Metal Storm logo
Best Male Power Metal Singer

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.10.2007 - 04:52
I know there are many other great singers out there, these are some of mine. If there's someone else please list them, I'm always willing to find new bands to love! Please feel free to say what you like, dislike about anything, everyone has an opinion.

Poll

Which singer would you want fronting your Power Metal band?

Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
Roy Khan (Kamelot)
Michael Kiske (Helloween)
Other (Please Specify)
Matt Barlow (Iced Earth/Pyramaze)
Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica)
Tobias Sammet (Edguy)
Fabio Lione (Rhapsody of Fire)
DC Cooper (Silent Force)

Total votes: 409
11.06.2008 - 00:14
Gordon Freeman
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 11.06.2008 at 00:07

Written by Gordon Freeman on 10.06.2008 at 23:20

I can not possibly overstate how average this singer is. Not even to be considered in a top 50 power metal singer discussion.

Maybe it's just the speed at which he is forced to sing that makes his voice sound so poor...I don't know.

i know it's just the matter of personal oponions and i'm not going to argue over this, but he is not as talentless as you say, i.e :he can sing extremely high notes AND Li (his band-mate) said that "He was the first guy we met who could actually sing what he said he could".
but as Li is his bandmate, he might be exaggerating!!!

Oh, I'm not saying talentless. I'm just saying mediocre.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
22.06.2008 - 18:03
Elio
Red Nightmare
hansi kursch!!! he rocks:thumbup:
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.06.2008 - 19:14
Jonnz of Steel
Tony Kakko. Just love his voice
20.08.2008 - 15:37
Janne
Hugin
for me:
1. Tony
2. Toby
3. Fabio
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
22.08.2008 - 06:24
Oracle
Orcinus
decisions decisions, who do you people have to make this so hard

I vote Hansi Kursch because he has a great voice ...
and also i pick Matt Barlow because he to has an amazing voice...
I like all in that list though
28.08.2008 - 01:40
Iron Priest
I voted for Khan. but honestly my favourite would be Kai Hansen. I know he wouldn't be considered as talented as these choices, but theres something in his voice thats original and catchy. I can't help but sing-a-long. Also I have yet to hear another singer thats sounds like him. Everyone else always has a duplicate. But if anyone knows of such a singer let me know.
28.08.2008 - 11:23
Abattoir
Staff
Well all above mentioned singers are realy good. But if I have to pick some of theme, I would say:
1.Hansi Kursch., 2.Kai Hansen, 3.Matt Barlow...and so on.
28.08.2008 - 16:06
Iron Priest
Written by Abattoir on 28.08.2008 at 11:23

Well all above mentioned singers are realy good. But if I have to pick some of theme, I would say:
1.Hansi Kursch., 2.Kai Hansen, 3.Matt Barlow...and so on.

Yes! another who thinks Kai should be on there.
29.08.2008 - 05:45
Hrothdane
Hansi will always be #1 vocalist for me just b/c his voice is so interesting to listen to and he has good range. Roy Khan would be #2 just b/c he has so much talent and range and emotion in his voice. Matt Barlow and Kai Hansen would be tied for #3 b/c neither one is the most talented singer ever, but there is just something about their voices that makes me want to listen and sing along.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
23.09.2008 - 23:35
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
ZP from Dragonforce has some talented voice and Sabaton.
CoB vocal is also good.
23.09.2008 - 23:54
Scottgun
Props to Kursch, but Kiske gets my vote.

Also, check out Jonny Lindkvist of Nocturnal Rites
----

Whenever a musician is interested in self-expression you know it's gonna suck--Robert Fripp
24.09.2008 - 17:43
Mietiskelijä
Account deleted
Roy Khan... He have a very good voice... He sing very well.
24.09.2008 - 18:08
-Soulreaper-
My vote would go to Joacim Cans from Hammerfall and Roberto Dimitri Liapakis from Mystic Prophecy. 2 of my favorite power metal vocalist. But Roy Khan is also a very good vocalist.
23.10.2008 - 05:29
Barbaydos
Account deleted
Propably Zp from dragonforce and Tony Kakko from Sonata Arctica
23.10.2008 - 13:24
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Rusell Allen,Andre Matos, and the guy from Arachnes also have a voice that fits great in power metal
----
Stay Metal !!!
31.10.2008 - 06:38
erozzmetrock
Andi Deris !!!
31.10.2008 - 06:50
Hrothdane
Written by erozzmetrock on 31.10.2008 at 06:38

Andi Deris !!!

