Metal Storm logo
Do you think metal fans are more intelligent than the average person?

Original post

Posted by Haddonfield, 20.07.2009 - 01:55
I know this might seem a wierd topic but it's something I've considered for a long time. I will explain. When I was in high school, not many people listened to rock or metal, as you would expect from 11 to 15 year olds. I think people find their personilty at around 16 or 17 years old. We were about 5 rock (metal) fans in a school of 400 pupils. When I moved on to Lycee (French equivalent to College), there were slighty more rock/metal fans, it's funny to notice how those people who listened to Nirvana and co. back in high school suddenly appeared to listen to all sorts of metal bands. We were all drawn together. Basically every metalhead in the school new the others. We were a maximum of 30 metalheads out of 700 students. I must mention now that in high school and Lycee, the rock/metal fans were always average students, getting average marks without working at all, and I was one of them. When I moved on to Uni, it seemed most my metal friends had to, and many more from over colleges. In the first year, of English studies, we were a full line in the amphitheatre who the lecturers depised and saw as rejects and future dropouts. Again, we all got slightly about average grades, just enough to get through to the following year with the minimum of work. Funny enough, along the years us metalheads managed to progress from year to year whilst others droped out. In our third year we were like 20 out of 60 students. During my masters degree, we were 5 out of fifteen. It's as if we're the only people with a mind capable of analysing a subject quickly and intelligently are capable of understanding the beauty of metal. I would like to know whether other people have experienced or noticed similar things or whether it was a one of matter that occured during my education (although the amount of fresh metalhead students turning up every year at Uni tends to justify my statement).

PS: A mate made me notice the same thing with left handed people. Every year the proportion of left handed people in the class tended to rise, I remember one lesson when there were more lefthanded people than right handed and that is not natural.
25.03.2011 - 22:42
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
More than Rappers anyway.
25.03.2011 - 23:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=101272] on 25.03.2011 at 22:42

That's a pretty bold statement.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.03.2011 - 23:08
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.03.2011 at 23:04

I'm just considering the fact that more than half the time they talk I can barely understand them.
And most inner city schools are populated by Rappers, not Metalheads.
25.03.2011 - 23:08
Yasmine
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.03.2011 at 23:04

Well there is this.....the average America rapper can not even come close to speaking his native tongue correctly. Thus......I mean....who I am kidding....they're nearly illiterate. lol
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
25.03.2011 - 23:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
What average American rappers are we talking about? Is this all because of a language barrier?

Gangsters (hoodlums, whatever your term) have their own dialect; it's no different than when I'm talking with someone from the UK and they throw around a heap of words that mean other things on this side of the ocean. Hip hop moguls and rap artists aren't any less intelligent than your average metal musician (and this goes for fans of both styles).

In fact, rap and metal are incredibly similar in terms of their message, marketing scheme, image, target audience, etc.

The next thing you're going to tell me is 50 Cent isn't smart. It's not like he's responsible for one of modern-day's most prominent strategy books.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.03.2011 - 00:05
Yasmine
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.03.2011 at 23:18

What average American rappers are we talking about? Is this all because of a language barrier?

Gangsters (hoodlums, whatever your term) have their own dialect; it's no different than when I'm talking with someone from the UK and they throw around a heap of words that mean other things on this side of the ocean. Hip hop moguls and rap artists aren't any less intelligent than your average metal musician (and this goes for fans of both styles).

In fact, rap and metal are incredibly similar in terms of their message, marketing scheme, image, target audience, etc.

The next thing you're going to tell me is 50 Cent isn't smart. It's not like he's responsible for one of modern-day's most prominent strategy books.

One big long excuse for not being able to speak their native tongue properly. We call this ignorance. Samething with southern US English both dialects from poor education.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
26.03.2011 - 00:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Yasmine on 26.03.2011 at 00:05

One big long excuse for not being able to speak their native tongue properly. We call this ignorance. Samething with southern US English both dialects from poor education.

"The ability to speak does not make [one] intelligent."

Intelligence exists in many forms, including societal consciousness - something rap artists (and metal musicians) have in abundance. Just because Tupac said "it ain't no big deal" instead of "it isn't a big deal" doesn't mean he is a victim of illiteracy; on the contrary, he was a poet in addition to his career as a rap artist.

