Metal Storm logo
Anathema

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 20.05.2006 - 00:06
Interesting threads should be re-opened So here's a thread about Anathema!!

What could we say, apart from the fact they're such a great band
I personnaly love the atmosphere they manage to create, their lyrics,... The word describing the best Anathema is "emotion" IMO. And I tend to prefer their latest work which doesn't really sound like Doom Metal anymore. What do you think about their evolution ?

The question in the old forum was about their new song "Everything" which you can download. I liked it, only listened to it once though. It's not my favourite, but it sounds refreshing, somehow different... I think I should listen to it again, one try is not enough
17.11.2007 - 06:41
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Just can't get enough of Eternity... that albums is truly far from what I regulary listen to, but what a subtle masterpiece is that shit!
24.11.2007 - 20:14
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
A brand new Anathema song entitled "Angels Walk Among Us" is available for download at this location.
24.11.2007 - 22:14
Nilla
Account deleted
I used to like this band a lot especially their album "The silent enigma" but their latest releases....well it's not exactly bad music but it just don't appeal to me in the same way. I'm actually just at the moment missing a concert with them and Porcupine tree here in my hometown. I'll give the new album a chance, allthough from what I've heard from it I suspect it will be pretty much like the previous one.
27.11.2007 - 14:37
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Elite
Yes Nilla, the new album will be like the previous one. Jamie was clear last Monday when I did an interview with him, "Anathema now is not a Metal band and you know it, and anyway we're not depressed anymore lol"....
I heard some of the songs and they're great, but yes it's more a kind of dark Progressive rock now? I don't care I like it anyway
The new album will be out before the summer, in May or June, and YES they will have soon a deal with a good record company but they didn't want to say which one.

You'll have soon a lot of interesting informations with this interview, I'm working on it
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
27.11.2007 - 14:50
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Interesting. And I'm with you, it doesnt matter what style they are playing, if they make good songs I will be there to buy it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.01.2008 - 19:40
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Anathema evolved from an average Death Doom metal band, to one of the most emotional and telented prog/alternative/ambient rock bands ever. I really like their latest stuff better, and A Natural Disaster is simply one of my favorite albums ever
----
17.01.2008 - 19:44
Duy Hung
Account deleted
We want the new album, we want the new album
19.01.2008 - 20:28
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by [user id=14272] on 17.01.2008 at 19:44

we're almost there ok?

They always take so long but its worth it. Anathema never disappointed me.
----

My Instagram
23.01.2008 - 17:11
Cruel Desire
Account deleted
they are more like atmosphiric rock now adays
24.01.2008 - 00:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=27418] on 23.01.2008 at 17:11

they are more like atmosphiric rock now adays

yes thay are tahy arnt metal anymore thay arent band what I use to love9still love old albums) its like doomster soul after commit suicide
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.01.2008 - 11:13
Duy Hung
Account deleted
A friend of mine posted this on my Facebook last night :

"there are plans for me to produce Anathema's upcoming record. They haven't released an album in five years and so the new record will be A DOUBLE ALBUM" - Steven Wilson

Don't know from where she got it but if it's true then .... HURRAY!!!!
25.01.2008 - 11:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=14272] on 25.01.2008 at 11:13

A friend of mine posted this on my Facebook last night :

"there are plans for me to produce Anathema's upcoming record. They haven't released an album in five years and so the new record will be A DOUBLE ALBUM" - Steven Wilson

Don't know from where she got it but if it's true then .... HURRAY!!!!

I dont care but if its in band home page or some other true sites its true, if not its lies
----

26.01.2008 - 14:19
Inlé
This one of those bands that I really liked at one point but they haven't really stood the test of time with me.

The Silent Enigma was always my favourite album of theirs.

Funnily enough Pattersons side project "Antimatter" is one of my favourite bands. They seem to create a better, and more minimalist atmosphere, IMO.
28.01.2008 - 18:43
WAsH
Account deleted
hey guyz ... the ANATHEMA .. shoud make some party ...
28.01.2008 - 18:45
WAsH
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 19.01.2008 at 20:28

Written by [user id=14272] on 17.01.2008 at 19:44

we're almost there ok?