YES someone else who likes Andi Deris! While not as technically proficient as some of the other singers on this list, he does have an interesting timbre to his voice that really fits Helloween's music and a good stage presence.
----

31.10.2008 - 14:32
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I voted for Other. That guy's voice is amazing! lol seriously, I voted for Other, cause I can't understand why the singer from Symphony X is not in the poll, I guess Symphony X is considered Prog Metal by many... But they're Prog/Power and the singer (I don't remember his name...) has one of the most beautiful male voices I ever heard (especially on Paradise Lost).
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
01.11.2008 - 11:22
nana.MD
Star-Queen
I voted for hansi but mostly because blind guardian is my fav power metal band...i find vocals in this genre quite alike
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
01.11.2008 - 18:56
Hrothdane
Written by nana.MD on 01.11.2008 at 11:22

i find vocals in this genre quite alike

Really? Maybe for some of the more generic bands, but singers like Roy Khan, Hansi, Matt Barlow, Kai Hansen, Marco Heitala, Mattias Blad, Tony Kakko, and Daniel Heiman I find to be extremely distinctive in technique, style, and timbre.
----

03.11.2008 - 02:35
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Hrothdane on 01.11.2008 at 18:56

Really? Maybe for some of the more generic bands, but singers like Roy Khan, Hansi, Matt Barlow, Kai Hansen, Marco Heitala, Mattias Blad, Tony Kakko, and Daniel Heiman I find to be extremely distinctive in technique, style, and timbre.

I must agree with you (sorry Liz hehe).
Vocals in bands like Hammerfall, Nocturnal Rites or even Stratovarius are very different from BG. And Kamelot has kind of a unique vocalist in many ways imo. Khan's voice is nothing similar to any other band I've heard.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
03.11.2008 - 08:54
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Dark Blood on 03.11.2008 at 02:35

Written by Hrothdane on 01.11.2008 at 18:56

I must agree with you (sorry Liz hehe).
Vocals in bands like Hammerfall, Nocturnal Rites or even Stratovarius are very different from BG. And Kamelot has kind of a unique vocalist in many ways imo. Khan's voice is nothing similar to any other band I've heard.

lol it's ok
...maybe the thing is i'm not into this genre anymore and i get bored...stratovarius and blind guardian hmm i do find them alike...kamelot, ok it's a little bit different...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
03.11.2008 - 19:19
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by nana.MD on 03.11.2008 at 08:54

lol it's ok
...maybe the thing is i'm not into this genre anymore and i get bored...stratovarius and blind guardian hmm i do find them alike...kamelot, ok it's a little bit different...

I understand what you mean. I get bored of Stratovarius too.. besides there's many Strato copies out there. Maybe you should try different bands with other influences as well. Maybe Firewind, Eternal Tears Of Sorrow or Battlelore?
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
08.11.2008 - 09:37
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Gordon Freeman on 10.06.2008 at 23:20

Written by AiwiAstwihad on 08.06.2008 at 18:51

My vote goes to ZP Theart, Dragonforce's (also known as DragonHeart) Vocalist

I can not possibly overstate how average this singer is. Not even to be considered in a top 50 power metal singer discussion.

Maybe it's just the speed at which he is forced to sing that makes his voice sound so poor...I don't know.

Agreed. One of the more boring and unoriginal voices in metal. I could never get into Dragonforce (exception to VOTD (song only, mainly because of insane solo)).
To the dude quoted, they WERE called Dragonheart in their demo years only, not now.
08.11.2008 - 09:46
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I am another who thinks Kai is a great power vocalist. One of the best power screamers for the genre, but he cant top Daniel Heiman from Lost Horizon!

The best overall voice and talent i give to Roy Kahn. He is just so good.
The best for power metal (out of the list) for me is Matt Barlow.

I have no idea how Fabio Lione is on the list? You cant even understand a word he says half the time.

I think Timo Kotipelto and Daniel Heiman are awesome too. BUT my favourite i think i would have to say is Nils Patrik Johansson from Wuthering Heights.
10.11.2008 - 03:31
Hrothdane
Written by Dark Cornatus on 08.11.2008 at 09:46

I have no idea how Fabio Lione is on the list? You cant even understand a word he says half the time.

Absolutely, his accent just comes through too strong. On some songs it doesn't bother me, but on others I think it is really distracting. He isn't bad, but there is no way I would nominate him for best power metal singer, ESPECIALLY without Kai Hansen and Daniel Heiman on the list.
----

11.11.2008 - 11:06
DanielViking
IMO, he's a genious not just only on vocals but in song writting too... Tobias Sammet (Edguy) and Avantasia.
11.11.2008 - 12:59
BrightNight
I would have thought Matt Barlow would at least be in the top 3. I know Hansi Kursch and Michael Kiske and their voices are really beautifull and extremely fitting for the music of the bands. But they cannot form and fuse the raw power and emotion in their voice like only Matthew Barlow can.

Maybe he is a singer who you cant really number allong the power metal singers only. In my eyes his voice is way darker ander deeper then the standard power metal voice. And works on different levels.

Anyway i think Hans Kursch is a good number one power metal singer, but Matt Barlow is still the number one singer in Heavy Metal on a lot more different levels then other singer could hope and would wish to achieve.

Ofcourse this is just my opinion.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
11.11.2008 - 17:15
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Wow ive always had a duel between BARLOW-KHAN-MATOS this time Khan won because his voice seems out of the most trained and worked. but i think Matos is missing i might have voted for him
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
12.11.2008 - 08:46
erozzmetrock
Written by Hrothdane on 31.10.2008 at 06:50

Written by erozzmetrock on 31.10.2008 at 06:38

Andi Deris !!!

YES someone else who likes Andi Deris! While not as technically proficient as some of the other singers on this list, he does have an interesting timbre to his voice that really fits Helloween's music and a good stage presence.

that's right, bro !!