Metal Storm logo
The easiest genre to get into

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 22.03.2007 - 05:18
As opposite to the thread: the most difficult genre to get into, I'd be interesting to see your opinions on this issue.
Imo, getting into a genre deppends of the music we listen to, besides Metal and what we search in Metal, for example: I got really easy into Gothic Metal because I was interested in the dark side of music, life, art... and I got really interested in the gothic culture for some time.
So, imo, the easiest genre to get into would be Power or Heavy, I can't decide which is the easiest one
17.03.2008 - 16:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by NOИ on 03.03.2008 at 19:45

Heavy, Power, Folk, Gothic, offcourse Melo-Death and Gothenburg and maybe Melodic / Symphonic Black Metal. but I personally started with Greek Rock and Nu Metal when it was a trend here in Athens...

You know where can I get Bootsroke lyrics for song ''Hooligans''
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.03.2008 - 03:07
DorianGray
for me it was heavy metal

but I can see that power and folk metal also have there softer sides in it that attracts people
I have grown into metal with the years one genre at a time
----
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful."
08.05.2008 - 22:02
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i think its easy to get into softer metal like folk as its not as agressive and alos ambient music, its something easy on the ears. i think the limit would be melodic death as its also easy to listen to and kinda fun sounding with most interesting sounds
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
10.05.2008 - 11:33
NuclearRedneck
Account deleted
Power metal, if ass rock/hair metal doesn't count.
10.05.2008 - 13:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=32112] on 10.05.2008 at 11:33

It counts man it belongs to=sucky family hair metal sam elike power metal sometimes dont belongs to metal family
----

10.05.2008 - 17:36
NuclearRedneck
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 10.05.2008 at 13:55

Written by [user id=32112] on 10.05.2008 at 11:33

It counts man it belongs to=sucky family hair metal sam elike power metal sometimes dont belongs to metal family

I suppose hair metal then, because the mass majority would probably rather listen to music about parties, sex, drugs, and all that noise than about war and conquering the orcs with the elves as your allies and such. Both subgenres have clean vocals, and that's a good thing if you want airplay. Hair metal has the added advantage of being that much more catchy (last I checked they still play "Cum on Feel The Noise" at American football games, even though some power metal thing about war and gaining territory might be more appropriate.)
10.05.2008 - 17:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
But hair metal was more outlaw attitude, girls, letter, denim, booze, drugs , sex but power metal are more 'parents' metal and polite, nothing outlaw and lyrics about dragons and science
----

09.06.2008 - 16:34
thvnderforge
for the easiest genre to get into was definatly power. its just so amazing i started off listening to bands like thunderstone, hammerfall, gamma ray , stratovarius and nightwish. and now im hooked one it i listen to over 200 power metal bands and are constantly finding new ones. i mean i love other genres to like black, technical and brutal death, lackened death, heavy, and some thrash, but power is just my favorite. but yea nightwish sucks really bad so i dont listen to them any more. i mean they have great riffs and lyrical concepts but the vocals just suck and get really annoying, especially when tarja was in the band, because she drones on an on and it makes me want to impale her to a wall!!! and now the vocals are just annoying. there are much better female fronted power metal bands like kerion and visions of atlantis.
09.06.2008 - 17:30
TheBigRossowski
This is questionable, as far as getting into the music itself, nu-metal. Everyone can get into that crap! Yogurt (Spaceballs...) sums it all up "Merchandising, merchandising, merchandising!, Spaceballs the lunchbox!".

They've got Korn, Disturbed, everything at their feet.

I can't even get into power metal... but musically it is better than the music I just referred too!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
09.06.2008 - 19:25
Freezer
I suppose it's power metal, catchy, with understandable lyrics, "not evil" XD The most part of the metalheads start with it
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
20.06.2008 - 21:37
Candlemass
Defaeco
Besides Melodic Metal...
once is was Melodic Death metal ...Now its Metalcore and Deathcore.
20.06.2008 - 22:34
-Soulreaper-
The way I got into it was listening to heavy metal bands since I was young. Bands such as Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Slayer, early Metallica stuff, Dio, and some others thrown in there. Then I got interested in some heavier stuff like Death, Unleashed, Vader, Kreator, God Dethroned, etc. Then started exploring through magazines and such and got into black metal as well. First bands I started to listen to were Dissection, Dimmu Borgir, Burzum, Mayhem, Satyricon...you know, the usual. Then just got into more obscure/less known bands. But most "metal heads" I have talked to have pretty much started out the same way.
03.07.2008 - 07:01
Haightredy
Personally, I think it's easiest to start early and melodic, then gradually make your way into newer Metal, then screaming, then un-melodic music. It would probably be easiest to start with bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin (if you consider them Metal). So I would say the original Heavy Metal.
18.09.2008 - 02:20
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
metalcore and melodic also death metal those got me hooked into metal
18.09.2008 - 21:54
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
NU/Alternative metal...hahaha

edit: ok, seriousely it's heavy metal, IMO. and....also....death metal.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
21.09.2008 - 23:15
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...i think the easiest genre to get into is power metal...it's so cheesy and easy listening...my mom likes it and all my pop friends too
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
21.09.2008 - 23:54
Anathemani@c
I think it's undeniebly NWOBHM... Especially Iron Maiden... And generally the most melodic bands.. This might be from him and nightwish to some old metallica songs..
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
22.10.2008 - 20:59
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Heavy metal like Metallica is an easy way to listen metal for the first time. Also power metal which also can be called "happy metal" and nu metal are easy listenable styles for 'new ears'...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
22.10.2008 - 21:36
Elio
Red Nightmare
It depends on what someone is used to listen...if listens to punk/crossover thrash is the way, if listens to glam rock, probably heavy metal, if likes ambient some black/avantgarde metal, and so on...
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.10.2008 - 00:41
gocasaca
Power and sweet metal of '80-es! It was easiest to me, but i think it is generaly. Extremly melodic, that's why!
23.10.2008 - 01:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by gocasaca on 23.10.2008 at 00:41

Power and sweet metal of '80-es! It was easiest to me, but i think it is generaly. Extremly melodic, that's why!

what did you mean by sweet metal glam bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Britney Foc, Cinderrela or
Hannoi Rocks?
----

23.10.2008 - 01:18
gocasaca
Written by Bad English on 23.10.2008 at 01:02

Written by gocasaca on 23.10.2008 at 00:41

what did you mean by sweet metal glam bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Britney Foc, Cinderrela or
Hannoi Rocks?

