Lots of metal Heads feel that this genre has
nothing to offer, that it is unintelegent and
without feeling, that it's all about smokin'
joints and gang wars.

But others may realize that rap and metal
arn't so different after all. Just look at
How Public Enemy Did a Song with Anthrax,
It's simple, both metal and rap can tend to have
rebelious and politically themed music. (punk to actually)
They both can indicate Drug problems and spiritual
Awareness.

For me, Rap is my favorite Genre of Music second
only to metal (Of Course!) Because I feel, well......
Pretty much the same as how I explained on the previous
Paragraph. It's intelligent, Political and for the most part
rebellious music. It also sounds good to me, If it's a good
M.C., the words flow like water with the Beat in the background.

So, what about you, is it stupid to you?
Do just not like the Sound?
Or maby you Love the sound,
and hey, do you relate to it?

Go Forth and Tell me!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: If you're going to critisize this genre of Music in any Negative way, Please make sure you critisize it with some inteligence. Statements like "The Only Good Rapper is a dead one," WILL BE MARKED AS A SPAM POST!!!
So please, remember that, and we're cool
31.05.2008 - 10:14
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=160] on 31.05.2008 at 04:41

@Deadraiser: Well, are La Caution black?

I don't think he's an active member anymore...
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
01.06.2008 - 12:37
Zombie, M.D.
I've been getting into rap recently. Particularly Wu Tang Clan and the artists affiliated with them. I downloaded 36 Chambers kind of jokingly, mainly to piss off someone on a road trip, but I really became infatuated with it. The dynamics all of the different members bring is amazing. What really sold me on rap/hiphop was "Liquid Swords" by GZA. The beats, provided by RZA, are amazing. Really eerie and dense, invoking paranoia almost. GZA is the most brilliant MC I have ever heard and criminally underrated. His delivery is cool, calculated and intimidating. "Liquid Swords" hasn't left my car stereo since I discovered it.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
01.06.2008 - 13:00
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 01.06.2008 at 12:37

I've been getting into rap recently. Particularly Wu Tang Clan and the artists affiliated with them. I downloaded 36 Chambers kind of jokingly, mainly to piss off someone on a road trip, but I really became infatuated with it. The dynamics all of the different members bring is amazing. What really sold me on rap/hiphop was "Liquid Swords" by GZA. The beats, provided by RZA, are amazing. Really eerie and dense, invoking paranoia almost. GZA is the most brilliant MC I have ever heard and criminally underrated. His delivery is cool, calculated and intimidating. "Liquid Swords" hasn't left my car stereo since I discovered it.

Hahaha, fresh meat

Yeah, that's the way it is with the Wu. They suck you in, and each member rotates at the top of your favorites list. 36 chambers is amazing and just absolutely raw, but they are one of the artists that actually have an album to compete with their debut, and that's their second release "Wu Tang Forever." The reason for that is the fact that while RZA's production isn't as raw as before (which is something Wu fans love) the beats are more sophisticated and even symphonic. What's more, subject matter in the lyrics is drastically expanded and you can hear a clear improvement from every member. BUT, 36 chambers is just too damn classic, and It's hard to top a song sick as "The Mystery of Chessboxin" (Triumph is the only one that did it imo)

Liquid Swords is a classic no doubt, but watch, you'll pick another debut from a solo member and you'll be just as infatuated. Listen to Raekwon's "Only Built for Cuban Linx." The Beats on that album are just as trippy and the lyrics, but it's got a different feel to it, a Raekown feel, ya know? And Ghostface's First two albums "Ironman" and "Supreme Clientele" are the exact same way, and then old dirty bastard's "Return to the 36 chambers" and then Method Man's Tical......and it keeps on going. It never gets dull either. That's why amongst hip hop groups, or maybe even solo artists, wu tang are my favorite.

By the way, GZA is Criminally underated, I definitly agree, but there are actually people in the clan more underated than him. In my opinion, Inspectah Deck easily rivals (but not neceserrily top) him lyrically, but he's the unsung hero of the clan. Than Masta Killa was the Aprentice og GZA, and his shit is just as deep, but with a different but similar style. Last of all, there's U-God, who can be a sick ass mother fucker once you come to apreciate his style. Those three-Deck, Masta Killa, and U-God, I would say are even more underated than the GZA.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

01.06.2008 - 23:17
Sluse
Account deleted
I listen to alot of tradition/true school hip-hop. Trip hop is definately my favorite hip-hop sub-genre.

Some of my favorites:
Deltron 3030
Del Tha Funkee
Public Enemy
RJD2
Ill Bill
02.06.2008 - 08:01
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Wow, never knew this track existed before...sick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lFZwHfAudw&feature=related
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

23.06.2008 - 21:57
Sunioj
EPMD anyone?
28.07.2008 - 00:09
Toast
Account deleted
Damn i'm really glad there's a rap thread on here.