They always take so long but its worth it. Anathema never disappointed me.

YUP
22.04.2008 - 12:59
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
who said this band is low , that is so good . I exist and born in , my fav song is : regret . nut I must say I prefer new version of band I mean after doom
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
23.04.2008 - 13:18
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
my opinions about the last interveiw with anathema by Jeff:

Jamie: And we're not a Metal band anymore… You know this…
yeas sure we know , but i dont think that if they want to change the rock to pop someone will like them again!
i like also the last album of anathema but unfortunatly the lyrics and the music of the last 3 songs r really disappointing. i will love their new album too, as i loved metallica's st.anger !!! but if they want to do it like this 3 songs, i know that their fans will sorry.

-Jeff: I read somewhere that the new album and the lyrics will be a bit more happy. Is it true and why did you choose to do that?

Jamie: It depends of what you find happy or not. The old stuff is all really introspective and it depended of the personal situations of the songwriters back in time. Now it's still the same but the people are feeling differently so in some ways some songs have a really positive message yes… because… we're not depressed anymore! And we're not a Metal band anymore… You know this… (SHIT)

i can listen to britney to fell happy and positive too then i dont need anathema

at least james didnt say that he is gonna be happy!

Jamie: She has no choice! She is an official member [laughs] She has a beautiful voice and she will sing a lot more on the new album and she will be touring a lot more with us as well.

its a good news for me cause i like her voice so much and wish that the songs which she will sing would better thatn the other 3 songs

now look this is a part of "A Simple Mistake" taken form darklyrics.com and the intersting thing is that the one who entered the lyrics there wrote some words with caps !!!!! look:

I have found my way to fly free from the constraints of time
I have soared through the sky seen life far below in mind
Breathed in truth, love, serene, sailed on OCEANS OF BELIEF
Searched and found life inside, we're not just a moment in time...

OCEANS OF BELIEF (SHIT)

what is Anathema's meaning?!!!!

we're not just a moment in time...(SHIT)

look here :

album alternative4:

1. Shroud Of False

WE ARE JUST A MOMENT IN TIME
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
Visions from a dying brain
I hope you don't understand

they have to change the band's name
09.09.2008 - 23:11
Anathemani@c
Written by [user id=31891] on 23.04.2008 at 13:18

Jamie: And we're not a Metal band anymore? You know this?
yeas sure we know , but i dont think that if they want to change the rock to pop someone will like them again!
i like also the last album of anathema but unfortunatly the lyrics and the music of the last 3 songs r really disappointing. i will love their new album too, as i loved metallica's st.anger !!! but if they want to do it like this 3 songs, i know that their fans will sorry.

i can listen to britney to fell happy and positive too then i dont need anathema

its a good news for me cause i like her voice so much and wish that the songs which she will sing would better thatn the other 3 songs

OCEANS OF BELIEF (SHIT)

look here :

album alternative4:

1. Shroud Of False

A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind

My opinion for this post..
I 'd like to assure you that I love "Violence" as much as I love "The silent enigma(orchestral)". And all (even 3) songs that Lee sings are in my top favs songs EVER...
Talking about "Anathema's meaning" on these lyrics, know that the own band has many times said that they leave each fan translate Anathema's lyrics for themselves, so find your own meaning for these "OCEANS OF BELIEF".
Anathema and each other band are people like us who just have the ability to translate their feelings to music so beautifully... And I do recognise that they deserve to be dissapointed and other times be happy.. That is why they have evolved their style without demanding us to follow them.... If you dont like them, don listen to them...
The name thing has been such an old "headache" to the band... I inform you (if you dont know) that they have finally decided to keep this name...ANATHEMA.. And that is because of their history.. Which makes them proud of themselves... and keeps us -the fans- closer and closer...
You posted that: "at least james didnt say that he is gonna be happy!" -------- Dont YOU allow him to be a happy person???
"i can listen to britney to fell happy and positive too then i dont need anathema" ------ Why don't you try??? xD LoL!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
10.09.2008 - 10:22
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Anathemani@c on 09.09.2008 at 23:11