Of course, not everyone who speaks a broken dialect of English is a poet or even consciously aware of any significant events transpiring in the world around them, but you can't rule out an entire nation or culture based on one rather uneducated* assumption (unless of course you have numbers to back up your statements, in which case I will readily concede to your belief that it is in fact all one big long excuse for not being able to speak English properly).

* pardon the pun, in all seriousness
----
26.03.2011 - 00:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Not to sound rude, but that is possibly the whitest statement I've ever heard. It's a sub-culture language in which certain words or slang holds different meanings than the textbook norm. It doesn't necessarily speak of poor education, and it certainly does not speak of lack of intelligence. I highly doubt many of these people are completely ignorant of proper English. Just different is all. To state otherwise just seems like an ignorant assumption based on watching too many episodes of "Cops".

By the way, that 50 Cent book is actually fairly interesting, much of it pretty typical of a lot of self-empowerment books, but it actually isn't bad judging from the excerpts I've read.

Like I said before, any detractors of other music-based subcultures can be applied to Metalheads as well.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.03.2011 - 00:55
Yasmine
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 00:43

Intelligence exists in many forms, including societal consciousness - something rap artists (and metal musicians) have in abundance. Just because Tupac said "it ain't no big deal" instead of "it isn't a big deal" doesn't mean he is a victim of illiteracy; on the contrary, he was a poet in addition to his career as a rap artist.

Of course, not everyone who speaks a broken dialect of English is a poet or even consciously aware of any significant events transpiring in the world around them, but you can't rule out an entire nation or culture based on one rather uneducated* assumption (unless of course you have numbers to back up your statements, in which case I will readily concede to your belief that it is in fact all one big long excuse for not being able to speak English properly).

Let do this, this will settle it, lets both apply to a college, you do so using ebonics, I will use proper English, or to a great paying job. I certainly would not employ you, ever. Your willingness to defend ignorance is appauling, what else are you willing to defend?

"Uneducated assumption" = an actual uneducated assumption, it's also an obvious self reflection. I speakz dis wayz is not poetry, real writers laugh at that, as a real painter laughs at finger painting adults, and Mozart, Vivaldi, etc would have a heart attack at "rap".

Lastly no I can tell you're way too arrogant to concede anything, don't bullshit me.
----
26.03.2011 - 00:59
Yasmine
Written by Doc G. on 26.03.2011 at 00:52

Not to sound rude, but that is possibly the whitest statement I've ever heard. It's a sub-culture language in which certain words or slang holds different meanings than the textbook norm. It doesn't necessarily speak of poor education, and it certainly does not speak of lack of intelligence. I highly doubt many of these people are completely ignorant of proper English. Just different is all. To state otherwise just seems like an ignorant assumption based on watching too many episodes of "Cops".

By the way, that 50 Cent book is actually fairly interesting, much of it pretty typical of a lot of self-empowerment books, but it actually isn't bad judging from the excerpts I've read.

Like I said before, any detractors of other music-based subcultures can be applied to Metalheads as well.

I'm native America, Ve'heo'eoe!
----
26.03.2011 - 01:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Yasmine on 26.03.2011 at 00:55

Lastly no I can tell you're way too arrogant to concede anything, don't bullshit me.

You call out a lot of people on issues in this thread I'd venture you suffer from yourself. I also appreciate your assumption that I'm arrogant when in fact I was looking forward to you proving me wrong.

I think it's best if we no longer discuss matters, as I see the forums as a means of communicating, not arguing for the sake of arguing. I've got a punching bag for that.

Oh ya, enjoy your stay. :
----
26.03.2011 - 01:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 26.03.2011 at 00:52

Firstly, I totally agree with your concluding sentence.

Secondly, I think The 50th Law has a lot to offer people who lack confidence or simply seek advice on how to power through things they normally wouldn't have the courage to do. During my time at the bookstore I hand-sold about 100 copies in the first week of its release to several business-types and university professors who came in looking for "good non-fiction".
----
26.03.2011 - 01:12
Yasmine
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 01:03

Written by Yasmine on 26.03.2011 at 00:55

You call out a lot of people on issues in this thread I'd venture you suffer from yourself. I also appreciate your assumption that I'm arrogant when in fact I was looking forward to you proving me wrong.

