Metal Storm logo
Depressive Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 20.05.2006 - 06:20
There have been a lot of threads created in the past about this, but hopefully this can become the definitive guide to depressive bm. If you have any depressive bm bands you enjoy, please share them. I'll start by posting a few (I haven't heard all of them, but I plan to quite soon).

Burzum (Nothing more needs to be said, really)

Drudkh: Awesome band from the Ukraine, especially in terms of atmosphere. In terms of dbm, the first album is probably better than the latter ones (I only have Autumn Aurora which is stunning).

Krohm: Havent heard but plan to get 'A World through Dead Eyes' soon. I would like to hear some opinions.

Beatrik: Again, I only plan to get Journey through the End of Life. I would like some opinions.

Veil: Relatively unknown USBM band. I have heard good things about their release 'Dolor' available from Autumn Winds Prod.

I chose not to mention Xasthur, as I hardly find them depressive, just tedious. WAY overhyped due to this whole 'suicidal blackmetal' craze.
If anyone could post info on some Swedish dbm such as Hypothermia, Kyla, Durthang etc that would be excellent.
19.06.2007 - 13:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 19.06.2007 at 13:01

did anybody hear Taarma? depressive black from afghanistan, with basement like productions, and a killer atmosphere. recommended..

Yes I heard this solo project and it is truly utterly amazingly crap. Wannabe Xasthur rip-off and not worth a cent.

I totally agree with the following review:
http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showreview.php?id=9509&lang=en
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.06.2007 - 17:00
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
New Alcest album anyone? Opinions?
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
20.06.2007 - 17:36
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Wouldn't say it's Depressive Black. But it is gonna be awesome for sure!!!

When is it going to be released again? I've been waiting for it, since those samples are on MySpace.

It's gonna be aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome!!

----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.06.2007 - 19:09
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 20.06.2007 at 17:36

Wouldn't say it's Depressive Black. But it is gonna be awesome for sure!!!

When is it going to be released again? I've been waiting for it, since those samples are on MySpace.

It's gonna be aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome!!

Its leaked...
20.06.2007 - 19:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

The horror! The pain!! The.. dreadful waiting, while it has leaked.

This is going to be harder than waiting for Behemoth x 10000000.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.06.2007 - 20:14
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Yeah, not depressive black metal. I agree. But a very unique form of BM which has similar structure as Depressive BM, but strangely sounds calm and different, is what Alcest play.

Fucking gooooood.

Now Playing: Deathspell Omega - II - [Kénôse] - [06:20 of 11:25]
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
22.06.2007 - 10:01
mizferac
Account deleted
Anyone mentioned Draugsang? As far as I know they have only one EP, Seil Pa Skyggans Hav, a very good one if you ask me. Melanchonic and dark as fuck.
22.06.2007 - 10:38
villain
Quote:
I cannot really see why you see that cover of Burzum as depressive, generally, Nargaroth's songs aren't really focused on depressive emotions.

I was talking about that specific song not general nargaroth songs. I think its damn saddening, the pace is slower and it seems that kanwulf was is crying.
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
22.06.2007 - 16:25
Vakshay
Account deleted
I am going to start posting here again

Recently in terms of DBM I've been listening to Moat, USBM which is kind of depressive I guess, some good riffery anyway. I have 'the Sun is Destroying Us All' which is good but they have a new album out soon. Nothing beats Abyssic Hate.

Also been spinning Misery's Omen, blackened/extreme doom which is very good. The vocals are pretty retarded (although I'm not really a doom expert) but some of the solos are fantastic, their self titled ep is recommended for everyone here into this sort of stuff.
29.06.2007 - 09:36
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Checked out both of those bands, and while I wasn't too much into Moat, Misery's Omen is very good. I just ordered myself the self-titled EP. Only heard the first two songs though, but I expect all of it to be good.

And the vocals are a bit 'retarded', but also very 'charming' if you ask me.
----

29.06.2007 - 10:19
Vakshay
Account deleted
Well I guess Moat is a bit of a vague example of depressive bm, I think they are pretty good though.