Written by [user id=31891] on 23.04.2008 at 13:18

Jamie: And we're not a Metal band anymore… You know this…

OCEANS OF BELIEF (SHIT)

look here :

album alternative4:

1. Shroud Of False

A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind

My opinion for this post..
I 'd like to assure you that I love "Violence" as much as I love "The silent enigma(orchestral)". And all (even 3) songs that Lee sings are in my top favs songs EVER...
Talking about "Anathema's meaning" on these lyrics, know that the own band has many times said that they leave each fan translate Anathema's lyrics for themselves, so find your own meaning for these "OCEANS OF BELIEF".
Anathema and each other band are people like us who just have the ability to translate their feelings to music so beautifully... And I do recognise that they deserve to be dissapointed and other times be happy.. That is why they have evolved their style without demanding us to follow them.... If you dont like them, don listen to them...
The name thing has been such an old "headache" to the band... I inform you (if you dont know) that they have finally decided to keep this name...ANATHEMA.. And that is because of their history.. Which makes them proud of themselves... and keeps us -the fans- closer and closer...
You posted that: "at least james didnt say that he is gonna be happy!" -------- Dont YOU allow him to be a happy person???
"i can listen to britney to fell happy and positive too then i dont need anathema" ------ Why don't you try??? xD LoL!

no i dont really like to see jayms with such lyrics. i listen to anathema cause i liked their lyrics. for me lyrics is the most important part of the music. eveyone has his/her opinion.

do u know there is a shakira and such singers and bands? did u ever think that why metal fans rnt into pop music? i dont like to see anathema like spears. but i have to say that im a loyal fan. i will listen to their new music. but i know that i cant enjoy it like before.

happiness! in metal ? doom metal? FUCKKK (i know they sold their souls and rnt doomers right now!!) tomorrow they will sing about sex. and u will ask me "u dont let them to fuck?"
ur question is very funny. its none of mine business if they like to be happy. but they r now famus! with these old fans yeah? and they dont like this music and lyrics. so they can change their band's name and do what they want!! but they dont do this, cause they know that they cant sell.

take a look at holly books u will find what is oceans of "OCEANS OF BELIEF". take a look at darklyrics.com u will find that they it was really funny for them!!! cause they wrote the words with caps as me.

"sorry for unmetal anathema"
10.09.2008 - 15:09
Anathemani@c
Quote:
i listen to anathema cause i liked their lyrics. for me lyrics is the most important part of the music. eveyone has his/her opinion.

do u know there is a shakira and such singers and bands? did u ever think that why metal fans rnt into pop music? i dont like to see anathema like spears. but i have to say that im a loyal fan. i will listen to their new music. but i know that i cant enjoy it like before.

happiness! in metal ? doom metal? FUCKKK (i know they sold their souls and rnt doomers right now!!) tomorrow they will sing about sex. and u will ask me "u dont let them to fuck?"
ur question is very funny. its none of mine business if they like to be happy. but they r now famus! with these old fans yeah? and they dont like this music and lyrics. so they can change their band's name and do what they want!! but they dont do this, cause they know that they cant sell.

take a look at holly books u will find what is oceans of "OCEANS OF BELIEF". take a look at darklyrics.com u will find that they it was really funny for them!!! cause they wrote the words with caps as me.

"sorry for unmetal anathema"

I agree that every opinion differs from another, but if you listen to music only for the lyrics go and try some poetry, ok? Music just contains lyrics, it's not only lyrics..

OK Mr Loyal, give Anathema one more try! You are really kind! But you never really liked Anathema that much. And it is something more than funny that you compare Anathema with Spears and Shakira. And I doubt if you simply know what do these women play as a kind of music cause they differ themselves ( talking about shakira and spears).I could in some way compare anathema with radiohead (talking about "trends" and "dissapointment") but they have made beautiful music being happy and sad too.. But I doubt again that you know them..

Anathema now more are not doom metal, that is why "I give them permission-even if you dont- " to be happy persons and just make some happy music.

I think that Anathema is one of the few bands to play songs from their past that now arent alike newer stuff. And they are true FANS they will continue listening to them without complaining and demandin the band to copy itself. You think yourself as a wiseman,that knows anathema lyrics.. Go and read the lyrics of Nocturnal Emission. If you dont know this song it's in the Silent Enigma album. It refers clearly to sex..