Europe, Dokken... Some call it 'sweet', but others 'glam'. It can be disputed. Call it whatever you want, but I guess there is some difference between etc. Europe and Motley Crue. Sweet is, I guess more melodic.
23.10.2008 - 06:55
Alfurion
Account deleted
Written by -Soulreaper- on 20.06.2008 at 22:34

The way I got into it was listening to heavy metal bands since I was young. Bands such as Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Slayer, early Metallica stuff, Dio, and some others thrown in there. Then I got interested in some heavier stuff like Death, Unleashed, Vader, Kreator, God Dethroned, etc. Then started exploring through magazines and such and got into black metal as well. First bands I started to listen to were Dissection, Dimmu Borgir, Burzum, Mayhem, Satyricon...you know, the usual. Then just got into more obscure/less known bands. But most "metal heads" I have talked to have pretty much started out the same way.

I'm starting to do this exact thing. For the past 8-10 years (since I was 7, I'm 16 now) I've been listening to Priest, Maiden, Slayer, early Metallica and basically everything you've listed in there. I've always liked Jersey Hardcore bands like Hatebreed and Throwdown and Biohazard. But just recently (seriously, like in the past 3 days, since I started coming here and finding out a shit ton more bands) I've been listening to stuff that I would have called "stupid, and not real metal, because it screams or whatever" a year ago I'm headbanging to like there's no tomorrow.

Take for instance, I used to watch Headbanger's ball with my dad every weekend before it started sucking hardcore, and the first Amon Amarth video I saw I was like "WTF IS THIS BULLSHIT? GIMME SOME MORE MAIDEN OR PRIEST!" And just on Monday I downloaded the entire discography and discovered the wonders of "The Pursuit of Vikings." Which is probably my favorite song ever right now.
23.10.2008 - 18:59
-Soulreaper-
Written by [user id=35510] on 23.10.2008 at 06:55

Written by -Soulreaper- on 20.06.2008 at 22:34

I'm starting to do this exact thing. For the past 8-10 years (since I was 7, I'm 16 now) I've been listening to Priest, Maiden, Slayer, early Metallica and basically everything you've listed in there. I've always liked Jersey Hardcore bands like Hatebreed and Throwdown and Biohazard. But just recently (seriously, like in the past 3 days, since I started coming here and finding out a shit ton more bands) I've been listening to stuff that I would have called "stupid, and not real metal, because it screams or whatever" a year ago I'm headbanging to like there's no tomorrow.

Take for instance, I used to watch Headbanger's ball with my dad every weekend before it started sucking hardcore, and the first Amon Amarth video I saw I was like "WTF IS THIS BULLSHIT? GIMME SOME MORE MAIDEN OR PRIEST!" And just on Monday I downloaded the entire discography and discovered the wonders of "The Pursuit of Vikings." Which is probably my favorite song ever right now.

Yep, Amon Amarth is truly a great band in my opinion. The Pursuit of Vikings is a really good song but give it time and you will start appreciating everything by them. If you like that then you need to check out Unleashed if you haven't yet. Not really the same music style but just as powerful.
24.10.2008 - 23:49
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i'd say heavy metal is an easy genre to get into too...iron maiden, slayer...who doesn't like them?? it's very usual
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
07.01.2009 - 10:09
Justice
I got into metal with thrash (...and justic for all) but I think now anyone can listen to gothic
07.01.2009 - 11:14
MadGatsu
I think any band/genre where nobody screams or growls is easy to hear for "people not used to metal".

Thats what people that arent into metal usually tell me. Even my parents (who abominate metal) tell me. "The melodies and instruments sound nice, but the singer ruins it all."

:/

Edit: changed from anyone to nobody. Its easier to understand.
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
07.01.2009 - 13:16
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by MadGatsu on 07.01.2009 at 11:14

I think any band/genre where anyone screams or growls is easy to hear for "people not used to metal".

Thats what people that arent into metal usually tell me. Even my parents (who abominate metal) tell me. "The melodies and instruments sound nice, but the singer ruins it all."

:/

Haha, true, a friend of mine who's into Nu Metal and stuff like that once commented Dimmu Borgir's Vredesbyrd: "The guitars are great, but I don't like that screaming idiot, how can you listen to that?"

P.S. Post № 500
----
07.01.2009 - 16:03
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Not all the melodies and instruments sound nice with a band where the singer screams/growls...with brutal death metal bands I've known people to get me to turn it off because the guitar tone is too harsh or too heavy...also, sometimes the tone is like a wall of sound because there is too much distortion where the melodic sense of the chord progression is lost...and solos sometime become muddled for use of only pure effect (whammy, screatching, sliding, etc...)
07.01.2009 - 18:02
Luciferion
I believe any of the cleaner sounding genres like power and folk get it for sure. Like previously mentioned people outside metal have a hard time getting into teh growls of the heavier and darker side of metal and they naturally lean towards that which is more familiar, being clean.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.