I'm guessing there are plenty of rap haters on here, straight up because it's a metal forum...but when you actually look at the styles they do have quite a bit of similarities. The biggest similarity i see though, is that most metal kids listen to 50 cent once, and then hate rap for a lifetime; same thing with rap kids and Korn/Slipknot. Hope people on here are more open minded though.

Anyways rap's an awsome style, my top three artists at the moment are Tupac, Public Enemy, and my personal favourite group is Immortal Technique.
28.07.2008 - 04:15
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Sunioj on 23.06.2008 at 21:57

EPMD anyone?

I checked them out a little, and I must say, I like them alot. I need to look into them more.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.07.2008 - 22:09
Macedonia
Account deleted
Rap only listen kids in school. I have listening rap in 6 grade.50 cent, Eminem is some gangsta rapers.Now, I really dont like that music.Its borirng.
22.11.2008 - 16:05
Frankenchrist
Written by [user id=34045] on 28.07.2008 at 00:09

I'm guessing there are plenty of rap haters on here, straight up because it's a metal forum...but when you actually look at the styles they do have quite a bit of similarities. The biggest similarity i see though, is that most metal kids listen to 50 cent once, and then hate rap for a lifetime; same thing with rap kids and Korn/Slipknot. Hope people on here are more open minded though.

Anyways rap's an awsome style, my top three artists at the moment are Tupac, Public Enemy, and my personal favourite group is Immortal Technique.

immortal technique's not a group. he's one artist
----
Blat Blat
22.11.2008 - 20:20
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Frankenchrist on 22.11.2008 at 16:05

Yeah, I met someone who thought immortal technique was a group before. It was because of that song "Tell the Truth" with Mos Def and that other guy (lol). So now there are some people that think it's a group and not an individual artist.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

22.11.2008 - 21:22
Hamird
Lieutenant
Check this one, he's the only passable rapper who works in Iran. He's banned here..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QU1NNAH6b_g
23.11.2008 - 18:22
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Hamird on 22.11.2008 at 21:22

Check this one, he's the only passable rapper who works in Iran. He's banned here..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QU1NNAH6b_g

He's got a pretty strong flow, even though the intro sucked, I liked it I think.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

24.11.2008 - 02:52
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I believe, in my sorta kinda humble opinion, that i have found the most ridiculous rap album cover.

BEHOLDETH: http://www.netweed.com/prohiphop/graf/shrooms.jpg

BOW DOWN TO THE AWESOME THAT IS MAC MALL.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
24.11.2008 - 06:34
thesabbathfan
I respect rap as a music genre, that can have legit message behind it, but at the same time, I can't stand it. I just don't like the music at all.
----
24.11.2008 - 14:41
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by thesabbathfan on 24.11.2008 at 06:34

I respect rap as a music genre, that can have legit message behind it, but at the same time, I can't stand it. I just don't like the music at all.

youre right. rap isnt about music. its either a message or talking about how awesome you are. there no real middle ground.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
25.11.2008 - 00:38
Toast
Account deleted
Written by Frankenchrist on 22.11.2008 at 16:05

Really? Damn I never really look up much information on bands or artists that I like. Just assumed because the name sounds like a group's name rather then a single artist . My bad.
25.11.2008 - 04:30
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by LeChron James on 24.11.2008 at 14:41

youre right. rap isnt about music. its either a message or talking about how awesome you are. there no real middle ground.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. It's true that Rap can be, by nature, very ego-centric, and it's also true that there is alot of hip hop with a messege, but it can also be very much about the music too. Just Look up the RZA sometime, or DJ Muggs, or Dr. Dre. All of them are composers and Musical Genius's.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

25.11.2008 - 04:45
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Arian Totalis on 25.11.2008 at 04:30

I'm sorry but you're wrong. It's true that Rap can be, by nature, very ego-centric, and it's also true that there is alot of hip hop with a messege, but it can also be very much about the music too. Just Look up the RZA sometime, or DJ Muggs, or Dr. Dre. All of them are composers and Musical Genius's.

i wouldnt go as far as to call them musical geniuses. but i would say that they are very good composers and know how to write good lyrics in conjunction with good music but the overwhelming majority of rappers are more lyrics based than musically based. would you agree?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

25.11.2008 - 19:00
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by LeChron James on 25.11.2008 at 04:45

Written by Arian Totalis on 25.11.2008 at 04:30

i wouldnt go as far as to call them musical geniuses. but i would say that they are very good composers and know how to write good lyrics in conjunction with good music but the overwhelming majority of rappers are more lyrics based than musically based. would you agree?