I think it's best if we no longer discuss matters, as I see the forums as a means of communicating, not arguing for the sake of arguing. I've got a punching bag for that.

Oh ya, enjoy your stay. :

Like I said before, any detractors of other music-based subcultures can be applied to Metalheads as well.<<<<<<<<A real uneducated assumption.

lol oh please stop trying to spin the tables back, it's little more than annoying.

Lets go through the incorrect things you posted, my brother, a Linguist speaking I don't know anymore, 7 languages is going to help me with this while I get ready for my date with my bf. So from the expert himself.....

1, the term Ebonics was NOT created by, nor used by Linguists
2, it is NOT a dialected as it's not regional.
3, it IS a cultural sign, a means of indenification.
4, It's also a means of excluding others, a racial buffer so to speak.
5, Ask a person to sit down and write you an article on any given subject, chances are the vast majority of the time they will NOT be able to do it with out use some ebonics here and there due to their piss poor lexicology. Thus the substitution of these words is in fact ignorance.
----
26.03.2011 - 01:24
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
26.03.2011 - 01:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Yasmine on 26.03.2011 at 01:12

lol oh please stop trying to spin the tables back, it's little more than annoying.

Lets go through the incorrect things you posted, my brother, a Linguistic speaking I don't know anymore, 7 languages is going to help me with this while I get ready for my date with my bf. So from the expert himself.....

5, Ask a person to sit down and write you an article on any given subject, chances are the vast majority of the time they will NOT be able to do it with out use some ebonics here and there due to their piss poor lexicology. Thus the substitution of these words is in fact ignorance.

In all honesty, I'm really not following this comment at all. What are those 5 points proving, that I was incorrect about - now we're getting specific here - black people (or...Southerners? Both?) not being able to speak English properly? I know that's a lot of question marks but I'm just confused by your explanation of Ebonics and how it relates to whether or not metalheads are more intelligent than the average person (the average person, in this case, being a rapper I suppose).

Or is this not even related and you're just upset that I "stand up for ignorance"?

The end result of this conversation will likely be a mutual regret for ever having started it, but there is a possibility one of us could learn something here. Otherwise this whole thread will end up like Homer's house in Fat&Sassy's video link.
----
26.03.2011 - 01:44
Yasmine
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 01:38

Written by Yasmine on 26.03.2011 at 01:12

Lets go through the incorrect things you posted, my brother, a Linguistic speaking I don't know anymore, 7 languages is going to help me with this while I get ready for my date with my bf. So from the expert himself.....

In all honesty, I'm really not following this comment at all. What are those 5 points proving, that I was incorrect about - now we're getting specific here - black people (or...Southerners? Both?) not being able to speak English properly? I know that's a lot of question marks but I'm just confused by your explanation of Ebonics and how it relates to whether or not metalheads are more intelligent than the average person (the average person, in this case, being a rapper I suppose).

Or is this not even related and you're just upset that I "stand up for ignorance"?

The end result of this conversation will likely be a mutual regret for ever having started it, but there is a possibility one of us could learn something here. Otherwise this whole thread will end up like Homer's house in Fat&Sassy's video link.

See you won't concede anything, that's twice you lied about that so I think you need an ignore.

"Of course, not everyone who speaks a broken dialect of English is a poet" - proved you wrong about that.

You brought up 50cent as well, not just rappers use Ebonics so it's no form of art, wrong there.

The other points are to explain to you that those people can't actually just suddenly speak proper English.

Lastly I won't regret a thing, I ignore you, this ends. And then your ego doesn't have to worry about conceding a thing and your tiny penis syndrome can continue.
----
26.03.2011 - 01:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Yasmine on 26.03.2011 at 01:44

See you won't concede anything, that's twice you lied about that so I think you need an ignore.

"Of course, not everyone who speaks a broken dialect of English is a poet" - proved you wrong about that.

You brought up 50cent as well, not just rappers use Ebonics so it's no form of art, wrong there.

The other points are to explain to you that those people can't actually just suddenly speak proper English.

Lastly I won't regret a thing, I ignore you, this ends. And then your ego doesn't have to worry about conceding a thing and your tiny penis syndrome can continue.

Of course I'm not going to concede to anything you say because you want me to, I'll concede when I've been proven wrong.