And it's not you who will decide about the bands name.. If you want, buy the albums to support the artists and just rename the bands name with a pen so that you will be finally pleased that "your-fav-old-band-anathema-has-changed-name-among-style".

Sorry but you didnt understand what I told you in my last post.. "OCEANS OF BELIEF" can be translated in many, different ways for each person depending on his experiences from life. And we dont all have the same experiences.. And it seems that you look for the translation of lyrics in the Holy Books which -MAYBE- means that you're a religius person...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
04.11.2008 - 21:58
Land Of Doom
Very Good Album From Anathema 2008 Hindsight

A wonderful Death Doom Metal
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
04.11.2008 - 22:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Land Of Doom on 04.11.2008 at 21:58

A wonderful Death Doom Metal

Only from Their earliest demos to Silent Enigma... Then nothing like Death Doom.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.11.2008 - 17:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Yes, it's not death doom at all. Only if your imagination is too active
----

My Instagram
16.11.2008 - 15:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I was at my uncle's place the other day, and he's a big collector of vinyl and music in general. He must own several thousands of vinyls/cds in a lot of genres. I was just browsing through his collection as he and I can always talk good music, and was startled to see "Anathema - A Fine Day To Exit" there! I was really surprised. I told him that Anathema were once a very influential Metal band, and he was shocked too haha. My aunt (they're brother and sister) overheard our conversation and said she had some stuff from Anathema too. That was even a bigger surprise as she is not really a collector/big music expert, but more of a casual listener.

So yeah, that was weird but cool.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.11.2008 - 15:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 06.11.2008 at 17:51

Yes, it's not death doom at all. Only if your imagination is too active

Or read media or doom-metal.com Snathema - death/doom and didnt read all article, its case when people dont know much about metal, just listen media,
----

16.11.2008 - 15:56
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Lucas on 16.11.2008 at 15:08

I was at my uncle's place the other day, and he's a big collector of vinyl and music in general. He must own several thousands of vinyls/cds in a lot of genres. I was just browsing through his collection as he and I can always talk good music, and was startled to see "Anathema - A Fine Day To Exit" there! I was really surprised. I told him that Anathema were once a very influential Metal band, and he was shocked too haha. My aunt (they're brother and sister) overheard our conversation and said she had some stuff from Anathema too. That was even a bigger surprise as she is not really a collector/big music expert, but more of a casual listener.

So yeah, that was weird but cool.

You have a nice family, Lucas
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
17.11.2008 - 01:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Yes, it's not death doom at all.

Unfortunately not any more. Cause IMO only their death doom period was great to good and after that... well, the less said the better (just like The Gathering fucking up after their death doom period)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.11.2008 - 11:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2008 at 01:58

Yes, it's not death doom at all.

Unfortunately not any more. Cause IMO only their death doom period was great to good and after that... well, the less said the better (just like The Gathering fucking up after their death doom period)

Yes I was talking about their new "period" obviously because someone said Hindsight was death/doom. I guess a lot of us wish that was the case Including me, because I cherish those albums, I think they were perfect even their EP's were something. And not a lot of people pay attention to their Ep's.
----

My Instagram
17.11.2008 - 14:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Onlu band who did not fucked all up from early Death/doom are MDB , ok % album was more gothic, but its one album , but those early bands fucked all , ok Paradise Lost try go beck to roots, but others cant, I can not image next Anathema or Gathering play same like in first realise, IMO 90% of nowdays funs be mad and so angry what hepen whit band, but how much of those funs know how bands was in early days , maybe 10%
Its hard to choose what I like better in changinmg era. PL. Anathema, Gathering, , I know for shore all sucks , and sucks more how new metallica(because thay still are metal)
----

17.11.2008 - 15:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
How can 90% of the fans of these bands be mad about them changing their sound, if they probably have fourty times more fans as they did in the old days? the older fans are only a veeeery small part and the angry part of those older fans will be even smaller. and a band should never base a decision solely on the will of the fans.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama