Metal Storm logo
Generic European Power Metal - Good Or Bad?

Original post

Posted by Judas, 13.05.2007 - 15:23
So, I think the topic is pretty self-explanatory. What are your opinions on the multitude of European Power Metal bands around today, and why do you have that opinion? The style, often called 'Happy Power' or 'Flower Metal', is inspired by bands like Helloween and Stratovarius, and often uses neo-classical chord progressions along with soaring vocals, sing-along choruses, rollicking drums, frequent keyboards, and shredding guitarwork.

It's predictable, yes, and the lyrics, song-titles, and often even band names are horrendously cringe-worthy, but for me, nothing can brighten my mood and self-esteem better than some awesome tales of dragon slaying, princess rescuing, smiting with steel, and broken love, told in such a melodic and catchy manner.

Some bands in this area of Power Metal are Freedom Call, Magic Kingdom, Fairyland, Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, Power Quest, even Rhapsody Of Fire and Kamelot to an extent... If those names mean anything to you, then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about! Powerscreams, catchy choruses, awesome melodies and a general feeling of invincibility and awesomeness, without feeling truly metal like Manowar. I'm a fan, but clearly it's not all I listen to. It's good in doses, to brighten the day, and to put a smile on my face, but if this was it, well, Metal would be pretty boring. Still, may this genre live forever!

Poll

What is your opinion on standard European Power Metal?

It's awesome! YAAAAAAHHH!!!
It's good in doses.
It depends on my mood/the occasion.
It sucks, Flower Metal is for wimps.
It's uninspired, yet somewhat enjoyable.

Total votes: 245
16.04.2009 - 01:38
Lord_Regnier
Written by Wyrd on 16.04.2009 at 01:08

Thank you vary much for understanding I'm not like that all the time only when I'm pissed off and I have been really Pissed Off the last couple of day's. Another thing is that I used to be a hardcore Death Metal fan and one day I came accros a band called Stratovarius and I found Power Metal and now I think how the Hell could I ever have liked that and now I cant even listin to it any more with out having to get angry.

We should never post when we are angry. I made this mistake myself a few times on other forums. Sometimes we know we should not post because we're in a bad mood but it can be hard to avoid posting nevertheless, I know it.

If you were a hardcore DM fan, then you surely understand this genre. You just happen to don't like it anymore. Tastes change like that sometimes. What is important is to listen to what we enjoy, what puts us in a good mood. After all, music is entertainment and a great way to escape the worries in our personal lives.

I have nothing to add related to Powermetal. I think I've said pretty much everything I had to say about it and the current situation of this genre. The only thing I could add is I hope this genre will, to a certain extent, come back to its roots in the next years (si it could become interesting again for people like me), though I have the feeling it won't happen, unfortunately.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
17.04.2009 - 19:01
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 16.04.2009 at 01:38

I have nothing to add related to Powermetal. I think I've said pretty much everything I had to say about it and the current situation of this genre. The only thing I could add is I hope this genre will, to a certain extent, come back to its roots in the next years (si it could become interesting again for people like me), though I have the feeling it won't happen, unfortunately.

If I may make a bold prediction; I think power metal will generally evolve towards faster and more melodic playing (fast keyboard dominated) in one direction and slower + more symphonic (especially with very simple symphonic arrangements) in the other direction, in any case all the new bands I get to hear sound like that and I think these trends will continue for a while untill the genre has spouted a new direction; hyper-fast pop with quick-paced violins in the background
Then after that new style has been spawned the rest of power metal might go back to a more guitar-oriented sound (heavier riffs, perhaps less focus on catchyness) in an attempt to move away from the hyper-pop

If this doesn't happen, don't blame me, if it does you are welcome to send me presents and hail me as a messiah, women are allowed to come here and get themselves fucked by me

Anyway, what I actually wanted to tell you is that while the genre as a whole is far from it, there are still a lot of newer bands that try do something close to the roots of power metal, a few very good ones too (they're rare, but they do exist)
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
22.04.2009 - 18:50
nehrodwarf
Sry me ppl, I made a mistake. I wanna mean that, at point that I miswrote (does this word exists :p) : that has good bands and bad bands, but it has a lot of great bands. Power metal it's cool.