Well, yeah, but that's because rap is a lyrically and rhythmically driven genre of music. I consider the lyricism and the words to be a part of the music itself, because when analyzing any genre of music, one must first consider it's primary elements.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

25.11.2008 - 19:11
No one hardly knows about this guy, from Atlanta GA, he's underground as fuck yet has the most sickest lines.

"Voltron" by T-Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiBaUr0Ag90
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
27.11.2008 - 04:49
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by I, The Quatropus on 25.11.2008 at 19:11

No one hardly knows about this guy, from Atlanta GA, he's underground as fuck yet has the most sickest lines.

"Voltron" by T-Rock

Eh, I guess I can feel him, but he sounds sorta generic. He's got a good flow and all, but how many rappers are gonna be like "Fat paper stacks and gats, killin cats, drownin rats, never step on the atlanta hats" I dunno, I just made that up but you get the idea. It's just not that intresting to me unless there's something unique about them.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

27.11.2008 - 05:12
Written by Arian Totalis on 27.11.2008 at 04:49

"Voltron" by T-Rock

Eh, I guess I can feel him, but he sounds sorta generic. He's got a good flow and all, but how many rappers are gonna be like "Fat paper stacks and gats, killin cats, drownin rats, never step on the atlanta hats" I dunno, I just made that up but you get the idea. It's just not that intresting to me unless there's something unique about them.

One will never be able to change the meaning behind gangsta rap and dirty south. It's all behind the meaning and you just gotta appreciate their skills other than what they sing about. I'll tell you though, he's one I consider an influence gangsta rapper. He's still my favorite.
----
27.11.2008 - 21:16
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by I, The Quatropus on 27.11.2008 at 05:12

"Voltron" by T-Rock

One will never be able to change the meaning behind gangsta rap and dirty south. It's all behind the meaning and you just gotta appreciate their skills other than what they sing about. I'll tell you though, he's one I consider an influence gangsta rapper. He's still my favorite.

Well, he's better than most Dirty South rappers, that's for sure. I can't take another fucking TI song, believe me. So if this guy blows up then I suppose it'll be a good thing, because the south hasn't had good representation since Ludacris and Outkast.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

22.12.2008 - 21:09
A.J Thunder
Written by Arian Totalis on 27.11.2008 at 21:16

Written by I, The Quatropus on 27.11.2008 at 05:12

"Voltron" by T-Rock

Well, he's better than most Dirty South rappers, that's for sure. I can't take another fucking TI song, believe me. So if this guy blows up then I suppose it'll be a good thing, because the south hasn't had good representation since Ludacris and Outkast.

I neither like Ludacris or Outkast. But a damn good representation from the south (i guess) is Young Buck. Been listening to he's Straight Outta Cashville album for a couple of weeks now and its really good.

I allso like Wu-Tang a lot especially 36 chambers wich has such an ug feeling in it because of rza's beats.
23.12.2008 - 14:45
Rafiek
Personally I don't really like rap lyrics. Most of the times it's about how cool the bling bling is and how many bitches they've boned. Or how badass the artist is. There are exceptions to the rule.
I've enjoyed some unions between rock/metal and rap. "Walk this way" - Run DMC with Aerosmith is one example.
I personally haven't heard a real heavy union. But that would be cool.
If Black Label Society would make a song with ..... Enimem, I think it could work.
23.12.2008 - 16:32
Written by Rafiek on 23.12.2008 at 14:45

Personally I don't really like rap lyrics. Most of the times it's about how cool the bling bling is and how many bitches they've boned. Or how badass the artist is. There are exceptions to the rule.

I can say the same for a lot of other genres, even metal.
----
24.12.2008 - 00:23
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by I, The Quatropus on 23.12.2008 at 16:32

Written by Rafiek on 23.12.2008 at 14:45

I can say the same for a lot of other genres, even metal.

Yeah, Egocentricity is everywhere certainly, but I can't deny that alot of mainstream rappers make this look like it's most dominant element.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

24.12.2008 - 03:14
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 28.07.2008 at 04:15

Written by Sunioj on 23.06.2008 at 21:57

EPMD anyone?

I checked them out a little, and I must say, I like them alot. I need to look into them more.

I'm watching the video for "You Gots To Chill" from '88. It's sweet , It makes me relaxed. The dancer int he back is hilarious.
24.12.2008 - 10:00
tulkas
el parcero
Anyone seen the video, or heard the song rapper's delight by sugarhill gang??
reeeaaally cool song, the original is about 14 mintues long, but it's great. it's one of the classic rap 'bands' and i'd guess they influenced more than one. at least it's obvious the influenced afroman. at the end of his song colt 45, he actually copies the lyrics form one part of this sing only he changes some words. i mean, it's like the same mlody and rythm only a few words changed. anyway, great song rappers delight. i highly recommend it for anyone who likes rap a lot
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top