

I've never seen Shpongle labeled as "progressive" actually, but yeah I think they very much are. Such great music, though I think they already hit their peak with "Nothing Lasts", we'll see if the next album proves me wrong. Probably my favorite band outside of metal (uhh and maybe reggae, don't hold it against me).

Infected Mushroom are very hit-or-miss indeed... Dark Soho are really good but I have to be in the right mood for it. Shpongle never fail to cheer me up.
27.09.2018 - 14:54
Ashe
Account deleted
I guess this would be Digital-Hardcore and Hard-Clash, but I recommend Atari Teenage Riot and Rabbit Junk. Two personal favorites. Also try The Enigma TNG.