ps:
... but how I made this fuckin' mistake?!
well I'm human, humans make mistakes, I bet even the magic creatures make mistakes sometimes

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
30.06.2009 - 01:07
Power Metal is my favorite genre of Metal, end of story. I hate people that refer to PM as "Flower Metal" that's absolutely ridiculous! Not everything can be dark and "brutal"..
30.06.2009 - 19:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by PowerMetalKevin on 30.06.2009 at 01:07

Power Metal is my favorite genre of Metal, end of story. I hate people that refer to PM as "Flower Metal" that's absolutely ridiculous! Not everything can be dark and "brutal"..

it has less to do with brutality and more to do with direction and balls. Agent Steel has them. A lot of the "Flower Power" bands don't.

and thanks for completely avoiding the topic con here. what did you respond and why? do you like generic euro power metal?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.07.2009 - 00:17
Written by BitterCOld on 30.06.2009 at 19:56

Written by PowerMetalKevin on 30.06.2009 at 01:07

it has less to do with brutality and more to do with direction and balls. Agent Steel has them. A lot of the "Flower Power" bands don't.

and thanks for completely avoiding the topic con here. what did you respond and why? do you like generic euro power metal?

Uh, yeah I like it.. I figured I cleared that up when I stated that Power Metal is my favorite genre of Metal..

It's all good as far as I'm concerned, although I like a wide variety of PM I would probably say that I prefer the Euro PM over all. I love the melody, up beat tempo and overall catchy-ness of it.
01.07.2009 - 00:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by PowerMetalKevin on 01.07.2009 at 00:17

Uh, yeah I like it.. I figured I cleared that up when I stated that Power Metal is my favorite genre of Metal..

It's all good as far as I'm concerned, although I like a wide variety of PM I would probably say that I prefer the Euro PM over all. I love the melody, up beat tempo and overall catchy-ness of it.

saying you like power metal and saying you like generic euro power metal are two different things entirely.

i like black metal, like doom metal, like sludge, like punk - but i don't like generic watered down or color by numbers versions of those genres.

generic anything pretty much sucks. except for otc medication and soda.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.07.2009 - 19:01
davidharris
Account deleted
It was awesome when it was good.
30.07.2009 - 20:30
DayFly
Written by BitterCOld on 01.07.2009 at 00:24

saying you like power metal and saying you like generic euro power metal are two different things entirely.

i like black metal, like doom metal, like sludge, like punk - but i don't like generic watered down or color by numbers versions of those genres.

generic anything pretty much sucks. except for otc medication and soda.

You know, if you put it that way, this entire thread was kind of useless from the start.
30.07.2009 - 21:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by DayFly on 30.07.2009 at 20:30

You know, if you put it that way, this entire thread was kind of useless from the start.

not entirely. it does prove a point that an awful lot of people are ridiculously easy to please. of course, anyone that's ever looked at other folks voting habits is probably already aware of this.
----

31.07.2009 - 10:13
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Why should he? doesnt like, doesnt like...i dont like many metal genres in general too and cant tell you exactly what i dont like about thrash or so...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.09.2009 - 00:16
Angel Of Mercy
I love Power Metal, there are allways generic bits. (Look at bullet for my valentine compared to avenged sevenfold)

But most of it isn't bad.
----
Your time will come.
19.09.2009 - 00:29
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Wait did you just refer to Bullet For My Valentine and Avenged Sevenfold as power metal?
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
19.09.2009 - 00:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Yeah, let's not insult Avenged Seven Valentines so...
----

19.09.2009 - 07:52
Zuzuz0r
I used to be a fanboy of this genre, since it was the first metal genre I listened to, I used to search for lots of undeground bands and stuff, but then, I got pretty bored, because of many bands lacking talent, still, the few bands I listen from this genre are Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian and Angra(and they are among my favorites), and well, by now, most of the times I prefer the genre to be mixed with other, (Prog Power for example).
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
19.09.2009 - 14:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 19.09.2009 at 00:29

Wait did you just refer to Bullet For My Valentine and Avenged Sevenfold as power metal?

Avanged Sevenfold I can't judge for but at least the latest Bullet For My Valetine is power metal, nothing metalcore or emo about it at all. It's actually more like a copy of Children Of Bodom.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.09.2009 - 18:04
Angel Of Mercy
Sorry, I didn't mean to refer to bullet and avenged as Power metal. They are clearly not.

