Metal Storm logo
Dark Tranquillity vs In Flames

Original post

Posted by Black Winter, 09.07.2007 - 15:56
Your choice needs to be justified, is Dark tranquillity better with Mikael on the lead?
one thing about In Flames and DT, the vocals are very similar i think but what makes the difference is the lyrics and the melody,when it comes to solos ,acoustic and instrumental parts i think DT shows their advantage,for lyrics, just a fine look to DT titles and comparing them with In Flames titles shows that DT's are deeper, that's why i chose DT over In Flames. one other little difference between them is that In Flames are satanic while DT are not, i am not saying that satanic bands suck but it also counts for me.

Poll

it's known that the old DT vocalist went to In Flames,did he do right?

Dark Tranquillity
In Flames

Total votes: 168
26.05.2015 - 09:07
Ganondox

Written by deadone on 26.05.2015 at 01:57

Written by Ganondox on 26.05.2015 at 00:27

Say what you want about the album, but with Siren Charms Ander's vocals are far more dynamic than they've even been with DT, probably a bit too dynamic.

Anders clean voice is irritating and whining. When I hear it, all I want to do is kick him a few dozen times to shut him up.

Stanne's clean voice is good.

Anders used to have a good growl but he got rid of that on Clayman.

I can disagree completely, but whatever. What is true rather than just opinion is that Anders was very varied with his vocal approach on Siren Charms, not just doing perishing cleans and (weaker than prior) screams, but also all this weird industrial stuff.
26.05.2015 - 10:23
Ganondox

Written by deadone on 26.05.2015 at 09:35

Written by Ganondox on 26.05.2015 at 09:07

I can disagree completely, but whatever. What is true rather than just opinion is that Anders was very varied with his vocal approach on Siren Charms, not just doing perishing cleans and (weaker than prior) screams, but also all this weird industrial stuff.

All the variety in the world doesn't make him any less irritating IMO. Variety doesn't make a good singer.

Reminds me, there was a local metalcore band (This Future Chaos) whose singer sang most metal styles and did most badly. The loser guitarist stated online to kick my head in for saying they sucked. He refused to confront me though. Ultimate online warrior!

And I wasn't saying that automatically made him good, just dynamic.

Well, at least if it's only most styles he does badly he still has some hope.
01.06.2015 - 23:13
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
I definitely prefer Dark Tranquillity to In Flames, maybe with the exception of In Flames' Colony album. I also prefer Mikael's vocals to Anders'. However, its really interesting to see that In Flames rose to popularity much more quickly. I remember one of Jesper, Mikael, or Anders saying that In Flames was originally supposed to be a side project, implying Anders might always have been a 'lesser' talent. Some of Anders' earliest stuff with Dark Tranquillity and In Flames is really raw. Mikael's performance on Lunar Strain wasn't all that great either, but he certainly had some more polish on The Gallery.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
22.01.2016 - 21:54
Symbolichuman667
Account deleted
I voted for Dark Tranquillity, simply because I enjoy all their albums. I don't hate new In Flames,(some of their new songs are actually very good) but I can't listen to the full albums, because they're boring for me.
07.11.2021 - 08:24
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Dark Tranquillity all the way they are far more consistent, and of course have some real untouchable Gothenburg classics like; Damage Done, and The Gallery, far better imho than anything In Flames have done, the only albums I think are decent by In Flames are The Jester Race, and Whoracle, the rest range from average to abysmal.