As for proving me wrong about "of course, not everyone who speaks a broken dialect of English is a poet"...you mean to say everyone is a poet? (Double negative, right?)
And I brought up 50 Cent because he co-wrote a strategy book, meaning he's not illiterate. I never mentioned that being a form of art.

But as long as I have my tiny penis and my (presumably) inflated ego, I should be just fine.
----
26.03.2011 - 01:59
Yasmine
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 01:56

Written by Yasmine on 26.03.2011 at 01:44

Lastly I won't regret a thing, I ignore you, this ends. And then your ego doesn't have to worry about conceding a thing and your tiny penis syndrome can continue. .

Of course I'm not going to concede to anything you say because you want me to, I'll concede when I've been proven wrong.

As for proving me wrong about "of course, not everyone who speaks a broken dialect of English is a poet"...you mean to say everyone is a poet? (Double negative, right?)
And I brought up 50 Cent because he co-wrote a strategy book, meaning he's not illiterate. I never mentioned that being a form of art.

But as long as I have my tiny penis and my (presumably) inflated ego, I should be just fine.

Ignored, I was quoting you, YoU iz Stupidz. Maybe you understand this better? Woah can't ignore the staff? Now that's some BS, I'm not even about to put up with this dude, I'd rather leave. Terrible to have put up with some kid or leave, how about you just never address me again unless you've bussiness with me, that'll work.
----
26.03.2011 - 11:44
wormdrink414
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 00:43

I was with you for 99 percent of this. Would have been 100 percent had you said "[Tupac] was a bad poet". But that's just my tu cents.
26.03.2011 - 11:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Yasmine on 26.03.2011 at 01:59

Ignored, I was quoting you, YoU iz Stupidz. Maybe you understand this better? Woah can't ignore the staff? Now that's some BS, I'm not even about to put up with this dude, I'd rather leave. Terrible to have put up with some kid or leave, how about you just never address me again unless you've bussiness with me, that'll work.

My turn.

First of all, I made the assumption you weren't white based on your name (generalizing here, but I've met plenty of Yasmines or Yasmins in my life, none of which have been white). So I think you completely missed the point that I was trying to make with that joke.

Anyways, I'll be out and open with you - the way you're responding to Troy is frankly completely...well, insane. If you read his posts (which I hope you do eventually, instead of continuing to step into totally irrelevant territory,) you will notice he wasn't hostile in the slightest, perhaps a little sarcastic in the topic as a whole, but nothing more, and certainly nothing that condones the behaviour you seem to be sporting toward him, so I hope you more consideration into your future responses. It seems like you suffer from some sort of inferiority complex, seeing as how you fly off the handle over a silly civil disagreement, or the way you go into immense over-analyzing into details that aren't relevant.

The reason you have completely failed in this argument, is that you have yet to prove anything. Instead your only point to support your argument is that linguists have never used the term "ebonics", which is quite a broad, vague statement. But I'll play Devils advocate here for a second, assuming they are uneducated, how does that make them less intelligent?

The one of the main reasons ebonics is never really written into any formal writings is it's a language based almost as heavily on the rhythmic pattern of words as the words themselves.

As far as turning the tables, thats not what I am trying to do, I'm trying to point out that there is no correlation between the intelligence of certain music fans, and their music.

To sum things up, you've replied with a bunch of rude comments, declaring how you disagree with us, yet you really fail to go anywhere past that.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.03.2011 - 17:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Because i like what i like, whoever else likes what i like is smarterer than the dumberer people who don't like what i like. anyone who likes different things than me is stupid. duh.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.03.2011 - 19:42
Void_Eater
Account deleted
How the hell did a debate about ebonics come on a thread discussing metalheads intelligence?
26.03.2011 - 20:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=111774] on 26.03.2011 at 19:42

How the hell did a debate about ebonics come on a thread discussing metalheads intelligence?

I still don't know. If you discover the answer in the future, please quote me in this thread and share it with me.
----
26.03.2011 - 23:33
Yasmine
Written by Doc G. on 26.03.2011 at 11:45

Written by Yasmine on 26.03.2011 at 01:59

My turn.

First of all, I made the assumption you weren't white based on your name (generalizing here, but I've met plenty of Yasmines or Yasmins in my life, none of which have been white). So I think you completely missed the point that I was trying to make with that joke.

