Release date: August 2000

01. Oracle Moon
02. Citadel Of Dreams
03. Into Infinity
04. Dissolution Of The Forms
05. Continuum
06. Desert Shadows
07. Twilight Odyssey

Garden of Shadows' "Oracle Moon" is an exceptional album, with it's own unique style that hooks the listener in a flash. They mix different elements of melodic death metal and progressive metal to create an epic atmosphere full of mystical, yet brutal sounds. This album can only be described as epic, with six of the seven songs over eight minutes in length. Inside these eight minutes however, is a whole new world of brilliance. From crunching riffs and catchy melodies to brutal power; Oracle Moon just has it all.

The music is brutally heavy, yet majestically beautiful at the same time, with a vast number of intricate and inter-weaving lead guitar melodies and harmonies using both melodic structure and amazing technicality. Keyboards are also present, and, while adding to the peaceful side of the album, they do not overpower the ever-present guitars. The long passages of guitar harmonies, generally mid to slow paced, unlike the usual speed of melodic death metal create a most enjoyable listen.

The vocals featured on this album are deep and guttural, and compared to most of the shrieking type vocals of normal melodeath, are often thought to be strange and not suited to the music on the first listen. However, after a few listens the two elements; music and vocals; seem to become a great combination of brutality and peace. On Oracle Moon, Garden of Shadows display magnificent musicianship and songwriting skills. Each song is put together perfectly, with the layers of sound connecting and combining to create the sound that is Oracle Moon.

Overall, Oracle Moon is a brilliant release, and I recommend it to all Opeth fans, and other progressive death metal fans, who are in for a display of melodic brutality. This epic album is a one-of-a-kind, and is a must in any good metal collection.

Highlights: Citadel of Dreams, Dissolution of The Forms, and Oracle Moon.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by BurbotsRevenge | 20.01.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 141 users
20.01.2008 - 04:32
Rating: 10
Fhuesc
Thx for the review, this band it's awesome
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
20.01.2008 - 09:18
FOOCK Nam
I love everything related to epic. But can you tell me do they use clean vocal?
20.01.2008 - 10:38
ylside
Staff
Oracle Moon... I can only agree with the rating. A really great melodic DM album that is clearly "epic".

The only thing is that the album is not one of a kind, you have Garden of Shadow's first album also haha..
20.01.2008 - 11:59
Rating: 10
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by FOOCK Nam on 20.01.2008 at 09:18

I love everything related to epic. But can you tell me do they use clean vocal?

well, if u love epic, you'll love this album

no clean vocals as such, there are some ?choirs? with some symhonic-like vocals in background in a couple of tracks, but no, not really...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
09.06.2008 - 00:58
doof_meister
Account deleted
A perfect album. 10/10.
08.07.2010 - 13:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Still find it a shame that the likes of Be'lakor rakes in tons of fans yet this outfit remains a mystery to most.
06.11.2010 - 01:26
Rating: 9
flamey
Fucking epic. 9,5/10

Hits total: 7524 | This month: 13