That Misery's Omen EP has some great tracks, a few of them are a bit fast and not as 'depressive' as such, but a lot of them are really intense. They have really good acoustic breaks and some epic solos. 'Desolate Winds of Mars; is my fave track.
08.07.2007 - 06:10
Puff
The Forlorn
Some might wanna check out Sterbend From Germany. altought they are nothing new and some may call them Burzum Copycats, they do create well an epic/depressive atmosphere and i consider them to be above average depressing bm bands
----
08.07.2007 - 13:48
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
^ Dwelling lifeless is a fking masterpiece ...... 'above average' ehhhh sounds bad.
08.07.2007 - 18:07
Puff
The Forlorn
I meant that they are better than most bands playing nowdays.

and yeah Dwelling Lifeless is a fuckin masterpiece!
----
13.07.2007 - 15:35
Bubonic
Sterbend musically is very simple, the guitar structures are nothing special, but the atmosphere is great. Their vocalist is amazing. About new records, the new Shining album was a pleasant surprise to me.
13.07.2007 - 20:56
Mugicha
Account deleted
This has nothing with deppresive BM but since I can't creat own topics I ask here. When I look at band info I can see fans but how do they get on that list? is it just to click somewhere? Would appriciate an answer
13.07.2007 - 21:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=24790] on 13.07.2007 at 20:56

This has nothing with deppresive BM but since I can't creat own topics I ask here. When I look at band info I can see fans but how do they get on that list? is it just to click somewhere? Would appriciate an answer

OMG you can ask such quastens here
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=5268
Only way are when you eddit profile fav bands you write band name there
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.09.2007 - 22:56
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Checking out Sterbend.
----

30.09.2007 - 23:06
Damnated
Churchburner
Sterbend is good. I actually forgot about them..
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
30.09.2007 - 23:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Damnated on 30.09.2007 at 23:06

Shame on you!

Anyway, heard a song off their myspace (fansite) because downloading is taking ages and this is indeed very enjoyable. Good stuff!
----

30.09.2007 - 23:13
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Lucas on 30.09.2007 at 23:08

Shame on you!

Anyway, heard a song off their myspace (fansite) because downloading is taking ages and this is indeed very enjoyable. Good stuff!

can you get their stuff, though? i can help, you know
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
30.09.2007 - 23:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Damnated on 30.09.2007 at 23:13

Written by Lucas on 30.09.2007 at 23:08

Shame on you!

can you get their stuff, though? i can help, you know

A link would be nice. PM please.. and I'm also interested in some Wigrid.
----

30.09.2007 - 23:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Lucas on 30.09.2007 at 23:18

A link would be nice. PM please.. and I'm also interested in some Wigrid.

check Sterbend first
----

01.10.2007 - 07:05
Zombie, M.D.
Im too lazy to skim through the thread to check if Ive already touted them about, but I highly recommend Mortifera. "Vastiia Tenebrd Mortifera" is probably the most soul crushing cd Ive ever heard, regardless of genre. Its not as up-front, flamboyantly depressed and stuff like Forgottem Tomb and such. Maybe melancholic or nostalgic would be better words. Either way, I appreciate how much more subtle and romantic it is when compared to the bulk of depressive black metal. Even on what is surely my 1,000th listen I still get a sinking feeling in my chest or goosebumps on the back of my neck when I listen to it,
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
01.10.2007 - 15:40
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I own that disc too and it is indeed damn great. Haven't listened to it a thousand times though, it is one of those records that deserves for more airplay in my collection.
----

01.10.2007 - 20:55
mankvill
Don't know if I've already posted or not, but:

LLN is great for some depressive Black Metal.

Aäkon Këëtrëh is fantastic, and some early Mütiilation. Silencer is great, and then Xasthur and Leviathan are pretty awesome too. I'm just getting into Forgotten Tomb.
01.10.2007 - 21:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by mankvill on 01.10.2007 at 20:55

Aäkon Këëtrëh is fantastic, and some early Mütiilation. Silencer is great, and then Xasthur and Leviathan are pretty awesome too. I'm just getting into Forgotten Tomb.

Thats a fact its more depresive suicide BM something totaly depresive and seems members think about suicide ewery day
----

01.10.2007 - 22:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Bad English on 01.10.2007 at 21:56

Thats a fact its more depresive suicide BM something totaly depresive and seems members think about suicide ewery day

About what band are you talking? The one 'thinks about suicide every day'.
----

01.10.2007 - 22:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 01.10.2007 at 22:28

Written by Bad English on 01.10.2007 at 21:56

About what band are you talking? The one 'thinks about suicide every day'.

Forgotten Tomb and lil Mütiilation
----

18.11.2007 - 15:00
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Anyone a fan of Anti? I thought The Insignificance Of Life was one damn good release.
----