I was just stating a couple of examples of "generic metal".

Sorry for the confusion.
----
Your time will come.
22.09.2009 - 09:27
Crème fraiche
I love power metal, but the generic stuff is pretty bad. All the 2nd and 3rd string power metal bands are really starting to get on my nerves!
19.11.2009 - 14:54
Angel Of Mercy
What do you class as "generic"?
----
Your time will come.
02.12.2009 - 05:01
His Eminence
Account deleted
As time goes on I seem to like it less and less. Then again, some of the bands I listen to could be considered generic by some...
02.12.2009 - 13:20
Archetype
I'm a power metal fan myself and no matter what genre of music we're talking about, if it's generic and has been done a thousand plus times then it's bound to be less interesting. As for power metal in particular, I can listen to in if I'm in the mood.
02.12.2009 - 16:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I refuse to accept the OP's assertion that the "softer" power metal is somehow "generic". I laugh at the term "predictable", as if at least 90% of all metal bands are somehow not predictable. Besides, anyone who thinks Rhapsody Of Fire sound anything like Helloween are in bad need of a hearing transplant! Just because it's not aggressive or evil sounding, doesn't make it "generic".

Anyways, I love power metal, the "generic" ( ) European, and the US equivelant. It's all about variety, and that's a very good thing.
24.01.2010 - 02:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
"Modern power metal is just pop music with everything turned up."

lol
----

24.01.2010 - 03:26
Lord_Regnier
Written by BitterCOld on 24.01.2010 at 02:39

That's how Most Powermetal albums sound nowadays, indeed.
----
29.01.2010 - 04:12
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Generic anything is pretty shit....I rarely listen to anything if its straight-up powermetal. It must be somewhat progressive or have some other influences that sets it apart. I for one am a big fan of "Kiuas" who isnt flowery by any mean yet still have mythological concepts in their music (no dragons) with speed and lots of aggression and a sense of uniqueness and progression to their sound. Within the first second one can tell whether its Kiuas or not and thats the difference between them and Generic Power metal.

Written by BitterCOld on 24.01.2010 at 02:39

lol

whats wrong with pop music? ABBA was amazing lol
29.01.2010 - 06:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Meh, if "dancing queen" is your cup of tea, so be it. (yes, i also listen to lots of non-metal, some of it vaguely radio friendly).

i just find it a funny statement because so many metalheads on this site rail against "pop" or "mainstream"... when i think the author was, to an extent, correct.
----

29.01.2010 - 06:52
necrovamp
It's bland, when it started to get hugly popular i sued to love it, loved helloween rhapsody, hammer fall etc but then after a bout a yea i just got bored of it, i still listen to it a little bit but it's not my main genre in anyway
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
29.01.2010 - 16:44
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 29.01.2010 at 06:12

Meh, if "dancing queen" is your cup of tea, so be it. (yes, i also listen to lots of non-metal, some of it vaguely radio friendly).

i just find it a funny statement because so many metalheads on this site rail against "pop" or "mainstream"... when i think the author was, to an extent, correct.

Well yeah im sure almost everyone on this site would gang up against pop....but I suppose the pop of the 70's shits all over the crap we have thesedays. So there needs to be a clear distinction made between the music of 30 years ago and the sex-crazed bullshit of today. And tbh..."Dancing Queen" is one of the less good songs in my opinion, but enough about ABBA - just something I grew up with and it stuck.
21.03.2010 - 14:43
Lord_Regnier
Written by [user id=104065] on 21.03.2010 at 04:58

Power Metal is the best music genre in the universe.

It's the best music genre for people who like cheesy commercial garbage falsely labeled as metal.

And are you not this guy who posted "this album is glorious" about every PM album in the reviews section?

With such hopeless fans, there's no wonder this genre sucks so bad nowadays.
Lame music for lame people, I would say.
----
21.03.2010 - 16:13
I_Die_Often
I liked "power metal" in my teens/early twenties... a long time ago... but not since.
I can hardly listen to Maiden and Judas Priest now even.
So IMO, it is a good starting point for someone discovering metal, until they find their niche.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???