Anyways, I'll be out and open with you - the way you're responding to Troy is frankly completely...well, insane. If you read his posts (which I hope you do eventually, instead of continuing to step into totally irrelevant territory,) you will notice he wasn't hostile in the slightest, perhaps a little sarcastic in the topic as a whole, but nothing more, and certainly nothing that condones the behaviour you seem to be sporting toward him, so I hope you more consideration into your future responses. It seems like you suffer from some sort of inferiority complex, seeing as how you fly off the handle over a silly civil disagreement, or the way you go into immense over-analyzing into details that aren't relevant.

The reason you have completely failed in this argument, is that you have yet to prove anything. Instead your only point to support your argument is that linguists have never used the term "ebonics", which is quite a broad, vague statement. But I'll play Devils advocate here for a second, assuming they are uneducated, how does that make them less intelligent?

The one of the main reasons ebonics is never really written into any formal writings is it's a language based almost as heavily on the rhythmic pattern of words as the words themselves.

As far as turning the tables, thats not what I am trying to do, I'm trying to point out that there is no correlation between the intelligence of certain music fans, and their music.

To sum things up, you've replied with a bunch of rude comments, declaring how you disagree with us, yet you really fail to go anywhere past that.

First it wasn't a joke, you're simply attempting to save face.
Secondly an expert in the feild proving facts in a debate is not proof how? In a formal debate the debate would actual end right here. Clearly you've no experience with such things.
Third, if one has no education, nothing learned from parents, never taught to read, no education period as you've purposed. How is that better than a wild animal?
4th, I realize in most cases this is true, but as said so many times now, I Don't know a single rap fan with a college ed ucations, and many of them drop outs. And it's been up for debate to use ebonics in class rooms before so that black kids could pass English, because they can't pass an English class that kids from India, France and other exchange programs can pass with English as their 2nd and 3rd language.
5th, Ive posted a single rude comment to prove a point, I've provided you with facts from an expert which you fail to examine and you simply refuse to think you could somehow be how. I will not speak with anyone like you.
----
26.03.2011 - 23:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 20:50

I still don't know. If you discover the answer in the future, please quote me in this thread and share it with me.

i use ebonics regularly in my reviews... kvlt, grim, necro, satam, tr00...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.03.2011 - 23:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Yasmine on 26.03.2011 at 23:33

...so that black kids could pass English, because they can't pass an English class that kids from India, France and other exchange programs can pass with English as their 2nd and 3rd language...

Ignoring our past encounter and the rest of this thread, could you at least watch your racist remarks? There's really no need for that type of comment here.

PS - It's "proposed" (suggested), not "purposed" (reason for existence + the letter D). I felt the need to clear that up.
----
26.03.2011 - 23:42
Yasmine
Written by BitterCOld on 26.03.2011 at 23:37

Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 20:50

Technically not ebonics, as ebonics does not work the same way.

And don't tell me about watching racists comment as that is completely provable, Oakland city schools, 1997.
2 I don't buy that dude was just joking about me, he thought was some dumb white kid. You tell him to watch it too or I simply assume this is because of our past conversation. I assume you can not be objective until I've seen otherwise based upon your own actions.

Ignoring or past encounter PS - It's "proposed" (suggested), not "purposed" (reason for existence + the letter D). I felt the need to clear that up.

HYPOCRITICAL. lol Don't address me, period, you're harassing me after this.
----
26.03.2011 - 23:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 26.03.2011 at 23:37

I think that means you're dumb, man... I don't make the rules.
----
26.03.2011 - 23:46
Void_Eater
Account deleted
So now you're discussing ebonics and racism... On a thread about metalheads intelligence...
26.03.2011 - 23:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Clearly this isn't going anywhere. As V_E pointed out, we're so far from the thread topic going any further would be considered a journey. And what a delightful adventure it's been so far!

So for back-on-topic, I would argue that no, metalheads are not more intelligent than any other person. Some metalheads are undoubtedly smart, others undoubtedly stupid - the same goes for people around the world, regardless of the music they listen to - regardless of anything, really. It's simple Darwinism. Some organisms or life forms or whatever are just better than others; the kicker is that these beings are not categorized by the types of music they listen to.

I'm sure slim mold spends a vast majority of its time listening to Metallica. :
----